Start by marking “Chase the Lion: If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It's Too Small” as Want to Read:
Chase the Lion: If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It's Too Small

Chase the Lion: If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It's Too Small

Quit playing it safe and start running toward the roar!
When the image of a man-eating beast travels through the optic nerve and into the visual cortex, the brain sends the body a simple but urgent message: run away! That's what normal people do, but not lion chasers. Rather than seeing a five-hundred-pound problem, they see an opportunity for God to show up and show His
Published September 6th 2016 by Multnomah (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Chase the Lion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chase the Lion

Start your review of Chase the Lion: If Your Dream Doesn't Scare You, It's Too Small
Collin Huber
Sep 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
In a nutshell, this book is about how to embrace the “dream” or “destiny” God has placed in your heart and step into your full potential as a Christ-follower. According to Batterson, the way to do that is by facing, chasing, and killing your “lions”—those things you fear most in life. He says that fear causes us to either forfeit our dreams or dream in too small of terms, which does not bring God glory.

That said, I really disliked this book.

Batterson says all of the right things, mentioning topi
David Huff
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the better motivational books I’ve read, “Chase the Lion” gets especially high marks for readability, and for numerous, on-point illustrations and examples from the lives and experiences of people in all walks of life. Author Mark Batterson also includes many of his own stories and adventures (both victories and lessons learned) from his years as a Pastor and church leader.

Plus, this is a book that’s just chock full of quotable nuggets:

“Games aren’t won on game day. Games are won in the
Kelly
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good book! I actually bought it a couple of years ago and never got into it. Started reading it as part of a New Years resolution to read more non-fiction and finished it in 3 days. Solid, practical ways to start making and chasing big dreams. I guess I have more New Years resolutions now.
Malaysia
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, self-help
Basically this book is about "dreams" and "aspirations". In addition this book will guide you to awaken the sleeping dreams ( The Lion ) within you. Which will give you the faith to chase those dreams, and help you develop new dreams.
Paula K Parker
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A wonderful book for pursuing God-given dreams and goals.
Leslie Wiewel
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-audio-books
For me, it started slow and he used a lot of cliche, one-liners. But ultimately it was very encouraging and inspirational.
Jacqi Babinski-Wright
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i am only about half way through this book.. and i cannot say enough about it!! it will inspire you to dream big, it will encourage you to fight the good fight and not let go until you get the breakthrough! This book will make you mountains look like molehills and Lions look like kitty cats! It will help put the giants in your life back into perspective to where you will not fear of the battle and KNOW that you are assured the victory in Christ! You will find the dreams you thought were impossib ...more
Daniel Scottow
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not many people would chase a lion into a pit on a snowy day, much less would actually kill the beast. This book of encouragement and spurring on revolves around the Mighty Men that supported King David during a tumultuous time in Israel’s political history.

In short this book challenges the reader to dream dreams that only could be achieved with God’s powerful intervention.

Chapters are filled with stories of church planting, historical leaders, missionary tales, and Scripture references that s
Jeff
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Another great book from Mark. I recommend reading in preparation for a new year, or new season.

"Sometimes the greatest opposition to what God wants to do next comes from those who were on the cutting edge of what God did last."

Pray, "God help us help them."

"What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open." Revelation 3:7.

Perfect love casts out fear. The opposite of love isn't hate. The opposite of love is fear.

When you know God loves you no matter what, you're not afraid to f
Christina
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mind Blowing

This book has really made me think about what I'm doing spiritually & personally. I'm motivated. I like the personal stories, the historical stories & the real people stories. The imagery will stay long after the book is put away.
Sage
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is a strong 3.5 it's just that while some chapters I loved others were a bit ho hum. I thought the biblical aspects were a bit light and fluffy. More of a feel good kind of vibe than anything deep and meaty. It's a good motivational book and I got a bit out if it. I love the idea of how our dreams are interlinked and it's about leaving a legacy for future generations.
Colin J Cameron
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the encouragement to plan your impact several generations into the future. Think beyond the immediate impact your mission will have and plan for the impact of the impact! God has no limitations so rely on Him and align you plans with His for all eternity.
Mike McAuliff
While I am fan of Circle Maker, the same can’t be said for Chasing the Lion. The premise is solid, and I agree with Batterson that our tendency as Christian’s is to live a safe life, where we can manage without much intervention from God but this book quickly turned into something else. There were moments where his thoughts edged dangerously close to promoting a prosperity gospel (example, the 5k he donated to foreign missions was directly correlated to him getting his book deal) and then there ...more
Lisa Perez
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is phenomenal. Helped me realize the 500 lb lion I need to be chasing and that it's in my destiny to be a part of other dreamers dreams if I haven't realized my full destiny yet.
Bryanna
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read! Very challenging and inspiring! Definitely a book I will read again and again!
Matt Christopher
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-target-list
An inspirational call to action
Aaron Cash
Fantastic book on pursuing your dreams
Jay
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To date, best book I've read on going after your dreams and practical ideas of how to.
Justin Raabe
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Didn't like it but didn't hate it. Mostly it just repeated itself over and over, and the thing the previous reviewer said about it being just a long plug for his other books is completely correct. He also brags every couple of pages about how big his own dream is and now does millions of dollars worth of work etc.

a good message about finding and chasing your God-given dream though

Just kind of makes you feel bad if your dream is something more mundane, like getting out of debt or being a good da
Juanita
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very motivating book. If you are feeling a bit ho hum about where you’re at, this will give you a big boost. In saying that I didn’t agree with all his thoughts. Definitely worth reading.
Joleen
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'll tell you what; Multnomah/Waterbrook has put out some stellar books this September! I am amazed by all of them that I've read so far.

