Start by marking “Daughters of Darkness” as Want to Read:
Daughters of Darkness

Daughters of Darkness

(Night World #2)

The second book in L.J. Smith's beloved Night World series is now available as a special collector's edition!

There's something strange about the new girls in town. Briar Creek, Oregon, has never seen anything like the supernatural grace of Rowan, Kestrel, and Jade, three sisters who move into the dilapidated old house next to Mark and Mary-Lynnette Carter.

Mark is obsessed
Published December 6th 2016 by Simon Pulse (first published 1996)

Lucy
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Twilight
Recommended to Lucy by: Shani Kaish
I just reread this book, and I remember now why I liked these so much in high school. These books have everything right about them that is wrong with Twilight. For one, it's over three quarters shorter. But that's just for starters.

Briar Creek is just about the quietest town imagineable, so when Mrs. Burdock's nieces, Rowan, Kestrel and Jade Redfern, move in next door, Mary-Lynnette and her brother Mark are obviously intrigued. They have good reason to be. The Redfern sisters aren't just beautif
Evelina
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jade said ungratefully, squirming. "I may have to fight." She wriggled out of his arms and faced the bushes again. "Stay behind me."
Okay, so she is crazy. I don't care. I think I love her.

Astoria
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I like about this book, is the fact that Mary-Lynnette, actually has a choice, she could've made everything perfect and easy for Ash and stay with him, next to him, for eternity, but she decides she can not do with that kind of live.

Ash was such a jerk on "Secret Vampire", and I honestly hated him then, but He was just so different and he is the guy that will make sure he is worthy of the girl - because of himself, and who he was before. I honestly loved him here. Mary is strong, and not s
Kushnuma
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ash totally reminds me of Damon from The Vampire Diaries and every time I read this book, I fall in love with Ash even more.
Kimberley doruyter
a 180 turn around of a character not as intresting as you would think.
Natalia
Feb 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Navah I agreed with you WHOLEHEARTEDLY about this book!!
Twilight is a good book I think, and I DID enjoyo that saga...but Ash Redfern and Mary-Lynnette Carter are the ULTIMATE couple, like Romeo and Juliet and Angel and Buffy.
5 Stars.
Because...
This happens to be the ULTIMATE book ever!!
Best book in the whole world.
;)
Natalia
x
Honistie
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As an adult reader I gave this a 2 star because some things were not very logical. The story was well written and as a teen I think I would have given it a 4 maybe even a 5. I would not mind letting my children read this book as the love relationships are based on emotions rather than physical appearance. The relationship between the characters are healthy, for example they do not have the male stalking the female or the female saying she is going to die without the male. Yes that is a compariso ...more
Sakura Koneko
Aug 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes vampires/werewolves
Shelves: favorites
After reading the first book in the Night World series I didn't really know what to expect from the second one, but I was happy when it turned out to be about vampires as well.

Reading this book, I was surprised to see a character from the first book in it now acting as a main character. This is something that I find to be very creative of the author. Especially taking into consideration what an impact the events in this book have on that character's attitude and life. A character who is troubles
Heather
This was probably my favorite of the Night World series. I just really liked that Ash HATED humans, but then much to his horror, he found his soul mate in... A HUMAN, and I just loved how he couldn't fight that no matter how much he may have wanted to. And for a refreshing change, I liked that they didn't just "walk away into the sunset" at the end. These aren't the most spectacular, "blow you away" stories, and it's been a few years since I've read this one. I just know the way it made me feel ...more
Bookevin
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it

Pretty fun read, I can definitely see myself continuing with the entire series.
 Lissa Smith Reads'~Bookaholics Bookshelf Reviews
4 Stars:
The mystery element of the book is pretty interesting. The three sisters are intriguing, and Ash, who was introduced in the first book, does a turnabout and becomes a guy any girl would want to marry.

Among some of my favorites. Outstanding literary work. The characters are well developed, interesting. The liked characters are likable and the hated are unlikable. The writing is captivating enough to keep you interested until the end and leave you wanting more. It has a fairly original or
Connie
Source: I own a bind up of books 1, 2 and 3 in this series.
Cost: Free gift

Title: Daughters of Darkness
Series: Night World #2
Author: LJ Smith
Overall Rating: 4 stars

This one is my favourite for sure, I loved the family element of it. I really love how the sisters stuck together throughout this one, and I want to know more about Ash! I really did like how this was an almost separate story from the previous one but set within the same world.
Sierra Lynn
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
3.5 Stars
Amanda
I think had I read this book in my teens I would have really liked it but I felt it was a little too YA for me.
Amy
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amanda
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay, I'm definitely getting into this series. This book was much better than the first. Not that the first one wasn't fun but this story was more developed, and the characters had a lot more depth.

I still think the story moves super fast, which makes some of what happens not make too much sense. However, I believe that is partly due to the nature of the genre, and the expectations of an author writing in said genre to get to the juicy bits quickly.

