Start by marking “Radical Focus: Achieving Your Most Important Goals with Objectives and Key Results” as Want to Read:

"This book is useful, actionable, and actually fun to read! If you want to get your team aligned around real, measurable goals, Radical Focus will teach you how to do it quickly and clearly." - Laura Klein, Principal, Users Know

An actionable business book in the form of a fable.

Radical Focus tackles the OKR movement and better goal setting through the powerful story of H
Published February 6th 2016 by Cucina Media LLC (first published February 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Radical Focus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radical Focus

kartik narayanan
Folks, here's our second podcast - on the book Radical Focus. Please listen, share and give us feedback. Podcast

The text review is available at Digital Amrit

Here's an excerpt...
---------------------
Today we will be looking at Radical Focus – a book which introduces the concept of OKRs – Objectives and Key Results and how they can be used in organizations as well as in our personal lives. Well, what are OKRs and how can they help you?

Let us consider these fictional situations.

You are part of a
Qwantu Amaru
Fantastic model - average book

The OKR model is a great way to drive more focus into an organization and achieve greater results. My issue is the structure of the book. Part overview, part fable, and part testimonial it seems like the author should have stuck with a single approach for clarity's sake. Really enjoyed the fable part actually as she writes this as if it were a novel with a great detail orientation.
Rian Merwe
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a really difficult one to rate. The ideas in the book are great—we are implementing OKRs at our company and this model is perfect for us. That said, the first 2/3rds of the book is almost entirely unnecessary. It's meant to be a real-life application but it reads like a bad romance novel ("Jack grimaced ruefully" is an actual sentence in the book).

My advice is to skip the first 2/3rds entirely, and get to the really great stuff in the last 1/3rd of the book.
Erin Weigel
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I primarily read business and personal development books, and I tend to have an aversion to any kind of fiction. When I read stories or novels, they're almost always based on real events or are biographies.

The way Christina Wodtke wrote "Radical Focus" is a refreshing approach to business books, which uses storytelling as a method of teaching the goal-setting philosophy behind OKRs. I'm certain I will find myself referring to the events and learning from the characters in the book while my team
Ricardo Magalhães
I never thought I'd rate a business-oriented book 5 stars, not owning a business myself, but here I am doing so. I've always been vaguely aware of OKRs and how they could be applied to business thinking, but never in such clarity as I now possess after reading this. Firstly, the book itself is beautifully engaging; using storytelling, Christina stays clear of the typical "shoulds and musts" in every technical book out there. Mind you, these bits exist, but they're very cleverly inserted between ...more
V
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A lot of common sense riddled with grammatical and spelling errors. The book could be codensed to: set a large objective you can use to frame your goals, set smaller reach goals that support the larger objective, rinse and repeat every quarter. Things to watch out for: sandbagging (setting easily-achieved goals), losing momentum after the first failure, maintaining steam and morale in the face of intentionally hard-to-reach goals.

I wouldn't recommend this book. Search "OKRs" and I'm sure the fir
Razin Mustafiz
I enjoyed parts of this book especially the chapters on the fictional startup. But the rest felt like a really long blog post. If you're new to OKRs, I'd recommend High Output Management by Andy Grove instead.
Mohammed Al-Mansari
Very nice book with a smart style that goes from the definition to an amazing example story to more insights to a number of valuable quotes to a final summary. I recommend to add more fine grained examples and guidance comments that cover lower management levels.
Dave Bolton
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Straight forward narrative on how OKRs work, highlighting some of the gotchas for new players. Quick read, good to get a team across the intent of the framework.
Jose Papo
This book explains about the OKRs system of management. It uses the format of a novel (like the book "The Goal" by Goldratt) to explain the concepts. It's very basic and doesn't go deep in specific details and questions, but it's a good book if you are starting with the OKRs system.
Ran
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is a fable of an early stage startup and the author uses the story to show the importance of focus and introduced the OKR framework that will help with focus. Really excited about trying out the framework.
Ola
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A page turner and a very useful one.
Rafael Mueller
Amazing book, it's like 'ORK from the trenches"
Brendon Wilson
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good way to start the New Year!

Christina foregoes the usual padding common in most business books and delivers a concise, compelling argument for the use of OKRs in business and in life. A quick, enjoyable read for anyone seeking a better way to set and track their project’s progress.

I have only two complaints: 1) I’d like to see more examples of well-stipulated Objectives and Key Results to complement the instructional text (or possibly a set of self-guided exercises with questions to ask on
Oleg Shpak
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to understand introduction into idea of OKR. Story about fictional startup is relatable and examples make sense. This is the book to read to accept idea of OKR. It is much better intro than dry Doerr's book or Google's presentation. I heard text book had a lot of cringeworthy grammar errors so I got an audiobook. No issues there.
Alpha
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely worth a read!

“Why do we fail to meet our goals?”

