Start by marking “Don't You Marry the Mormon Boys” as Want to Read:
Don't You Marry the Mormon Boys

Don't You Marry the Mormon Boys

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  151 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
When Andy McBride met Louisa Martin, he knew he had found the girl for him. There was only one problem: polygamy - a lifestyle that Louisa could not escape and Andy would not embrace. As medical students at the University of Utah, Andy and Louisa fall in love - but can a mainstream Mormon and a Fundamental polygamist overcome the cultural barriers between them? Both realiz ...more
Published November 5th 2007 by Bonneville Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Don't You Marry the Mormon Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't You Marry the Mormon Boys

Michael
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jensen has taken on a daunting task. She has written a love story that bridges two subcultures existing almost side-by-side in Utah. Think Romeo and Juliet, two different ways of life that clash when Andy and Louise meet. Andy, born and raised in the mainstream, non polygamous, Mormon culture of Salt Lake City comes with a lawyer, prosecutor father involved in taking down polygamous men that mistreat women and children. Juliet, excuse me, Louise comes from a strict, polygamous community where wo ...more
Jennifer Hughes
Jul 16, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: lds
This book is a puzzler to review. When I started reading it, I thought it was a cute and well-done piece of Mormon fiction. The writing stands out above that of mainstream LDS authors. I was really enjoying the characters and the conflict of "How will they ever get together?" when within a matter of pages the characters got married and had children who were already 5 years old. Wow. It was so deflating to tie things up so quickly and without giving the reader any of those delicious little savory ...more
Lucy
May 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
The book jacket's summary of Janet Jensen's debut novel, Don't You Marry The Mormon Boys, describes a story about two people from different backgrounds and belief systems (Andy is mainstream LDS and Louisa was raised in a polygamous fundamentalist community) who fall in love at medical school but face overwhelming obstacles in an effort to be together.

That was the story I was expecting and found myself disappointed with the story I was actually given. Andy and Louisa do, in fact, face these obst
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Jun 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds
Andy McBride meets Louisa Martin in medical school and is instantly smitten. However, Andy is a Mormon and Louisa comes from a polygamist lifestyle. After medical school, they go their separate ways, when it seems that neither can live the other's way of life. Andy ends up practicing as a country doctor in rural Kentucky and Louisa goes back to her hometown to practice among her people. After she does this, she begins to learn that life among the polygamists is not all roses and sunshine. As she ...more
Janet
May 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Utah writer Janet Kay Jensen began writing Don't You Marry Those Mormon Boys, "Big Love" was not on HBO, Warren Jeffs had not been arrested, and 400 children had not been removed from the FLDS ranch in Eldorado, Texas. Yet the books publication in 2007 is timely for it examines the very different cultures and practices of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and one particular break-off polygamous group.

Two young medical students, Andy McBride, a returned missionary and mainstrea
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Kathleen
Apr 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
I liked the romance and the insights about the polygamous group the woman comes from. The author made the love story believable and had interesting things to say about how not all polygamists are abusers, but how there certainly are some who are.

If the story had ended with the romance, I would have been okay with it, but it moves into a kidnapping with a kidnapper who is unbelievably stupid (for humor reasons, I guess--though I don't consider kidnapping funny, O. Henry's "Ransom of Red Chief" in
Anne
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Anne by: Janet
You know I love this one!
Linnae
Can this couple overcome their differing religious beliefs?

Andy McBride and Louisa Martin meet in medical school. Over exams, study sessions, and sanity-saving breaks from studying, they fall in love. There's really only obstacle to them riding off into the sunset, but it's a big one: Louisa is from a fundamentalist polygamist sect, while Andy has been raised in the mainstream Mormon church his whole life.

Louisa has been allowed to attend medical school, but always with the understanding that s
Brianna
Jul 11, 2008 rated it liked it
She does a great job keeping you interested in the book because the reader automatically wants to know what is going on from a polygamist's viewpoint. But I wanted to be a part of when Andy and Louisa fell in love and how and why. The book lacked character development. I had no reason to want them to be together because their characters and relationship descriptions were neglected. Also the book was quite jumpy. Bouncing back and forth through different places and times. I really would have like ...more
Pam Williams
Jul 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this book because the author is a friend from the League of Utah Writers, but also because the premise is so intriguing. What happens when two medical students – he's a straight down the line LDS returned missionary, and she's from a polygamous community training to take care of their medical needs – meet at the University of Utah and fall in love? On graduation day, she wins a prestigious award, and then goes back to Gabriel's Landing, her fictitious polygamous community west of Cedar Ci ...more
Ange
Apr 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ange by: neighborhood book club
We read this for neighborhood book club, I hear theres a chance the the author is coming to our discussion group - which would be really cool! This is a good book. If you grew up LDS, are LDS, or even live in Utah - there is a lot you will relate too. A lot of the setting and culture of the book heavily revolves around the LDS faith. From reading the back cover, I really thought the plot of the book was going to be different than it was. After reading it, it goes further with their stories than ...more
Jun 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers of LDS fiction, readers of Christian fiction and faith based fiction
Recommended to Laura by: LDS Book Corner
Another venture into LDS fiction. Andy McBride meets Louisa Martin in med school at the University of Utah. Andy is the product of a mainstream LDS upbringing. He is a return missionary and an all around good guy. Louisa, is from a small, fictional town in Southern Utah called Gabriel's Landing. Louisa is the product of a fundamentalist family. The story revolves around the difference in their religious upbringing. This book will give you a look into
some of the problems inherent in the polygamo
Heather
May 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
I found this book very odd. I liked the insight that she gave on polygamists. I like that she should some are good people with kind hearts, but others are controlling and abusive. It makes your realize that the way some act is a choice not a religion, just like all other religions. However it never documents where she found her information so i am not sure if it is something she just created or actually has information on.

