Start by marking “Power Play (Scoring Chances, #3)” as Want to Read:
Power Play (Scoring Chances, #3)

Power Play

(Scoring Chances #3)

A freak accident during the Stanley Cup Playoffs put an end to Max Ashford’s hockey career. Despite everything, Max gets back into the game he loves—only this time, behind the bench as an assistant coach of the Spartanburg Spitfires, the worst team in the entire league. But nothing prepares him for the shock when he learns the new head coach is Misha Samarin, the man who c ...more
Published May 9th 2016

Start your review of Power Play (Scoring Chances, #3)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
You don't have to be a hockey fan to enjoy this series. But you must be a fan of hot men playing hard—ON and OFF the ice. Power Play, which CAN be read as a standalone, is my favorite book of the series thus far, and it will be hard to top.

Misha and Max have a history. Misha is the man who delivered the hit that ended Max's brief hockey career. Misha was given a fifteen game suspension, even though the hit was legal and Max's injury an accident, but he's still punishing himself years later.

Mish
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Another awesome audiobook in what is shaping up to be a KILLER series! Hockey is my new crack, baby, and Avon Gale is my main dealer!

Power Play was surprisingly low angst, like the other books in the series, despite having the potential to be a total downer. This book was fun and sexy, with a smattering of seriousness and a big scoop of feelz.

Max is new to bisexuality, having discovered that he likes men as well as women after a particularly revealing trip to Mexico. He, like many other charact
Wendys Wycked Words
Well....I can honestly say that this book is definitely my favorite of this series so far !! This time, we get hockey coaches instead of players...Yummy !!!

Misha and Max have both been hired to coach the Spitfires. Misha as a head coach and Max as an assistant coach. What they don't know, however, is that they've been hired as part of a publicity stunt by the general manager, because of a freak accident that has happened 5 years ago.

Gerelateerde afbeelding

Max was injured during a game, to the point where he was not
Gigi
HAPPY RELEASE DAY!!

How much did I like this book? Enough for CORGI GIFS!

This is the third book in Avon Gale's Scoring Chances series and while I loved the first two books, I believe this is now my favorite.

Power Play is a bit different from the first two books because the two heroes are former hockey players and now coaches for the same team, the Spartanburg Spitfires. Don't worry, there is still lots of hockey action! But the relationship between Max, a former player who retired from the game b
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
3.5 Stars!

UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT

I found myself feeling pretty meh about this one. I mean I couldn't even hardly find any shelves to put the book on....and I have a lot of shelves.

Nothing stood out.....good or bad.

I will say 2 things....

(1) I actually finished this one (though there was some skimming involved). Which is a positive considering I DNF'd the first book in the series and didn't even bother with the second.

(2) This was definitely the best book of the series.

Other than that I can't
☆ Todd
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it

I really liked both MC's, but the story didn't really punch me squarely in the feels, like I'd hoped it would.

It felt a bit muted, especially compared to book 1, with Lane's irreverent, irrepressible antics.

Definitely like, just not quite love this time out.

I can't wait to read Isaac's book, and pairing him with the spitting asshole from the Ravens? Oh Lord, I have really high expectations of where that plot's going to go in the next story.

I'd have to rate this one at around 3.75 stars.

--------
Simone
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
August 2020: Audiobook = ***4 Stars***

********************************

How do you recognize an amazing book?

Umm, noooo... Not by choosing the most beautiful cover – although I love the cover of this book, too. ;-)

No, you know that you are reading a great book when you simply devour it. When you are so into the story that you can't stop reading. When you send prayers heavenwards that nobody will disturb you and snarl at everyone who dares to do so. When you are falling in love with the charact
Ele
I was the minority that didn't like Let the Wrong Light In, but I did like the author's short Christmas story. So I went into this without any expectations.

Let me tell you that Avon Gale NAILED THIS ONE! She nailed it!

This had the humor I expect from K.A.Merikan or Santino Hassell. The characters were real and multi dimensional, the steam was just right, and the dialogue tight and meaningful. I even liked the sports stuff, and I rarely like sports books.

READ THIS BOOK! It goes straight to my 20
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
review removed from GR

description

An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review.
Ami

This was DELIGHTFUL. Seriously, I was having so much fun reading this one. At first I was worried with the level of angst -- considering that Misha and Max's relationship started not in a very good way. I thought Max would be having trouble with Misha as part of coaching team, and Misha would be ridden with guilt.

Boy, was I glad that those DID NOT happen. Oh, Misha still had guilt -- even if the incident was not exactly his fault. But Max, oh Max, sigh ... he was just like a steamroll
Jewel
4.5 Stars

Power Play is my favorite of this series, so far. They just seem to be getting better and better! We also get some delicious angst here, that wasn't in the first two books, so I am very happy right now.

