Start by marking “Raising Royalty: 1000 Years of Royal Parenting” as Want to Read:
Raising Royalty: 1000 Years of Royal Parenting

Raising Royalty: 1000 Years of Royal Parenting

How royal parents raised their children over the past thousand years, from keeping the Vikings at bay to fending off paparazzi.

William and Kate, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, are setting trends for millions of parents around the world. The upbringing of their two children, Prince George and Princess Charlotte, is the focus of intense popular scrutiny. Royalty have alw
Published April 8th 2017 by Dundurn (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Raising Royalty, please sign up.
Carolyn Harris Yes, the focus is the British Isles and Europe. There are two chapters devoted to the Russian Imperial family - one about Peter the Great and another…moreYes, the focus is the British Isles and Europe. There are two chapters devoted to the Russian Imperial family - one about Peter the Great and another about Nicholas II and Alexandra. (less)

Dannii Elle
I received this in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley. Thank you to the author, Carolyn Harris, and the publisher, Dundurn, for this opportunity.

This non-fiction details the various approaches to royal child-rearing, spanning the last 1,000 years. Although mostly focused on the British monarchy, there was a great variation of royals covered, and the differences and similarities between them all was fascinating to read about.

I initially sought to read this as a form of research for my o
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Melisa
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a 21st century parent, this is a completely fascinating account of how children were raised throughout history. Not only does the book cover how the royals were parented, but it also addresses some of the parenting and social ideals of the times.

The book is broken up into chronological chapters based on a selection of leaders and the times that they reigned. Let's just say, we've come a very long way since the medieval times!

The author is obviously an expert on this subject and it shows. The
Susan Snodgrass
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have long been a fan of the British monarchy and have quite a collection of books myself, so when I see a new book, I grab it! This one is a great addition to any library. Beginning in the tenth century, it is very detailed as to how different members of the royal families of Europe raised their children. Sometimes it is very, very detailed and tiresome, but still, all in all it is a great book.

*I was provided with a copy of this book by the publisher via Net Galley. My review is honest and my
Marzie
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-net-galley
I received a copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

Carolyn Harris has written a book with an interesting persepective on European history, viewed with an eye on parenting. I enjoyed the book for its ability to make me stop and think about the differing parenting styles and their outcome on succession in some of the best known monarchies in Europe. One can easily pity the plight of royal children, who were pawns in political marriages, but sometimes also in schemes ag
Kristen
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Raising Royalty provides a fact-filled survey of how 20 royal couples -- from Edward the Peaceable and Elfrida of Northhampton in the 10th century to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge today -- approached child-rearing. Author Carolyn Harris blends history and anecdote to show how culture, tradition, and political expedience drove royal families throughout Europe to view their children as dynastic chess pieces that they moved into the care of noble friends, to abbeys and boarding schools, to othe ...more
Mandy
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well researched, clearly and accessibly written, this exploration of how royal parents have brought up their children over the centuries is both entertaining and illuminating. As with any such comprehensive history book I found I couldn't manage much more than a chapter at a time, especially with all the endless Williams, Henrys and Richards of the early years, but as a book to dip into and inform other historical readings it couldn’t be bettered.
Juli
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Raising a prince or princess is much more than the Once-Upon-A-Time of fairy tales. Bringing up a royal child is parenting on a grand scale - preparing the next generation of rulers, setting political alliances, and maintaining the grandeur and expectations of a 24/7 public role. Raising Royalty presents the stories of 20 different royal families and their children over the past 1000 years. From grand palaces to lonely exile, arranged marriages and political intrigue, to armed rebellion, overind ...more
Connie Fischer
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book that follows 20 European royal couples and their parenting styles as seen by the public. It discusses each European ruler and the relationships they had with their spouses and their children Often, it was found that the mother was very protective of her children and does all she can to promote them in the eyes of their father. In addition, many female children were placed in convents and the males were placed in the homes of barons and church leaders for them to complete ...more
Penmouse
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kristine
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon-reviewed
Raising Royalty by Carolyn Harris is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early March.

Harris researches and relates information about royal children and parenting between 943-1982 AD. I was especially excited to read this book, due to wanting to know about the aftermath of the Victoria mini-series when Victoria gave birth to her first out of nine children. Besides all that, it tells of teaching children with tutors and governesses, the public opinion of royal subjects on their royal parenting,
MissyLynne
I was expecting the book to be entirely be about English royalty, but was pleased to find that it covered enough of Europe to give it some diversity.

Filled with a lot of interesting facts and written in a way that held my attention.