Other than this i did not find it engaging and thought she lost me as a r
Kbrebes
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story with great romantic tension. Jensen brings together a polygamist's daughter with a delightful non-polygamist young man she can never have, and after she falls in love with him while in medical school, and he with her, boy does that hurt! This well-written story provides a look at how a polygamist community operates, showing both the good and the bad. It also shows what it takes to leave…and then recover. Characters from the sub plots were humorous and memorable, as well. I look ...more
Anna
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. What pulled me in most were the cultural insights. It touches on Utah polygamist culture as well as some Utah Mormon (LDS) culture both past and present. The story also gives an insiders look at small town rural Kentucky and another smaller look at Finland. That sounds kind of eclectic, but the author did a really good job at pulling it all together and showing the similarities we have as humans despite our differences. The story is also woven with folklore, backwoods ...more
Judie
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-lds
I thought it was an interesting story. It is definitely an LDS book, since it is about LDS culture and polygamy and the difference between the two. It is also about life in Kentucky and the mores of that population. And it shows that abuse isn't just about one culture or another. It exists everywhere. In this case, it was in the polygamous population as well as in Kentucky. It is also about overcoming traditions and beliefs instilled in childhood. It is a lot about loving people, helpful people, ...more
Vanessa
Aug 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tried-to-read
Ok. I won this one at a writer's conference hosted by the local publisher who published it. The author is a very nice woman, who amazingly chose my smartass answer out of the entries to receive her prize basket. I'm reading it only because she did that. But, I'm skeptical. It's not very well written, so far. She's packed in too much backstory and too many convenient coincidences and unrealistic dialog into just the first chapter. We'll see.
Susan
May 28, 2009 rated it liked it
In medical school, Andy and Louisa meet and fall in love. They have most standards and values in common, but she is determined to return to her family in her small southern town and polygamy and he is LDS. Upon graduation he starts a practice in a small town in the Smoky Mountains in Kentucky and she returns to her family. Both have much to learn and decisions to make. Good story, well written.
Rochelle
Mar 31, 2008 rated it liked it
It was a good book, but I think she messed it up at the end. It makes me wonder who her editor was . . . She had a great ending and then threw in this "4 years later" afterthought as an epilogue and I think it kind of wrecked the book for me. It was unnecessary and a little weird, but overall a good read.
Kathy
Sep 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
This is typical Mormon Fiction. I actually really enjoyed the way the first half was written. But midway through the book it seemed like the writing style changed. The book could have and possibly should have ended once Andy & Louisa were together and resolved the issues with their family. To jump several years into the future didn't work for me. 3 stars because I liked the first half.
Janet C
Jun 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: church
Held my attention. Good story line about a girl who comes from a polygamous family who becomes a doctor and is not able to practice in her community. She is forced to leave by the bretheran. She then marries an mainline LDS beau from college. The book jumps time periods and leaves gaps. But overall it was enjoyabl, a quick read and not your usual LDS chick fiction.
Kristine
May 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Because I had to wait so long for it (from the library ), I was afraid that I'd be disappointed with it -- but not so. It offered an interesting perspective of polygamy--both the positive and negative ramifications of it.
Heather
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book had a great story line but, I felt like it was just written okay. The author never built an emotional tie to the characters and everthing went so slowly and then so quickly. It is as if she got bored herself and decided to end it.
Kathryn
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
great book about enduring to the end through adversity. Touches on poligamy and the controversy within there secs and the mormons being associated with them and their crimes. Its a great book keeps you hooked till the end.
Hillary
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Had a nice concept, but once they finally hooked up (which was WAY too unrealistic), the story kept going on. I think the 13th or 14th chapter was four years later and something with the neighbors kids story. I really really lost interest after they hooked up. I really should have ended there.
Sydna
Jul 07, 2009 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was better than most books I've read with characters who are of the LDS faith. As it started I was afraid I wasn't going to like her slant on polygamy but she quickly eased my mind about that. Interesting people and a comic ending.
Lisa Cox
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book! Not my usual type of book. I usually go for the more graphic and violent books, but I figured since she was nice enough to send this to me when I won another book from her, I could read it. It's a very cute and interesting book. I would recommend it to anyone.
Julie
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very well written. Hard to put down...a real page turner. Highly recommend this author. This book is a work of fiction. The author does not imply you should not marry those of the Mormon faith as the title may seem.
Crystal McDaniel
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was so excited to read this and oh my stars it is so slow. I just couldnt get into it. I read 15 chapters and gave up and returned it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • How to Stuff a Wild Zucchini
  • To Catch a Falling Star
  • Fool Me Twice
  • The Independence Club
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • City of Angels (Rhea Jensen, #1)
  • Grave Secrets
  • Molly Mormon
  • Mormon Polygamy: A History
I am co-author of a literature-based cookbook, The Book Lover’s Cookbook: Recipes Inspired by Great Works of Literature and the Passages that Feature Them (Wenger & Jensen, Ballantine, 2003), and an award-winning novel, Don’t You Marry the Mormon Boys (Bonneville Books, 2007). Gabriel’s Daughters was released in January 2015 by Jolly Fish Press.

Don't You Marry the Mormon Boys won the gold meda