This book acknowledges the one thing we all know but some find difficult to admit: that we fail to meet our goals. Then proceeds to explain how to move from there to achieving them
Cristian Soto
I've read a review that said that the first 2/3 of the book can be totally avoided and you can easily go directly to 'part 3' where the stories end. I always try to give the author an opportunity but with some expectations because of the review. It happens to be true. Let's give credit to the author, she tried to build a good story in order to grasp the main points of the book in a different way but it felt too forced. When the stories ended the book improved a 100%. It's like this is her natura ...more
Faith
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Skip the stupid narrative about the hipster tea company and go straight to the end of the book where there’s some helpful info on OKRs. Like most business books, this could have been a pamphlet.
Rick te Molder
Great book on OKRs. First half in novel form, second half pure non-fiction. The novel may not win the next Nobel prize in literature, but the narrative adds to the understanding of when and why OKRs are important. No dry summing up of these reasons could bring that message across the way Wodtke did it. The second part provides practical tips about how to apply OKRs.
Why five stars? I found myself actually thinking differently after reading this book, making better decisions, and executing with m
Benton Turner
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Focus is so important today. In anything you do, whether it's startups, or anything else. You need radical focus to resist the shiny objects motivated to take your attention, more accessible and potent than ever before. Most people don't do well to resist them, and so you have a competitive advantage by doing so. Similarly, at the organization level, your startup, or whatever you are working on, benefits from focus. It's easy to be derailed when you encounter inevitable challenges fro ...more
Tõnu Vahtra
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was idling in my "to read" list for too long, discovered it a few months ago through a reference from Marty Cagan's "Inspired". Didn't expect much from a 160-page book, especially after discovering that half of it is written in a fictional management fable format. In this sense it actually reminds me a bit of Lencioni's books (5 dysfunctions of a team et al). Actually the book was just about the right length so that there wasn't any considerable repetition. I have been looking for a go ...more
Anton Nikolov
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the whole book because I enjoyed the story that describes the application of OKR's. We already are using the methodology in the company I work for. So the story clicked quite well with me.
However, if you feel you want to read it faster ( even though it's a short book) you probably can start around page 70 and you should be able to get the essence of the method and why it is effective.

I would recommend that you read the whole book. I do think the method is applicable also outside the bus
Kristina
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book is an oxymoron. The title is intriguing but the 150 pages could have been one A4 instead. I’m a big fan of OKR system, but the book is written for either very low intelligence or for someone who has a lot of downtime. Skip the first 100 pages and read titles from then onwards. There are better resources on web.
Nopadol Rompho
If you want to know more about OKRs, Objective and Key Results, the performance management tool used in Google, LinkedIn, Zynga etc, I would strongly recommend you to read this book. It is also fun to read since this book includes the fiction-like story.
Willian Molinari
This one is hard to rate. I'm not sure if I liked it or not, and it's probably related to the structure of the book.

It starts as a non-fiction/business book, as I expected it to be, but out of nowhere, it became "a novel" (big quotes here). This "novel" part was not too bad, I liked it in the end, but it was totally unexpected. I really like "The Phoenix project" which follows the same idea of narrative, but the whole book was created with that goal in mind.

When we get this structure out of the
wanderonwards
I read this book because of work, and I went into it with no expectations other than I was ready to learn something new that I could apply to my job. I was excited at the idea that the author would be explaining the key concepts in the form of a fable, but the idea fell utterly short for me.

In all, Radical Focus, is an average book that contains great information and concepts, but spends time on the wrong topics. I still feel the fable was a great idea, but the author executed it poorly. Instead
Travis
The first half is written as a story so easy to understand and the second half is the actual how to implement it.

What I like about this is that i think we all have a great heart, we all want to see many things happen. We want big big results. But we get distracted on the way and other things seem really cool or really great to try and do. Then we don’t really get anything done. So the idea of FOCUS is a great idea. We want to focus on a specific area for a specific time. Then we have momentum go
Derek Bailey
Not only is this book clearly written from actual experience, but it also leaves things broad enough for you to have an open mental dialog with the text that helps relate back to how you might be able to use the material AND manages to cover the it all in a fun and engaging manner.

CONTENT / SUBJECT MATTER

The book mainly advertises that it is about OKRs which stands for Objectives and Key Results. The idea is that using these can help you better understand how your team and product are doing by
Vivify M
OKRs didn't seem complex enough to warrant an entire book dedicated to the topic. But as with most things, the more I've discovered about them, the more questions I have.
I was hoping that this book would be able to answer all my questions, and one's that I do not yet have. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case. It certainly answered many questions, but only at the end of the book.
The fictional story, which takes up most of the book didn't add much for me, and only the later part was interes
Ryan Frantz
To my mind, OKRs are the latest incarnation of clear planning. They are very much synonymous with goals and milestones in that they define a desired outcome and statements that should help measure progress toward those outcomes. In other words, there's nothing new under the sun. However, the parable of the startup struggling to focus their collective efforts is a nice way to introduce an otherwise dry topic; very few folks get excited about planning. And to that point, what makes goal setting an ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Practitioner's Guide to Product Management
  • Think First: My No-Nonsense Approach to Creating Successful Products, Memorable User Experiences + Very Happy Customers
  • Design a Better Business: New Tools, Skills, and Mindset for Strategy and Innovation
  • Product Leadership: How Top Product Managers Launch Awesome Products and Build Successful Teams
  • It's Our Research
  • Meeting Design: For Managers, Makers, and Everyone
  • Org Design for Design Orgs: Building and Managing In-House Design Teams
  • Product Management in Practice: A Real-World Guide to the Key Connective Role of the 21st Century
  • Strategize: Product Strategy and Product Roadmap Practices for the Digital Age
  • Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both
  • Build Better Products
  • Intercom on Product Management
  • How to Make Sense of Any Mess: Information Architecture for Everybody
  • Designing Together: The Collaboration and Conflict Management Handbook for Creative Professionals
  • Badass: Making Users Awesome
  • The Leadership Gap: What Gets Between You and Your Greatness
  • Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects
  • The User's Journey: Storymapping Products That People Love
Christina Wodtke trains companies to move from insight to execution as principal of her firm, Wodtke Consulting, and teaches the next generation of entrepreneurs at California College of the Arts and Stanford Continuing Education.

Christina has led redesigns and initial product offerings for such companies as LinkedIn, Myspace, Zynga, Yahoo!, Hot Studio, and eGreetings. She has founded two consulti
“It’s not important to protect an idea. It’s important to protect the time it takes to make it real. You” 2 likes
“Don’t tell people how to do things, tell them what you need done and let them surprise you” 2 likes