Start by marking “A Map for Wrecked Girls” as Want to Read:
A Map for Wrecked Girls

A Map for Wrecked Girls

We sat at the edge of the ocean—my sister Henri and I—inches apart but not touching at all. We'd been so sure someone would find us by now.

Emma had always orbited Henri, her fierce, magnetic queen bee of an older sister, and the two had always been best friends. Until something happened that wrecked them.

I'd trusted Henri more than I'd trusted myself. Wherever she told me
Published August 15th 2017 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about A Map for Wrecked Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Map for Wrecked Girls

Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,085 books — 8,362 voters
Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny HanThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasThe Upside of Unrequited by Becky AlbertalliBy Your Side by Kasie WestOne of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus
2017 YA contemporary
205 books — 585 voters

More lists with this book...

Dahlia
May 25, 2017 added it
Shelves: 2017-releases
Read this book from cover to cover while in labor. It's kinda hard to think of a better endorsement than that.
Jess
Mar 02, 2017 marked it as to-read
02/03/2017

A gorgeous cover, but.... why does there have to be a boy? Why can't sisters discover and explore their relationship without the catalyst of a boy???
Carol (Bookaria)
This is a story of survival and complex sibling relationships.

Emma and Henri are teenage sisters in a strained relationship. While vacationing in Puerto Rico they decide to go on a boat ride with a couple of young boys they met on the island. An accident happens and they end up stranded on an uninhabited island with one of the guys.

The story is narrated from the point of view of Emma and alternates between the present and the past. This is a novel about sisterhood, first love and survival under
Jill
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Dang I read this book so fast I didn't even mark it as 'Currently reading' on here xD

****
After thinking about it for a few days, I've decided to lower my rating by a star. I thought this book was quick, entertaining, and had some good themes. However, I doubt I'll remember the characters in a week and I did have some major problems with it.

It was one of those "high school party" books where every few pages 15 year olds were getting so drunk they couldn't walk and I just cannot relate to that in
Jessica Taylor
Feb 06, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote-it
Thank you for checking out A MAP FOR WRECKED GIRLS! Writing this story was such an escape for me – I hope it will be that for you, too!

If you pre-order between now and August 14, 2017, send me your receipt and mailing info - I'd love to send you a limited-edition lapel pin. Details at www.jessicataylorwrites.com/preorder-...

xo,
Jessica
Kristin
Guys.

I thought I knew what this story was about, but as I kept turning the page I realized it wasn't about these girls being stranding on an island. It is SO much more than that.

So many questions! I couldn't stop turning the page. The first chapter sucks you in with beautiful storytelling. Jessica Taylor writes in such a present way, that you feel attached to intimate moments of the mundane. Every breath Emma takes, you take.

Told from two story lines, I honestly couldn't tell if I wanted to be
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

I want to thank NetGalley and Penguin Young Readers Group for providing me with this copy in exchange for an honest review

I have some issues that I want to talk about , but at the same time I have so many mixed feelings about it that I don't know how I'm going to do it in an appropriate way, I need time guys lol. I had some problems with the characters and their actions, but I think the final message is great , I really liked that and I ended up getting up my rating because of that. I enjoyed i
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
2.5/5 I love survival books, especially desert island ones, but I was mostly bored throughout this read. The survival aspect takes a backseat to sister drama and working through past hurts, which I found to be pretty petty. The ending felt abrupt/rushed. I think others may enjoy this as a YA beach read, but it just didn't work for me.
S.M. Parker
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I INHALED THIS BOOK. A Map for Wrecked Girls is a powerful, compelling novel that stole my breath. Taylor writes survival like a master. And there's A LOT of survival. When Emma, Henri and Alex are stranded on a remote island, they are forced to endure hardships that are gut-wrenching and relentless and SO REAL! I literally couldn’t put the book down because I needed to know…well, *everything*. Without giving spoilers, this book is so much more than a survival story; it is a story of personal gr ...more
Suzanne
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A captivating story of survival, family, love, & betrayal. This story had so much emotion in the story that it would be difficult for people to turn away. It really shows the strength of the bonds that tie sisters together, and humans' will to survive against nature.
Julie Murphy
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A masterfully written tale of survival, sisters, and love. Jessica Taylor is an up-and-coming name you won't soon forget. I LOVE THIS BOOK!
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

