Start by marking “Ascending” as Want to Read:
Ascending

Ascending

(League of Peoples #5)

Oar is the last of her kind -- a resident of the so-called "planet of no return," once the Admiralty's dumping ground for undesirables and those who had become expendable. Oar's transparent body is indestructible. Yet the mind it houses grows weary and will soon surrender to the catatonic torpor that has already claimed the others of her genetically altered human race. But ...more
Published (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Ascending, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ascending

Peter Tillman
"Wacky space opera, with a rather enjoyably pulpish feel, narrated in an exagerratedly adolescent and quite engaging voice. What's it about? Oar Saves the Universe, of course -- plus weird aliens and stuff." -- Rich Horton, from an old Usenet post

Rich's capsule is fair and accurate. I enjoyed the book -- an engagingly-silly diversion. "B", maybe even "B+." Or maybe not -- the ending was a bit much. As is the Pollisand, the headless, clairvoyant, pedantic magical Superthing.

Review written circa 2
Squeaky
I am such a one as would like to see more of Oar.
Genna
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was completely addictive. If you like organismal biology and anatomy, this is the book for you. I fell in love with Expendable but my favorite character in this book was the male Zarrett, Nimbus. This book is narrated by Oar and I thoroughly loved Oar in Expendable. Her narration and childish mind constantly makes you laugh. The suspense keeps you turning the pages. I'd recommend this book to anyone. I'm not a huge reader of sci-fi but James Alan Gardner is an amazing author.
Booknerd Fraser
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Always enjoy a League of Peoples/Festina Ramos story. This one broadens the scope of things. Only two more to go.
Anonymole
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Basic test [yes/no:]: Would I recommend you read this book or not. Was it worth the few hours spent reading it? Am I pleased that I spent the time reading it? --- Yes ---
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gardner was a new author for me, with this book. To me, this novel suffered a lot due to the fact that it seemed like the author couldn't decided whether he wanted to write a tongue-in-cheek, funny farce or a serious sf adventure. The result was something that can't really be taken seriously, but isn't really funny, either.
The narrator is Oar, the last (conscious) woman of her kind - a woman made of transparent glass, who looks, we are told "llike a digital effect." She is also incredibly self-a
Kevin Brown
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-ficition
This book has probably one of the most unique coming of age stories I have EVER read. The main character acts like a twelve year old girl. Fortunately a funny character who starts off selfish but adorable and grows into a good strong hero.
For a full review of this book check out my video.
For a look at the series as a whole check out this video.
Hien
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
My favorite book in Gardner's "Expendable" universe. It's absolutely hilarious. Even the chapter titles are funny. It's about a transparent girl (literally). Her people has flesh that's transparent and she thinks opaque people are terribly ugly. She's not very smart but she thinks she is. She somehow gets pulled into events far greater than her.

Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

I mistakenly (in my earlier reading years) read this book from the League of Peoples series out of order. This one is book 4. I am going to backtrack and read the rest though because this book was fantastic.

Science Fiction at its' best. ♥
Juliana Rew
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the character Oar! She appears in several of Gardner's books, all in the excellent League of Peoples series.
Will Caskey
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best. Sci fi. Ever.

It is told from the point of view of Oar from Expendables. If that doesn't convince you I don't even know what to say.
RF
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great novel
Bananules
Very odd book. This is the only one I have read of this series. Overall it was a good read, but I found the main character to be irritating at times. The story was interesting though.
Brian Gaston
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This a very good series by Gardner and this is a strong book in the series.
Michael Burnam-Fink
I'm conflicted about Ascending. On the one hand, the story started in Expendable continues directly, with more space action and investigations into the deepest sins of the League of People, on the other hand I Am Not Such As One Who Thinks Oar Is Cute.

Four years after Expendable, Oar wakes up on Melaquin, healed by ridiculously advanced technology, just in time to be picked up by a biological spaceship named Starbiter crewed by Uclod, a semi-criminal information broker trying to get some advanta
Stuart Dean
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oar, the Glass Girl from Expendable returns from the dead (literally). She is immediately chased by evil aliens, chased by the human Navy, meets Festina Ramos again, and makes a deal with Satan. The book is told from Oar's point of view, so that means the pov of someone with the intellectual maturity of an eight year old girl. It's entertaining when she acts like a petulant child, becomes a bit grating when everyone else does the same. I'm going to give Gardner the benefit of the doubt and belie ...more
Katherine
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the first novel, we are introduced to the premise that an extra-dimensional council watches over the universe, applying capital punishment to violent/non-sentient creatures that venture inter-stellar space, but welcoming emerging civilizations with advanced technology and gifts of longevity, This book takes a look at the (seemingly) altruistic motives and the consequences of this largesse. It is told primarily from the point of view of Oar, who recognizes that some people need a solid punch i ...more
Mike
Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth Festina Ramos book. Its told from the point of view of Oar who was a character in the first book, Expendable. Once you get used to the style she uses to tell her story, I found it perfectly fine, but it did take me a few pages.

I enjoyed it as a read, but it was may be a slight step down from the first three books. It won't stop me reading number 5.
Maria Haskins
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Alan Gardner's science fiction novel Ascending is a well-crafted and thoroughly engaging novel in the genre. The world and the characters in it draw you in and make you keep reading. I will definitely be checking out the rest of this series!
Kaby
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A follow-up book with our previous beloved character "Oar" as the protagonist. Very enjoyable with humor and good guys and bad guys.
Penelope
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Loved his incredibly creative aliens.
LadyCroft86
This was entertaining, but nowhere as good as Expendable.
Brandon
Oct 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This League of People was told from the point of view of one of the more interesting characters from a previous book. That made it a little hard to read sometimes, but was entertaining.
Cartogriffi
Kate
Jan 15, 2010
Pyar Se
May 07, 2014

• Hammerfall (The Gene Wars, #1)
  • Wilderness
  • The Secret Books of Paradys (Secret Books of Paradys, #1-4)
  • Wolfking  (Wolfking #1)
  • Starfire (Supernova Alpha, #2)
  • Changing Vision (Web Shifters, #2)
  • Behemoth: Seppuku (Rifters #3.2)
  • Kingdom of Cages
  • The Ruby Dice (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #12)
  • A Flame in Byzantium (Atta Olivia Clemens, #1)
  • The Last World War
  • Scardown (Jenny Casey, #2)
  • A Question of Time (Dracula Series, #7)
  • Waiting for the Galactic Bus (Snake Oil, #1)
  • Hide and Seek (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 3)
  • Eternity's End (Star Rigger, #5)
  • Infinity Beach
Raised in Simcoe and Bradford, Ontario, James Alan Gardner earned Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Applied Mathematics from the University of Waterloo.

A graduate of the Clarion West Fiction Writers Workshop, Gardner has published science fiction short stories in a range of periodicals, including The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction and Amazing Stories. In 1989, his short story "Children o

League of Peoples (7 books)
  • Expendable (League of Peoples, #1)
  • Commitment Hour
  • Vigilant
  • Hunted (League of Peoples, #4)
  • Trapped (League of Peoples, #6)
  • Radiant (League of Peoples, #7)
“I do not care about the greatest good for the greatest number . . . Most people are poop-heads I do not care about them at all.” 5 likes
“What kind of programmer is so divorced from reality that she thinks she'll get complex software right the first time?” 5 likes