Start by marking “Immortal (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #9)” as Want to Read:
Immortal (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #9)

Immortal

(Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3 #9)

Buffy is pitted against the deadliest of foes: a vampire that can't be killed - not even by the Slayer - a vampire named Veronique.
Published May 1st 2000 by Simon Pulse (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Immortal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immortal

Charlotte Johnson
Christopher Golden writes his Buffy stories in a manner that is just like watching an episode of the television series in your head. It really is nice to get inside Buffy's head and know what she is thinking and feeling as she goes about the adventure of slaying and saving the day. This book is worth taking time to sit down with some coffee and read.
Kevin Lau
Dec 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF at 53%

This is supposedly one of the best Buffy novels out there, with the supposed dream team of Christopher Golden and Nancy Holder. I can definitely see why the fanbase praises these authors, especially considering these writers come out with books at almost the same speed of Stephen King. However, though there is enjoyment to be found in this book, the vast majority of my reaction was "Okay, that was cool, but..."

I'll do my best to break it down.

Dialogue vs. Character

Christopher Golden's
Sean Carlin
Perfectly serviceable, standalone "monster-of-the-week" Buffy adventure that's undeniably showing its age twenty years after initial publication (Jennifer Love Hewitt references, anyone?). The authors certainly have the voices of the characters down (even though Joss Whedon's super-stylized dialogue sounds better from his actors' mouths than it reads on the page), and, like all good Buffy stories, there's an emotional arc and thematic underpinning to the plot -- it isn't all mere spook-sleuthin' ...more
Margaret
Did not finish.

I think I've grown past Buffy books. Pity.
Emma
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-books
Kathy
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
My first foray in to Buffy fiction and I'll be going back. Buffy and gang take on Veronique, a very old vampire who can take new form after being staked. She's up to nefarious schemes to make Hell on Earth (pretty much like every Buffy villain). Buffy also has to deal with her Mom's serious illness at the same time. Good stuff, I miss these characters.
Paul
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Valerie
Jul 30, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: desparate readers
Recommended to Valerie by: free
Shelves: tv-made-me-do-it
Given a choice between Buffy comics and Buffy novels, you should choose comics.
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Really enjoyed this! I love how the Buffy universe is enriched and utilized by the book. Can't wait to read another.
Matthew Ledrew
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: adaptation
Thomas Needham
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book in 2001 when I had the opportunity to meet Chris Golden at a convention and Buffy was still on the air and it's sat on a shelf for the last 15 years. I was a big fan of the show back then but didn't read much. Picking this up now all these years later has brought back a big wave of nostalgia for the show and the characters.

Honestly, this is probably more of a three-star book but it gets the extra star for the novelty of returning to this world and these characters. They are im
Nathan Burgoine
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
On completion of Tape One, I must say a few things:

(1) I'm quite impressed with Charisma Carpenter's ability to capture the cadence and tones of nearly all the characters, with the exception of the absolute slaughter she has done of Giles' British Accent. Eep.

(2) The story is pretty neat, and given a sub-plot of Buffy's mom being really ill in what would be around 3rd Season in the show, it's a nice foreshadow to the eventual plot conclusion of Joyce in the show.

(3) The notion of an immortal
Dark-Draco
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There's a vampire with the ability to be reborn into another body every time she dies. She works for her Masters, who need to be reborn into this world. She's in Sunnydale, making new offspring and digging up rotton bodies. This is where the Slayer steps in!

The story is excellent - gory, disgusting and yet with the same great humour that made the TV series such a joy to watch. Veronique is a superb baddie and I loved the fact that she had her own little flashbacks so her story could be explored,
Scott
Nov 04, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I listened to Charima Carpenter read this in audio format today during work. Christopher Golden's one of the better Buffy writers, but this book is still pretty crappy. I'm gonna recommend the audio format for everyone because a) it's abridged, and b) the villain is French, and Charisma Carpenter is absolutely horrible at accents. Way amusing.
Elaine Carass
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this is one of the best buffy books in the series it seems to be more adult then the other ones. i found the story gripping and actually read it in one day. buffy seems to have grown up in this book and is trying to deal with major issues. i did find angel a little too broody in this book. i always reread this when i have nothing to read
Craig
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Immortal was a fun read, but I would not count it as among the best of the Buffy novels. The authors obviously put a lot of effort into fitting it into the mythos that existed at the time, but I felt that too much of the action happened away from Sunnydale with different viewpoint characters. It would have been a good episode of the show, but, again, not among the best.
Randy
this is by far one of the best Buffy books. Any time Nancy holder and chris golden get together its like buffy magic. Would highly recommend to any buffy fan, both obsessed or newbie.

Takes place in season 2/3. The scooby gang is in great form with angel, oz, willow, cordy, and xander.
Craig
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cordelia reads a Buffy novel! Charisma Carpenter wasn't the greatest reader one could imagine but she tried really hard and she wasn't reading the best Buffy book to begin with. Actually, I thought that the novelty was a lot of fun.
Brian
Apr 18, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: media, fantasy
given to me by Shaun....who saved it from the trash when Wedon's office was being cleaned out on the Fox lot after Dollhouse's plug was pulled.
Samantha
Oct 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Christopher Golder and Nancy Holder help to elevate this Buffy novel from the run of the mill young adult serial novel.
Ali Vakilzadeh
May 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
I read it, and i loved it. I read the last two chapters at least 5 times!
Robin Reynolds / October Woman
Standard Buffy fare but enjoyable.
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Seeing as I loved the Television series I also liked the books.
Dony Grayman
Una de las pocas novelas del Buffyverso editadas en castellano.
Clare Muldoon
Shelves: library, young-adult
Young Adult Fiction
Ginette
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
A really good read but it did seem to be lacking. There was just something about it that had me glad when I had finished with,
Lukas Anthony
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Good for a bit of nostalgia.
Lauren
Apr 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Está bien sobre todo el argumento de un vampiro que aunque muere puede poseer otro cuerpo. Pero eso es todo.
Maggie
Sep 23, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Corny. Silly me. I love Buffy though.
  • Obsidian Fate (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #20)
  • Long Way Home (Unseen Trilogy, #3)
  • Resurrecting Ravana (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #13)
  • The Evil That Men Do (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #6)
  • Return to Chaos (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #17)
  • Revenant (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #11)
  • Ghoul Trouble (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #4)
  • Paleo (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #5)
  • Chaos Bleeds (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 5, #7)
  • Deep Water (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #21)
  • The Faith Trials (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Novelizations, #10)
  • The Angel Chronicles, Vol. 2  (The Angel Chronicles, #2)
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3 (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Sins of the Father (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #1)
  • Blooded (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #2)
  • Child of the Hunt (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #3)
  • Ghoul Trouble (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #4)
  • Paleo (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #5)
  • The Evil That Men Do (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #6)
  • The Deathless (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #7)
  • Doomsday Deck (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #8)
  • Prime Evil (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #10)
  • Revenant (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #11)