Start by marking “The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever” as Want to Read:
The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever

The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  6,292 ratings  ·  565 reviews
In Michael Bungay Stanier's The Coaching Habit, coaching becomes a regular, informal part of your day so managers and their teams can wok less hard and have more impact.

Drawing on years of experience training more than 10,000 busy managers from around the globe in practical, everyday coaching skills, Bungay Stanier reveals how to unlock your peoples' potential. He unpacks
Published February 29th 2016 by Box of Crayons Press

To ask other readers questions about The Coaching Habit, please sign up.
Seth Kennedy Sure. It will be most applicable/relevant to people who manage or coach others, but some of the ideas could be applied to other areas of life, too.

really liked it 4.00  ·

Cariadne
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quick read and packed filled with name dropping of other resources, books, authors to lend legitimacy that the author Michael Bungay Stanier looked at other published works to help shape his teachings in The Coaching Habit. I thought it interesting he named so many other bestselling books, but found it disappointing, too. Upon picking this up from NetGalley, I was looking for new insights and a new expert I can rely; not someone else rehashing and selling me wisdom already provided by Dan Pink ...more
Ron
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my new favorite book on coaching. Before I would have said Quiet Leadership by David Rock. Executive Coaching with Backbone and Heart is also great for current practitioners. What this book excels at, what sets it apart, and what makes it my favorite is that he understands one target audience - the audience that could most benefit - and he wrote a book that actually has a shot of being implemented by them.

Coaching is not difficult in principle. We've all heard we should be doing it if we
Marshall
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book provides a great framework of asking coaching questions.

The kickstart question: “What’s on your mind?"
The awe question: “And what else?"
The focus question: “ What’s the Real Challenge Here for You?"
The lazy question: "How Can I Help?"
The foundation question: “What do you want?"
The strategic question: “If You’re Saying Yes to This, What Are You Saying No To?"
The learning question: “What was most useful for you?”

Great Quotes

“Many leaders told us they don’t have the time in this high-press
Jim Razinha
Stanier says he took four years to write four versions of this. I'm virtually scratching my head at that...it's a trifold tract blown up with repetitious cliches, buzzwords, self-help stuff, and a lot of name- and book title-dropping. Stanier aggregates other people's works (he even cites the serial offender aggregator Daniel Goleman) into a whizzbang ask seven questions and you know everything about coaching leadership flipchart. I think he misses his target by a wide margin. Note: I do agree t ...more
Krista Regester
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
...and what else?
Rod Moser
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Coaches, teachers, trainers, managers, parents
Recommended to Rod by: Net Galley
This book is absolutely BRILLIANT!

I have served as a Team Leader with Keller Williams, a managing broker of the largest Century 21 office in the world, and now, as a professional real estate coach. I work with many agents around the country to improve efficiencies and best business practices while growing their businesses.

I was constantly getting caught in the usual traps (without having much in the way of professional coaches training) of going through a coaching session without really feeling
José Luis
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had previously read the excellent book, very worth reading,
Coaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - The Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership, 4th Edition Paperback – October 10, 2009. John Whitmore (Author).
As a professor at a university in Brazil, I practiced coaching a lot as an adviser both graduate and undergraduate, and I could learn a lot then. So, the topic coaching is not so new at all.
This little book is worth reading although it is a little tir
Diana
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Totally recommend this book! It has great tips and insights on how you can take out more of your 1:1s, especially when you are managing or coaching people! I used a audiobook, but I plan to re-read it on paper, since i want to be able to take notes and make highlights!
The book highlight 7 questions and gives contexts and insight on how they work and why they are useful.

