Start by marking “Rosemarked (Rosemarked #1)” as Want to Read:
Rosemarked (Rosemarked #1)

Rosemarked

(Rosemarked #1)

A healer who cannot be healed . . .

When Zivah falls prey to the deadly rose plague, she knows it’s only a matter of time before she fully succumbs. Now she’s destined to live her last days in isolation, cut off from her people and unable to practice her art—until a threat to her village creates a need that only she can fill.

A soldier shattered by war . . .

Broken by torture
Published November 7th 2017 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Rosemarked, please sign up.

Livia Blackburne
Mar 05, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-by-me
Edit 2/17/17: The book description is now up on the goodreads page!

I’m soooo excited about this book, guys. And I’ve been having a blast researching it, from archery and stick fighting lessons to conversations about memory loss with my old classmate at MIT. And I can’t wait to share it with you.
☙ percy ❧
(3.5 stars)

This is a novel of that strange genre that has the feel and setting of a high fantasy, but doesn't actually contain any fantastical elements. (I like to call it 'pseudo-high fantasy. Possibly it could also be described as spec fic, but I've always found that definition to be almost uselessly broad.) The plot relied heavily on political machinations rather than containing magic, although it could be argued Zivah's potions have some element of magic.

This is rather an atypical YA. It ha

Book One of the Rosemarked series
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: November 7, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

A healer who cannot be healed . . .

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
DNF @ 63%

I really, really, hate to do this, but I have to put this book down. I've been working on it since November 1st (so, just over a month), and I'm only at 63%, despite many other books having come and gone in the last month. I just can't seem to get attached enough to the story or the characters to finish it.

The book alternates perspectives between Zivah, a young healer, and Dineas, a rebel soldier, both of whom have been cursed with the rose plague. The illness leaves its victims in one
Mel Anie
Rating: 3 stars

Rosemarked is a first book in new duology by Livia Blackburne. It tells a story of 17 years old Dara's healer named Zivah who is a victim of the rose plague, an illness which can't be healed; and a young rebel soldier named Dineas. Both of characters are living in a country occupied by Ampara's soldiers. Several months later their paths cross while they take on a mission of freeing their country from Ampara. We can explore their lives and actions thanks to chapters with alter
Scrill
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
ARC received from Netgalley and Disney-Hyperion for an honest review

"And I can’t help but think how easy it is for a thing of this world to be destroyed, and how quickly something beautiful can disappear."

Rosemarked is told from alternating views and tells the story of a young healer that catches a disease that she cannot cure and a man who has overcome the disease and must go on a mission with the healer to infiltrate the capital city as spies.

The Story-The pacing of this book was slow but st
Beatrice in Bookland
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
"The rosemarked healer and the soldier with no fear of her disease. Together somehow, we are to steal Ampara's secrets."

... and guess what?? They don't steal shit

Is this one of the most frustrating and boring books I've ever read? Hell yeah it is

The first part (40-50 pages) was good, full of action and the two protagonists were promising, especially Zivah.
Well, it all went downhill fast. So so so so so fast.

Basically Zivah and Dineas have to act as spies and steal the empire's secrets and in ord
Anissa (FairyLoot)
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book! I loved Zivah and Dineas and can't wait for book two!
Ishmeen
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I could have literally finished this book in a day but thanks to uni it took me two weeks :)) But moving on, I found the world building in this quite interesting especially with the incorporation of the plague and the biological references! The romance was nice but it didn't quite meet my expectations tbh. The pace was kind of slow as well... all the shit really goes down in the last few chapters and it was exciting but seemed so fast paced compared to the rest of the book like?? Wish the events ...more
Lisa
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, arc
This is a highly political fantasy that focuses on one mission between two would-be enemies. I think all the elements of this story are so well thought out, and the politics clear and intriguing.

I loved that the magic of the book is based in healing and that we have two very strong personalities butting heads throughout the story.

Overall, I think high fantasy fans will really enjoy Rosemarked.
Melissa Souza
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
**Thank you to Disney-Hyperion and NetGalley for sending me an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

3 stars!!!

