Start by marking “Home on the Range (Double S Ranch #2)” as Want to Read:
Home on the Range (Double S Ranch #2)

Home on the Range

(Double S Ranch #2)

A cowboy romance with a heart of gold, in Home on the Range author Ruth Logan Herne returns readers to the Double S Ranch where God and family are first, but love is certain to follow the Stafford menfolk. Nick made all the wrong choices for all the wrong reasons. His father had failed at marriage and fatherhood. Nick was determined to show him up. He'd be a better husband ...more
Published October 18th 2016 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about Home on the Range, please sign up.
Ruth Herne Ashli, I just saw this! And yes, if you still have "Home on the Range", you can absolutely read it as a stand alone story. And then if you love it,…moreAshli, I just saw this! And yes, if you still have "Home on the Range", you can absolutely read it as a stand alone story. And then if you love it, grab "Back in the Saddle" for another read!

I try to make sure each book is a stand alone because I love series! But no one likes to get caught in the middle wondering what's happening... so yes, feel free to charge in and see what you think!(less)

Hannah
After about halfway, reading this became an effort for me. I couldn't put a finger on why I stopped burning through the pages; it's a good book and written well, so it might just be mood.

I liked all the descriptions of ranch life and loved the characters—Nick, Elsa, Cheyenne, Dakota, along with recurring Angelina and Colt from book one—but really disliked all the scenes with Whitney.

Content: drunkenness (not condoned), kissing.
Dawn
I enjoyed the first book in this series. This one I struggled with. I struggled to connect to the characters. I struggled to stay interested in the plot. Honestly, I didn't care one way or the other about whether or not I finished the book. But this is a review title. So I struggled my way through it.

I liked being able to catch up on the characters from the first book. I liked seeing Nick start to change. But I really felt blah about most of the book.

Other readers are really enjoying this book
Staci
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
In this second book of the Double S Ranch Series, we get Nick's story. Nick is a single dad with two elementary school aged girls. Nick's wife left him and didn't stay in touch with the girls.

What I enjoyed about this novel was the way that Nick realized the motivations behind his marriage and how that impacted the outcome. Nick saw himself as the perfect son. He was the one who stayed to help at the ranch and "deserved" happiness.

I look forward to Trey's story in book three.
Katiria
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-books

Review of Home on the Range (Double S Ranch #2) on Kati's Bookaholic Rambling Reviews

Ahh I love it sometimes when I change reading different genres and I really missed reading Christian Romance so much, that I am glad and happy I gave this beautiful book a chance. I also love reading clean romance books from time to time. But I was feeling the love on Valentine Day so I decided to read Home On The Rage on Valentine Day, and it was really a perfect read for
Brittany
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Home on the Range is a great addition to the Double S Ranch series, yet can be read as a stand alone, too. Since the characters are family members who appear in each book, I would personally recommend reading these novels in order, to enhance the reading experience.

This story was packed with emotion. I had to set this book down so many times because of the issues that were being dealt with. There was Elsa and the past trauma she experienced and Nick with the feelings of abandonment and failure t
Andrea Cox
by Andrea Renee Cox

Cowboys, western wear, and puppies... What's not to like?

Home on the Range was an enjoyable story about family, faith, and second chances. I especially liked how the author so expertly used the therapy angle. I've seen it used before in books, but it usually makes me feel like I've gone through a crash course in psychology 101. This book, though... the therapy was a beautiful part of the story, enhancing and drawing out the best parts of the themes.

There were a couple of notic
Amy
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The second in Ruth Logan Herne's 'Double S Ranch' Series, Home on the Range, takes on second son Nick Stafford's story. In the first book - Back in the Saddle, we actually get a good insight into Nick's life and his challenges raising his 2 daughters alone, abandoned by his wife years earlier. I felt a connection to him while reading that book, and so was really hoping this series would continue and that Nick would be next. Its always interesting to see what route an author will take with a char ...more
Cindy
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I pick up a novel to read, it is with the hope that I will be swept away by the characters and can become one with their world. It is rare to find an author who can do that, let alone, do it consistently. Ruth Logan Herne is one of those authors that can consistently create a world of characters that pull you in and let you become one with the story. Her newest book, Home on the Range is the second book in her "Double S Ranch" series and it pulled me in from the very first page. The first b ...more
Kav
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First off -- let's take a moment to savor that cover. Doesn't it make your heart all melty and turn your knees so wobbly it feels like your bones have been replaced by cooked spaghetti? Insert blissful sigh here. And the book delivers exactly what that beguiling cover promises.

Second -- I want to live in a hobbit house in the woods. Yes, that's my takeaway from reading this book. Not the only one...but important nonetheless.

