Start by marking “Someone to Look Up To” as Want to Read:
Someone to Look Up To

Read eBook* *Different edition

Someone to Look Up To

By IPPY and Global Ebook Award Winner Jean Gill A dog's life in the south of France. From puppyhood, Sirius the Pyrenean Mountain Dog has been trying to understand his humans and train them with kindness.

Published March 1st 2016 by The 13th Sign (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Someone to Look Up To, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someone to Look Up To

Start your review of Someone to Look Up To
Magdalena
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you ever wondered what your dog really thinks of you, what he makes of you and us humans in general, and what it is like to be a dog, Someone To Look Up To is a book for you.
Jean Gill wrote a beautiful story of Sirius the Pyrenean Mountain Dog. It's heartfelt, imaginative and clever, and most importantly believable.
We experience life of dog with Sirius, from puppyhood to life as an adult dog. The fun and laughter of being a puppy and growing up with others in litter, learning how to be a dog
Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition
We just adopted a young Great Pyrenees male from a very caring animal shelter, so how could I not read this heartwarming book??
The author really gets inside of the head of this wonderful breed and it is fun to read from the dog's perspective. I just want to hug my big boy right now and tell him nothing bad will ever happen to him!
Chantelle Atkins
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I read a book written from the point of view of an animal, though when I was a kid these were my favourite types of book. For this reason, reading this book felt warm and familiar, a bit like coming home. As a dog lover myself, and someone who has fostered many unwanted and neglected dogs, I found this to be a very convincing and sadly all too realistic tale. Sirius is born with luck on his side. He comes from a long line of pedigree, champion Pyrenean Mountain dogs. ...more
Emily Knight
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book Review Someone To Look Up To

Someone To Look Up To
Jean Gill
Dog narrative
Be a dog; think like a dog; feel like dog. This book takes you on a journey of a dog’s life. Septimus, tells us his adventures in his truthful, gorgeously detailed, life story to search for love and understanding.
I really liked the heartfelt narrative which entertained me in not only laughter, but tears too.
I found some of the passages very upsetting but this only reflects the reality that some dogs suffer. Learning to t
Mark Fine
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: I adore dogs and they seem to feel the same way about me. I'd often find myself "projecting" what my canine friend must be thinking: Are those deep brown eyes filled with love or merely yearning for a treat? Finally, thanks to author Jean Gill's splendid book I've now had the privilege to view the world from the grand perspective of a noble hound, Sirius (named after the Dog Star).

Sirius, commonly known as Izzy, is a magnificent white Great Pyrenean Mountain Dog. His gigantic s
Audrey Gibson
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first time I have read a book through the eyes of an animal and I loved it. I am a huge dog lover and this really pulled at my heartstrings. A wonderful story.
Liza Perrat
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this beautifully-written story told from a dog’s point of view. Sirius, a magnificent Soum de Gaia (Pyrenean Mountain Dog) narrates his story and that of his siblings when they leave their mother, and their breeder, their “Choosing” taking each puppy to a very different place.

The author’s deep understanding of, and respect for, the canine psyche, is obvious, perfectly capturing the thoughts and emotions of Sirius as he attempts to understand the world into which he was born,
Lainy
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - 1 day

Pages - 204

Publisher - The 13th Sign

Source - Review copy

Blurb from Goodreads

How this led to their divorce he has no idea. More misunderstandings take Sirius to Death Row in an animal shelter, as a so-called dangerous dog learning survival tricks from the other inmates.
Elissa
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most of this is simply delightful fun, seeing the world through the eyes of a dog, but fair warning: there are some three-hanky moments! The [AUDIO] narrator's soft burr quietly insists on extra attention as he voices Sirius, whose story this is, and then brings to life the puppies, humans, and others who populate the tale. My first thought when hearing the early chapters was simply, "How true!" and I wanted to send copies to any number of humans whose interactions with their pets mirror Mark's ...more
Sally Stackhouse
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This is an interesting and well written story told from the perspective of the main character, a dog.

Although I am not a dog person, but am getting better as both my daughter and son have welcomed large dogs in to their homes, I found it quite an interesting read as we follow the life of Sirius from puppyhood through to a grown dog, his good start in life with a loving family until that goes wrong and a few more unsavoury placements until he finds his forever home.

