Start by marking “Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 4 (Tales of the Slayer, #4)” as Want to Read:
Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 4 (Tales of the Slayer, #4)

Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 4

(Tales of the Slayer #4)

A collection of original short stories based on the hit TV series created by Joss Whedon

"I can't be...just a person,
I can't be helpless like that...."
--Buffy, "Helpless"

At eighteen, each Slayer must face a terrifying trial: the Tento di Cruciamentum. This time-honored, albeit cruel, rite of passage forces each Watcher to drain the Slayer of all her physical powers and

Published November 1st 2004 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 4

Ashley
This volume contains 8 "shorts" about previous slayers. I have never read any of the other volumes but I figured that wouldn't have much impact on my understanding of the story since I figured out that each volume has different stories, each penned by a different writer. Not like it is a linear tale of each slayer that came before Buffy in chronological order.

"It's All About The Mission" by Nancy Holder.
I like Holder's writing and since she has written so many Buffy/Angel tales, I trusted this s
Brent Ecenbarger
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buffy, short-stories
The last collection of short stories was surprisingly the best overall by quite a bit. Although all of the stories shared a similar event (the Cruciamentum, the test a slayer takes at 18 when they are lacking their tricked by their watcher and lacking all powers), the more common thread was stronger characterization and more interesting plots. Here's how I'd rank them from worst to best.

Sideshow Slayer - A fun story set in a traveling carnival where demons and the supernatural fit in. A few shoc
Marsha
This exciting volume about the fictional Slayers deals with the most harrowing test they can face—the Cruciamentum. This grueling test is meant to weaken the Slayer and pit her against a formidable enemy. Whether this seems cruel and inhumane or simply necessary is meant for the reader to judge as we see both Slayers and their Watchers put through the wringers.

The stories are riveting, briskly paced and action packed, just what you would expect from tales about girls fighting the forces of dark
Jim C
Sep 29, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a collection of short stories that tell about different slayers and their partaking of the Cruciamentum. This is a test for slayers who are deprived of their strength and they must face a monster. They must survive on their wits. These stories have different time eras and each story has their own slayer. There is no Buffy story and the only slayer from the show that has a story is Nikki Wood. The time eras range from the Spanish Inquisition to the 1980's.

I believe that when reading an an
Matty
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, vampires
This collection of stories about past Slayers centers around the Cruciamentum, the test that weakens at Slayer on her 18th birthday to see if she can survive without her strength, just relying on her wits (such as in Buffy season 3 episode, Helpless). The stories were kind of up and down. A couple of the slayers, the first two stories especially, reminded me too much of Buffy, and I'm not a huge fan of Nikki Wood. My favourites were The Rule of Silence, about a Slayer during the Spanish Inquisit ...more
Michael Thompson
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Some good stories in this. I liked that every story revolved around a particular ritual that was the focus of just one episode of the Television show. Some of the stories were well written. It was a fun, quick read.
I like this Tales collection better then the the third volume because the presence of a unifying theme makes the stories sharper and a bit more focused. I found all the stories enjoyable, and the one by Scott Allie was my favorite.
Lisa
Nov 27, 2010 marked it as started-finish-later
The first story is about Nikki Wood, 1970s-era, Cleopatra Jones-style Slayer. Maybe you remember her from a very intense subway sequence...?
I love these books. The stories are like candy; not very heavy or intellectually-nutritional, but so delicious and fun.
Gautsho
Dec 19, 2014 added it
Shelves: õud
Nagu jutukogudega ikka, mõned on paremad lood, mõned mitte. Mulle meeldisid kõige rohkem biitnik-slayer ja lugu Dotist ja Reginaldist.
Lisa
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
loved all of these short stories
Bunny
Jun 04, 2014 marked it as to-read-owned
There's something about finding a fandom book at a used book store that makes me happier than buying a brand new highly anticipated book.
Chris
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sorry to see this series of diversions end
Rachel
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buffy-books
the Nikki Wood story didn't work like the history I know, in this book, she was 18 when she got pregnant but she already had her son before she was called as a slayer.
Meagan E. Oltman
The short stories are all of the girls turning 18 and having their power taken away so they're all helpless and have to defeat some big bad vamp. So fun to read!
Michelle
Sep 10, 2012
Dina
Aug 02, 2013
Karen
rated it did not like it
Sep 16, 2011
Elleynor Bermudez-jackson
Jan 30, 2014
M. Phoenix
Apr 06, 2012
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 3 (Tales of the Slayer, #3)
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 2 (Tales of the Slayer, #2)
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 1 (Tales of the Slayer, #1)
  • Wicked Willow II: Shattered Twilight (Wicked Willow, #2)
  • Chosen (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Novelizations, #13)
  • Apocalypse Memories (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7-8, #2)
  • Blackout (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
  • Go Ask Malice: A Slayer's Diary (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 2, #9)
  • Crossings (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 5, #5)
  • Mortal Fear (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7-8, #3)
  • Spark and Burn (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7-8, #4)
  • Long Way Home (Unseen Trilogy, #3)
Michael Reaves is an Emmy Award-winning television writer and screenwriter whose many credits include Star Trek: The Next Generation, Twilight Zone, Batman: The Animated Series, and Gargoyles. His novels include the New York Times bestseller STAR WARS: Darth Maul- Shadowhunter and STAR WARS: Death Star. He and Neil Gaiman cowrote Interworld. Reaves has also written short fiction, comic books, and ...more

Tales of the Slayer (4 books)
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 1 (Tales of the Slayer, #1)
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 2 (Tales of the Slayer, #2)
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 3 (Tales of the Slayer, #3)