Start by marking “Clean Break” as Want to Read:
Clean Break

Clean Break

Lane Haviland can’t seem to catch a break. She’s dead broke, barely functioning as an adult, and completely alone in New York City. Her so-called “apartment” is a six-by-nine cell in a Brooklyn basement. And her new boss hasn’t ever met a personal or professional boundary she can’t bulldoze through.

Still, Lane’s determined to at least attempt to claw her way back to respe
Published May 16th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Clean Break, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clean Break

Start your review of Clean Break
FMABookReviews
Have you ever been glad you took a chance on something? You know what I mean. When you thought, okay, I'm going with my gut and trust my instincts. Well, about 6 weeks ago I received a message about a new book called 'Clean Break', from a new author, Abby Vegas. She enclosed a short excerpt with her review request. It didn't take me long to email her back that I was intrigued. (I think those were my exact words even.)

Once I started reading this book, I was completely taken by surprise that this
Laura.125Pages
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review, and many more, was originally posted on 125pages.com

viggoclipgif Clean Break by Abby Vegas was a read I did not expect. I was thinking it would be a straightforward girl meets bad boy story, but instead it was a nuanced tale of a young woman struggling through heartbreak and depression who meets a man that is much more than he seems. Lane is struggling through life, almost destitute, her every day life is a never ending cycle of hunger and exhaustion. After getting scammed, she moves into
Jane Stewart
It kept my interest, but I have some complaints.

There is a happy ending, but it was too fast. I wanted more showing the couple together at the end. What was their life going to be like?

There was a bad guy threatening and hurting Lane and Viktor. The author did not say what happened with that. It was left hanging - unfinished.

II wanted to know more about what happened to Lane before the story begins. She had been grieving and suicidal. She foolishly spent all her money. Now she has no money for f
Aly
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
This book surprised me. The beginning was slow and some of the scenes with Cynthia felt repetitive, but in the second half things really picked up and there was a twist I wasn't totally expecting. The overall plot is okay, it could have used more action throughout and more romantic scenes, but I like how it turned out. I also enjoyed seeing Lane and the kids form a bond and they all got some much needed love. Viktor's story took some turns and I liked seeing that play out. Overall a good read!
Kathryn
From the moment I started reading Clean Break, I found myself easily entering the story and wanting to stay with it. The opening interested me as I wanted to find out why the main protagonist was needing a clean break and why she seemed to be really down and out in her luck. A little naive, a sense of 'don't care' and susceptible to being scammed. What was causing it? How was she going to develop as a character - would she grow a spine? Too much of one as it turned out!

Clean Break is told in fir
Kim
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was intrigued when the author approached me with the opportunity to review her debut novel, and Clean Break was a great read! It is a story of finding family in the people who matter to you regardless of their blood relation and where the lines between good guy and bad guy are blurred.

The story starts out with a pretty bleak feel and tone. Lane is down on her luck with no money, no food and facing the cold reality that she is now homeless too since the person who took her security deposit on a
Angela Smith
Once I started to read this I had a hard time putting it down. I liked the style of writing, witty as well as sharp. The story is not overpowered by sex as other books I have read in this genre. It relies more on the chemistry between the male and female protagonists which is a refreshing change. Other things I liked was that "Lane" and "Viktor" were not these shining beacons of emotional and physical perfection (although Viktor sounds pretty sexy ;) ) and in being so it made them more believabl ...more
Jill Frederickson
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mm. This book was delicious. I slowed myself down part way through to properly enjoy it. It was an engaging protagonist who is emerging from a tough time with lots of complications that add interest. I enjoyed the details and pacing very much.
Jillian Quinn
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First, I want to mention that I received a copy of Clean Break from Abby Vegas in exchange for an honest review. I found Abby on Twitter through the indie authors hashtag, and when she sent me a link to her website and I read the synopsis of the book, I had to read it. I have a lot of author obligations so I was hesitant to take on another review, but I’m glad that I did. I instantly connected with this story. But here’s the thing… This book is nothing like what I’d expected, not even close. I w ...more
Sue
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is great -- it kept me up way past my normal bedtime last night because I was so involved in the main character, I wanted to keep reading to see if there was a happy ending for her. (If you want to know the answer to that question, you need to read this book!).