Set in France with good narra
Vanessa Wild
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the touching ‘autobiography’ of Sirius the Pyrenean Mountain Dog. It’s beautifully, cleverly and imaginatively written. It also really gets into the head of this most wonderful and loyal animal, man’s best friend. Sirius’s voice is so very believable. There are both sad and happy times, as well as some amusing moments. It was such a pleasure to read!

As a dog owner and lover myself, I can highly recommend this enjoyable book to canine fans everywhere.
Dawn Hough
I was really in the mood for this book - wanted something light, something to make me laugh, a story about the love and loyalty of a dog with a little reality check on the cruelty of humans. Boy do dogs have a lot to teach us! A wonderful story when you just feel like sitting down with a book that will warm your heart.
Philippa Mckenna
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbc-widget
I loved this book. Sirius is a majestic Pyrenean Mountain Dog, and the story is brilliantly told from his perspective. It will make you laugh - his interpretations of his humans training methods are hilarious, and it will make you cry, as it is hard to read in places. Overall a lovely story.
Sue Wallace
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
someone to look up to by Jean Gill.
Sirius is a pyrenean Mountain dog and this is his story.
a very enjoyable read. Very cleverly written. loved Sirius character. 4*.
Stacey
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad and beautiful!

I am an animal lover, owning 5 large house dogs, and I used to own 5 horses. One of my dogs, who was a stray who just stayed, and the last dog I acquired is a wonderful and loving Great Pyrenees named Jobi. So needless to say, when I saw this book, I knew that I had to read it. When I see ads on TV about the homeless and sad dogs, I have to turn the channel, as I can't bare to see those poor little animals. (I am not a cheapskate who refuses to donate, I am just a poor old pers
C.M.T. Stibbe
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someone To Look Up To is a delightful story about a dog born in the Pyrenees with two sisters and four brothers. But Sirius is no ordinary dog and he’s certainly no straw-fowler. He’s a Soum de Gaia, born of better stock. From first bite to tail-length drools, power launches and flying, Sirius is a unique dog. A dog that wants adventure, a dog that yearns for that breath of love. What I loved about this book was a dog’s eye view of humans, intuitive and hilarious, and so well written I’m convinc ...more
Lesley Keddy
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a story told from a dog's point of view. As a dog owner myself I loved it although it was very sad in places. The story is narrated by "Izzie" AKA Sirius de Soum de Gaia (Pyrenean Mountain Dog) and follows the story of himself, his siblings Stratos, Sancho, Septimus and Snow when they leave their mother. "The Choosing" takes them in very different directions. I won't say too much more for fear of spoiling your read. If you are dog owner it will certainly make you think.
Anita
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Started off well , disappointed with the ending
Melanie Lewis
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible-books
Ms Gill - what have you done to me? I am at risk of serious dehydration from the copious amount of crying that accompanied listening to this book. I started leaking at about 90 minutes in, and then never really stopped! You'd have to possess a heart of stone not to be moved by this tale of Sirius, the wonder dog. I've met about some really depraved and evil villains in my reading history, but even the worst decapitating, eye lid removing, hog tying, alive burning, limb removing murderers were mo ...more
Bernadette Robinson
I gave this a 3.5 stars or 7/10. My thanks to the Author and Publisher via TBConFB for the opportunity to read this in exchange for an honest review.

This is an unusual book, whilst it draws on some real life events it's a work of fiction, the people and characters are in the main fictitious as the acknowledgements tell us, apart Michel Hasbrouck a renowned dog trainer.

