Start by marking “Customer Success: How Innovative Companies Are Reducing Churn and Growing Recurring Revenue” as Want to Read:

Your business success is now forever linked to the success of your customers Customer Success is the groundbreaking guide to the exciting new model of customer management. Business relationships are fundamentally changing. In the world B.C. (Before Cloud), companies could focus totally on sales and marketing because customers were often 'stuck' after purchasing. Therefore, ...more
Published February 16th 2016 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about Customer Success, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Customer Success

Start your review of Customer Success: How Innovative Companies Are Reducing Churn and Growing Recurring Revenue
Camille
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business-reads
I can't lie. This book is boring as shit but I'm the head of a growing customer success team and this is the CS bible at the moment so I'm working my way through it. Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day and so it is that every couple of pages there is some useful information but man it is wildly unfocused and unsure of who it's audience is. Sigh.
Sara
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solid overview of the function, why it’s risen in prominence, how to think about it in your organization, and helpful templates/how tos
Justin Melloni
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book if you are looking at how to bring Customer Success into your organization.
Øystein Nygård
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great starting point to get to know the "new" art of creating customer success teams in a business. It is mostly focused on SaaS-companies, but stresses that customer success as a concept is not confined to the realm of subscription based companies looking for the "wow" - effect, but the principles can be applied cross industries.
The book is built around the 10 Laws of Customer Success, and even if these are all important and great concepts, the fact that they are written by 10
Charles F
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
There are a few interesting ideas in this book, but what bother me the most is that it could be condensed into a long blog post and actually be more impactful.
Calin
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The book covers perfectly and briefly the change to the "subscription economy". It's well written and I particularly liked the 10 rules of Customer Success, and how each of the chapters addressing them is organised and written.

Don't get scared if you're not in SaaS/or any other subscription type of business, this book will apply to you but there might be fragments/chapters here and there that won't fit 100%.

Sometimes the book feels a little bit repetitive, but I noticed this in pretty much all
Laura Wood
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
My low rating is based on my own reading preference, and I am sure others would find more value than I did. A colleague recommended and lent this book to me. However, I do not feel I really gained anything from reading this book. I already understand and agree with the main premise, and know 100% that our company could improve in many areas to become more customer-centric. But there were no key takeaways that I could implement in the role I currently have, unfortunately. Overall reading this ...more
Chad Horenfeldt
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the definitive book on customer success. The 10 laws are a must read for all CS leaders and aspiring leaders. Law #1 "sell to the right customer" seems obvious but isn't as you have to keep living as your business changes. There must be alignment across CS, Sales and Product.

The book states the obvious but creates actionable steps to ensure that you prevent possible sources of churn.

There is also a logical breakdown between high touch, low touch and tech touch customers.

One of the
Rodrigo Suguimoto
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business, nonfiction
The book defines clearly what is and what isn't Customer Success.
Prepare to be presented to an entirely different approach of how to run a business.

This book does more than just explain the concept. They also teach you 'how' and 'why' apply this philosophy to your company in a very direct way with very good analogies. Like this one that I liked the most:

"In a recurring revenue business, there's no such thing as post-sales. Every single activity is a pre-sales activity."

The power is on the
Denise L. Deverelle Crown
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Useful. I picked up a Customer Success team last year and wanted to make sure I was being the best leader I could for them. I picked up 7 or 8 ideas that I will implement that will improve our process and make the team's life easier. The book is easy to digest and it held my attention. I found the 10 Laws of Customer Success to be particularly valuable. This book does a good job providing value if your company's connection to customers is purely digital, or a high-touch enterprise sale, or a ...more
Jan Van Bruaene
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
In some aspect the title of this book should have been "Duh!".

Customer Success brings together a number of items a company may be doing but is doing uncoordinated, reactively and inefficiently.

This book is about creating passionate customers. It will ultimately improve retention and increase recurring sales. Proactively work with customers, define and capture a customer health score.

Implement this and transitioning the company, organization, and practices to this is a lot harder however.
Thomas Mendes
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book really opened up my mind as to why CS is so important and why SaaS and signature companies are so big right now.

The book tells a brief story about the origins of Customer Success, which really sets the tone as to why this discussion is so important.

Every major fundament for dealing with CS is explained, as well as how they would work for non-SaaS companies, which is a very nice touch.

