Start by marking “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom” as Want to Read:
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

(Chicka Chicka #1)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  149,016 ratings  ·  4,610 reviews
The 26 characters in this rhythmic, rhyming baby book are a lowercase alphabet with attitude. "A told b, and b told c, 'I'll meet you at the top of the coconut tree'"--which probably seemed like a good idea until the other 23 members of the gang decided to follow suit. The palm tree standing straight and tall on the first page begins to groan and bend under its alphabetica ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by Beach Lane Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, please sign up.
BB Burkett U just download it then tap it then u can read it
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sami yeah its awsome i <3 it too its great for kids 2-18years old ?:)…moreyeah its awsome i <3 it too its great for kids 2-18years old ?:)(less)
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
4,673 books — 6,053 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
2,657 books — 1,846 voters

More lists with this book...

·  149,016 ratings  ·  4,610 reviews

Start your review of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
Jason Koivu
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
* * * Sung & reviewed by my niece and I * * *

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is an alphabet learning book and waaay below my 6-year-old niece's reading level, but we enjoyed the heck out of it anyway!

Letters A through Z climb up a coconut tree. Eventually they fall with a boom, only to begin all over again.

The rhyme scheme in this book makes it excellent for singing. Plus, the words "chicka chicka boom boom" punctuate some of the pages, making for a great chorus. So, I sang the book and my niece provide
Quinn Breen
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books-ever
25/25 Q's @MRS.MORGAN

This book puts Shakespeare and Hamilton to shame. A children's book, yet studied by Harvard and Yale scholars. Albert Einstein and Bill Nye the Science Guy were read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom as children. Upon dissection of a child's brain, they found that this book had increased the size of their frontal lobe by 500%. In fact, to be accepted to Harvard, one must write a 30-page essay about the significance of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. It is said, that students who read this bo
Andre Gonzalez
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quick and fun read with the kids!
Stephanie
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a story about the alphabet letters climbing a coconut tree. The lower-case letters climb up the tree, but the tree bends and the letters fall out. Then capital letters (the older relatives) help the lower-case letters back up into the tree. Each of the lower-case letters gets hurt during the fall from the tree and the book describes each letter’s injury. Then, at night, letter “A” dares the other letters to catch him while he climbs the coconut tree.

Chicka Chicka Boom
Lisa
Oct 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this one. I read it to Gabe for the first time today and I can tell he's going to love it too. He was enthralled by the rhythm.
midnightfaerie
Jun 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Although I see this on many children's lists, and it was in the "Kindergarten box" I borrowed from the library (A whole box you can check out that are picked out a head of time based on a theme, letters, numbers, shapes, etc.), but my kids found it "okay". I'm wondering if maybe it just didn't hold their attention long enough for them to understand the story. It' is a cute concept with nice illustrations, just not one of our favorites.
Beth
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid
We read this often. It makes Emily smile. :)
Robyn
Sep 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is one that I remembered reading as a kid but before I re read it I couldn't remember what it was about. It was a fun tongue twisting rhyming book that I'm sure any kid would enjoy reading/listening to. The colorful pages and big print make it easy and entertaining to read as well.
La Coccinelle
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a great example of why you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

I wasn't even sure what I was in for when I picked this one up. The cover doesn't do the book any justice. It's an alphabet book in rhyme, and what a rhyme it is! To really appreciate it, you should read it aloud. I did (thank goodness there was nobody around!) and got totally sucked in. It's almost like you're performing a chant, or one of those clapping games from childhood (well, my childhood; I may be dating myself here).
Gail Cooke
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

You're not going to believe this alphabet book - it's bold, bright and beautiful! Brilliant colors fill each polka-dot bordered page as the alphabet begins its adventurous journey to the top of a coconut tree. The rhymes are irresistible and fun to read again and again.

CHICKA CHICKA BOOM BOOM 2010 is the first oversized board book edition, and in this case bigger is definitely better – more eye-popping than ever. Originally published in 1989 this alphabet book has appealed to generations of you
Ghoover
This was such a fun little book to read this week. I absolutely adore this story and the illustrations that go along with it. My mom used to read this book to me as a little girl and we even had "Hoover family dance moves" that correlated with the "chicka chicka" portions. Overall this story is an exciting and fun free read for children. Definitely geared towards a younger audience, but I think it should be read by or too children as they grow up.
Nancy Kotkin
Very entertaining alphabet book with lots of word play. Effective use of text refrains and the whole alphabet is repeated for reinforcement. Bold, blocky illustrations use lots of vibrant swaths of tropical color.
Mallory Dreiling
Feb 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book as a kid. It teachings basic counting principles and now has a song to go with it. A good way to teach kids basic counting skills.
Alex
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one's great!
Jasminem
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The book CHIKA CHIKA BOOM BOOM by Bill Martin Jr. is a story about the little letters of the alpabet who want to beat eachother to the top of the coconut tree. Will anyone win or will they get hurt trying to get to the top? If you read the book you will know. I liked the colors in this book and it was funny. Whoever likes silly storys should read this book.
Lia Snegireff
One of my favorite books when I was younger :D
Miika Rashford
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is an incredibly deep commentary on human instincts, written superbly by the great Bill Martin Jr. At the beginning of the story, we meet our protagonist, "A", who's goal is to beat all the other letters to the top of the coconut tree. What I enjoy the most about Bill Martin Jr's novel is how it doesn't waste any time. As soon as A is introduced, we're immediately shown his motivations and his end goal, without any dillydallying. He is a simple character with a simple mis ...more
olivia
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
i accidentally stole this from my kindergarten library when i was little and not worth it. i could only "chicka chicka boom boom" so many times before it got old. would not steal again.
Lstirl
Oct 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
A fun alphabet rhyme when one get's tired of the classic ABC song.

