Start by marking “Rhapsody For Piano and Ghost” as Want to Read:
Rhapsody For Piano and Ghost

Rhapsody For Piano and Ghost

Fitz Gaffney finally has some breathing room. His mother’s out of town, his piano coaches have backed off, and he’s spending his time in a music conservatory where he only has to be adequate for an entire year before all his responsibilities comes crashing back in again. Along with his new free time comes the realization that he’s lonely, but his first attempt to make new ...more
Published February 26th 2016 by Maxfield Publishing (first published May 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Rhapsody For Piano and Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rhapsody For Piano and Ghost

Start your review of Rhapsody For Piano and Ghost
Ula'ndi Hart
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall book rating: 3.8
Audio book: Douglas Berger - 4
Book Cover: 2

This was funny. I really enjoyed the whole thing with the ghosts and their story. I think that was something that really contributed positively to the book in all because it made it a little more dazzling.

I would be laying outright if I didn't say that Fritz had more than one sparklink moment where he mad me frown and want to smack him upside the head. But then I had to remember than he is a 19 year old shelt
Amy Lane
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this story. I've always been a sucker for the older friend of the family/ingenue storyline, and this one was a pitch-perfect example. Fitz was such a marvelous ingenue in trouble--and Ari was so very patient waiting for him. Watching Fitz fumble to be comfortable in his own skin and to recognize the things in himself that Ari saw was painful and charming at once, and the ending was so worth the suspense. And what can I say about Julian and Serge? Ye gods, they were beautiful--their trag ...more
Lauraadriana
3.25 Stars

Okay this book has a very interesting premise...Fitz is a music prodigy who has lived a sheltered like he is very naive and gets himself into very odd situations. After a particularly ill fated night he's rescued by Serge and Julian a couple of ghosts...Fitz is looking for what everyone is looking for affection and love and happiness.

He goes about it really STUPIDLY and this is where the book annoyed me, I just couldn't connect with Fitz very much, there is a fi
Eden Winters
Wow! How had I never found this little gem before? I loved Fitz, and could so identify with his awkwardness. He's was the totally cute guy you knew from school, who had no idea he was good-looking. Smart too! But lonely. So lonely.

Enter Julian and Serge. Sigh. What a romantic couple and the perfect ones to give our hero the nudge he needed in the right direction. I'm so glad they didn't suddenly disappear at the end.

Ari had a lot of patience and needed every ounce, trying so hard to be with Fi
Ellis Carrington
Holy crap. I must have been so busy waiting with baited breath for the next St. Nacho's book that I passed out and missed this one completely! Color me surprised. Oh. What. Fun. And this was a nice, long, meaty read that I could really sink my teeth into.

So Fitz is kind of young and innocent and on his own for the first time, and manages to dive head-first into the deep, shark-infested end of the dating pool. When he wakes up in a dumpster at the end of an awful encounter (sure, we've all been
Nerine Petros
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
What can I say?? Apart from *Spoiler Alert* (and I don't know how to hide stuff with html code, so just stop reading now, okay?)

I really, really liked this story... it had just the right mix of laughter, tears, joy, family loyalty / fighting because you know things about each other that normal people just don't, hot guys, smokin' ghosts, men who know how to rhumba and lets not forget the angst.

Fitz is a really lonely character to begin with. His life has been all about mu
L-D
I really enjoyed this book and am sorry I waited so long to review it. Fitz Gaffney is a privileged young man living in his mother's house. He is studying piano and is very talented. He's also very lonely and a little bit of a social idiot. When he is hit on by a very cute student named Garrett, he's extremely excited for the attention...until he winds up unconscious in a dumpster.

Ari is his childhood friend and they grew up as stepbrothers. With Fitz's mother out of town, Ari takes
Heidi Cullinan
I've already re-read this book three times, and I love it more in each sitting. Whimsical, heartfelt, and yes, cute, Rhapsody for Piano and Ghost gave me that most coveted of all reader reactions: the urge to sigh, "Aw!" while clutching my Kindle to my now mushy heart.

