Start by marking “Purple Prose: Bisexuality in Britain” as Want to Read:
Purple Prose: Bisexuality in Britain

Purple Prose: Bisexuality in Britain

Winner:
The Bookbag, Non-fiction Book of the Month, September 2016

Purple Prose: Bisexuality in Britain is the first of its kind: a book written for and by bisexuals in the UK. This accessible collection of interviews, essays, poems and commentary explores topics such as definitions of bisexuality, intersections of bisexuality with other identities, stereotypes and biphobia,
Published September 1st 2016 by Thornapple Press (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Purple Prose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Purple Prose

Start your review of Purple Prose: Bisexuality in Britain
Seawood
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Received a copy as I backed the crowdfunding for this book.
Well worth your time if you are human or interact with humans in any way. Honestly, I think this is a pretty important piece of work for anyone whatever label you prefer, and I'd particularly suggest it to educators, parents and carers for any age group.
Stewart Horn
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it

The publisher sent me a copy of this book in return for an honest review, and having read it in now understand why.

Purple Prose is a collection of nonfiction writing on bisexuality and related subjects, and it’s been an education for me, making me reassess my own attitudes and beliefs and wonder whether I have been subtly biphobic without calling it that.

Each chapter is a collated set of pieces in various formats: semi-academic essays, anecdotes, personal accounts, opinion pieces, even cartoon
Haley Wynn
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
An anthology is a collection of written work that pertains to the appropriate subject matter. In the case of Purple Prose, the general ideas of the book are small inklings that are expanded upon by the "voices" of Britain's primary bisexual activists. The specific issues that Kate Harrad (editor) chose to include were biphobia, bisexual invisibility, ignorance towards bisexuality, discrimination, and sexualization, just to name a few examples. I found that the vast degree which each topic was el ...more
Lance
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
"How do I talk to you about something that most people think doesn't exist?
Sometimes, I feel like an empty chalk line on bitumen, a once-man forever being filled in by other people's expectations and ideas.
"

This book is accessible, broad, inclusive and undeniably needed in society today. The central message that bisexuality is not something that belongs to other people to critique or assign but an identity experienced by you alone was greatly heartening. Right from the first chapter, the insight
Sadie Slater
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I bought a copy of Purple Prose: Bisexuality in Britain, an anthology edited by Kate Harrad, at Nine Worlds a couple of years ago, read a couple of the most obviously relevant sections and then tucked it away on a shelf and more or less forgot about it until someone mentioned in in a comment on a review of The Bi-ble a few weeks ago, prompting me to fish it out and put it back on the to-read pile.

Unlike The Bi-ble, which was simply a collection of personal essays, Purple Prose is divided into th
Lisa Marie Gabriel

I want to start this review by saying there should be a copy of this book available to every Gay Switchboard, Doctor, Headteacher or Counsellor and everyone in the LGBT community (or LG, LGGG...GGGGGGG and even LGb(t) as some of the writers put it) should be encouraged to read it. It is not at all difficult to read and it shows that being bisexual is not a “one size fits all” label. Being bisexual is not about being confused, trendy, greedy or dishonest. Biphobia and bi-erasure are institutional
Bel
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
"The most common thing I hear people say, gay or straight, when I'm talking about bisexuality is 'Oh, yeah. That makes sense. I guess I hadn't really thought about it.'

They really don't think about it. We're all trained by society not to. It can be like owning magical glasses that no one else has."

This book pretty much illuminated a lightbulb over my head, which for someone who thinks and reads about queer issues a lot and has bisexual friends is pretty shameful. I was always reasonably aware of
Fred Langridge
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am biased, because I edited a chapter and wrote loads of other bits, but I did very much enjoy reading this.
Hadley
Aug 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
It had various good points and insights. I love that it chose to do primary research and almost case study-like specificity. It was great to hear voices from all different points of views.

The book starts off as if you, as the reader, are bisexual or questioning if you are one. By the end of the book, it assumes you are an ally. I'm supposing this shift was made so that the book can be read by anyone.

