Start by marking “The Guardian (Gods and Kings Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Guardian (Gods and Kings Chronicles, #2)

The Guardian

(Gods and Kings Chronicles #2)

The Orb was created to reshape the world. The gods never intended for it to fall into mortal hands. Now it has.

A half-century ago, the gods were annihilated in a cataclysmic event known as the Sundering. In their absence, the dragon lords have struggled to maintain an uneasy peace amongst Laveria’s rival kingdoms. But now the armies of the Necromancer are on the march. Aft
Published February 13th 2016 by LHH Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Guardian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guardian

Michael Britt
Real rating: 3.5

I know what you're thinking, "only 3.5 stars? That can't be good." But this is a very good 3.5 stars. I know we tend to think 3 stars is a bad thing, but it isn't. Not always, in any case. Especially not in this one. I really enjoyed Haywood's debut novel. He had some really awesome action scenes and I really liked how he writes dialogue. The first 10% was so much fun, but the next 40% kind of fell flat for me, then the last half he really came into his own.

For a self-published
Andy
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars - WOW! I just can't believe this is a new author. From start to finish, every aspect of his writing is extremely impressive...superb! I must confess, I am new to the fantasy genre (more of a Baldacci guy myself), but I have been captured! His highly-skilled use of language, and amazing facility in choosing descriptive phrasing, bring the story alive and paint a vivid picture of this complex fantasy world. I want more!
Kelly
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Guardian is a great first book in an exciting new series. The story is full of action, compelling characters, and swift pacing. I was completely drawn into the author's fully realized world and am eagerly awaiting the next book! Highly recommended for lovers of high fantasy (and good books in general!).
Denise Haywood
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-guardian
I enjoyed this book immensely and would highly recommend it. I eagerly await book II! The author captured my attention to his clearly developed world with his excellent use of imagery; and use of medieval terms and descriptors. I am not a fan of overblown, monotonous, descriptive details of either the scenery or the characters (e.g.: he was tall, with curly flaxen hair that flowed to the shoulder.... Blah, blah, blah), and this author did not do either. His excellent use of imagery created visua ...more
Nadim Shehab
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great first book for Lee H Haywood. I found it a lot easier to read than most fantasy novels. I love how quickly Haywood throws you into the world. There is no hand holding, yet it never feels like hand holding is necessary.

While this book is clearly the first of a series (the overarching story is not resolved), the ending provides plenty of twists and turns to leave me very satisfied and excited to find out what happens next.

I highly recommend this book and will definitely read future
Frances
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am an avid reader and I especially like to read first books by new authors. Lee Haywood's "The Guardian" is filled with captivating characters and an intriguing fast paced story line. His writing is some of the best I have come across in a very long time and although fantasy is not normally my genre, I was completely absorbed from beginning to end. I will definitely be looking for more from this author.
Connor Fontaine
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Guardian is definitely one of my new favorites, the characters are interesting, and the story is well paced. I liked the dark atmosphere of the book, and it leaves you wanting to find out what happens next. I really enjoyed the book, and I highly recommend it to any fan of fantasy, or necromancers.
Annie Downey
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book! Lee Haywood has created an exciting and richly developed fantasy world that comes to life. I didn’t want to put this book down, and when I did, I would think of it and start worrying about the characters and what would happen to them. This is a magnificent debut novel and worth your time. I look forward to the next installment!
Linda Foran
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!!! Loved it!!! Great storyline-I couldn’t put it down. This author knows how to string words together to transport you to another land. Characters, good and evil, came to life and left me anticipating the next twist in the plot. Thank goodness his next book is ready for me to read.
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story with illuminating descriptions and details. The story moved nicely and kept me thinking through the whole story. I am not one to read fantasy but because of this book it makes me question, why haven't I been reading fantasy?! I can't wait to read the next one!
Shane
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book, enjoyed reading it-waiting for the release of future books.
Benjamin
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great storytelling in an interesting world. Takes a minute to sort out all the different races and deities, but once you get going it's a page-turner. Eagerly awaiting the next book.
Steve
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fantasy-2017
I won this book in a giveaway from the author.

I liked this book…a lot. This book has a lot going for it. You’ve got the usual fantasy characters and races. There are men, elves and dwarves engaged in an epic battle against a powerful evil. We have a small band of heroes and of course the odd are stacked against them. The good guys are easy to like and the bad guys are equally easy to dislike. What makes this book different is what else the author has added.