Both well researched and written.
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A quick read on the evolution of raising children over the last 1,000 years. While focused on royal children this book could be a good start for looking into how any child was raised during a particular period in time. It looks at how culture, religion and society as well as circumstances affected how a child was brought up. From treating children like little adults to the gradual movement towards having a childhood and the role that parents play in the raising of their children. I was surprised ...more
Beatriz
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Focusing on the relationship between royal parents and their children, it covers a vast swatch of British history (and of many other countries where the royal spouses were born or raised in). It shows how some behaviours were perpetuated in royal families and how others were brought in by foreign spouses. It leads the reader through developing customs and changing historical situations. And it shows how different generations dealt with heirs patiently waiting (or ...more
Karen Lee-Johnston
I loved this book, royalty through the ages showing how the privilege monster is made. Full well researched information and really well written. As an historian it is over course right up my street but it's a highly readable book that has mass appeal potential. You can draw a line through the ages to the royals of today with how they are raises in the bounds of expectation and protocol. Fabulous read!
Michell Karnes
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was divided into chapters based on the royal parents. While most of the book focused on the parenting practices of the British Royal family through the years the author did cover some popular royal parents of other nations such as Nicholas and Alexandra of Russia the monarchs of the Netherlands. The book was a good overview of royal parenting.
Diana
Book received from NetGalley

Review to Come
Elaine Lovejoy
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gives the reader a fascinating account of raising royalty. Good read, very interesting.
Travis Cox
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read!

This was a most interesting book, well-written, about a subject that’s not often discussed. I’d highly recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about the way royal children are reared.
Rvchua
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this intimate perspective on the history of royal families for 1,000 years. This book just makes me want to read more about history.
Michelle Griswold
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was expecting a list of "advice" and "lessons" and was pleasantly surprised.

Ms. Harris presents a HUGE amount of history in this book and her skill at writing in a way that keeps the reader engaged and interested is refreshing.

Anyone with any interest in royal families will love this book. It's a great read.

*Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an advanced electronic copy in exchange for an honest review
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finally a book that answers the questions we peasants have pondered for years....do royals face the same challenges with child-rearing? From Edgar "the Peaceable" and Elfrida of Northampton to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, this book explores various aspects and trends of parenting over the last 1000 years. With fathers and sons battling for crown, abdication crises, baby names, and overbearing mothers, this book has it all and more! You will not be able to put it down!
Jenn
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting perspective, and one that takes a good look at the historical precedents regarding raising Royals - and why their decisions may seem out of touch at times.
Julie Ferguson
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Note that I read this book as a ARC and the author is published by my publisher.

Raising Royalty is a comprehensive study of how British Kings and Queens have raised their children. Twenty families with their widely varying parenting approaches from Anglo-Saxon times to the present are studied.

While the book is a thoroughly researched subject by a scholar, it is a joy to read. It provides a clear picture of how parenting in the rarified atmosphere of castles and palaces has evolved and, perhaps
Pam Thomas
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating book which shows how Royal childhood has changed over the centuries, beginning with Prince William , Kate and the siblings, how Royal watchers are ever keen to criticize and praise the way the royals approach parenthood whereas in the past royal children were parented in nurseries and country palaces even in exile when their parents undertook royal duties. The book covers 20 European royal couples adaptation to parenthood, the good and bad points.
Alissa Haley
Jan 06, 2017 marked it as own-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I'd like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a digital ARC of this book!
Nicola
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Prose was very ... prosaic. Some inconsistencies between chapters in terms of names. Entertaining enough.
Eva

• Royal Marriage Secrets: Consorts  Concubines, Bigamists  Bastards
  • The Romanov Family Album
  • A Brief History of the Hundred Years War
  • Victoria: Portrait of a Queen
  • Who Was Queen Victoria?
  • A Royal Experiment: The Private Life of King George III
  • The Transatlantic Marriage Bureau; Husband Hunting in the Gilded Age: How American Heiresses Conquered the Aristocracy
  • Serving Victoria: Life in the Royal Household
  • Conquest
  • Edward III
  • Anastasia's Album
  • The Hundred Years War: A People's History
  • Roses from the Earth: The Biography of Anne Frank
  • A Great and Glorious Adventure: A History of the Hundred Years War and the Birth of Renaissance England
Dr. Carolyn S. Harris teaches history at the University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies. She received her PhD in European history from Queen's University in 2012. Her writing concerning the history of monarchy in the U.K., Europe, and Canada has appeared in numerous publications including the Globe and Mail, Ottawa Citizen, Smithsonian Magazine and the BBC News Magazine, and she is a frequ ...more