Start by marking “The Olive Tree” as Want to Read:
The Olive Tree

The Olive Tree

It is said that anyone who comes to stay at 'Pandora' for the first time will fall in love . . .

It has been twenty-four years since a young Helena spent a magical holiday in Cyprus, where she fell in love for the first time. When the now crumbling house, 'Pandora', is left to her by her godfather, she returns to spend the summer there with her family.

Yet Helena knows

Published July 14th 2016 by Pan

Start your review of The Olive Tree
Zoe
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lighthearted, mesmerizing, and genuinely heartfelt!

The Olive Tree is an engrossing tale that reminds us that life is often a messy journey complete with smiles, tears, happiness, and heartbreak.

Itis set on the idyllic island of Cyprus and takes us into the lives of two main families who on the surface seem to have it all, great relationships, beautiful houses, and good kids, but over the course of one hot summer marriages will be tested, secrets will be revealed, love will be found, love will be
Emma Crowley
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucinda Riley is my absolute favourite author alongside Lesley Pearse. I have loved everything she has written since her first book Hothouse Flower and each subsequent book has been brilliant and has showcased the incredible writing talents that Lucinda has. I've never reviewed a book by Lucinda before I don't know why but given the opportunity to do so I jumped at the chance with this new book The Olive Tree. Lucinda is in the middle of writing her Seven Sisters series so for a second book ...more
Clara Rosell
Jul 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bailing on page 462 of 575 in my edition.

I’m a big big big fan of Riley’s The Seven Sisters series, so I’m extremely disappointed that this is my first experience with one of her standalones. I've read mixed reviews and some note that this might be one of Riley's weakest, so I do very hope that's the case.

I really could’ve done without another book full of toxic masculinity and stereotypical characters. Apart from the fact that this story is predictable on every level and shouldn’t be almost
Moony MeowPoff
Feb 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1/5 stars

I don't know how to review this, some places it catches me and some places it just felt like...a long text of blah. I did not feel as much as i did in those other Lucinda Riley books i have read and i got the vibe that i had read this before somewhere. Somethings in the books was alike a book I've read before, and it annoyed me to the bone. It took time to finish this and well, i'm glad i finished it but i hopes it was more to the story than...well, what it showed me. Sadly it was not
Mareli Thalwitzer
3.5 Stars. One reader described this book as fluff, but decent fluff. LOL!! That is exactly what The Olive Tree was.

I have a couple of friends who absolutely love Lucinda Riley. I have never tried any of her books and at our last Book Club, they convinced me to take one. I picked this one. Finished it in 3 days (yes I do work and have a life, it just reads sooooo easy)

Nothing memorable here, it was just another fluffy story. But the characters were well developed, especially Alex and I do love
Monica
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-day
An excellent contemporary fiction novel set in Cyprus. The setting was amazing and I felt like I could feel the heat and see the amazing views. What was interesting was the book was told from two different view points. One was from Helena, the ex ballet dancer who has brought her family to her childhood vacation home in Cyprus that she has just inherited from her god father. The other point of view is her son Alex who desperately wants to know who is biological dad is even though he has a step ...more
Helena Wildsmith
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a proper family saga and I really enjoyed it, even though the plot took a few tangents that are arguably pointless. The story kept me guessing and there were times, especially at the end, when I struggled to put it down. A few of the characters seemed a bit too good to be true but overall I enjoyed it and will look for more books by this author.
Linda K. Melzer
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, brilliant novel.

A very satisfying read. Beautifully written with wonderful fully fleshed out characters. There are several storylines: love, sadness, deceit, suspense. All characters were woven into very satisfying conclusions. No loose ends, although I would have loved for the story to have gone on and on. I highly recommend this novel!
Nonabgo
Sep 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't understand how this book has this rating on Goodreads. I mean... it's a soap opera. One more generation and we would have talked "The Young and the Restless". I'm not one to leave books aside once I've started them - call it Aries persistency - but this was one of the few books that made me cringe every step of the way. My definition for this genre is "frustrated housewife who never gets any".

I don't even know where to start. Was there anything I liked? I'm really struggling to find
Kirsty
Over long for what it was
Julia
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Olive Tree by Lucinda Riley is a powerful novel about family, friendship and love. Once again Lucinda Riley has created an eclectic mix of characters that weave their way into the reader’s heart.
The action is mainly set in 2006 but also fast forwards ten years at the beginning and the end. The reader becomes intimately acquainted with thirteen year old Alex as some of the tale is in the form of his diary. We get glimpses into the mind of a quiet studious child on the cusp of adulthood. He
Karissa
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is now my favorite book by Lucinda Riley. Prior to reading The Olive Tree, my favorite Lucinda Riley book was The Seven Sisters. But Riley's new contemporary novel quickly stole the place of favorite.

The Olive Tree follows the family of Helena as they go on a summer vacation in Cyprus. Lucinda Riley creates intriguing character dynamics in The Olive Tree and focuses on character development rather than a sweeping story spanning the decades.

