Start by marking “I Kill in Peace” as Want to Read:
I Kill in Peace

I Kill in Peace

Killing gets easier…with practice.

Peter Blades is, in every sense of the word, an ordinary man. Hard worker, father, husband, a man content with small-town life. Except for one small fact—he’s slowly being turned into a ruthless killer.

Compelled by mysterious texts to murder, he’s provided a fiery red Mustang and an ancient sword to carry out an ever-growing hit list. His
Published April 12th 2016 by Samhain Publishing Horror

To ask other readers questions about I Kill in Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Kill in Peace

Start your review of I Kill in Peace
Char
"AO: Marcellus is going to call u into his office at 5. He's laying u off." So says the instant message that begins this fast paced, messed up, ultra-violent novella. What fun!

This is a hard story to review without spoilers, but I can say that this is just the first of many mysterious messages and texts Peter receives. At first they just serve to warn him, but then the texts turn into something entirely different-directions that he must follow, no matter the cost.

I had a vague clue as to where
Michael Hicks
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, netgalley
Of the handful of titles I’ve read from Hunter Shea, I Kill In Peace easily stands at the top of the stack as my hands-down favorite. It’s bloody, it’s violent, it’s mysterious, and it’s wickedly entertaining from start to finish as Shea hurtles readers from one crazy kill to another.

A few hours before being fired, marketing analyst Peter gets an instant message from the strange AO warning him of his impending termination. In the hours and days that follow, AO continues contacting Peter via elec
Kenneth McKinley
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, own-kindle
Peter gets a strange message at work warning him that he is going to be fired at the end of the day. The message is from someone labeled as AO. He doesn't know anyone by AO and writes it off as a prank and at the end of the day, guess what happens? That's right. His self-righteous prick of a boss calls him into his office and gives him the axe. Who is this AO and how did they know about it? Later on that day, AO sends him another message telling him to get ready to kill his ex-boss and that he'l ...more
Mommacat
Mar 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror, don-t-bother
I hated everything from the title to the ending of this novella. Even though it may have been the best written story that Hunter Shea has produced to date, the content left me wishing I had read something else.

The story is a tease and almost enjoyable at first. I hoped for an answer at the end and yes, it's there. I wasn't happy with the final 2/3 of the book.

I recommend this for the supporters of Trump.
OutlawPoet
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I like Hunter Shea.

I did not really like this book that much. Truth be told, it’s just too heavy on the religious overtones, too heavy on the wholesale slaughter of innocents by our erstwhile hero, and just a little too bizarre. I’m good with splatterpunk and all things graphic, and I love it when bad guys get a little vengeance thrust upon them, but this just left me scratching my head.

I do think this will be fine for fans of more bizarre horror and people who like heavy religion in their horro
Shane Douglas Keene
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When you think of Hunter Shea--if you know Hunter Shea--you think of monsters. It's what you do. Because it's what he does. Hunter writes some of the best damn monster stories you can get your hands on, bar none, and each successive monster, even the ones you think you know, is creepier and more original than the one before it. Sure, he's tackled other subjects to good effect, including ghosts, ghost hunters, apocalypse, etc., and he's done so with the same flare for storytelling that he brings ...more
Zakk Madness
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it

I Kill in Peace is a frenzied little tome of horror, the most recent spectacle from Hunter Shea, an author I missed the boat with early on in his career. I've read all of his output for the last couple of years (thanks Erin) and am now playing catch up. I'd definitely say that he is a must read author as he has never failed to entertain me, which I'm sure is a big deal to him, wink wink.

Not only is he a thrilling writer, he is also a pretty rad, interesting, and easily accessible person to talk
Veronica
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This book was ... odd. Really odd is the only word I can use to describe it. It is an interesting story and I was turning the pages to find out who AO was and what the outcome would be for Peter after committing multiple murders. There were obvious theories in my but what it turned out to be - well I was kind of disappointed.

The story definitely had a creepy vibe and some graphic kill scenes. I'd be interested to see what o
Josef Hernandez
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very good novella

For a full review, please go to http://www.examiner.com/review/i-kill... or http://areviewerdarkly.blogspot.com/ and follow me on Twitter @josenher
Michelle Stockard Miller
This short little novella tells quite a story. What would you do if someone anonymously started texting you to kill people? Yeah, sure...the murders seem justifiable, if that's how you think, but would you do it? Well, in this case, Peter doesn't have much of a choice. At the very first, I thought I knew where this was leading. A bit later, I started realizing where this was going. The sudden widespread epidemics and everything else going on...I thought "Apocalypse."

I read in someone's review on
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
You got me. Hunter Shea, you really got me good. I should have seen it coming, all of the signs were there, I just couldn’t put it all together. What in the devil is wrong with me?!

