Start by marking “The Whistler (The Whistler, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Whistler (The Whistler, #1)

The Whistler (The Whistler #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  55,334 Ratings  ·  4,641 Reviews
We expect our judges to be honest and wise. Their integrity and impartiality are the bedrock of the entire judicial system. We trust them to ensure fair trials, to protect the rights of all litigants, to punish those who do wrong, and to oversee the orderly and efficient flow of justice.

But what happens when a judge bends the law or takes a bribe? It’s rare, but it happens
Published October 25th 2016 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Whistler, please sign up.
Penny Eh. Very disappointed in the last 30 pages or so. It's like he got tired of writing and just said, "So this is what happened." All narrative. The last…moreEh. Very disappointed in the last 30 pages or so. It's like he got tired of writing and just said, "So this is what happened." All narrative. The last chapter is a waste as well. Sounds like he had a time limit and stopped typing when the bell rang in the middle of a paragraph. Story is somewhat interesting. Characters not so much.(less)
ELIZABETH TIERNEY Disappointing. Predictable. Not his best by far...suspect too much pressure to publish for the holidays. Yes, a bathtub read!

Linda
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Like an ol' song from the renowned B.B. King: "The thrill is gone".

Oh, yeah. I'm gonna catch a lot of flack from the die-hard Grisham fans. Funny thing. I'm one of them. I've read everything "Grisham" from his very first to this current one. I'd read his grocery list, too. But this one.......

Something smells like three-day-old fish washed up on the shores of a Florida beach. Instead of rotting fish, it's a Florida judge who seems to be caught up in a net of judicial misconduct floating in the wa
Matthew
About as mediocre as it gets. Not bad, not good . . . just soooooo plain vanilla. There may have been one exciting moment toward the middle of the book. The rest of the time it was just some lawyers and some judges and some bad guys doing some corrupt stuff, investigations, eating (so many descriptions of the food the characters eat - more so than story in some cases), etc. When the resolution of the story happened I barely noticed because the tone stayed flat.

I think Grisham used all of his exc
Maureen
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having previously reviewed the 4 chapter version, I was given a copy of the book by Shotsmag and have now reviewed the book in its entirety. Thank you to www.shotsmag.co.uk for my copy in exchange for a fair and honest review*

Who judges the judges? Personally it's not something I've ever given any thought to, but John Grisham has created a unique and exciting storyline based around this very subject.

Maureen
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to be offered the chance to read this short 4 chapter preview of John Grisham's new thriller 'The Whistler'. Well, who wouldn't want to read this excellent author even if it isn't the full book?

Lacy Stolz investigates cases of judicial misconduct in Florida. She has her share of interesting cases but nothing that will set the world on fire, that is until Greg Myers approaches her with the mother of all judicial misconduct complaints.

Lacy, along with her working partner Hugo,
Andrew Smith
When Grisham is good he’s very good – witness Sycamore Row, The Litagators, and The Firm – but when he is bad…

In recent times I struggled through Gray Mountain and hoped it might just be a blip in the midst of a run of good form, but I’m afraid this one proves that not to be the case. The basic tale is of a team of government lawyers whose task it is to investigate potentially corrupt judges. A particular judge is fingered by a whistle-blower (hence the title) and the team set to work. What
Matt
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I don't usually go for half-stars, but this one is more than a three and surely less than four. So... 3.5 it is!

In his latest novel, garnering many mixed reviews, Grisham seeks to offer readers yet another angle of the law in thriller format. Lacy Stoltz is gainfully employed with the Florida Bureau of Judicial Conduct, a branch of the state government tasked with keeping those who occupy the bench from stepping too far out of line. When Lacy and her partner, Hugo, meet with Greg Myers, he lets
Gary
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have read most of John Grisham's novels so I was always going to read this one and so when offered the opportunity to read this preview I had no hesitation. The only problem is as expected the preview only succeeded in drawing me in and left me wanting more. The book is out in October so not too long to wait but I wish it was sooner.

The novel starts with Lacy Stoltz an investigator who works on judicial misconduct cases in Florida. Up to now she has only worked on fairly small cases but sudden
Jim
Once upon a time when a new John Grisham book was released it was a magical moment. I would read the book as soon as I could get my hands on it. I was totally immersed. I'm talking about books like A Time to Kill, The Client, The Runaway Jury, etc. Every book was a great read, a page turner. Alas, those days appear to be over. Today it appears it is more about quantity rather than quality. Just crank them out. People will read them. I will say that I thought that this latest effort was better th ...more
Monnie
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quandary time: I really enjoyed this book - in fact, perhaps more than the last two or three from this popular author (if possible, I'd give it 4.5 stars). For openers, there's a noticeable absence of the industry-bashing that's been common of late (much to my dislike), and the focus is almost entirely on legal procedure that's reminiscent of earlier and, IMHO, more enjoyable works.

