Start by marking “Hansons Marathon Method: Run Your Fastest Marathon the Hansons Way” as Want to Read:
Hansons Marathon Method: Run Your Fastest Marathon the Hansons Way

Hansons Marathon Method: Run Your Fastest Marathon the Hansons Way

Run your first marathon or your fastest with Hansons Marathon Method, the revolutionary training program from one of the best running teams in the world, the Hansons-Brooks Distance Project.

In Hansons Marathon Method, the coaches of the Hansons-Brooks Distance Project reveal their innovative marathon training program that has helped thousands of runners become true

Published January 1st 2016 by VeloPress

To ask other readers questions about Hansons Marathon Method, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hansons Marathon Method

Start your review of Hansons Marathon Method: Run Your Fastest Marathon the Hansons Way
Rachel Aloise
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running
Hansons marathon method not only prepares you to run your best marathon, but also to become a strong runner who enjoys the high mileage training process. Having used the program to run my second marathon, I can wholeheartedly say that this is true on both counts.

Hansons method is perhaps best known for their view on the long run, which differs from many classic training plans in that it doesn’t exceed 16 miles (27 km). This point may also be the most misunderstood aspect of the program.
Chad
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Can't wait to put the Hanson plan to the test later this year. Loved the beginning of the book and the way they put all the physiological effects of the various training in plain english. It has me very motivated to stick to the paces the plan calls for, instead of overreaching at paces and thinking it is doing me good.
Leeann
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent training advice paired with clear, concise explanations about the reasoning behind the method. Having run several marathons before, I encountered the Hanson Method only recently. Following their program cut my PR by 20 minutes, plus I wasn't terribly sore the day after my race! Highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking to get serious about their running goals.
Walter
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running
All running books should be like this: clear, organized, and with simple to follow plans.

There's plenty of charts and tables to help you evaluate your current condition and guide you in the selection of realistic goals. They tell you what you should do, why you should do it, and how you're going to get it done.

You get three plans:
1. Just Finish: designed for people who want to run a marathon to cross it off a bucket list, etc. and have no specific performance goals in mind.
2. Beginner: for guys
Ingrid Wilson
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review

Lots of great information. Focus of Stacked running and different types of running is great. I don't agree with not racing during the training at least even once especially for new and fairly new marathon runners getting used to racing is important - recommend 5km and 10km distance races . Especially like the focus on Easy running but feel the their need to be more longer runs especially for newer runners
Grace Acevedo
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book - I'm a first time marathoner that isn't going the class route but choosing to do all the training on my own with the proper schedule. This book gives you so much information, some of it may seem daunting at times but in all honesty better to know more than less! I love the 'Just Finish' Program.. exactly what I need! Covers pretty much every topic of running that you can imagine. Excellent reading for all running levels!
Peggy Li
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running
This wasn't exactly the most fun book to read (to be honest, I don't think I even finished reading it), but the training plan helped me beat my marathon goal time by over 10 minutes, so 5 stars it is.

I do appreciate that it's more than "just the training plan" and has chapters devoted to understanding the science behind the method as well as discussion of topics like running shoe types.
Janice
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I learned so much. I enjoyed marathon training more than I ever had. Felt stronger and more confident that I ever had. I will read it again before my next training cycle and would recommend it to anyone (beginner or veteran runner) who wants to train for a marathon.
Christopher Anderson
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very good, straight to the point book about training specifically for a Marathon.
Avel Deleon
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're running a marathon this is a must read!!!!!!
Rohit Eipe
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cumulative Fatigue

.. is the secret sauce in this book. It really works. The volume of training is high, so you'll need to make a big commitment to training.
Mike Louie
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very informative!

As a first time marathon runner, this book is easy to understand but difficult to do. Regardless, I'm inspired to try!
Beth
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting new approach to marathon training. Unfortunately, it did not really work for me.
Yvonne Suessmuth
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this method but still decided to go with the Higdon just because the Hanson method has a too high running load for me and I know I would get problems with my knees using this.
Carol Lewis
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book, for novice and experienced marathoners. The science behind the training approach is explained thoroughly and in understandable language.
Tobias
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We'll see if the method itself actually works, but I loved the book. Great guide to the physiology of marathon training and running.
Daniiela Sanchez
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This method helped me a lot in my first Marathon. Love it Love it Love it!
Angela
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Let's see if it works

I have run 5 marathons in the last 5 years using the Hal Higdon approach . My times have been the same or slower. Let's see if this us the change I need.
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, running
Reading in preparation for my marathon.
Aja Marsh
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fitness-outdoors
lots of new ideas to consider here!
Kathleen
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I find it hard to rank this book since it’s a run training program I was curious about. Easier for me to rate stories
IndyBook
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It works!!!!!!

After completing 11 half marathons I wanted to do one marathon just to do it. I was worried about injury and long training runs. A friend recommended Hanson. After buying the book and choosing the “Just Finish” plan. I was able to run all but 15 training miles which were in the last week due to an ankle issue. I was concerned because everyone said I should have at least run 20 miles for a long and I had followed the plan and the longest was 16 miles. I was still skeptical on race
Suzanna Ney
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book! Good advice.
Jules
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the better written books on running. Really practical, with step by step instructions on how to run your fastest marathon. Can't wait to put it into practice.
Jason
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
Fantastic book on marathoning.
Chris
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rating is provisional!

How do you rate a marathon book without doing the cycle? Humphrey has me hooked for my spring race, I suppose I'll check back in April.
Tom
Nov 12, 2019
Alejandro Zuluaga-Maya
Mar 16, 2018

• Let Your Mind Run: A Memoir of Thinking My Way to Victory
  • 26 Marathons: What I've Learned About Faith, Identity, Running, and Life From Each Marathon I've Run
  • The Rise of the Ultra Runners: A Journey to the Edge of Human Endurance
  • The Silent Patient: The First Three Chapters
  • Shut Up and Run: How to Get Up, Lace Up, and Sweat with Swagger
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook: Kauai Revealed
  • Jay的跑步筆記: 矽谷工程師激勵上萬人的科學化訓練與生活哲學 (Traditional Chinese Edition)
  • Pictures of Perfection (Dalziel & Pascoe, #14)
  • North: Finding My Way While Running the Appalachian Trail