At the beginning of the book, Lane come across as a spoiled young person who doesn't know how to live life and stay out of debt. She's hit rock bottom - no money for an apartment and only a part time job. However, as we learn mor
Heather
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because I saw a mention somewhere it had a Beauty and the Beast theme with a Russian hero. While the H does have a scar, it's really not a big part of the story. But I really enjoyed this book. It's definitely a romance but not romance heavy if that makes sense, and while both main characters have some heavy baggage it never overwhelms the tone of the story. It ended up be a good find I probably wouldn't have stumbled upon otherwise.
Arlena Dean

Rating: Five
Review:

"Clean Break" by Abby Vegas

My Thoughts....

This was definitely one of those contemporary romance with suspense and mystery that will keep you engaged turning the pages till the end because you will want to know what happens next. This protagonist, Lane Haviland was really quite a interesting person as she is able to make it work in almost any adventurous situation
Charlotte (abOOkishOwl)
Clean Break talks about a young woman fighting her way back into life. To be honest, the first few pages was hard to get into because it all sounded too cliché for me. But after spending nights with Lane Haviland and her adventures I realized that I’m already hooked. I guess it’s the authenticity of the characters that got me engaged with the whole story. What I’m trying to say is that the author managed to give the truthfulness of how things actually happen in real life and how a person would n ...more
Melissa
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story. Devoured it. I normally write more formal reviews, but I literally finished this book 2 seconds ago. Viktor and Lane, these two lost souls just captured my attention from the beginning. This is not a sunshine filled story. It's bleak, but entertaining and smart. The two main characters, including a floundering wealthy family, the Waldrop's, all need a little TLC and guidance. Clean Break is one of those great stories that keeps you turning page after page, it's witty, gritty, s ...more
Andrea
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this but I quickly found I could not put it down. Very well written. The author really captured the feeling when you don't want to fall for someone but you can't help it.
Maggie
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun, quick read. It is a perfect page turner for the beach. The ending was a bit implausible, but still satisfying.
Sienna Cash
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous sense of place. Original story that keeps you guessing. Not the same-old, same-old. Great debut from Abby Vegas.
Ellen
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku, 2019-r-c-goal
Enjoy

I really enjoyed the story of Viktor and Lane. There is a surprise twist that I was not expecting at all. The story is in first person and it still kept me entertained.
Vanessa Haley
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Clean Break" is the debut novel by Abby Vegas that crosses many genres including women's fiction/romance/and young adult. With a story line that is full of twists and turns, and very unexpected changes, the book is a definite page turner, this book stands out as a 5-star must read!

There are many reasons for "Clean Break" being an exceptional read including:
*The portrayal of the lead character Lane Haviland as someone who can overcome many challenges and become stronger as a result, makes her ea
Fiona
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book as a change from my usual genre and was expecting a chick lit type novel. This is so much more than that. It’s funny, sad and heart warming and I thoroughly enjoyed it. You have to suspend belief at times but the writing is so strong that it’s hard to believe this is a debut novel.
I’m glad I took a gamble on this and look forward to more from this author.
My thanks to Netgalley for this copy.
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Once in a while you run across a book and you just really connect to it. You feel like it was written just for you. Like the author knew exactly the kind of book you loved and hit it spot-on. This was one of those books for me. This was like a Chick-lit/Romance/Suspense all my favorites wrapped up in one book!

The descriptions were amazing. I loved the way she described the tiny apartment - I really felt like I was there - I could picture everything. My daughter's first apt. was like that. Where
Jessie
For more of my reviews, visit my blog: https://boundtobeme.org

Clean Break is a modern twist to 'Beauty and the Beast'. If you only look at the book on its surface level, you miss the meaning and the point. Without giving away too much, this book plays on outside appearances, trust, and falling in love.