This book is a perfect summer read. Since the book
Elisabeth
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helena has inherited an old house in Cyprus called Pandora, from her Godfather who has recently passed away. With this recent inheritance, Helena decides that after 24 years it is time that she returned to the place where she first fell in love and realised how painful falling in love can be.
Now a mother to Alex and wife to William the house in Cyprus promises to live up to its name. As Helena opens up Pandora, restoring it to its former glory – a Pandora’s box threatens to open and spill the
Anna
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decade of secrets and lies set in the scorching Cypriot sunshine.

One of the narrators is 13 year old Alex and I thought he'd be a major stumbling block; how can the thoughts of a precocious teenage boy have any relevance to a typical dual-timeline story? But I was wrong, he made this book, I adored him!
Maggie Williamson
Sep 22, 2016 rated it liked it
The story itself is good. I listened to this book on Audible, narrated by Lucinda Riley herself. It came across as a whine-fest. I found it annoying enough to consider returning the book to Audible for credit. I have enjoyed several of Lucinda Riley's books. This one was not a favorite.
Adrienne
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every bit as enjoyable, as all Lucinda Riley's novels are. It misses getting 5 stars because of the few "eye rolling " moments that were thrown in, unnecessarily. I won't elaborate to avoid spoilers but it did detract from this good story.
Alert: keep tissues handy when reading.
ms cs candy
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
enjoyed this book, nice easy read, made me want to go on holiday in the sun!
Vickie Richens
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, will definitely look out for some more of her books
Mary
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic book. My first by this author so many twists and I guessed none of them
Loved all the characters felt they were all relevant to the story. Cant wait to read more by this author fantastic
Irina
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe that some things should remain secrets and not be confessed. It is for the better in order to protect the others. In this sense, Helena was right as she kept her secrets. And yet, forgiveness should be there and understanding when one unlocks “Pandora’s box”. The novel reminds a bit of Virginia Woolf’s “To the Lighthouse” in the sense that Helena is like Mrs Ramsay, keeping the whole house together until her secrets go out and the peace is troubled. The atmosphere in Greece is magic, a ...more
Debby
I am a fan of Lucinda Riley, for sure, given that I've read five of her books os far. So far, my favorite book is "The Seven Sisters #1" (I've read #2 as well).
I listened to the audio version, and Lucinda Riley is also the narrator for most of the parts-- except for Alex. I thought Lucinda did a decent job as narrator, but her male voices weren't my favorite (sorry). Alex's voice was brilliant narrated and it endeared me, even more, to his character.
Helena actually irritated me for a long time.
Susan Aldridge
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an ideal holiday read (lucky for me, as was on holiday in Cornwall last week). The Olive Tree of the title is located in a villa in Cyprus called Pandora, which Helena - former ballerina and mother of a teenage son Alex - has inherited from her godfather. The novel should, perhaps, have been entitled Pandora for, as the story unfolds, secrets from the past emerge and trouble brews...The story is told in three voices - Alex's teenage diary, Alex now (ten years later, looking back) and ...more
Marguerite Gray
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far I have loved all of Lucinda Riley's novels. This is a contemporary one set in Cyprus where one summer Helena's secrets disrupt everyone's lives. Her thirteen year old son's diary gives a unique perspective too.
Gayle
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A house in Cyprus gifted to Helena from her god father brings the opportunity to have a summer away. With the gift of family friends and old loves, the house called pandora brings all secrets into the open
Ruth Llandeg
Just finished this...another good book by Lucinda Riley with no big historical sadness but a very well written and emotive story nontheless...set in Cyprus this time...all about the complexities of mixed up families!
Beth Milewski
Disappointed.....the 500+ pages the story could have been told in half the number of pages. The story in itself was decent, however, it was just too long from start to finish.
Lucia Dan
Easy Summer book
ChristinaMarc
Enjoyable and light read to while away the hours relaxing.
Vicky Ball
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd give it 10/10 if I could. A properly told story.
Rachel Kotsapas

• Njegove bele rukavice
  • The Lemon Tree Hotel
  • The Temptation of Gracie
  • Het strandhuis
  • El legado de la villa de las telas
  • Sea of Lost Love
  • The Missing Sister
  • Façade
  • Golden Cage
  • Secrets of Santorini
  • El latido de la tierra
  • Das Jahr der Delfine
  • Meisje van me
  • De trip
  • De eilanden
  • The Sapphire Trader's Secret
  • Zuidenwind
AKA: Lucinda Edmonds
Lucinda Riley was born in Ireland, and after an early career as an actress in film, theatre and television, wrote her first book aged twenty-four. Her books have been translated into over thirty five languages and sold twenty million copies worldwide. She is a Sunday Times and New York Times bestseller.

Lucinda is currently writing The Seven Sisters series, which tells the
“That there are all kinds of love, and it arrives in different shapes and forms. It can be earned, but not paid for. It can be given, but never bought. And once it’s truly there, it holds fast. This love thing.” 0 likes
“I wonder now why humans hate the map of their life that appears on their own bodies, when a tree like this, or a faded painting, or a near-derelict uninhabited building is lauded for its antiquity.” 0 likes