Start by marking “Star Shroud (Ascension, #1)” as Want to Read:
Star Shroud (Ascension, #1)

Star Shroud

(Ascension #1)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  1,119 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
They’ve been watching us. Now they need our help.
A hacker makes one of the biggest discoveries that will forever change the world.
A NASA pilot whose secret abilities may be the key to humanity’s survival.

Kept secret for 60 years, the discovery of an alien signal forces an unlikely team to investigate a mysterious structure discovered in the furthest reaches of the sola
Published February 25th 2016 by Acoustical Books LLC

To ask other readers questions about Star Shroud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Shroud

Kim
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
There are several sins or bad habits that writers can fall into, especially science fiction writers. This book by Ken Lozito is guilty of at least two.

The first, that's common to both science fiction and thriller writers, is the information dump. There are two ways that sci-fi writers use this. Usually the reader sees it in the science info dump. This is where a writer will take anywhere from a paragraph to several pages to stop everything to describe the science behind contraptions used in the
Don Viecelli
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Book Review Number 168:

This review is on Star Shroud (Ascension Series Book 1) by Ken Lozito. This is the first book I have read by this Sci-Fi author. It is a Sci-Fi Space Opera, first alien contact, suspense story.

The story begins at Fort Meade, Maryland in 1986. Bruce Matherson is working late when an incident occurs at the US Army base. Bruce works for Dux Corp contracted to provide intelligence gathering services using a top secret program that involves “psychic warriors”; special indivi
Trish R.
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it

Ok, this was kinda interesting. It was about Zack, a computer hacker, who hacked into some 60 year old files about physics who were in a group who were trying to reach aliens. And he had barely sent the papers and tapes and pictures off to all the newspaper before the men in black were on him, not even a block away from his apartment.

I liked all the players: Hicks, Katie, Kaylan, and Hunsicker but I didn’t like Redford from the git-go. I guess you always have to have an asshole in most books.

It
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exciting

A great spin on the end, but it's definitely not a stand alone read. You'll want the next book and the next several books. Dialog to descriptive ratio was spot on. Grammar and spelling is spot on. It's an exciting read, but a bit slow in the beginning. 4 stars for great sci-fi that's written correctly. I look forward to reading book two. Stick around, it has a few unexpected twists and turns. (Written on Kindle)
Read Ng
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This was an electronic review copy provided for review purposes.

Very quickly paced. A fast and interesting read. At times, I thought it was a little too quickly paced and (at least I) would have enjoyed a bit more detailed narrative regarding the technology. I am not sure I buy into the romance portions of the relationships, but it is difficult to weave in romance and not bog down the storyline. Especially in a fast paced storyline. That may be why I am not too keen and attempts to mix the two t
Jay Batson
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fine premise, adventure, & read

It is difficult these days to find a new idea for space fiction. This is a good one, and I can see myself reading future books in the series.

In good best-selling fashion, it has a combination of good adventure, lots of tension from protagonist against antagonists, and a little romance thrown in for entertainment.

My only beefs are that I t makes the standard assumptions that laws of physics are bendable in order to facilitate space travel, but authors pretty m
Jaime
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing

This book is a very intriguing plot. It pulls you into the story with conspiracy and then it shows you the truth behind it. I loved it.
Scott Pfister
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A well-paced beginning to an intriguing tale

I was prepared to slot this series away as yet another “first contact” story that was probably too long. The opening that discussed a history of what was effectively ESP made it seem all the less likely there would be serious and interesting concepts presented. Then it turned a corner...

Not one to write reviews or spoil stories (unintentionally or otherwise), I won’t reveal much more. Suffice it to say that the potential “ESP” was handled and explained
DWR
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I just don't care

This book is simplistic Sci-Fi fare. It's a lightweight space opera, a rudimentary space-adventure, a laughably transparent mystery and a junior-high-level romance. There is a galactic-political struggle, but the players and their roles are ambiguous. There is an adventure, but the objective of the quest is unknown and the fellowship is tenuous at best. There is an alien mystery, but it isn't very mysterious, and is solved way before the end of the book. There is a romance, but
Denise
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-2017
Hacker Zack Quick stumbles upon a secret that has been kept from the world for 60 years: Humanity is not alone in the universe. After he releases the information to the public and pictures of an alien structure on Pluto go viral, the world's first deep space vessel Athena, originally slated to head to Titan for exloration, is given a different mission: Travel all the way to Pluto and learn as much as possible about the strange structure. Piloting the ship is Kaylan Farrow, granddaughter of the m ...more
Chris Spencer
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall I found the book enjoyable enough. The premise is interesting and I rather liked the whole conspiracy aspect. However, I feel I should put a sort of "buyer beware" here. I don't believe the plot summary/teaser on the store page accurately describes what the book actually is. I was expecting something a bit more "advanced" from a technological and timeline perspective. The summary does not lead one to believe this is a rather low-tech near-future setting. This is not a "bad thing" in term ...more
Eric L. Gibson
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ascension-series
Cool, my review may contain some spoilers but that's the only way i can make a review! Earth receives a message in 1986 from aliens, a message to warn Earth of the Xiiginns; evil aliens! 60 years later the message is released to more people because a computer hacker finds it and reveals it. Later on this computer hacker goes on to play one of the main characters to search for more answers from this warning message, leading him and a team through the solar system to Pluto where there is a station ...more
Michael
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty good science fiction tale - the author does a good job of getting you into the head of his characters, as well as making me feel as if I was right in the middle of the action as a participant vs. a reader. I picked the Kindle version up for free during a Kindle promotion vs. the normal price of $3.99 – I received more than $3.99 of entertainment value out of this one and am off to grab the next book in the series. If you enjoy science fiction, I would recommend this one.
Eric Pickup
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-log
Quite good