The books has a couple of ideas that are repetitive.
Simon Eskildsen
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Centered around 7 great questions to help any conversation go from small-talk to output. But it isn't just a checklist of answers for one-on-ones, it's also filled with nuggets on building long-term memory, other mental models for management, pragmatic lessons from neuroscience, as well as useful analogies. Some of my favorites were how people typically put themselves in the position of a rescuer, victim, or prosecutor—either of which can be dangerous. It's tempting to feel it's a hero move to t ...more
Ashley Gleiter
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was great. For a majority of people, the way this material is presented is super easy to digest and well structured and organized to make the learning journey cohesive and easy to envision how you can apply the learning in your own work easily. I think it clarifies the need for and provides an approach to coaching that manages to be both simple and profoundly beneficial.
Samarth Agnihotri
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
"Your advice is not as good as you think."
•Do you offer advices to your friends in need. To become a good coach spend less time telling someone what to do rather than ask more questions.
•This book contains some reasonable questions to solve your friends problems. Read this book and help your friends in the best way possible next time.
Happy reading.😊
Karen Stanton
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best coaching books I've ever read. I had the pleasure of seeing Michael Bungay Stanier in person, and he was just as helpful and funny and endearing as this book.
The basic premise? Shut up and listen. Assume you have much to learn. Kill the advice monster.

I am going to carry this book in my briefcase and read it before every coaching session. I think that school districts everywhere should buy copies for their instructional coaches, and I think it would also be helpful in cor
Manas Saloi
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is regarding how to provide coaching and conduct successful one on ones. The 7 questions you are supposed to ask are:

What is on your mind?
And what else?
What is the real challenge for you?
What do you want?
What do you want from me?/ How can I help?
What are you saying No to?
What was most useful for you about this conversation?

Planning to use this the next time I have a one on one with someone in my team.
Bob
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Summary: Kicking the advice habit, asking questions well, and using variations of seven key questions can lead to more effective leadership coaching.

Over the next few weeks, I will be mixing in reviews of books on coaching, part of some reading I am doing for my own development. I'll take the risk of reviewing these because all of us influence others in some way, and it is never a loss to learn how we might do that with greater effectiveness that helps others flourish.

One of the key ideas of thi
Karie
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Ian Tymms
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very readable. Clear, succinct strategies that align well with training in Cog Coaching. A useful book to come back to.
Ana  Ulin
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My notes about this book: https://anaulin.org/blog/book-notes-t...
Maanas S Bukkuri
A very light read, but provides a plethora of ways to ask important questions. It has fundamentally changed the way I approach one-on-ones and how I "coach" people. Thank you for this gem!
Jacques Bezuidenhout
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book struggled to keep me engaged.

In summary, the seven questions:
The kickstart question: “What’s on your mind?"
The awe question: “And what else?"
The focus question: “ What’s the Real Challenge Here for You?"
The lazy question: "How Can I Help?"
The foundation question: “What do you want?"
The learning question: “What was most useful for you?”

Mostly the book points you to videos on thecoachinghabit.com. So in my
Farnoosh Brock
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-spirit
I read this at the recommendation of my friend / mastermind peer and it's ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE business/coaching books. We are both in the business of coaching entrepreneurs and business owners and executives, and always working hard to raise our game and our effectiveness with them, so the perspective of reading this book for me was that of a coach and the desire to become a better coach through the powerful questions.

I had the pleasure of meeting Michael a couple of times and sharing a
Cecil
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This books provides the "Seven essential coaching questions" and explains how to use them to open the door for others' growth and progress toward a more intentional and successful life.
Zane Scott-Tunkin
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally found it strange, when as an educator, I bought this business book during a Kindle sale. Now that I've finished it, I would easily recommend it to fellow educators. Especially any administrator, instructional coach, or consultant. Very practical and application oriented - a simple system with real world relevance.

I plan to implement a talk less, coach more mantra this fall in my classroom.
Carolien
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the most practical books on coaching that really allows managers to get to the essence of the issue and provides clear advice to implement the process. The detail on the research that underpins each question is presented in a structured and logical manner. The humour and solid examples add to the value of the experience. Well narrated in the audio version.
Matthew
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly breezy style but super valuable content. I've already started incorporating these questions into my coaching and am purchasing a copy for my permanent bookshelf. (Originally read a copy from the library.)
Tõnu Vahtra
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a trap! 117 pages looks like a really short read, but I ended up with almost 20 more books in my to-read list once I finished it. Michael has a consulting/coaching company (Box of Crayons) and is reading over 100 business books per year due to his role. He recommended his best books in every leadership category: https://boxofcrayons.com/the-coaching...