This one, Chase The Lion, is a Dream-Pursuer's fuel. It's thought provoking stories within the story stir up hope and inspire you to dream and keep dreaming. This book belongs on your bookshelf because it's one that you'll go back to time and time again. It wont go out of date. It's content is biblical, it's real-life, it's genuine. Mark Batterson's writing st
Debbie
Oct 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
While I gave the first book four stars, it was not because it was a stellar book, but the lessons were really good. I could not finish this book, because I just couldn't read another sentence about a pit, a lion, and a snowy day.
August Maclauchlan
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. I want to buy it for everyone has dreams and fears.
Matthew
Sep 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Worse than many a decent self-help book, this book uses one verse about a lion slaying warrior to pitch a thinly Christianised business approach. It shines the spotlight on human effort and acumen rather than Christ. Avoid it and read ‘Don’t Waste Your Life’ by John Piper, it will be an incomparably better use of your time.
Harley
Mar 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
A typical "chase your dreams" type book. Nothing groundbreaking. Lots of unnecessary fluff. Lots of psychologizing the Old Testament. The book is based on 2 Samuel 23:20 in which a man named Benaiah kills a lion. The NLT version (the version the author uses) says he chased a lion into a pit, but the Hebrew version says he went down into the pit (meaning the lion was already down there) and killed it. That sounds like semantical nit-picking, but if your book is about chasing lions based on a vers ...more
Kimberly Hailey
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I really liked the premise and first few chapters of the book, and I walked away with some great one-liners and inspiring stories. But, I think this book could have definitely been cut in half. It was tough getting through the second half of the book because I did not take away any new information.
Alex Schmidt
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Even though I put this book down for awhile when I first started it, it ended up being really great! Got some great nuggets out of it. Even though there’s lots of biblical stories, everything tied back to the overall theme. I would recommend this to any leader.
Enid
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book have been a life changing experience for me. It came to my hands at the right moment, just when I was been tempted on giving up on some dreams and life goals. Pastor Mark Batterson, once again, but this time with this best hit "Chase the Lion". If you need encouragement on continue to dream big, this is your book. This book would make you analyze your current status and will encourage you to keep on going. It is a reminder of "With God's help everything is possible" If God has placed a ...more
Cindy Navarro
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chase the Lion by Mark Batterson is based on the Old Testament story in 2 Samuel 23 about a warrior in the army of King David named Benaiah. Those who read Batterson's 2006 best seller are familiar with Benaiah---who chased a lion into a pit on a snowy day—and then killed it.

But there is more that is known of Benaiah, and a bigger lesson to be learned from his action with the lion. Most people would run from a lion, but Benaiah chased it. He overcame his fear and went after the personification
Dean
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Chase the Lion really encourages the reader to embrace a dream that is impossible, and the recognition that that dream is impossible will lead to your reliance God to step in and help see that dream to fruition. I understand the fear that comes from setting your dream too high, and so this book really did challenge me to try to think bigger for myself, and to lean more heavily into God working in my life as well.
My complaint with this book (and many books written by church leaders of very large
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Greater: Dream Bigger. Start Smaller. Ignite God's Vision for Your Life.
  • There Is More: When the World Says You Can't, God Says You Can
  • The Way of the Warrior: An Ancient Path to Inner Peace
  • Divine Direction: 7 Decisions That Will Change Your Life
  • Shaken: Discovering Your True Identity in the Midst of Life's Storms
  • AHA: The God Moment That Changes Everything
  • God is Good: He's Better Than You Think
  • The Battle Plan for Prayer: Attacking Life's Struggles Through Prayer
  • Grace Is Greater: God's Plan to Overcome Your Past, Redeem Your Pain, and Rewrite Your Story
  • The Last Arrow: Save Nothing for the Next Life
  • Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else
  • Dangerous Prayers: Because Following Jesus Was Never Meant to Be Safe
  • I Declare War: Four Keys to Winning the Battle with Yourself
  • Everybody, Always: Becoming Love in a World Full of Setbacks and Difficult People
  • The Calvary Road
  • In the Grip of Grace: You Can't Fall Beyond His Love
  • Erasing Hell: What God Said about Eternity, and the Things We've Made Up
Mark Batterson is the lead pastor of National Community Church in Washington, DC. One church in seven locations, NCC owns and operates Ebenezers Coffeehouse, The Miracle Theatre, and the DC Dream Center. NCC is currently developing a city block into The Capital Turnaround. This 100,000-square-foot space will include an event venue, child development center, mixed-use marketplace, and co-working sp ...more

News & Interviews

“In every dream journey there comes a moment when you have to quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death. You have to go after a dream that is destined to fail without divine intervention.” 3 likes
“We start dying the day we stop dreaming. And ironically, we start living the day we discover a dream worth dying for.” 3 likes