The ghosts are subtle and have their own story, and I love the underscored idea that true love will always live on no matter what. The still-living lovers are absolutely adorable, both in their earnestness and their clu
Kaje Harper
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read with some great characters - Julian steals the show with style. In fact the ghosts had amazing chemistry as a couple. Fitz was naive and insecure and a little needy, which fit with his cloistered musical-genius upbringing. And the HFN ending was appropriate for his age and inexperience. Whimsical and interesting, and it didn't always go where I was expecting.
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Z.A Maxfield is a writer I enjoy reading. Sadly enough, this was not a winner for me. I feel it's a case of 'its not you, its me'. I couldn't stand the lack of maturity in Fitz Gaffany. He's the type of character I simply avoid. I just kept yearning for something so much better for Ari. No, I don't mind age differences or younger protagonists but this time around I was left cold. I loved the two spiritual beings but gosh both younger characters Fitz & Garret were down right annoying.
Tara
This was a good book. A really good book. But not quite a great book. I'd probably rate it a 3.5, but I've rounded it to 4 because I loved some of the characters.

Fitz is 19 and a musical virtuoso. But he is also socially awkward and lonely. So when Garrett first starts to show interest, Fitz jumps at it. Things don't go so well, an he calls his former step-brother Ari for help. Oh and somewhere along the way, 2 ghost, Julien and Serge, a funny, sweet, charming gay couple from y
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-male-male
4.5 Stars

I enjoyed this story more than I ever though I would. It is very unique and completely sweet. Fitz is 19 years old and practically alone for the first time. His mother is in France with her new husband and he is attending an arts university while she is away. He is basically a musical genius and has been playing his whole life. Though he is an expert at the piano, he greatly lacks social skills. He doesn't have friends and for the first time he feels lonely. He jumps at the
Asynia
Fitz is a 19-year-old boy who’s been overprotected all his life and now he’s “alone” for the first time. I put quotations marks around the word alone because Fitz isn’t that alone at all, he has his former step brother Ari who looks out for him as well as a couple of friendly ghosts, Julian and Serge.

This book could have been a better reading experience for me if it hadn’t been for Fitz being so childish - in the inexperienced and stupid way. It was sometimes hard to believe that he
Deeze
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet little romance story.

I loved Fitz to pieces but that didn't stop me from wanting to shake him at times. I'm afraid he did border on whinny and childish at times. Mostly when Ari was saving the day.

Ari is one of those perfect characters. There was nothing I didn't love about him. Smart, sexy, fun and drop dead gorgeous but with a vulnerable side when it came to Fitz.

Garrett is the typical slime ball we can all see, except for poor Fitz, who just keeps trying to se
Nina
this was a really fun and enjoyable read, but i had some major issues:
- we see way too much of garrett!
- sometimes fitz was really tstl
- ari is too forgiving and accepting
- the thugs? unbelievable. funny, but really not realistic. (though i loved julian and serge creating chaos :D)
plus, i would have liked to see more of julian and serge when they were alive - maybe with a few flashbacks to see things more at length and from their pov. it would have been interesting.
Snowtulip
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Snowtulip by: Kinga
Shelves: m-m, muscian
3.5

Serge and Julian, secondary characters in this story, were such a delight to read about...their love, their verve, sweet mannerisms, and the heartbreaking way their lives ended. I never felt this good about ghosts before :) Wanted more of them.

The main story didn't keep me as enraptured, which I primarily blame on Garret (ick!).

Could a girl hope that ZAM would write a story about Serge and Julian someday?

Rowan McBride
Ahhh... I love romances with musicians, and this one was sweet and funny and a little bit tragic with a bit of suspense thrown in for good measure. I don't usually like books with ghosts, but this one rocked it. Plenty of good feels at the end.
Chris
3.5 stars. Good paranormal m/m romance about a 19-year old pianist who's brilliant musically, but very naive interpersonally. Then some well-meaning ghosts move in and start "helping" him with his social life...
JD
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked all of this stories characters.
Each one deserves their own book, unfortunately they were tossed together and never fully developed.
There was an implied love but I had trouble believing it in the end.
Also, where was the HEA? It was more of a happy for now.
Jess Candela
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, read-in-2011
I almost wanted more of Serge and Julian than Fitz and Ari. I'd love to see more of both couples, but especially Fitz and Ari need more to go from HFN to HEA.
Pia Veleno
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Yeah, just that. Wow.

Serge and Julian were friends to be cherished, and the tug and pull between Ari and Garret was played perfectly.