All that said, this was a fast read, and very
Tanaz Masaba
Alaina
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this a little more than Secret Vampire because there was better character development plus a little mystery plot line. Mary-Lynnette and Ash are going to be my favorite couple out of this series I think because their relationship is slightly more realistic than others portrayed by L.J Smith's earlier books.
Hope
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!
I loved this book!
So much intrigue! So many twists and turns! This book is the ultimate plot twist! LOL! I never knew what was coming next and so many times I thought we were on one path and suddenly things turned! It was great! It kept me guessing! :-D
Annelise Lestrange
Review originally posted on The Book Adventures of Annelise Lestrange :)

The Story

Rowan, Kestrel, and Jade know that they are taking a path of no return when they flee their home. The three sisters are well aware of all the risks and sacrifices involved, but anything in the human world is better than to live in an eternal bubble without any real living.

What they didn’t expect was to have a nosy neighbor.

Mary-Lynnette is a loner, a creature of the night. The stars are her best friends, along with
Hannah
MORE? MORE! @ P.S. I love that book!

EXPECTATIONS: First of all these covers are so terrible, just look at it. If I saw this in the shop there is no way I would buy it. Fortunately I have three bind ups of this series and each contains three books so I don't have to suffer looking at original covers, the bind ups are black and kinda decent looking.

THE WORLD: Alright so as the series title indicates it is all about the Night World. Which really is just a world of paranormal existing next to our
Nikki May
After reading the secret vampire I went straight into this because I really enjoyed smiths writing.

The plot for this thankfully was a little different to the normal paranormal it was much more mysterious and I loved it. Three supernaturals come to a deadbeat town in the country and well bring a whole load of drama to it to.

Jade seemed very innocent, bubbly and naive but I think that was very much part of her charm, especially for Mark.

Kestrel seemed wild and fiery so like an animal it was hard
VampireNovelFan
Book 2 of the Night World series, Daughters of Darkness, shifts focus to a new set of characters of the secret society. Relatives of James from the first book, we meet Rowan, Kestrel, and Jade. They are three vampire sisters who snuck away from home. Tired of the secret society, they want to try to live as humans out in Oregon. They move into a dilapidated old home, next to Mark and Mary-Lynette Carter. As Jade and Mark get closer, their brother Ash comes to town to bring his sisters back. Of co ...more
Holly Letson
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine living in a small town where nothing happens, and then suddenly becoming involved in something beyond your wildest dreams. Welcome to Mary-Lynnette's life in *Daughters of Darkness*.

In this book, she sees the nieces of her neighbor burying what appears to be a bagged body, and she decides to investigate. But, she gets caught. In true L.J. Smith fashion, this leads to the sisters--who are vampire-witch girls--agreeing to form blood ties with ML and her brother, Mark.

It gets even more comp
Fantasy Literature
First published between 1996-1998, Lisa Jane Smith's NIGHT WORLD series was released as a ten-book series...only the final book never arrived. Smith took a ten-year hiatus from writing, leaving the final book unwritten and the steadily-building story incomplete. But now, finally, the end is in sight. Simon and Schuster are republishing the series in three-book omnibuses in anticipation for Strange Fate the last in the series that has left us hanging for over ten years.

Like so many, I was a teena
Debra
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: projecttbr-2015
For a more detailed review, please check out my review below:

Debra's Book Cafe

Debs :-)
Kushnuma
21 May 2019

Daughters of Darkness is book 2 in the Night World series.

I like how Mary-Lynette and Ash start off almost using each other, but then they can't help feeling for each other.

One of my most favourites, love Ash and his jokes...
Lori
Oh, Ash...
Daphne
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Since each book in the Night World series is about a different set of characters, I thought it wouldn't matter that I haven't read any of the other books (aka book 1) before reading this one. Although reading book 1 first might've given more details into what the Night World is exactly (I'm thinking?), I didn't have any problems understanding everything just fine. There is a mention of the character James from book 1 briefly in this book, but that was like only 1 sentence. I haven't read any of ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Seducing the Dragon: Part 2 (Stonefire Dragons, #2 part 2 of 4)
  • Red Dice (The Last Vampire, #3)
  • Shadow Kissed: Dimitri's POV (Vampire Academy, #3.1)
  • Werewolf Rage (Taming the Wolf, #2)
  • The Ornament: Adrian and Sheri (Ornament, #3)
  • Coercion: Part 3
  • Temptation (Journal of the Wolves of Spruce Hollow, #1)
  • Loved by the Alpha (The Shadow Pack Rules, #5)
  • Bride to the Alpha (The Wolf's Pet, #2)
  • Resisting The Alpha (The Crane Curse, #2)
  • Honey, I Shrunk the Werewolf
  • Blood of the Wolf (Wolves of Black River, #2)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th

Night World (10 books)
  • Secret Vampire (Night World, #1)
  • Spellbinder (Night World, #3)
  • Dark Angel (Night World, #4)
  • The Chosen (Night World, #5)
  • Soulmate (Night World, #6)
  • Huntress (Night World, #7)
  • Black Dawn (Night World, #8)
  • Witchlight (Night World, #9)
  • Strange Fate (Night World, #10)
“Even when we're apart, we'll be looking at the same sky!” 911 likes