Start by marking “The Chair” as Want to Read:
The Chair

The Chair

Richard Sullivan has spent the past ten years as an innocent man on death row. Witnessing savage killings at the hands of the prison's sadistic and psychotic Warden, Sullivan decides that in order to survive he must match the brutality occurring in the prison. But as he fights to escape his fate, Sullivan is forced to question his sanity and confront his own horrific past. ...more
Published September 1st 2016 by Alterna (first published October 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Chair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chair

Start your review of The Chair
Nicola Mansfield
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very, very creepy! Originally written in 2015, this new edition comes out in anticipation of the movie release. It also includes the screenplay and extra artwork. This is a psychological thriller wth horror elements because of the extreme violence. It's very dark and violent but the main character makes you sympathise with him. Then comes the twist which really surprised me and turns this little horror story into a great psychological thriller. I love the artwork. Done in black and white, the ...more
Sadie
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic and emotional. Love the art and the story's twist. Very well done!
Kristen
Feb 01, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, horror
I'll admit that I own no graphic novels other than the spawn compilations, so when they sent me a copy of "The Chair" to review, I was rather excited. The cover is well drawn, although the printing on my copy seems to be shifted to the left, cutting the last letter of each of the authors/illustrators names half off. A quick flip through reveals that the entire book is in black and white, nice touch.

Now our story follows a man on death row, surrounded by the criminally insane of the worst types,
Greg
I was lucky enough to snag an interview with the creator (Alterna Comics president/publisher), Peter Simeti, about the horror book and its upcoming film adaptation. Woohoo! Really dug the art and the script, they worked perfectly together. Disturbing, intriguing, twisted.

Check out the interview here:
Amy
Interesting graphic novel that I am sure will make a great movie. The horror in the story comes through great in the drawings. The additional screenplay and background on the set design was also interesting.

I received this book as part of a Good reads giveaway but the opinions expressed are solely my own.
Gayle Francis Moffet
Not my taste, but it definitely fulfills the promises of the synopsis on the back of the book (dark as fuck) and the art's well done and matches the story. I don't want it on my shelf, but I can see how the art plus story makes other people want it to reread.
Elizabeth
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
This felt like I was watching an episode of Criminal Minds and how an unsub came into being.
blake
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movetheneedle
I picked up all of Alternacomics books on an Indiegogo, including this four-set by Peter Simeti (the publisher of Alternacomics). It's a gruesome little horror tale of an eerie prison where our hero—falsely accused of mass murder—awaits his ultimate destiny with the chair.

Black-and-white, 32 pages, this is a highly stylized horror comic, in the EC vein though rather grittier and meant more for adults (rated "M"). Separated from his wife and family for ten years in this dank dungeon, it's hard to
Hugo
Jan 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've really enjoyed the Alterna books I've picked up this year, so it seemed sensible to pick up the publisher's own series, despite misgivings about the art, which looks muddied and poorly staged with indistinguishable characters. Turns out the art's better than the script, which is repetitively grim, unsympathetic and one-note, and the disruptively unlovely lettering. Didn't enjoy this one at all.

(Read as single issues.)
Cynthia Turner
The art work was very good, even in black and white. I could not get into the book, just too harsh and horrible to read for me to really enjoy. Do not think this book is for one to enjoy, more to shock the reader and it did.
Simone Cox
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very grim, excellent art work and a surprising twist at the end.
Nomad nimrod
Interesting.
Elizabeth
Super twisted
Spot
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
creepy and sad.....want to read more
Mary
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mind over body?

This was my first graphic novel to read and review. The format resembled a comic book. It’s drawn in black and white; I would compare it to charcoal art.

The story is about Richard Sullivan’s final days on death row. Simeti leaves nothing out when he describes prison torture, including extreme violence which results in murders, and deep psychological torment.

Sullivan always protested his innocence. This meant nothing to a prisoner on death row with a few days before being executed.
Sera
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I hate giving negative reviews, and it is possible this one just wasn't for me, but let me tell you... it was NOT for me. I tend not to give books one stars because I realize a lot of work goes into the making of them, especially in a graphic novel, so 2 stars it is for this one. For one, the art was poor - as in, muddy black and grey images where you couldn't even tell what was going on; faces looking so similar I couldn't depict one character from the next. Because of this the book was ...more
Debbie
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is dark and very graphic, and I had a very hard time giving a review of the book since this was my first graphic novel. I enjoyed the art and was surprised to see the entire book was in black and white, the author was very descriptive and I was not disappointed in the twist and turns of the story of the innocent man on death row.
Gina
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I received this book as a First Read. The story is dark and intense. The black and white artwork matches the feel of the story.
Angie Smith

• Batman: White Knight
  • The Last Lion: Winston Spencer Churchill: Visions of Glory 1874-1932
  • Mother Russia
  • Tinseltown (#1)
  • Spill Zone (Spill Zone, #1)
  • The Rabbit Listened
“Slayeth the evil that lives inside you, where they are walking the Devil walks too.” 0 likes