Hunter Shea has masterfully pieced together an intricately woven story filled with symbolism, heavy subject matter and a killer ending (pun intended). He has done this while putting a smile on my face and giving me a few chuckles along the way.

The story revolves around Peter Blades, and his ever-growing and increasing
Catherine Cavendish
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hunter Shea knows how to grip, fascinate and entertain. With I Kill In Peace, he also managed to utterly confound me! I simply didn't expect the final denouement - not even for a second. Fabulous. It all starts innocently enough with the sort of uncaring selfish boss many of us will identify with having endured at some point in their lives. Peter Blades' boss lays him off. As casually as tossing an old tee shirt into the waste bin. Peter's reaction? He kills him. Slaughters him actually - but it ...more
Cheryl
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting interpretation...

Peter is a normal guy in this hard-hitting short tale by author Hunter Shea.

As the story starts out, he gets an IM telling him he's going to be laid off from his job. And this message comes from someone he's never even heard of before. And it comes true.

IMs and text messages keep coming and the messages get more bizarre, telling him to kill a growing number of people. He's provided a racy red Mustang and a shiny scimitar to accomplish these deeds.

This is a strange s
Jonathan Lees
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
From my review on HorrorTalk.com:

"I Kill in Peace precariously balances a borderline offensive narrative and a protagonist we keep hesitating to root for, but Shea's provocations always seem to poke at society as a whole and Blades is just the unfortunate vessel for all our concerns and fears. The novella proves a perfect format for this fast-paced, brutal meditation on justifiable murder and vigilante justice in a world that is quickly rotting from the i
Rich D.
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-novellas
Review copy provided in exchange for an honest review
I remember reading Hunter's blog posts about this novella back in February and hearing him describe it as something different and that he was worried certain parts might get the axe. Now, as a horror fan, hearing stuff like that sent my anticipation for I Kill in Peace into overdrive! As for it being different, I wasn't worried about that in the slightest. I know that every time I get my hands on a copy of Hunter's work, no matter what it is a
The Grim Reader
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
After the disappointment of my last read I was looking to get back on track and Hunter Shea’s ‘I Kill In Peace’ was just the sort of quick fire book I was looking for. I have enjoyed a number of Shea’s other works such as ‘They Rise’, ‘The Dover Demon’ and ‘Island of the Forbidden’. He has that classic American horror voice that provides good scares, solid characterisation and great storytelling.
I had heard a few things about this novella, mostly about how it was very different to the sort of ho
Nia Ireland
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Peter is a likable main character, he's an ordinary office worker who loves his family and does everything he can to support them until he's laid off by his morally dubious boss. When he's sent a text message telling him to kill his boss, he obviously ignores it at first ... but then it starts to seem like a good idea.

I thought that this book would end in an enjoyable but predictable way but it went off in a completely different direction and blew my mind! I can't give much away because the surp
Andi Rawson
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I Kill in Peace is the first book that I’ve read by Hunter Shea and definitely will not be the last. A fast-paced little novella, it cuts to the chase quickly and doesn’t leave you wanting.

Peter Blades is a normal guy with a normal life. At least until he gets laid off from work and someone who calls himself AO starts sending him messages telling him to kill people, starting with his now former boss. Peter is not a killer. AO convinces him otherwise and with less than subtle methods. When the k
Angela Crawford
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This is in no way reflected in my opinion of this novel.

I Kill In Peace is a nasty piece of work! It is easily the most graphic and violent thing I've read by Hunter Shea to date. If you're squeamish or have delicate sensibilities this one isn't for you. However if you're like me you will love this novella. It's sure to please even the most jaded horror fan. Peter is a great character. I found myself feeling bad for him and wonder
Dick
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the compelling story of a man who begins to get messages from a complete stranger At first the messages are scary but when weapons become part of the demands the hero begins to question his involvement,
His
allow him to stop and things begin to fall seriously apart.

This was a very exciting book
Douglas Castagna
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced and gory, this novella does not disappoint. From an ominous text to a unbelievably F-ed up conclusion, this one by Shea keeps the thrills coming. Descriptive passages of violence and gore can possible make non genre readers stay awake at night, and some lovers of horror as well. Shea has never failed to entertain in all that he does, this one is no exception. Treat yourself.
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-next
It's interesting. It was easy to figure out though.
Amy
Jesse Bollinger
Apr 12, 2016
Shannan
Apr 24, 2016
Hunter Shea is the author of over 25 books, with a specialization in cryptozoological horror that includes The Jersey Devil, The Dover Demon, Loch Ness Revenge and many others. As part of the new horror line at Flame Tree Press, his novel Creature has gained critical acclaim. His novel, The Montauk Monster, was named one of the best reads of the summer by Publishers Weekly. A trip to the Internati ...more