Herne excels at reminding us of what matters most. Life is messy but
Susan Snodgrass
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love to read. It is, quite simply, my most favorite thing in all the world to do. There are those times when you open a book to begin reading and you are drawn so far into the story, (from the first paragraph!) that you just don't want to leave it for long. This was such a book. This is Ruth Logan Herne's second book in her Double S Ranch series and just her best ever, in my opinion. I loved everything about it.

Herne has that unique ability to make her readers *feel* everything that is happen
Lindsay
Home on the Range was a nice change for me to read. It had little romance. It did it through family then set it all on romance like normal romance books. Ruth Logan Herne doe a wonderfully good job with her book.

This book is based on a single father raising his two daughters. Will he better than his father Sam Stafford. Nick wants to outdo his father and learn it hard to do. Being there for his girls is more important than it is being a ranch hand or owner.

Nick got to deal with this oldest daugh
Karen
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know it's a good book when it leaves tears in your eyes. I believe I said that about the first book in this series, but the same is true for this one. A beautiful story of hurt and healing, letting go and forgiveness. And ranch style cowboys don't hurt either. *I received a copy of this book*
Rachel
Review to follow.

*Thanks to NetGalley for a complimentary copy of this book. I was not paid or required to write a positive review and all opinions stated are my own.*
Jessica Figueroa
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, arc, adult
Nick is a single father of two and works on a ranch causing her life to be quite busy. In the hopes that things will just work itself out he's be stalling taking his troubled daughter to a counselor. Now hes faced with the option of his troubled daughter facing a respect of a grade or summer school. Things are looking thought and now he's grudgingly getting the help his daughter needs. Dr. Elsa is the one to help out with counseling his daughter and tutoring the troubled child. But she isn't exa ...more
Amy
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Home On the Range is the second book from Ruth Logan Herne's series, Double S Ranch. This installment involves Colt Stafford's brother, Nick. He is still dealing with his ex-wife, Whitney, leaving their family three years earlier. Struggling being a single dad to his two little girls, he gets the help he needs from psychologist Dr. Elsa Andreas. Elsa, too, had her own struggles in the past and has to learn to trust herself and live again. Just when things were coming together, Whitney shows up, ...more
Trixi
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Take a hard-working cowboy who’s doing the best he can to raise his two precarious daughters after his wife left him years ago, throw in a successful cattle ranch, his rugged elderly father trying to change his ways after several decades, an older brother who returned not long ago and soon-to-be married to the best house manager around & a washed up children’s therapist and you got yourself the makings of a whooper of a story!

I thoroughly enjoyed returning to the Double S ranch to learn of
Lisa Johnson
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Title: Home on the Range
Author: Ruth Logan Herne
Pages: 320
Year: 2016
Publisher: Multnomah
My rating is 5 stars.
Home on the Range is the second book in the Double S series. The first book is titled, Back in the Saddle. In the first novel, we are introduced to the Stafford family who own a ranch. The elder Stafford is in ill health when we meet him and greatly aided by his housekeeper who has something in her past only she and Mr. Stafford know. In the first novel, the story focuses on Colt who was
Rebecca
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
"God wants his children joyful . . . . . throw off the mantle of sadness and wear joy."

Family life is messy, it's never easy, it's comprised of imperfect people who love fiercely, anger easily and grieve deeply. Nick Stafford knows how messy family life can be from the inside out, as he struggles to be a single parent while still reeling from the abandonment of his own mother years ago. His older daughter, in particular, needs professional guidance, so when Nick acquiesces to her principal's sug
Tima
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nick stayed on the ranch when his brothers left for greener pastures. He dealt with his strong-willed father and raised his daughters alone when his wife abandoned them. But now the effects of that abandonment are starting to show themselves in his daughters. Nick will do anything for them, but isn't thrilled with the idea of a therapist. Especially one who lives in a hobbit home in the middle of nowhere. But Elsa seems to be reaching Cheyenne, his eldest, in a way he never could. Maybe things ...more
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nick has done everything right in his life, or at least has tried. He's at a point in his life now that he needs to do whats right for his girls, even with the world around him seems to be falling apart. When his family pushes him to take his girls to a therapist he is non to happy but he knows he needs to do right by them. Will he be able to convince Elsa this is whats best for his family and get her to help?
Elsa is facing some demons from the past and she is not happy that her sister keeps pus
Suzie Waltner
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Here’s a fun fact. I got to meet Ruth Logan Herne (and a bunch of other Christian fiction authors) at the Christian Fiction Readers’ Retreat this summer. It was a blessing to get to learn more about several of my favorite authors—and there was lots of laughter throughout the day.

