Start by marking “Rosette: A Novel of Pioneer Michigan” as Want to Read:
Rosette: A Novel of Pioneer Michigan

Rosette: A Novel of Pioneer Michigan

Why did she edit her wedding-day journal?

Almost-spinster schoolteacher Rosette Cordelia Ramsdell married Otis Churchill on a Michigan farm in 1857. Her real-life journal recounts two years of homesteading, history hints at the next six decades, and the novel explores the truth. We meet Rosette in 1888 as she revises the wedding-day page of her journal. In lush detail, in
Published February 24th 2016 by Moraine's Edge Books (first published January 23rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Rosette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rosette

Start your review of Rosette: A Novel of Pioneer Michigan
Bet
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a perfect read for those who like historical novels set in the American pioneer days. The novel is based on a journal that Cindy Marsch's mother found in a thrift store. Rosette's story, supplemented by the points of view of her husband, brother, and mother, is a compelling and a fascinating look into the life of a pioneer family in Michigan before the Civil War. After reading the book, connect to the website (Rosettebook.com) to learn more about Rosette and her times.
Karen Charbonneau
Rosette is a seamless narrative. Other reviewers have explained the circumstances of Marsch's writing Rosette; I won't duplicate it. My advice to a new reader - allow yourself time to find the rhythm of the novel's phrasing. The 1850s were a more formal time, in manners and speech. Be caught up in Rosette's life as I was. As a student of history, I waited for the small mistake of fact. I found none. You may use this novel as a window into pre-Civil War rural Michigan. I knew that after the virg ...more
Bonnye Reed
GAB I received a Kindle copy of this book from Cindy Rinaman Marsch in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, Ms. Marsch, for sharing your hard work with me!

Cindy Rinaman Marsch has done a wonderful job of fleshing out this novel around the journal entries of Rosette Cordelia Ramsdell Churchill. This is a novel you cannot put down, and it ends much too soon - I would love to be able to follow the lives of the remaining children.

The characters are complex, the details well defined and picture
Hannah
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This lovely, engrossing story, based on the diary of the real-life Rosette, will be much loved by those who have treasured the stories of Laura Ingalls Wilder and Caddie Woodlawn. It offers a glimpse into a pioneer girl-becoming-woman, her daily life, and relationships with family.
Roxie Prince
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this review and more on my blog at [Roxie Writes].

I was contacted by Cindy Rinaman Marsch about her works, a short story entitled “Blizzard” and a novel called ‘Rosette’, and from her email alone, I couldn’t wait to dive into these stories. Unfortunately, I had a couple other works ahead of them in my TBR, so I was on pins and needles until I could get to them. The story behind the works is intriguing enough!

Cindy Rinaman Marsch’s mother found a journal written by Rosette Cordelia Ramsdell-
Caitlin
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rosette has been on my “to-read” list for over a year, and I can’t believe I didn’t read it sooner. I was intrigued by the teaser - why did she edit her wedding day journal entry? I only wish there had been more details!

I love historical fiction and I especially enjoy it when it is based on real people. The story is not action packed or overly dramatic. It reminded me a bit of the Dear America series for young adults I read (and loved!) when I was younger.

Cindy’s writing is beautiful and the
Elizabeth Horst
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a plot full of twists or adventure, this isn't your book. But I recommend that, even if you feel bogged down with details in the early chapters, you settle in and keep reading. Those details about the weather and the neighbors and relations are carefully crafted to give you a window into a way of life foreign to our own, but filled with a beauty and sweetness which the pioneers themselves may not have noticed until they lost it. The pleasure of this novel comes from the way ...more
Helen Hollick
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
" A gentle story of family life in an era where life was hard and yet simple pleasures mean everything. A wonderful snapshot into a lost world. "

Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs
Janie  R.
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A historical fiction read based on true events and past documents of Rosette's family. Very interesting, as it describes living in the cold climate in Michigan, making a living and surviving.
Beverly
The book opens in 1888 with Rosette’s reflection on her decision to leave her marriage two years earlier, abandon her children who are mostly grown and take the train from Michigan to Dakota Territory to live with her oldest son. This reflection written by the author, emerges from the fragment of a journal entry where Rosette has crossed out her description of her wedding day and inserts “Unholy and Unhappy bonds of marriage” and describes her feelings as “sincerely DETEST and ABHOR."

Marsch then
Cathy
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story of pioneer life in Michigan. It is based on a journal kept by Rosette Ramsdell, and even though the author warned that it didn't have a storybook ending, I was captivated by the narrative of life in the middle of the 19th century.
Awesome Indies Book Awards
Awesome Indies Book Awards is pleased to include ROSETTE A Novel of Pioneer Michigan by CINDY RINAMAN MARSCH in the library of Awesome Indies' Seal of Excellence recipients at http://j.mp/AwesIndBk262
Wendy
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting concept

The concept was a little interesting but I struggled to stay focused on the story. I don't know if the fault is mine or the authors.
Anita
I am not interested in this one
Cate
Apr 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5*
Emily
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
History of Michigan pioneers.

This was an interesting and quick read of what life was like for the pioneers in Western/Central Michigan. These areas are literally less than ten miles from my home which was intriguing. It was also very realistic and like real life, does not always include happy endings.
Gigi
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been fascinated by the idea of this book since the author (who is a friend and provided me with a free review copy) first started talking about writing it. The book is based on a pioneer woman's journal discovered in a thrift shop. The real hook? Some of the journal was later crossed out and rewritten because Rosette Churchill, the diarist, radically changed her impressions about events and people in her life.
Another reader described this as " 'Little House on the Prairie' for grownups,"
Cindy Marsch
Sep 13, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
A word from the author . . .

In the years I have lived with Rosette's original journal and then this novel as it formed itself in my mind and in print, I have come to know as much about myself as about her and those around her. Having a long-distance view of the major events of her life (births, deaths, marriages, etc.) and an intimate read of her journal of 1856-58 allowed me to inhabit her world. It was tempting to pass judgment on her whole complicated life. But I could not help but see my ow
Michelle
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed getting to know the characters. They all developed clearly as the book progressed, and I hope to meet them in another book. I keep thinking of it as a Little House book featuring young adults.
Vicki
Oct 02, 2017
Amy Hetletvedt
Feb 01, 2020
Sophia07003
rated it did not like it
Feb 08, 2020

• In An Instant
  • Floating Twigs
  • The Empty Nesters
  • Second Best Thing: Marilyn, JFK, and a Night to Remember
  • On the Kennebec: Volume One (Joseph Shorey of Maine Book 1)
  • Early Frontier Life: The Saga of Jedediah Beech
  • A Summer Nanny in Fairbanks & The River Home (Women's Adventure in Alaska #2-#2.5)
  • On the Kennebec: Volume Two
  • Celia Garth
  • The Trail of Independence : The Saga Of Jedediah Beech - (Volume 3)
  • Sense & Sensibility (The Austen Project, #1)
  • Crazy About Alaska (Alaska Dream, #3)
  • On the Kennebec: Volume Three (Joseph Shorey of Maine Book 3)
  • The Misses Moffet Mend a Marriage (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #2.5)
  • Loving Alaska (Alaska Dream, #2)
  • Bloody Lessons (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #3)