Highly recommended.
Aerielle
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love how the chapter titles give a little foreshadowing but are also quite humorous. Fitz starts off as a gullible, naïve, absent minded piano prodigy. He’s used to being in the background but then something miraculous happens…he’s approached by a guy, and not any guy, an extremely attractive guy. Throughout the story we have to wonder at Garrett’s motives and while its never really said outright what his plans are they become pretty obvious to everyone except Fitz. After a disastrous date, Fi ...more
J
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 I rounded up to 3 (I liked) stars. I think this book had too many different storylines going on that didn't meld into a single coherent interesting, readable book. We had a 19-year old, socially awkward, piano prodigy alone in a huge mansion while his mother tours the world looking for husband number 5 or 6, can't remember how many there were. We have his "stepbrother" related by marriage only, a former boy band member, who has adored his younger stepbrother for years. Then we have two ghost ...more
Jodi
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just read release that has delightful new cover. This story started out a bit slow but progressed along nicely. Fitz is a music genius on the piano but is lonely, pushed, pulled even when surrounded by others. Her mother Adelaide is mostly absent and not really a parent. Garrett is a user who seduces Fitz with friendships, sort of dates and handjobs. Ari is the step brother who has always been there for recitals and sent postcards and gifts while traveling. Julien and Serge were delightful gho ...more
Daniela Green

Sorry, but I couldn't overcome the "brother thing"
I knew you since you were a child... you were like a brother to me... ok, let's fuck.
No, sorry.
This book was a missed opportunity, because the ghosts' story was much more intersting than the one between the two MCs, but it was barely mentioned.
Moreover, the two stories don't merge at all. Everything felt too forced.
The structure of the book for me was a Big Nono.
P.S. The two MCs in my head were Timotée Chalamet and
CB
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Finished another Audiobook and this was an excellent one! Great narration for a fun, entertaining and sexy story. One thing to point out - Fitz is 19 and in a Music Conservatory, not High School, which can be confusing in the descriptions, so he is an adult which means you can expect some (not a lot but a few) good, hot, sex scenes from Z.A.

Overall, a very unique story (as you can tell by the blurb) and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I imagine it would have been just
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
I wasn't sold from the blurb. I've read several stories with ghosts, that were fantastic...but more often than not, they fizzle for me. I liked the ghosts in this one. They were a cute addition, that added sweetness. I was left wondering if Julian and Serge hung around after then end, of if they were drawn to someone new, who might need them.

Fitz was...young, and it showed. I got frustrated with him at times. I wanted to scream at Fitz when ever Garrett came around....especially at t
JR 'Thalia' Maxwell
I usually don't say this sort of thing, but this book would legitimately make a brilliant film. It was so visually rich, without being overly descriptive - I never had trouble feeling the sense of place. And oh my what a place it was.

I actually had to re-start the audiobook because it was cleverer than I was prepared for (which is totally on me!) so I'd missed some bits. And I am tempted to listen to the whole thing again, to be honest, because there is a lot of nuance.

Th
Julesmarie
The humans in this one were frustrating. But the ghosts were exceptional and totally stole the story.

Some Favorite Quotes:
"Although revenge can be amusing."

"Is there a treasure map to find? An unsolved murder? Is there a message you need me to give someone? Have I not kept Christmas in my heart as well as any man and better?" Fitz's voice rose. "What do you want from me?"
After a ringing silence, Julian turned to Serge. "And you call
me a drama queen."
Elayne
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it

My first for a while by this author, I really enjoyed it. It’s a slow burn while Fitz works his way through gaining his sense of self. Ari is charismatic, mature, intelligent and always Fitz’s. Garrett plays Fitz and... well Karma! We stroll along nicely with Julian, Serge, Ari and Fitz with interference from Garrett right up to the last few chapters. Them Bam all hell breaks loose. An exciting end indeed.
Good writing, good editing, interesting story line. Recommended read.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dance With Me (Dancing, #1)
  • One-Eyed Royals (Seven of Spades, #4)
  • Unwrapping Hank (Unwrapping Hank, #1)
  • Cash Plays (Seven of Spades, #3)
  • Tallowwood
  • Trick Roller (Seven of Spades, #2)
  • Coast to Coast (Arizona Raptors #1)
  • Once Upon A Haunted Moor (Tyack & Frayne #1)
  • The Distance (Firsts and Forever, #11)
  • Teach Me (Lightning Tales #1)
  • All I Believe (Firsts and Forever, #10)
  • The Hitman's Guide to Staying Alive Despite Past Mistakes (The Hitman's Guide #2)
  • Future Fake Husband
  • Rocket Science
  • Viper (Fallen Angel #2)
  • Any Given Lifetime
  • Snow Falling (Haven Hart Universe, #1)
  • Peace, Blood, and Understanding (Half-Moon Hollow #7)