Start by marking “Tales of Terror from the Black Ship (Tales of Terror, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tales of Terror from the Black Ship (Tales of Terror, #2)

Tales of Terror from the Black Ship

(Tales of Terror #2)

A follow up to Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror, this is another creepy middle grade story collection with a chilling frame. This time, the stories are all tales of the sea: pirates and plagues and storms a plenty...
Published August 19th 2008 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

Sharon
Apr 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I was drawn to this book by the wonderful Gorey-esque drawings on the cover and once I picked it up, I could not put it down. As the title clearly says, these are tales of terror from the black ship. The stories are told within the framework of a severe storm, an inn perched on the top of a sea cliff, and two ill children left alone who open the door to a stranger. That these children have a penchant for frightening stories is somehow not surprising, nor is the stranger's apparently endless supp ...more
Jess
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, re-reads
Not nearly as atmospheric or gripping as Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror, but brilliantly macabre nonetheless. Although the short stories do improve throughout, they're a far cry from the more compelling tales that I know Chris Priestley can write. Worth the read, but the other two books in the trilogy are much better.
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another favourite from Priestley, can't wait to read the 3rd one.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This book of macabre tales connected with the sea reminds me of the short stories of William Hope Hodgson. Priestley writes in a Victorian, gothic style, and the eerie black and white drawings by David Roberts, reminiscent of those of Edward Gorey, add to that atmosphere. Cathy and Ethan are sick at the seaside inn where they live, waiting during a fearsome storm for their father to return with the doctor. A knock on the door brings a young sailor seeking shelter from the wind and rain--Thackera ...more
Serena.. Sery-ously?
Continuo a chiedermi se un libro del genere possa essere letto dai bambini, certe cose le ho trovate esageratamente macabre e splatter.. *Disagio*
Poi penso a quanto "L'autobus del brivido" mi abbia causato incubi da bambina e capisco che sono sempre stata rincoglionita, da questo punto di vista.. :D

Il finale è GENIALE. Adorato!
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
Another great collection of scary stories, this one has a nautical theme. Fantastic read for a Halloween read-aloud or listen to the audio version read by Bill Wallis. This series keeps getting better and better, I’m looking forward to reading the third book . 4.5 stars
Nidofito
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Though the individual stories are not as frightening as its prequel nor the ending as satisfying, it still gives you chill and makes you second guess your decision to read it alone late at night. Recommended for both young and mature horror fans!
lethe
3.5 stars.

This book has the same structure as Priestley's earlier Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror. After an introductory chapter setting the stage and introducing the main characters, each chapter consists of a gruesome tale and a preamble to the next tale. In this case the setting is an inn standing on a promontory precariously connected to the rest of Cornwall. The characters are the children of the innkeeper, who has left them to fetch a doctor while a terrible storm is raging, and a mysteri
poppyshake
This is the sequel to the wonderful 'Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror' which I read last year. Being a bit of a scaredy cat, this book, which is really a childrens book (age range 9-12 approx), is about as scary as I go without needing to leave the light on at night.
It's a collection of short stories told to two children on a dark stormy night by a stranger who needs shelter from the raging storm outside.
As in the previous book, some tales are scarier than others .... 'The Scrimshaw Imp', 'Irezu
Linda Inês
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Adorei este livro e não sei bem explicar porquê. Apenas adorei. Recomendo muito!
Jasmin
Schaurig schön mit einem absolut unerwarteten Ende. Das Buch strotzt nur so vor Phantasie und hat mich völlig in den Bann gezogen. Leicht und schnell zu lesen.
Jane
Last week the Cornish coast was lashed by storms.

I was tucked up at home with a book, with waves outside crashing against the sea wall and being forced up over the promenade and the road. Our garden was soaked by the spray and the downstairs windows got a salt water rinse.

It’s a marvellous sight when you’re inside, secure in the knowledge that your home has withstood a multitude of storms over a hundred years and more.

And in the pages of my book two children looked out on a similar storm.