I enjoyed the characters and the premise behind the story. It was an enjoyable read. I’ll continue the series. The only reason I didn’t give five stars would be a bit of a spoiler to any that haven’t read so sadly, that will stay with me. It’s really only a half mark down but I can’t do a half mark.
Kate Rhoad
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
A good plot which kept me through to the end, though I hate cliff hangers. It was unfortunate for this story because the characters were a bit week. I don't care enough about any of them to want to go on to the next book regardless of how exciting the plot and ending was. His next book 'First Colony Genesis' was better, having the main character better developed.
Michael P Gallitelli
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you like space exploration and discovery themes, with a likable main characters and suspenseful and well paced plot, then this is worth the read. I finished this book and immediately purchased the 2nd one in the series. The only thing that stopped from giving 5 stars were the romantic subplots which I feel are bit forced, but thankfully they don't detract much from the story.
Kathryn Joy
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure-sci-fi
One of the best sci-fi books I have read. The author pays close attention to detail - his writing is smooth, the story flows crisply from beginning to end - an indication of his careful oversight is his thank-you to the proofreader, Tamara Blain.
Wickidwon
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Three and a half.

I give it three and a half. I liked the story and characters and would have liked to given it four stars but the science aspect of the story was lacking. Sound in the vacuum of space??
Sam L
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A good story with terrible dialogue.. actually it's not the dialogue, it's the authors use of "character" said. I'm sure there's a name foe that but I am having a brain fart and can't think of it...
I'm gonna try the second book and hope his writing improves.
J.
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good story

I am a fan of the author and am coming to realize that I will like anything he writes. This is a rich story with an exciting end. I am grabbing book 2 now.
Mr Lawrence D Ming
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A start

I read this book for the second time. However it was as enjoyable the second time as it was the first time. Now to see if I have already read the next book, lol.
Dennis
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read one other series by this author and enjoyed it. This series looks to be just as interesting with a good story - plenty of twists and turns to keep the pages turning. Now, on to book #2.
Jahve
Jul 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Didn't finish. Couldn't get past the cringeworthy dialogue.
Megan
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Addicted!!

I can’t wait to read the next book in this series. Alien contact, secret research, space travel and espionage!! Loved it!
Volpot
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
2 stars. I finished only because I was on a trip and had no access to buy another book. Entire story and writing were juvenile
Crystal
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great scifi

Great story line with good characters and a great storyline. I cant wait to dive into the next book! Adventure scifi exploration aliens
Bruce nightingale
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good tail

I really enjoyed reading this book and I am looking forward to start reading the next series. Easy reading, not complicated.
S
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Good character build, good story. Now onto book two.
KL Miller
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction

Good character development. A fair treatment to the science parts as well. Looking forward to continuing the storyline and seeing how the Earth fares.
Ruggrats
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoy able

First time reading kens books. I found it interesting and fun to read. Similarities to other similar subject author's. But with some different takes on genre.
  • TFS Theseus (The Terran Fleet Command Saga, #2)
  • Second Chances
  • Drysine Legacy (The Spiral Wars, #2)
  • Worth (Gray Zone, #2)
  • Skin (The Ark Trilogy, #1)
  • Pandora Project: Runaway Star
  • Zenith (The Interscission Project, #1)
  • Adverse Effects (Saving Caeorleia, #2)
  • Riot Boy (Superpowered Love, #2)
  • Star Runners: Revelation Protocol (Star Runners #2)
  • Edge of Reality (Phantom Server, #1)
  • Kidnapped (The Infinitum Government, #1)
  • Super Powereds: Year 2 (Super Powereds, #2)
  • The Fall (The God Slayers Quartet #1)
  • The Lost Destroyer (Lost Starship, #3)
  • The Rebirths of Tao (Tao, #3)
  • Basilisk (The Korsak Brothers #2)
  • Burn (Elementally Evolved, #1)
Ken Lozito is the author of multiple series in fantasy and science fiction. Ken has always loved fantasy and science fiction in all forms, including books, movies (Even the cheesy 80s B movies), and games.

Ken graduated from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro with a degree in English and Anthropology. Being a computer hobbyist led to him working in the field of IT Security for almost 2

Ascension (6 books)
  • Star Divide (Ascension, #2)
  • Star Alliance (Ascension, #3)
  • Infinity's Edge (Ascension, #4)
  • Rising Force (Ascension, #5)
  • Ascension (Ascension #6)
“He would challenge anyone to find a more apt description for a "suit" than a weasel. Even the most idiotic of them could make shit stick to an explanation that was an outright lie and magically convince people to believe them.” 0 likes
“She was within a pyramid, but it was outlined in a dark green glow.” 0 likes