On the other hand, it struck me as different enough that it may not sit well with die-hard fans. Can I call it, fo
Judy Collins
OUTSTANDING! 5 Stars ++ Top 50 Books of 2016!

Following John Grisham’s great intro prequel, Witness to a Trial, a perfect set up to the highly anticipated, THE WHISTLER What is not to LOVE?

First and foremost, the “King” of modern legal thrillers. Grisham is back full throttle! 29 books #1 bestsellers

Indian Casinos: Unregulated, lots of cash and plenty who want a piece of it: Treasure Key, Florida Panhandle near Pensacola

A Whistle-blower: Love them! Exposing the unethical and pow
Stacey
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I like John Grisham, BUT this one left me feeling luke warm. Don't get me wrong dirty judges and stealing money from casinos is a great idea for an exciting story and it definitely had its moments. I liked the added romance for a little sizzle, but sadly this just fizzled.
♥ Sandi ❣
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ♥ Sandi ❣ by: Dah... it's John Grisham
Layer after layer of crime, racketeering, money laundering, murder, the syndicate, a judge on the take, an innocent man on death row and an unnamed whistle blower. Typical John Grisham novel. Then bring in an Indian reservation, the Florida Judicial Board of Conduct and the FBI as the novel ramps up. This was a who dun it that you already knew who the bad guy was - the story revolved around how the bad guy was brought to justice. Many characters in this book, along with some twists and turns.
Gr
L.A. Starks
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of Grisham's finest in his signature Southern raconteur style, with a big ol' plot that wraps around judge corruption (Grisham gets the legal points just right) and Indian gambling casinos. This book, as do some of his others, takes a welcome chance with POV--it is neither limited third nor omniscient, but something in between as readers are taken inside the heads of several characters.

In another refreshing change, the book easily passes the Bechdel test--that is, there are several strong fe
Paul
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Three weeks from now, I will probably have no recollection of this book and I'm ok with that.

Edit (12/13/16--2 weeks later). Very little recall. All I remember was a casino, a crooked judge and a car accident.
Bj
4 "A Casino, Mobsters & A Corrupt Judge" Stars for the story and 4.5 Stars for the narration!

The Whistler is a tale of the perfect storm of corruption, a corruption so profound and well hidden that it lasts decades and involves an entire Native American tribe, countless of mobsters that have previously evaded law enforcement attention, numerous murders, a corrupt judge, and her attorney, as well as loads of dirty cash. Going deep into how the organization of a Native American tribe and the f
The Pfaeffle Journal (Diane)
3.5 - Good story but nothing ground breaking. I enjoyed listening to the book. Sometimes Grisham can just knock you off your feet, this wasn't one of those times.
Barbara
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-challenge

Lacy Stoltz and Hugo Hatch are lawyers with the 'The Florida Board on Judicial Conduct', which investigates claims that Florida judges are engaging in inappropriate or illegal behavior. This can range from being drunk on the job, to propositioning attorneys for sex, to taking bribes.....or worse.

Even so, Lacy and Hugo are skeptical when a disbarred lawyer, who calls himself Greg Myers, claims that Judge Claudia McDover is in cahoots with the Coast Mafia - a criminal organization that engineered
Una Tiers
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
The book opens with a good hook. It moves through predictable plot points, mostly. But the plot is so entangled the ending is tedious trying to tie everything together. Grisham also has a tendency to overuse phrases to the point where the impact is lost.
Biggus
Oct 30, 2016 rated it did not like it
If you want to stay a Grisham fan (and I am one, trust me) stay away from this one. Flat characters, no empathy at all and frankly, it is boring. I gave this one 8 hours (of 13, audio book) and I just couldn't stand any more. I've read all of his books and liked them all and loved many. One or two were clunkers, but I always finished them. Not this one though. :(

Sorry John, go back to the courtroom and keep away from this stuff.
C.
I'd say 3.5 stars. Interesting story,but other than the car accident, no tension or suspense and the ending felt rushed. Really didn't feel much for the characters, either.

I did appreciate that there were only a few scattered-mild curses.

I want to try something else by him, but am having difficulty choosing a book, as most of his stories involve elements that I avoid, such as serial killers, or abduction/abuse/harm to a child.

'Runaway Jury'- is a possibility.
Truman32
John Grisham’s The Whistler details the real-life heroic and musical story of Earle Hagan, as he rose from a poor beet farmer in Illinois to become –co-writing and performing the Andy Griffith Show theme song-the most famous whistler the world has ever known. Earle’s masterful use at “playing the lip trombone” as the whistler community calls it, endeared him to many families, spanning generations and won him the awe and adoration of many American Presidents and movie stars.

Well…no.