*Disclaimer: An ARC of A Map For Wrecked Girls by Jessica Taylor was provided to me through NetGalley First reads via the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

Initial post reading thoughts:

First of all, can we talk about this cover? Beautiful. I didn't really know exactly what I was getting myself into with this story when I entered the Goodreads giveaway, but when I found out that I had won, I went back and looked at what the synopsis for the
Taylor Knight
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
I was sent an ARC of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

I wanted to love this book, I really did, but there was a few things that I just couldn't overlook.
The first thing I didn't like was how dependent Emma was on her sister, Henri. It was so unhealthy and concerning. It was also extremely annoying. Emma was obsessed with her sister and couldn't think for herself. All she ever thought about was her sister.
The second thing I didn't like was Alex. I personally don't thin
Alexandra Sirowy
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the perfect read to get me in the mood for summertime. I finished A Map for Wrecked Girls in just two sittings. Part contemporary novel, part survival thriller, part romance, trying to figure out what cataclysmic event drove a wedge between these once-close sisters pulled me all the way through. Suspenseful, emotional, tender, unique, and super entertaining! Take this one to the beach, on vacation, or on a lounger in your backyard. Can't wait for Jessica's next book!
Just Reading Everything
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeously told, captivating story about sisterly bonds and desperate survival that'll have you hooked until the very end.

Emma and her older sister, Henri, have always been inseparable. There for each other during both good times and bad, they are each other's best friends. But when they find themselves shipwrecked on a deserted island with a gorgeous boy with a secret past, they must try and fight for not only survival, but a way home. The unbreakable bond between both Emma and Henri has been
Cori Reed
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars!

I went into this book completely blind, and at the beginning I was so excited! Sisters and a cute boy stranded on an uninhabited island! I love great sibling relationships AND cute boys.

Sadly, this book was very okay. The sister relationship was entirely toxic, even when it's good, it's bad. Henri was honestly awful. Like, the worst. No thank you.

I think a lot of people would enjoy this, but I felt fairly annoyed and underwhelmed.
Mandy
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
7/17/17
More like a map for a wrecked TBR. How am I supposed to go on after finishing this? Wow, this was good. So good. Totally was so not prepared for this level of goodness. And wreckedness. And apparently ability to form complete sentences.

7/26/17
To tell the truth, when I won this book from the wonderful ladies, Krysti and Sarah from YA and Wine & The Clever Reader respectively, from their epic meme, #ARCstravaganza. I had two choices, and this had such a pretty cover that I totally grabb
Sarah Glenn Marsh
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for anyone who likes their summer island getaways with a healthy dose of adrenaline!

This harrowing story of survival and sisterhood kept me turning pages late into the night, and when it was over, left me with a whole mess of feels. HIGHLY recommend.
Elizabeth La Lettrice
This was a great story of survival, sisterhood, and love. The story starts with a ship(boat)wreck and it's survivors - Emma & Henri Jones and a boy named Alex they had just met while on vacation in Puerto Rico. Alternating with the story of their attempts to survive on a deserted island is the story of how Emma & Henri's close relationship as sisters fell apart just months and weeks earlier.

I loved Taylor's ability to write the complexities of the sister relationship, from codependency
Emily
3.75 stars.

Overall, this book had very powerful moments, but also I don't think it's one that's going to stick with me for a long time.

I also went into it expecting it to be more of a thriller, and while the survivalist aspects were often thrilling, the "mystery" itself was not what I expected it to be.

With that being said, I still really did enjoy my time reading this book, especially with the development of the characters. It definitely wasn't the book's fault that I expected it to be somethin
Bri •Books and Bri•
Urgh, I have no idea how to rate this. Indecision, my best friend.