Misha and Max have a history on the ice and it's a bit of a painful one that cost them both their careers. Max's because the accident was in the form of a head injury that killed his peripheral vision and Misha's because he never forgave himself, even though it wasn't his fault and was to
Shile
I Loved this so much. I couldn't put it down until i was through.

Silly me I skipped this and went on straight to read Empty Net. Not knowing what I was missing.

description

Max and Misha were amazing as a couple. They fit perfectly; the chemistry was there from the start. The banter was on point.

Max well.. i adored him he was this happy, optimistic character who saw the good in everyone and funny too. I loved how he embraced his bisexuality.

“I’m Russian,” Misha said with the faintest hint of a smile. “We an
Heidi Cullinan
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Going to be honest, I'm already rereading this book, and it's only been three days.

I'm just dipping my toe into Ms. Gale, but she shows all the signs of being right up there with K.A. Mitchell for comfort read and auto-buy. Which is saying something, because this book and all the others I've read so far are about sports and I do not do sports. Watch, play, or comprehend.

But I love them in this book, and in all Gale's books so far. Power Play isn't exactly enemies to lovers, and it's not an angst
Adam

The set-up of Misha and Max's relationship is pretty ominous. They have a history that's less-than-pretty. But this isn't an enemies-to-lovers tale, because Max acts like an adult and doesn't let an accident consume him. Any author that writes a mature and rational character deserves praise.

description

However, this is an opposites-attract romance, and I loved that. Max is upbeat and always diving in headfirst, while Misha is a lot more stern and cautious. They made for a very entertaining pair fr
Leslie
**Re-read 5/13/20-I had to re-read this again since I snagged a copy when it was free yesterday. Even though I have approximately gazillion books I keep starting and not finishing lately. I still adore Misha and Max. This is such a beautiful story. No manufactured angst. That doesn’t mean it’s light. Misha has a lot of things from his past he has to work through. But it’s just lovely. 🥰 And also super hot. 🔥😂🤷🏻‍♀️

**Re-read 4/2/20- Review and rating hold true. I still loooooove Misha and Max. I
Kaje Harper
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've enjoyed every book in this series - this one would easily stand alone, should you choose to start here. The only links to the others are minor character references. This book is perhaps the most emotional of the three so far, but still has a light, fun and warm overall tone.

Max's NHL career ended after a hard check that knocked him down, causing his head to hit the blade of a stick. The freak accident damaged his peripheral vision, but he's not otherwise disabled by it. He was bitter, and
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
Re-read: 11.12.2018
I still love the scene between Misha and Isaac. There's something special there, a father-son bond that should've been exploited more. The book was still an alright read, though, again, not the best on in the series. Probably a second or third to Isaac's own book.

⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Might contain spoilers*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

This book circles around assistant coach Max Ashford (29) and head coach Mikhail ‘Misha’ Samarin (40), who has a past with one another. A past that ended their career as ho
Ariana
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ku, lgbtq
I’m not massively into sports romance, particularly when it’s a sport I have no experience of at all. It’s like watching a film with subtitles – you read them, but you don’t get all the subtleties of that language. Still, I’ve read quite a few, and two in this series, but it’s never something that draws my attention.

So, why did I enjoy 'Power Play' then?

a. *whispers* - because there isn’t too much hockey in it.
At least for most of the book. Inevitably we are part of a few training sessions and m
Debra
Review originally posted at Sinfully.

I can always tell when I’m reading an Avon Gale story. To me, she has such a distinct voice and whether it’s hockey talk, snarky internal musings or the interplay between the characters, her books always put a smile on my face. I know I’ve said it before, but her joy in writing these stories really does come through on the page.

Initially hired as a publicity grab by the sleazy owner of the last place Spitfires, the two new coaches are smarter than t
BWT
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

The third story in the Scoring Chances hockey series delivers another fun, funny, low angst, sexy as hell and thoroughly enjoyable tale as I've come to expect from Avon Gale.

Misha Samarin and Max Ashford are hired to coach the Spartanburg Spitfires, the worst team in the ECHL, not just because team owner and General Manager Jack Belsey hopes they can turn the team around, but because of their mutual history. The one where during the Stanley Cup Playoffs years ago Misha threw the hit tha
Norah Una Sumner
Can I get a round of applause for my lord and saviour Avon Gale?