The book is combining together the key points with many other books that are touching the topic of coaching and manages to do that in
Juan Pablo Gómez
Excellent, fun to read and very useful

This book is a little bit confusing at the beginning because of the way each chapter ir organized, you don’t really know if you are in the first the second or the third question. Once you are through with that it’s because that really doesn’t matter that much and you just want to keeping reading and learning. The trigger/old habit/new habit dynamics are the best, they really force you to assess yourself and make those old habits disappear. The webinars are
Frank Calberg
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Passages I found particularly useful:

What questions can you ask?
- Page 39: What's on your mind? This question invites people to share what is most important for them.
- Page 46: What do you want to stop doing? What do you want to start doing?
- Pages 57 to 65: What else? This question helps people think about and create new possibilities. Having a few more options, for example three or four, increases the probability of having better options. And better options lead to better decisions. For exampl
Sumit
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This short but sweet volume is an excellent resource for anyone who acts as a coach or mentor, whether to peers, direct reports, or others. By breaking the coaching process down into seven fundamental question, interspersed with constant reminders to listen more, be curious, and refrain from giving advice/jumping in to solve the problem unless it is truly necessary. This book is a great guide for those new to coaching, and a great set of reminders/tune-ups for those of us who have been coaching ...more
Gareth Davies
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: career, leadership
A fantastic framework for coaching and a pretty easy read.

Very logically put together with nice steps on how to actually implement the techniques rather than being purely theoretical.

If you hold any kind of senior executive position, management or leadership role, coaching is definitely part of your responsibilities and if you aren't already doing it, start soon and use this book to get started.

It might feel weird or awkward at first, but it will help people grow so much.

Totally recommended, now
Diana Buliga
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An easy reading, with examples and 7 questions that might help you better coach someone. Initially, I thought that the questions apply only for performance coaching but I found some equivalents to be quite fantastic. I loved the simplicity of the scheme, that being lazy cand bring insights and what else? Oh, the learning part. The questions relate to bring awareness of what was helpful/did someone find useful in the conversation means a lot for my next experiences. A nice holiday reading, I woul ...more
Leaders who Libra...: Share Your Thoughts on The Coaching Habit! 8 29 Jan 30, 2019 08:31AM
  • Joy, Inc.: How We Built a Workplace People Love
  • The Five Most Important Questions You Will Ever Ask about Your Organization: An Inspiring Tool for Organizations and the People Who Lead Them
  • Humble Inquiry: The Gentle Art of Asking Instead of Telling
  • Hiring for Attitude: A Revolutionary Approach to Recruiting and Selecting People with Both Tremendous Skills and Superb Attitude
  • Co-Active Coaching: Changing Business, Transforming Lives
  • Quiet Leadership: Six Steps to Transforming Performance at Work
  • The Outward Mindset: Seeing Beyond Ourselves
  • Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader
  • The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World
  • The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals
  • Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills
  • Learning Leadership: The Five Fundamentals of Becoming an Exemplary Leader
  • The Skilled Facilitator: A Comprehensive Resource for Consultants, Facilitators, Managers, Trainers, and Coaches
  • The Principal: Three Keys to Maximizing Impact
  • Help Them Grow or Watch Them Go: Career Conversations Employees Want
  • Influence Without Authority
  • The Multiplier Effect: Tapping the Genius Inside Our Schools
  • Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators
Michael's the author of a number of books, including the WSJ bestseller, The Coaching Habit.
“This is why, in a nutshell, advice is overrated. I can tell you something, and it’s got a limited chance of making its way into your brain’s hippocampus, the region that encodes memory. If I can ask you a question and you generate the answer yourself, the odds increase substantially.” 4 likes
“Five times a second, at an unconscious level, your brain is scanning the environment around you and asking itself: Is it safe here? Or is it dangerous?” 3 likes