I loved the premise of the story, two sisters with a strained relationship stranded on an island where they have to rely on one another and work to rectify their relationship. A great idea, but the execution and the characters left a lot to be desired.

Dear Henri:
I didn't like you. In fact, I hated you. Like, A LOT.
You did a lot of really shitty things to your sister and Alex, you acted self-entitled and unsympathetic throughout
Sandra
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Emma and Henri are sisters. They have always been very close, best friends. During a business trip with their mother, the girls go for a boat ride with two boys. Disaster strikes, and they are ship wrecked. The boat is destroyed. But that is not all that is wrecked. Just prior to the trip, their close relationship is also wrecked. It takes a deserted island for them to face the truth.

I did not expect to like this book so much! Chapters alternate between the sisters being stranded on the deserted
Melissa
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A destructive relationship between two sisters, a beautiful boy, a deserted island.... it’s the perfect set-up for something big. I really liked that book, even if the last page left me wanting more... too cheesy for the story itself.

I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review.
Kim
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a steamy, sexy story of sisters wrecked on a desert island with a mysterious boy. Only, turns out, the island has nothing on how hard it is to understand and reconcile our deepest fears and regrets. The 16 year old girl in me just ate this up.
Katie Nelson
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jessica's writing is beautiful. The story has everything I love: adventure, complicated relationships, and an underlying love for the people close to us. Add this book to your TBR!
Lisa (Lisa and Things)
I loved the dynamics of the sister relationship in this book! If you like contemporary with adventure, strong female characters, sisterhood, and a bit of romance, I highly recommend you pick up this gem. "'To All the Boys I've Loved Before' on a desert island" is definitely an accurate description :)
Joanna Rowland
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jessica Taylor's A Map For Wrecked Girls is breath taking and beautiful. You'll want to get stranded on an island with this book. Every word will make you want to turn the page. What I love most about A Map For Wrecked Girls is that it captures the love, loss, betrayal, and survival of sisters in the ultimate test while still giving a love story I wanted to get lost in.
Brandy
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
Just in time for summer - this is a must have read for the beach! It is a thriller, romance, suspense, has sibling angst - you name it this book has it! It's a true test of love and the ultimate test of survival. Loved this book! Can't wait to read what Jessica writes next! 5 stars!!
Adrienne Young
So excited for this!!!
Danny
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!

Little slow at the beginning. An intense story of survival which I enjoyed, and the sisters mending their relationship. Had a hard time with the characters.
  • Deception So Deadly (Deception So, #1)
  • Miles Away from You
  • Louder Than Words
  • Love and Other Train Wrecks
  • The Summer of Broken Things
  • Being Audrey Hepburn
  • Fragile Chaos
  • Brave New Girl (Brave New Girl, #1)
  • When I Am Through with You
  • Echo After Echo
  • The Possibility of Now
  • We Regret to Inform You
  • Calling My Name
  • Pearl
  • Secrets and Lies (Capital Girls, #2)
  • A Charmed Life (The Charmed Life, #1-3)
  • A Fierce and Subtle Poison
  • Celtic Run (Jake McGreevy)
Jessica Taylor adores atmospheric settings, dangerous girls, and characters who sneak out late at night. She lives in Northern California, not far from San Francisco, with a law degree she isn’t using, one dog, and many teetering towers of books.

A MAP FOR WRECKED GIRLS, her first young adult contemporary thriller and a Junior Library Guild Selection, will be published August 15, 2017 by Dial Books
“Nobody could hold the same place in your heart as your sister. Love or hate her, she was the only person who grew up exactly like you, who knew the secrets of your household—the laughter that only the walls of your house contained or the screaming at a level low enough the neighbors couldn’t hear, the passive aggressive compliments or the little put-downs. Only your sister could know how it felt to grow up in the house that made you you.” 12 likes
“Henri held herself as if only her arms could keep her pieced together, and I saw that behind all her fake control—throwing herself at a teacher, carving our dad out of her heart—was something fragile. I wish we’d seen it sooner—my dad and Mr. Flynn, they had a responsibility to see it, to do better. Those moments were my sister spinning out.” 2 likes