I sometimes can't believe that the first two books in this series are actually a part of this series. Not only is the story of Power Play more complex and generally better, but the writing of Avon Gale, in my opinion, also got better. I was pushing myself to write a review for both Power Play and Empty Net last summer, which are, in my humble opinion, Avon Gale's best two books to this date, so I decided to reread both of them this
Renée
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it

I liked it.
It was cute.
It had its funny moments.
I honestly enjoyed it.
But I'm not fan-girling over it.
And I really wanted to be!!
Cuz everyone else is.
So I'm underwhelmed.
Fuck.
Dani
Avon Gale just nailed it! I’m so happy that I listened to you, Simone.

I thought it was going to be full of drama and angst because of the blurb that says Max couldn’t continue with his professional career as a hockey player thanks to an accident that involved Misha on the ice. Imagine my surprise when I see this is a feel-good story; the only one who’s got a bit angsty was Misha but as he says, is a Russian thing.

“Why did you do that? Why didn’t you take it?”
“I’m Russian,” Misha said with th
Christelle
2 stars : sadly, it didn’t work for me.

Sadly because it got all I like : mature MCs, hockey coaches challenged to make a good season from a team at the bottom, opposites attracted to each others,…
But the whole time, I couldn’t connect with the characters. With the story either : it felt contrived. The only moment I felt something was each time the author referred to one of the MCs as dumb : that annoyed me.

A popular book with great reviews, but this series is not for me.
Ed Davis
May 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know why I haven’t read more books by Avon Gale. I thought Let the Wrong One In was an absolutely brilliant book. For some reason I didn’t read anything else by her until this. I loved Power Play even though I have never really cared about hockey. Misha and Max were great and I know the next book is about Drake. I won’t wait so long to read more of her books.
Lisazj1
Dirty Kinky Elf sure knows the way to my heart, hot men and hockey! <3 Thank you for the gift!! xx

*Edit*

Oh man, did I love this. Avon Gale really knows how to write not only her hockey, but amazingly complicated *well, not Max!* real characters that you can't help but to love, and to do anything less than cheer for them.

I was a completely melted, mushy puddle for the whole book. Everything just went straight to the feels, everything. I really loved Max, he was so adorable! Surprisingly, he ende
Eugenia
Listened to this for the 3rd time in this comfort, slow binge of a phenomenal series! It’s probably better each time I listen to it. I love hockey guys and I love these books. They are sporty, sexy, fun and well written. The narrator also rocks!

Not much of a review, but what can you do when you’re feeling super lazy and wanting to move on to the next book in the series?
~Kristin~
4.5 Stars
I freaking love this series, I wish I hadn't read the excerpt at the end of the book...because I really, really want to continue on and read that book, badly!!
Fani *loves angst*
Re-read Dec 2020
Can't.Get.Enough.

Re-read May 2018
Still excellent. I want a Misha too :)

Considering I didn't even manage to finish the first book of the series, I took a huge risk picking this up, but it paid off :) I love Russian heroes and Misha with his brooding behavior, tall & blond build, didn't disappoint.

It was yet another story of two men falling in love without much drama from either side, which is usually not my style, but it was so well done, I couldn't put it down. I also do

• Blindside Hit (Toronto Wolverines #1)
  • Winging It
  • Home & Away
  • Face Offs & Cheap Shots (CU Hockey, #2)
  • Common Goal (Game Changers, #4)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • Roughing (Portland Seabirds, #1)
  • Goal Lines & First Times (CU Hockey, #3)
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • Power Play (Denver Direwolves, #1)
  • Crashing the Net (Crashing, #1)
  • Double Shifting (Boston Otters, #1)
  • Home Plate (Easton U Pirates, #2)
  • Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)
  • Power Plays & Straight A's (CU Hockey, #1)
  • Try Me (Extracurricular Activities #2)
  • Bat Boy (Easton U Pirates, #1)
  • The Understatement of the Year (The Ivy Years, #3)
See top shelves…
Avon Gale lives in a liberal Midwestern college town, where she spends her days getting heavily invested in everything from craft projects to video games. She likes road trips by car, rock concerts, thunderstorms, IPAs, Kentucky bourbon and tattoos. As a queer author, Avon is committed to providing happy endings for all and loves to tell stories that focus on found families, strong and open commun ...more

Scoring Chances (5 books)
  • Breakaway (Scoring Chances, #1)
  • Save of the Game (Scoring Chances, #2)
  • Empty Net (Scoring Chances, #4)
  • Coach's Challenge (Scoring Chances, #5)

News & Interviews

“There’s a setting between “hate” and “sucking his cock,” Max. Find it and dial it there. Quick. Max” 3 likes
“And I told you, 'Honey, you'll know when its right because they'll be your best friend and you'll like kissing them.' And she said, 'But what if I have a girl best friend like Mommy?' And I said, 'Schyler, if you end up with a girl like your mommy then you'll be just as lucky as I am.” 3 likes