Start by marking “The Intruder at Number 40” as Want to Read:
The Intruder at Number 40

The Intruder at Number 40

A dark and thrilling short story featuring characters from The Sudden Departure of the FrasersHe sold 40 Lime Park Road months ago. So why is he still visiting the house?

Ryan Steer is an estate agent in property hotspot Lime Park, gatekeeper to a growing population of well-heeled families and affluent couples attracted by the area's promise of a tranquil suburban
Published April 5th 2016 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Intruder at Number 40, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Intruder at Number 40

Start your review of The Intruder at Number 40
Margaret Madden
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Great little short story, which if you've read 'The Sudden Departure of the Frasers' you're sure to enjoy. I love Louise Candlish's writing. Tense yet subtle.
Aimee Hyndman
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
"The Intruder at No 40" is a short story featuring characters from Louise Candlish's "The Sudden Departure of the Frasers." I read, and loved, "The Sudden Departure of the Frasers" last year, so much so it made my top ten favourite books of 2015! So I was really excited to read this short story based on characters from that book. My usual complaint with short stories is that they are over too quickly. But I can't say the same for this one. The story played out nicely over the 30 odd pages, and I ...more
Agi
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, 2016-releases

Last year I read and totally enjoyed "The Sudden Departure of the Frasers" by Louise Candlish, so much that it was one of my books of the month and I couldn't stop raving about it. so of course I was very excited to hear that Ms Candlish is publishing a short story featuring the characters from the above mentioned novel - I am about to start reading "The Swimming Pool" by this author and I thought it is a great timing for this novella.

However, after few pages I felt very confused and didn't stop
Cleopatra  Pullen
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story, own
I was delighted to discover this author from the book this is linked to; The Sudden Departure of the Frasers. This short comes in at 33 pages and features Amber Fraser of the title…
The Intruder at Number 40 was released earlier this year in the run up to the authors fantastic tale The Swimming Pool, so perhaps the idea was to get the authors name in the forefront of the readers mind in readiness. Again this was an enjoyable enough story, but apart from the house at Lime Grove, the very one the
Gloria
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story
Ryan steer sells property. His girlfriend Julie, want to start a family but Ryan does not want to commit. In fact he wants out of the relationship. He becomes obsessed with the wife of a couple who purchased No 40 Lime Toad and prior to them moving in places a hidden camera in the smoke detector and over months watches the wife until they sell up and move away.
Unable to retrieve the camera he fears his actions will be discovered.
A very good short story.
Karen
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*
A very short but very enjoyable read. I haven't yet read The Sudden Departure of the Frasers although this didn't matter. The story was more about the very creepy estate agent who sold them the house. A very good read to while away 30 minutes or so.
Jenny Worstall
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great short story that adds another dimension to the fabulous 'The Sudden Departure of the Frasers' and confirms all my deeply-held suspicions about estate agents.
Sheena Thorogood

• Lies Lies Lies
  • You Sent Me a Letter
  • Whistle in the Dark
  • I Invited Her In
  • After the Party (Ralph's Party #2)
  • Wherever She Goes
  • Don’t Tell Teacher
  • The Honeymoon
  • The Colour of Bee Larkham’s Murder
  • All the Little Pieces
  • The Walls
  • Do Not Disturb
'A superb thriller' Washington Post on OUR HOUSE

Hello! I'm the author of thirteen novels, including OUR HOUSE, a #1 bestseller in paperback, ebook and audio and winner of the British Book Awards 2019 Book of the Year - Crime & Thriller! My newest release is THOSE PEOPLE, which is in the same thriller or 'suburban noir' genre.

Before writing fiction, I studied English at University College