Finally, I'm done with this book. This was another pretty average read for me. I guess what got to me the most was the pacing. It's a very slow read and nothing much happens. However, the book does have it's plus points which I will go into further detail below.

Firstly, I did like the descriptions and imagery in this novel. They were rather vivid especially in terms of the sym
Dianne
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She had dedicated her life to healing the sick, but when she must heal the enemy who has come into her land with a deadly and incurable plague, Zivah is forced to live an life isolated from her family and her people when she becomes another victim, another of the ROSEMARKED. Her life can end ostracized and alone or it can end on her own terms, healing others who are afflicted like her, but the chance to help others will come at a price and she will be forced to trust an enemy soldier who thirsts ...more
Zivah has dedicated her life to becoming a healer so she can serve her people but when an outbreak of the rose plague affects Amparan soldiers currently visiting her village she ends up getting infected herself while treating her patients. There are only three possible outcomes to the rose plague and the vast majority of people don't survive the first infection. Rare survivors end up Rosemarked which means they're still highly infectious and can continue to spread the disease even though they no ...more
Rebekah
FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!!!!

Dani - Perspective of a Writer
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

A healer who cannot be healed is joined by a soldier shattered by war, together they will take on infiltrating the Empire... When Zivah catches the deadly rose plague her life as a healer is cut off from her, in order to recapture her life and practice her art she will become a daring spy. After being tortured and thrown out with the garbage, Dineas will undertake a mission that will mean abandoning who he has become to change the future.

It took
nick
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

I’ve been craving a sweeping YA fantasy story since the beginning of the year, and sadly before I read Rosemarked, I could not find it. Then came this brilliant book, which completely swept me off my feet and took me on an amazing journey. Engrossing stories like this are why I simply adore reading. By the end of Rosemarked, I was desperate for the sequel – I mean, isn’t that just a sign as to how amazing this book was?

In YA fantasy, I’ve always loved side-characters that are healers. It’s
Kate Willis
Apr 28, 2018 marked it as unfinished
Shelves: cover-love
I hesitate to write reviews of books I have not finished, because you never know if the book really does turn out to be amazing without finishing it. So please be sure to read some positive reviews as well! This is just my personal opinion of the book.

(view spoiler)
Samantha Shannon
The perfect read for fans of An Ember in the Ashes and The Winner's Curse, Rosemarked is one of those rare and special high fantasies where there's no magic, but the author paints such a vivid secondary world that it feels magical.

Blackburne pays careful attention to detail in her worldbuilding – I loved reading about the theories on rose plague, and the differences between the Amparan and Dara approach to the body – and Zivah is a great protagonist. It's refreshing to see a female character w
Biz (Formerly Rachael)
update 6/14/18
have I mentioned that mehtap is my favorite character in this book and probably one of my favorite secondary characters of all time

well let's establish that as a fact

AND NOW I GET TO READ UMBERTOUCHED OMGG

4.5

When I picked up this book, I thought it was going to be another cliche, poorly plotted fantasy novel with an unoriginal and badly written romance.

I was wrong.

So, so wrong.

I wasn't expecting what Rosemarked actually is: a political fantasy novel dealing with the ethics
Jenna (Bookiemoji)
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read an early version and, if I may I say so myself, this story is even more richly imagined than her last! The stakes are higher, the romance is more complicated. You're sure to love it!
Angela
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'll be honest. Most of the time when I get an ARC, I tend to lower my expectations. Most of the ARCs I get are first time authors and the writing and story isn't spectacular.

That was not the case with Rosemarked. I thoroughly enjoyed this story! I thought the setting was original, the characters were intriguing, and the story was so...interesting. I couldn't keep it down because the dynamic between Zivah and Dineas AND Dineas was so gripping.

Really enjoyed this story. I hope that the second o
jessica
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
what an enthralling story! the main characters are likeable, the premise is intriguing, and the pacing is solid. i was thoroughly entertained whilst reading this and am very much looking forward to the next book when it comes out.

4 stars
Marina
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, own
4.5

Rosemarked was definitely a unique and fascinating story. I don't think I'd read a fantasy in which biological weapons were used before.