All in all, a very nice beginner's guide for Customer Success.
Sanger Yoo
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
You'll have to pick and choose which parts to read since the book is aimed towards anyone and everyone who works in a Customer Success-related function. The book, however, does contain a wealth of information and suggests processes for a division of SaaS companies that's in its infancy.

I thought that the book would be a sales pitch for GainSight but only one of the chapters is dedicated to it! All in all, a good read with many takeaways. I can see myself coming back to it in the future.
Vasco
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The bad: nothing in specific.

The good: a great CSM manual which encompasses all different kinds of situations, from drop in customer health to the initial enablement/adoption, to different ways of dealing with high touch, low tech and "tech touch" customers. A very complete and comprehensive manual. Excellent read.
Jeff
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
After my first year as a Customer Success Manager, this book highlights most of the challenges that I see everyday. It offers good insight about how to think about the customer journey but also the subtle sales pitch for more technology. Overall it was a good read and reiterates how the role should adapt.
Ben Spilger
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
The book was helpful for understanding the framework for typical SaaS companies. It is also pretentious, highly repackaged, and full of fluff.

CS is about the customer interaction life cycle. If you’ve not read this type of book before, it will suffice. But the same content could (should) be delivered in less than 20 pages!
David Matthews
Aug 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is partially shaped by my own company's implementation of Salesforce and having the hire a middle man consultant as part of that implementation. It didn't help that the book just plain and simple was not an interesting read either.
Robert Chapman
If you are new to this topic then this is the book for you. This book is a one stop read for all of the best practices and critical success factors involved in Customer Success.

If you have already been learning about this topic, then I suspect that you won't find anything new in this book.
Simon Cooper
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work-business
Great book for those working in the Customer Success field. Many interest points of view from leaders in this quickly emerging field. I have a grudge with the term 'Customer' opposed to 'Client', but that's another story.
Serene
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Content in the "10 Laws" section isn't completely MECE, but the ideas are great. Favorites: "Law 3: Customers Expect You to Make Them Wildly Successful," "Law 4: Relentlessly Monitor and Manage Customer Health," and "Law 7: Obsessively Improve Time-to-Value."
Naraen Sridharan
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Solid insights into the world of Saas

Highly recommended for executives in revenue generating roles. Lots of actionable insights that you can implement in your own org.
Elpida
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice book to learn about practical ways to drive revenue on SaaS based offerings... Nice to understand why there are customer success functions in companies these days and what’s their use.
Nick Callahan
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved that it covers how CS impacts all aspects of the business
Jocelyn Leigh
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great overview and intro to Customer Success as an organization, philosophy, and business essential.
Carina
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dry reading (customer success as a phrase repeats A LOT) but the concepts are good.
Clay
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great Book, thought provoking...
Philip Joubert
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good overview of customer success. In terms of writing it's a mixed bag but the content is solid.
Jose Restrepo
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing rules on how you should start looking at your customers before you even have one. Change the way I look at business, sales and long term goals.
Esben
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good intro to customer success
Stefani Šatná
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
This should’ve been a blog post.

• The Effortless Experience: Conquering the New Battleground for Customer Loyalty
  • Measure What Matters
  • Chief Customer Officer 2.0: How to Build Your Customer-Driven Growth Engine
  • Predictable Revenue: Turn Your Business Into a Sales Machine with the $100 Million Best Practices of Salesforce.com
  • Powerful: Building a Culture of Freedom and Responsibility
  • Behind the Cloud: The Untold Story of How Salesforce.com Went from Idea to Billion-Dollar Company-And Revolutionized an Industry
  • Farm Don't Hunt: The Definitive Guide to Customer Success
  • Testing Business Ideas
  • The Startup Owner's Manual Strategy Guide
  • Radical Focus: Achieving Your Most Important Goals with Objectives and Key Results
  • Be Our Guest: Perfecting the art of customer service
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • The Sales Acceleration Formula: Using Data, Technology, and Inbound Selling to go from $0 to $100 Million
  • The Best Service Is No Service: How to Liberate Your Customers from Customer Service, Keep Them Happy, and Control Costs
  • The Ultimate Question 2.0 (Revised and Expanded Edition): How Net Promoter Companies Thrive in a Customer-Driven World
  • High Growth Handbook
  • Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries
“You can't pour enough business into the top of the funnel to sustain real growth if customers are leaking out the bottom at a high rate.” 0 likes