Lane is down on her luck with realistic qualities. Often she is a mess with suicidal tendencies. But I can't help to love her character. There is something about her that pulls at my heart and I ju
Caroline
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A humour filled, nail biting, romantic rollercoaster

This book kept me on tenterhooks for the whole time I was reading - which was about 2 hours as I couldn’t put it down! The characters were well rounded, well used and very human. Lane is a great lead character who the reader can latch onto quickly. Viktor is..well Viktor is hot.

All in all it’s a well paced, well structured story with a little mystery woven in between. I’ll be thinking about Clean Break for a long time - I just loved it!
Dia

Get a chance to win an eBook copy of Clean Break by Abby Vegas

GIVEAWAY ENDING ON JUNE 25,2016

CLICK TO ENTER HERE

Synopsis:

Still, Lane’s determined to at least attempt to claw her way back to respect
Anniek
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lane used to have it all, a great apartment, enough money and a good life. Now she's completely broke and on her own in New York City. Lane thinks that she has found a new place to live, but it turns out that it's a scam. This makes her lose the money she already paid. When Lane is at the police station to file a report the police officer helps her out with finding another place to live. She ends up in a basement which barely qualifies as an apartment.

Viktor is the handyman of the building. He
evergreencrime
[image error]

It was perfectly paced, the plot was perfectly executed and it was extremely enjoyable to read. Not an extra line was wasted narrating what needed to be said. Every paragraph down to every line and period were meaningfully and perfectly placed. Supporting characters were enjoyable to read about, and not a source of typical regurgitation of a scene or information. They mattered. I felt for them.

Lane was such a likeable and realistic heroine. She alone made the whole book easy to imme
Zara Lethallan
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it

"Don't judge a book by its cover."

As I have said before, this saying is very popular and can have multiple meanings. In this case, I have three in reference to this book:

1. I did not accept this book to read because of its cover. I actually accepted it because of the blurb. I found it interesting.

2. The Main Character in this book also works hard not to judge other people. She doesn't achieve this goal when she lets other people get in her head.

3. This book can show even the cops can be a bad
Jasmyn
I was really excited about this book because I got myself into a little mini-reading-spree for mobsters and Russians. This was not a disappointment, but it did have some surprises that I wasn't expecting.

A nice mix contemporary romance, with just enough suspense to give you a rush. I didn't quite understand Lane and her outlook on life at the beginning. But her story unfolds throughout the pages and she becomes quite a real person.

Viktor is a bit larger than life - without saying a word. He's th
Rosa Barrero
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. In the beginning I was not big fan of the heroine, but page by page, by learning her story I understood and liked her. She is a character that grows, always at a very realistic level. She is the center of the book, and all the sub stories that depart from her are well crafted. I specially enjoyed the work with the spoiled Cynthia and her kids. I know some personal assistants, and the book seems to reflect theirs experiences very well.
A favorite of the ladies
Despina
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for an honest review

I give this book 3 1/2 stars

So Clean Break, was a really enjoyable read, I liked the fact that the story was different and not one of the same themes are being flogged continually. Lane, has had something terrible happen in her life and she basically lost it, this story is about Lane getting her life back together...or at least starting to. Overall this was a pretty well written story, but I felt there were a few gaps that could h

• Una Historia de Ayer
  • El corazón helado
  • The V Girl: A Coming Of Age Story
  • Pecado, penitencia y expiación
  • Empath: A Complete Guide for Developing Your Gift and Finding Your Sense of Self
  • Pedro Páramo
  • In the Unlikely Event
  • Beautifully Cruel (Beautifully Cruel, #1)
  • My Possessive Bodyguard
  • Hills Like White Elephants
  • The Guy on the Left (The Underdogs, #2)
  • Rescued by the Ranger (Camp Hardwood, #2)
  • The Body Keeper (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries #3)
  • Treat (Terraway #5)
  • The Best Man
  • Duke in Darkness (Wickedly Wed, #1)
  • Prince Charming Opens Doors, the Buffoon Opens Legs: The Seduction Manual that Women Don't Want You to Read
  • Y si te amo, ¿Qué? (Romántica)