This is a gentle story told from the perspective of Sirius (aka Izzie), a Pyrenean Mountain Dog. Jean Gill has got inside the hea
Helen Robare
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful, terrific book! Yes, it's sad at times but nothing that is written is a lie. This book is told from the dog's point of view and gives a really good idea of the way dogs (no matter the breed) think. As for the sad parts, unfortunately, the same things happen every day of the week. The only problem I had with this book is that it wasn't longer! Hopefully, the author plans a sequel. For anyone who loves and/or wants to understand how a dog thinks (especially a Great Pyrenees), ...more
Becky
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written through the eyes of a dog, the book emphasizes the unconditional love from our pets and their total dependency on us for their love and care. I laughed at some of the dog's interpretations of human behavior and I cried at the treatment of misunderstood dogs by unqualified caretakers. I'll close now to cuddle with Emerson, Keats and Bronte, my own rescued pups.
Ruth McFarlane
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WONDERFUL read and what a genius idea - to do it in the first "person" from the dog's perspective. I loved it !!! Read it in one day ------- keep'em coming please
Sharon
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love animals especially dogs & cats & I absolutely loved this book. It was great to read the story from the perspective of the dog, to get inside the mind of the dog. Second book I have read & enjoyed by the author. ...more
Kel
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book, the journey of Sirius was written in such an enlightening way that makes you really think about the ways your furry family members behave. It was a highly enjoyable read which takes you on the highs and lows of the early years of this adorable Patou, I laughed during the puppy months for Sirius as it reminded me of my sisters puppy.

This book will be an enjoyable read for any animal/dog lover as whilst tinged with sadness it is written with great research and accura
Cassandra MADEUP BookBlog
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved evey page of this story.

A Beautiful yet sometimes heartwrenching tale from on pedigree dogs perspective, of all the trials a dog faces. The way they see situations in comparison to ours, and all written in a way that you truly feel like you are following this animal through their story.

This book has made me laugh, smile and cry, and it’s incredibly rare i cry when reading, but this books is so brilliantly written it tugs at your emotions throughout.

“Izzie” is a character that
Margie
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is written from the dog's point of view of what is happening around and to him. He sees the best and worse of pet owners and breeders and tells what he is feeling. Interesting book though I thought it ended too quick.
Gail Carroll
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have just finished reading Someone to look up to by Jean Gill. What a lovely, well written book - I was fully transported into the story and fell hook line and sinker for Sirius laughed at his antics and cried with him at times. Highly recommended.
Anita Kovacevic
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
Warmth, kindness and understanding - Someone to Look Up To

This story simply oozes love and understanding, and even tough, or precisely because, it is a dog's book, everything in it is as human(e) as we wish we would be, if we only tried a little more. Family ties, loyalty, mischief, consolation, kindness, wisdom, respect, experience, a range of thoughts and emotions displayed from a dog's perspective, with deep empathy, but never condescending, mushy or pathetic, toward the main character or the
LitPick Book Reviews
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sirius de Soum de Gaia was born, along with two sisters and four brothers, to two of the best show dogs in history and has always been told to keep his head high, regardless of anything that might happen. It is quite hard for Sirius to do that when his master gives him to a family that doesn’t want him and brings him to an S.P.A. refuge.

After several weeks at the refuge, Sirius’ brother, Stratos, comes; Sirius is overjoyed. Unfortunately, just a few weeks later, Stratos is put down, and Sirius
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Replacing ebook covers with new one 15 31 Oct 23, 2017 11:03AM
eBook Miner: Dog story - Someone to look up to - Jean Gill 1 8 Jul 09, 2014 05:37AM

• Robins in the Snow (A Dog Romance Story)
  • Shadow
  • The Dog Under The Bed
  • Endal: How One Extraordinary Dog Brought a Family Back from the Brink
  • Dog Love - An Unbreakable Bond: Inspirational Stories of Devotion, Loyalty and Courage
  • Connected Souls A Dog Story
  • Chasing the Blue Sky
  • Jessica's Diary: A sweet story about a puppy with three legs.
  • Silver and Gold (Angel Paws)
  • Finding Harmony
  • A Friend Named Fancy (Second Chances, #3)
  • Chasing Chance (Angel Paws)
  • A Life Worth Living
  • Prisoner of War: Judy
  • Craig & Fred: A Marine, A Stray Dog, and How They Rescued Each Other
  • The Luckiest Dog in the World
  • Christmas Spirit (Angel Paws Holiday, #3)
  • A Forever Home (Second Chances, #1)
Jean Gill is a Welsh writer and photographer living in the south of France with two scruffy dogs, a beehive named 'Endeavour', a Nikon D750 and a man. For many years, she taught English in Wales and was the first woman to be a secondary headteacher in Carmarthenshire. She is mother or stepmother to five children so life was hectic.

Publications are varied, including prize-winning poetry and novels,

News & Interviews