It was satisfying and relieving to hear my thoughts written down- to see that others also have st
alissa
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I could probably have given this a full 5* but I'm pretty stingy when it comes to that rating. This book was all-round one of the most bi-positive books I've read in a very long time. It proved to be an incredibly easy, engaging read with a very light and laid-back tone.

This book can - and should! - really be read by anyone, but I think it would be most beneficial for bisexual people who are newly out (to themselves and others), anyone who thinks they might be bi, anyone who's maybe feeling a b
Charlotte Kelly
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
A really solid and comprehensive look at bisexuality in Britain today. While I didn't gain much in the way of new knowledge in the first couple of chapters, I thought the chapters about how bisexuality intersects with other identities (e.g. being disabled/BME/religious/non-monogamous) especially interesting and informative. I would definitely recommend this to both bisexual people and allies alike as an introduction to the bisexual community in Britain. ...more
Zuzka Jakubkova
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sex-ed
When it comes to sexual identity, bisexuality takes a lot of punches from both the mainstream culture and the LGBT+ community as well. Purple Prose is an anthology of personal testimonials from many bisexuals, albeit closeted, out, disabled, bisexuals of colour, and so on. It is a great guide on how bisexuality can feel from inside. Would recommend.
Sarah Dunn
Mar 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
First book that I've read like this and was really good once I started to get into it and get past the stories that would get you down about being bisexual or your loved one being bisexual. ...more
Shelley Diamond
Sep 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Excellent collection of essays and interviews with bisexual people in Britain. This book not only clarifies the facts about bisexuality, it also delves into the intersectionality of bisexual people in the context of gender, disability, ethnicity, and religion. This book is a deep dive and a welcome addition to the literature on bisexual people. Thank you to the editors and contributors! If you have any questions about the topic, this book will help you understand this community.
Lois
Apr 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Fairly basic but necessary resourcebook and introduction to bisexuality.
Shahira8826
This book is a precious resource not only for bisexuals everywhere but also for the people who want to support them and fight against every form of discrimination.
I wish I had read it sooner!
John Naylor
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free via Goodreads First Reads.

I will start this review by declaring I am autistic, I identify as asexual and I am bi-curious.

Now I again I read a book I consider to be a must read. This is one of those. It deals with bisexuality in Britain in an informative and quite often emotive way. There are facts and personal accounts, some of which are upsetting but all of which deserve to be read.

It deals with the prejudices the bi community has to endure from all sides of the se
Alan
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was pleased to have won this book in a recent Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

This is a totally different read to my usual genres. It's a collection of interviews, essays, poems and more. I found it interesting, even though I am not bi-sexual. Just straight. Recommended.
Theo Webster
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Same-Sex Marriage in Renaissance Rome
  • She-Hulk by Soule & Pulido: The Complete Collection
  • Family of Liars
  • The Long Midnight of Barney Thomson (Barney Thomson, #1)
  • A History of Bisexuality
  • The Planet Dweller
  • Notion for Beginners: Notion for Work, Play, and Productivity
  • Us Versus Us: The Untold Story of Religion and the LGBT Community
  • Smaragdgrün (Edelstein-Trilogie, #3)
  • The Privilege of the Sword (Riverside, #2)
  • Doctor Strange by Mark Waid, Vol. 1: Across The Universe
  • Saphirblau (Edelstein-Trilogie, #2)
  • Virtuoso
  • Corrupt Bodies: Death and Dirty Dealing in a London Morgue
  • Time Trials (She-Hulk, #3)
  • The First Day of Spring
  • The Valkyries
  • The Stonewall Reader
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

"Autumn is as joyful and sweet as an untimely end."   This slightly unnerving quote, from the French poet and novelist Rémy de Gourmont, nicely...
“We need curiosity. Thinking, feeling, loving outside of the rigid roles society wants to press us into should be rewarded.” 0 likes