Actually, The
Donna
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
I'll admit that I have a soft spot for this author. I've read everything he has written. When my kids were very young, it was a real treat to find a little extra quiet time to curl up with a book and it was usually a Grisham one.

I liked the story line. The author always seems to have a great tale to share. I also liked the characters and the way the story moved. All of that made this a book I liked, I just didn't feel the love though. Some of the dialogue was awfully wordy. I thought it could ha
Jenny GB
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Grisham's latest tells the story of an effort to take down a corrupt judge and a mafia ring in Florida. Lacy works for the Board on Judicial Conduct and hears from a mysterious informant that he will file a complaint about the most corrupt judge in America. This leads into a tangled web of bribery, murder, and intimidation that puts Lacy and those she trusts in danger.

I felt like this book was lazily written. We don't really get inside any particular character's head and the danger felt really f
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it

You know when you’re on holiday in Crete or wherever and the hotel has a big bookcase that guests can help themselves to. Well, if you find a John Grisham book in there, it’s like holiday gold. There’s a good couple of days of pool-side reading right there.

I’ve read about a dozen of his books over the years. Some I’ve just found ’good’, whereas others I’ve found to be edge-of-seat, eye-popping thrilling. So I think it’s safe to say I’m a fan. Not a fangirl, but deffo a fan. So when the lovely pe
Karan Rajpal
Jan 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is not only the worst John Grisham book I've ever read (and I'd like to think I've read them all), but it is a very bad book in itself. It's the kind of books publishers and editors would give their flunkies to show them how bad a book can be if they don't pay attention to their craft.

The story, the construct and characters are okay. They exist in unknown, or little known cities and towns in suburban America, a Grisham specialty in a way. They do things which the mainstream has little idea
Tim
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This would have been better with more connection to the prequel, "Witness to a Trial." Could also have used more justice than basically shaming one of the criminal characters. 6 of 10 stars
Jean
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book covers Native American land that is used by a gambling casino. The Tappucola tribe finds themselves involved with the Coast Mafia. A whistle-blower reports the corruption including skimming and laundering the Casino’s cash offshore.

Our protagonist is Lacy Stoltz, an investigator for the Florida Board on Judicial Conduct. Lacy is an attorney who investigates Judges; she is not a law enforcement officer. She is investigating Judge Claudia McDover. Lacy finds herself up against the head o
JanB
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
There was an interesting set up: a corrupt judge connected to an Indian casino, the whistle blower who tipped off the authorities, and the pair of investigators sent to look into the charges against the judge. Unfortunately, the best part of the book was in the first 25%, and it went downhill from there. The story was dull with no surprises (well, ok, there was one surprise but the character wasn't well-developed enough for me to care much about what happened to him), the characters were dull, a ...more
Marleen
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A totally riveting read! I especially enjoyed how the tension built up from chapter to chapter as two lawyers from the Board of Judicial Conduct (in Florida), Lacey Stoltz and Hugo Hatch, investigate a complaint to expose a corrupt judge, if not the most crooked judge ever.
The Board needs to substantiate the misconduct, and it takes time to get proof: over the course of weeks, they meet with the complainant, the mysterious lawyer, Greg Myers who only acts as the spokesperson for the real whistle
Freda Malone
I was so excited when I started reading the first few chapters. My thought was that at some point in the story, Grisham would drop a bomb-shell of a suspect or the killer, or give us a loot of red herrings. By the time I reached page 300, I was beginning to feel a bit disappointed. We all know what generally happens when the bad guys are caught, how long it takes to get charges filed, cases seen by a judge, and assets liquidated, rewards given out, compensation allotted out to the victims, and s ...more
  • The Wrong Side of Goodbye (Harry Bosch, #19; Harry Bosch Universe, #28)
  • Home (Myron Bolitar, #11)
  • Escape Clause (Virgil Flowers, #9)
  • Order to Kill (Mitch Rapp, #15)
  • No Man's Land (John Puller, #4)
  • Cross the Line (Alex Cross, #24)
  • Sting
  • Paws and Effect (A Magical Cats Mystery, #8)
  • The One Man
  • Damaged
  • This Was a Man (The Clifton Chronicles, #7)
  • The Quick Adios (Times Six)
  • Night School (Jack Reacher #21)
  • The Whole Town's Talking
  • The Futures
  • The Risen
  • Killer Look (Alexandra Cooper #18)
  • Turbo Twenty-Three (Stephanie Plum, #23)
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of
More about John Grisham

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“The sixth and last eulogy was from Roderick, Hugo and Verna’s oldest child. He wrote a three-page tribute to his father, and it was read by the reverend. Even Michael Geismar, a cold-blooded Presbyterian, finally succumbed to his emotions. The” 1 likes
“Nor did she like society’s way of presuming she was unhappy because she had not found the right guy.” 1 likes