The colors and the artwork are superb in this fun alphabet book. They are simple, bright and a pleasure to look at, which is a must in a picture book. The rhyme is fun and catchy and sure to engage small children. There is even a dramatic, if simple story, as the letters climb and then fall from the tree. The sound effects are fun and really add to the enjoyment.

My only real complaint is the messed up letters. Some of the letters
Matthew
Amazon rated this book as one of the top 100 influential books for Children and after checking it out from the library I have to agree that this book should be read to children of all ages. You get to learn about the alphabet and at the same time find an enchanting story to entertain kids and yourself.

The story is about how the alphabets in alphabetical order start to climb this coconut tree and everything seems perfect at first but then later on the tree cannot handle all those letters and
Krista
This was the first book I heard my children "read" to themselves. The easy rhythm of the words following through the alphabet are very memorable and just plain fun to say. This story lends to dancing and singing and is wonderful for beginning K or preschool. It is a fun way to learn the alphabet as well. It is an alphabet book, very easy to read, with colorful pictures, so I would classify it as a picture book.

The story of this book is the letters of the alphabet meeting at the top of the coconu
Marlene
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
All six of my kids either really love or have loved this book. Our kindergarten and preschool always include it in their curriculum. I like it because the lowercase letters are the focal point of the story, and yet the capital letters are all included as well. I wouldn't use it as an introduction to the alphabet. I'd always recommend a book focusing on the capital letters for that. But once a child knows at least most of the capital letters, this book is a great way to introduce the lowercase on ...more
Geneva Roberts
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: numbers
This book was colorful which alone was appealing for me but also the "chicka, chicka , boom boom!" rhyme was very catchy and my five year old and two year old sons were having fun repeating it hours after I had read it to them. The book delivers a fun story and lesson on the letters of the alphabet and recognition. This book would be a must have for any classroom for early childhood educators.

extension- have some magnetic letters and either draw a coconut tree or have one put up with magnets an
Margaret Chind
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margaret by: Confessions of a Homeschooler
Cute!

Online storytime: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=...

Definitely ruined in the storybook treastury form The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury, but worth it completely on it's on.

Reprinted and/or excerpt included in The 20th-Century Children's Book Treasury: Picture Books and Stories to Read Aloud.
Kiera
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is an amazing children's book. This is a rhyming, mystery, alphabet recognizing, and a sing along all in one. When I read this book to my niece's and nephew's they loved it they would chant Chicka Chicka Boom Boom will there be enough room as they anticipated on seeing what was going to happen next. This is a wonderful book to read to children for amusement as well as learning alphabet recognition and to introduce rhyming.
LaDonna
4 STARS...

A cute and refreshing read. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is reminiscent of the early books of Dr. Seuss. The rhymes are fun and easy, but then you throw in the tongue twisters. By the time you get to the end, your tongue is tied but a young reader has been captured and tries to give you a run for your money.
Catherine
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a fun to read alphabet book that was one of Matt's favorites when he was tiny.
Evanhan
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
BEST BOOK EVER! It is about the alphabet's adventures!
Dawn Michelle
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Another real favorite amongst the many littles. This helped a lot of them learn to read or how to sound out letters as well [along with Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?].
Kelly Ramsey
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rhyming, colors
I remember reading this book in Ms. Murphy class. This was a very fun book about the alphabet rhyme. It had a very repetitive chorus for the children to enjoy saying aloud as you read to them. This book repeats the whole alphabet twice and it makes it really fun with the children when you say the sounds of each alphabet.
This book could be used in the following categorizes counting, rhyming, and learning the alphabet.

LEARNING EXPERIENCE:
When reading this book, explain to you children that when yo
The Eco-Friendly ...: To Kill the World, but not the Planet 2 7 Jan 01, 2017 07:52PM

• The Rainbow Fish
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (If You Give...)
  • Goodnight Moon
  • Corduroy
  • Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham: For Soprano, Boy Soprano, and Orchestra
  • Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • Are You My Mother?
  • A Bad Case of Stripes
  • No, David!
  • Love You Forever
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog
  • Harold and the Purple Crayon (Harold, #1)
  • The Kissing Hand
  • The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar
  • If You Give a Pig a Pancake
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early ...more

Chicka Chicka (3 books)