The book was split into two POVs, Zivah a healer who falls victim to a plague and has very little to lose. And Dineas a rebel who escaped certain death and who will do whatever it takes to bring the enemy down. They compliment each other very well and their relationship develops slowly and thankfully, doesn't take over the story.

It was certainly fascinating
Atlas
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's just the two of us this time; the rosemarked healer and the soldier with no fear of her disease. Together, somehow, we are to steal Ampara's secrets

* * * *
4 / 5

Soft and almost melodic, Rosemarked is a lengthy, slow-burn YA fantasy novel. We follow two lovely characters: Zivah, a gentle healer who loves her people but must be quarantined due to a plague, and Dineas, a young warrior who serves his people, the Shidadi, in resisting the onslaught of the Empire. Rosemarked wasn't the most fast-p
All Things Urban Fantasy
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

In ROSEMARKED, the rose plague affects every part of the novel, from setting to characters. There are frank descriptions of everything, from infections to the remote, and desperate, lives of the infected. There is no magical cure and no kindness for those who are rosemarked. There’s a fantastic balance between exposition and description as each chapter examines Zivah and Dineas. However, the real gem of the novel is that, although there are only two ma
Austine (NovelKnight)
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-releases
I had doubts about Rosemarked. I hadn't heard much going into it and I ended up spending several days trying to push through the first 100 pages or so. A rough beginning led me to finishing the book with a craving for the sequel!

The book bounces back and forth between the perspectives of Zivah, a healer who contracts an deadly disease, and Dineas, a soldier who's been through so much already but still wants to fight for his people and their freedom. Amidst their personal struggles, the world the
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The use of memory loss in this book was really interesting as well as the depiction of someone with a chronic illness. The movement of the story other than the development of the characters was a bit slow, however, and this book was mostly setup for what is probably a trilogy.
Raven_Blake (dreamy addictions)
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars!
Same Review Also Posted In My Blog: Dreamy Addictions

I loved Livia Blackburne’s debut novel Midnight Thief and this is my second book by her. I’ve been sitting on the fence whether to read this book or not but after hearing so many great things about It, I finally decided to give it a shot. After finishing the book, I had hard time rating it because I was torn between 3.5 and 4 stars, but after some thought I gave it a 3.5. This book was really an enjoyable fantasy read
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
3.5 Sars

When I first saw this one, I was very intrigued. I love the idea of a healer teaming up with a soldier to save the world. This story contains potions and spying, and the main character is admirable. Unfortunately, the pacing of the story is too slow for my liking, so the book wasn’t as enjoyable as it could have been.

I always love a good political fantasy novel. Rosemarked tells the story of a world contaminated with a plague, where those who contract it are rejected by society. An exile
Kristin
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Rosemarked will take you on one plague ridden adventure that you won't soon forget. Livia Blackburne knows how to write a beautiful story filled with death and despair that will leave you on the edge of your seat.

Rosemarked... oh how I love your title and your cover. Rosemarked comes from the rose plague which infects the people of Zivah and Dineas' time. When one becomes ill with the rose plague, they develop your typical symptoms of fever and delusions, but they also develop rose colored splot
Uppercase YA Subs...: Rosemarked by Livia Blackburne 3 8 Apr 01, 2018 11:53AM
All the Books!: Rosemarked by Livia Blackburne 15 15 Feb 15, 2018 06:26AM
  • Basara, Vol. 19
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 16 (Kekkaishi, #16)
  • ES: Eternal Sabbath, #2
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Kanan - The Last Padawan #1
  • Whisper of the Tide (Song of the Current, #2)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • A Conspiracy of Stars (Faloiv, #1)
  • Shatter the Suns (Last Star Burning, #2)
  • Princeless #1
New York Times bestselling author Livia Blackburne wrote her first novel while researching the neuroscience of reading at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Since then, she’s switched to full-time writing, which also involves getting into people’s heads but without the help of a 3 Tesla MRI scanner.

She is also the author of MIDNIGHT THIEF (an Indies Introduce New Voices selection), DAUGHTE

Rosemarked (2 books)
  • Umbertouched (Rosemarked, #2)
“Nothing's promised us by the gods. Isn't that all the more reason to love while we can?” 2 likes