But let’s get back to why you’re here. Readers met Nick Stafford and his daughters in Back in the Saddle but we get to know this little family more in Home on the Range. As Nick’s oldest daughter Cheyenne struggles with
Rachael
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
The author can certainly write children! Especially sisters (boy, did Cheyenne and Dakota remind me of my cousins at that age). These are no two precocious little angels--they are the usual sort of children who whine, cry, sulk, and fight. They know exactly which buttons to push to get a bigger rise out of the other. And just when you're ready to break down and give up, they hit you right in the heart with how sweet they can be.

I liked Elsa a lot--she's not at all the stereotype of a child psych
Barb
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Home on the Range is the second book in the Double S Ranch series and I haven't read the first book, but it was not a problem at all. Actually I didn't even realize it was a sequel until I finished the book. I was able to follow the characters and the plot line just fine.

I would not normally choose a book about cowboys or a ranch, but I did enjoy this one. Really in the end it is a love story more than a cowboy story. Rancher, Nick Stafford, has two daughters who need counseling after their moth
Just Commonly
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Home on the Range is about family, love, trust and forgiveness. It's about being broken and about loss and togetherness. It's about learning to lean on our Heavenly Father for strength, guidance and comfort. Filled with drama, as well as light moments, my heart broke with the characters, my smile mirrored theirs, and my tears shed as the story takes us there. I've lived with these characters, and love is not a strong enough word to tell you how highly I think of Home on the Range. I can't wait f ...more
Beth Erin
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Full review on Faithfully Bookish http://wp.me/p7ngfE-pH

The Stafford family took up residence in my reader heart during Back in the Saddle yet Ruth Logan Herne managed to make me love them even more here in Home on the Range! I felt a strong kinship to both main characters in this story and saw many of my own strengths and weaknesses come to life on the pages.

Ruth Logan Herne is a master at creating authentic child characters and Cheyenne and Dakota are my favorite yet! These little girls are pe
Sarah Ruut
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
No family is perfect, and the Staffords are no exception. Broken families need a little tender loving care. Some need a lot!

I loved the characters of Back in the Saddle (Double S Ranch, book 1). Home on the Range picks up right where we left off, like getting together again with good friends. Nick's two girls, while opposites, tug equally on your heart. My psychology-loving self also adored Elsa and her compassion for the family.

The events in the story may not have been surprising, but the chara
Michelle
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in a series and so far my favorite! We are back to Double S Ranch and Nick is raising his two girls by himself. I found the characters to be very realistic. The setting is wonderful and I loved to read all the struggles of each person. It makes it more realistic and easier to read and believe. Elsa is a wonderful character as her and Nick are rather forced in meeting. I love that her past is a secret until the end of the book, very well written. There was a lot of heart p ...more
Mary Beth
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No tears, but close.

Nick Stafford is looking to help his oldest daughter, Cheyenne, adjust her attitude. Cheyenne doesn't care about school and does whatever she wants, despite being told not to. After her action land her in an accident, Nick realizes he needs help.

Elsa, a former psychologist, finally agrees to help the handsome cowboy and his daughter, although she first slams her door in his face.

As time progresses, Elsa realizes Cheyenne is responding to being abandoned by her mother, just li
April
Home on the Range is a wonderful addition to the Double S Ranch Series. Herne does a marvelous job of crafting believable characters and drawing you into their story. I couldn't wait to dive into this one and had no trouble making my way through it yesterday.

These little girls and their Dad will capture your heart and Elsa is a delightful addition to the cast. Really looking forward to Book 3, due out May 2017!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Bringing Maggie Home
  • Like Never Before (Walker Family, #2)
  • Gathering the Threads
  • What Hope Remembers (Misty Willow #3)
  • You'll Think of Me (Thunder Creek #1)
  • Kissed by a Cowboy (Four of Hearts Ranch, #3)
  • The Bride Wore Blue (The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek, #3)
  • The Trouble with Cowboys (A Big Sky Romance, #3)
  • The Promise of Rayne
  • Crisis Shot (Line of Duty, #1)
  • Step by Step (Crisis Team #2)
  • Pelican Point (Hope Harbor, #4)
  • A Most Noble Heir
  • Someone Like You
  • Too Far Down (The Cimarron Legacy, #3)
  • You're the One that I Want (Christiansen Family, #6)
  • The Return (Amish Beginnings #3)
  • Portrait of Vengeance (Gwen Marcey #4)
Multi-published, award-winning, bestselling author Ruth Logan Herne is living her dream of being a published author and having the time of her life doing it. Born to a poor family in Rochester, NY, Ruthy draws on her early years and her many years of dealing with today's young families and businesses to create beautiful, heartfelt small-town stories of faith, hope and love... while adopting her fa ...more

Double S Ranch (3 books)
  • Back in the Saddle (Double S Ranch, #1)
  • Peace in the Valley (Double S Ranch, #3)
“scents of farm and fruity shampoo. “I’ve been waiting to do that” 0 likes
“But he needed her trust because love without trust was, well, not love.” 0 likes