The author takes the tried and true “ep
Ethan
Nov 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I received this book via a goodreads giveaway.
It took me a solid 150 pages to get into the story and the first couple of chapters were downright painful to read but after I got into it (and the early onslaught of adverbs subsided) I got pretty absorbed in the second half. It's the first book of a series so the story obviously isn't over at the end of the book but I felt like there were a couple of arcs that were minimal enough in this first part that they could have been left out and introduced
Jerry Mercer
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing Story

I enjoyed the basic plot, but some of the imaginative words and intermingling of species and realms was overdone and distracting. The actions and internal thoughts of some of the characters slowed down the story and added little to the story.
Pastor2112
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Well, I found out about Demetry. Good story that continues the search for the Orb as a group of adventurers seeks to awaken a God who (seemingly) possesses the only chance to defeat Demetry and his undead hordes.
brian miller
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

Ok a book. I enjoyed it although it skipped around a lot and confused me. Overall it was a good read
Cal
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brutal.
Philipp
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
To be honest, I thought this would be a badly written fantasy novel and the good ratings were just friends of the author.
But I was fortunately wrong.
I bought it for 0.99 euro on amazon and gave it a try. I expected nothing and got a really good book.
There were some weak points, but I didn't mind them that much.

So because of the shortness of the novel, I wasn't bored once.
A lot of stuff happens and as a reader, you are thrown into a fantasy world (which looks a lot like middle-earth ;))with a hu
Eric Dicarlo
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll be perfectly honest; this is (from what I can tell) a first book and it starts off by making sure you're very aware of it. You're sort of thrown into a plot and it's confusing for a while because you keep meeting new people and learning new things about the world. There were also a few times where the characters knew what was going on and reacted accordingly ... but I didn't know about the thing (because I don't live in that world) they were reacting to so I sort of just had to go with it a ...more
Patrick Murphy
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haywood really hits the ground running with his debut novel, The Guardian. From the opening pages the reader is immediately transported to the World of Laveria: a world at war between good and evil. In the midst of this epic war, you will find yourself on the edge of your seat as you follow an imaginative cast of characters ranging from shapeshifting dragons to a chilling army of the undead. As this novel is the first in the series it will leave you wanting more, but at the same time its ending ...more
Courtney
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I won this book in a good reads giveaway.
This book started off slow, and I was not sure about it. But, the characters and world clicked about halfway through, and the book got good. Things got exciting, and I did not want it to end! The characters were interesting and I became sympathitic to them as the story evolved. The writing was pretty good, but the author has some room to grow. I think his writing can be great, and I am really looking forward to the next books in this series! I recommend t
Kendra
I received this book for free via Goodreads Giveaway. Review posted on Amazon as well.

Yay! Another author to enjoy! The start was a touch confusing since the author dropped one right into the story and it was busy right from the start. However, it was a very enjoyable read throughout, and I loved all of the twists and turns. The author built an amazing and diverse world, with fascinating characters and it will be interesting to see where he takes the story.
maren
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great first book by Lee Haywood. Laveria is a fascinating world with a rich and complex history. The story is fast paced, and kept me wanting to know what would happen next. I enjoyed sorting out the various religious, magic and geographic influences. I'm looking forward to the next Gods and Kings book.
Sean Aiken
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great first novel! As you journey with the characters you easily find yourself wanting to dig more into the magic, the politics, and the history of Laveria. I especially enjoyed the page turning battle depictions -- somehow Haywood makes you feel like you're standing on the front line while also seeing the whole map unfold. Can't wait for the next books!
Skrunch
rated it did not like it
Dec 31, 2017
Feb 14, 2016
Lynette
Sep 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Dragonlinked (Dragonlinked Chronicles, #1)
  • Dead Stars - Part Two (Emaneska #4)
  • Pathfinder Tales: The Redemption Engine
  • Among the Fallen
  • Chaos Unleashed (The Chaos Born, #3)
  • Hard Times in Dragon City (Shotguns & Sorcery #1)
  • Seven Kings (Books of the Shaper, #2)
  • Arcadia (Advent Trilogy, #3)
  • Vibrations (Harmonic Magic #1)
  • The Chains of War (The Children of Telm, #3)
  • Ashes and Spirits
  • Pathfinder Tales: Liar's Blade
  • Deceptions (The Blending Enthroned, #2)
  • The Year of the Dragon Omnibus Edition (The Year of the Dragon, #1-4)
  • Dragon in Chains (Moshui, #1)
  • The Butterfly Crest (The Protogenoi Series, #1)
  • Honor Among Thieves (Ancient Blades, #3)
  • All the Turns of Light (Paths of Shadow, #2)
I am the author of The Gods and Kings Chronicles and Fractured Throne. I currently live in Arizona with my family. When I am not writing (which seems to take up more of my time these days) I enjoy playing soccer, tinkering with Photoshop, and exploring the world.

If you interested in following my exploits, please visit my website, follow me on facebook, or check me out on twitter . If you would lik

Gods and Kings Chronicles (3 books)
  • A Wizard's Dark Dominion (The Gods and Kings Chronicles Book 1)
  • The Guardian Stone (Gods and Kings Chronicles, #3)