Ethan a
Sam
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, loved everything about this book, the writing was superb and perfectly balanced and the illustrations are fantastically and darkly Gothic. Consisting of eleven stories told through the hears of Ethan and Cathy and the voice of Thackeray as they wait out a vicious storm in The Old Inn that clings to the cliff top above the storm battered seas. This book is chillingly atmospheric as Thackeray weaves and winds his words into tales of terror, anticipation and dread on the high sea ...more
Hilâl
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
İlk kitabı gerçekten beğenmiştim, karakterin adının Edgar olması ( :D ), genel olarak hikayeleri ve çocukların da doğuştan kötü olması gibi hoş ayrıntıları vardı. Bu da iyi bir kitaptı, denizcilik-korsan hikayeleri severim, ama tekrara çok sık düştü maalesef... Birkaç tane sivrilen hikaye de vardı ama. Özellikle son kısım ve Oyma Şeytanı güzeldi. Hatta birkaç iyi detay eklense Oyma Şeytanı'ndan iyi bir roman bile çıkabilirdi...

Gotik-korku sever olarak her şekilde okurdum ben gerçi, nitekim okudu
Chiara
3,5 stelline in realtà.
Non mi aspettavo molto da questo libro (che ammetto, ho comprato per la copertina e le pagine nere XD), mentre in realtà è ben scritto scorrevole. Le varie storie che compongono il romanzo sono TUTTE interessanti, alcune veramente macabre. Il finale è assolutamente geniale e un po' malinconico.
Spero di riuscire a rintracciare il volume precedente, ma per il momento sembra sparito dalla circolazione :(
Jamie Arthur
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Korsanlar , boğularak can verme , deniz yaratıkları beni her zaman korkutmuştur. Priestley'nin bu kitabı da korkularıma tuz biber oldu. Kara Gemi hikayesi beni gerçekten korkuttu , diğer hikayeler de fena değildi.
Serinin ilk kitabında yer alan Urfa'daki Cinler hikayesi hala listemde bir numara ama :D
Rosa
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophisticated, melancholy young people with a taste for the sea
Amazing.
Stephanieslaven
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am not normally a fan of creepy or scary stories but these are great- well written with a few twists.
Kayleigh Offley
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After reading ‘Uncle Montegue’s Tales of Terror’ by Chris Priestley,I was really excited to see ‘Tales of Terror from the Black Ship’ in my local library! I checked it out straightaway read it immediately!

‘Tales of Terror from the Black Ship’ follows sibling Cathy and Ethan. When the siblings fall ill during a terrible storm their father is forced to leave them and find a doctor. They live in an inn by the sea, and it is not long before a storm drenched sailor comes knocking at the door seeking
Mel
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, ghosts, anthology
Once again Chris Priestley presents us with a selection of ghostly tales covering a variety of sea-related monsters and frights linked together by an intriguing tale of two sick children waiting for their father to return with the doctor. I enjoyed the previous tale – Uncle Montague’s Tales of Terror (reviewed here), but I definitely preferred these selection of tales. The ongoing theme of nautical terror was a strong link between stories – after all what is scarier than being trapped on a ship ...more
Dannielle Potts
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Great As Stand Alone Tales As Well As Being Able To Link The Larger Story Together. A Twist That I Saw Coming And One That I Didn’t But This Wouldn’t Be Obvious To Readers Of A Younger Age
Andrew
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok how to describe this book - well i would say its gothic suspense (would not say horror that is too harsh and in the case of this book too blunt a label) for beginners, Yes the book is a YA title and is one of a number of such titles aimed at the younger reader to instil fear and suspense in them - i guess it does not take a genius to realise what has happened and where the underlying story is going (it is told a series of tales related by a weary traveller - yes we have come across these sort ...more
George Darby
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Intense, gripping, and flowing are the words i would use to describe this frightening book. At no point was i tired of reading it and had no trouble following the basic plot line which, in its case, worked. Each tale in each chapter began a new burst of imagination and wonder that hooked me to every character in every plot line. This is certainly a quick easy read but also goes into detail about the main characters, especially Thackeray, which gave me more characters feelings to think about. But ...more
Miss Bookiverse
Hat mir um einiges besser gefallen als der Vorgänger (Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror). Die Rahmenhandlung war nicht so klischeehaft (Onkel erzählt Gruselgeschichten) und die Kurzgeschichten selbst hatten viel bessere Enden.
Der Stil passt zum Buch, wirkt ein wenig altbacken und hat mich daher ab und zu gelangweilt. Die Ideen für die Geschichten sind aber alle ziemlich cool und die Zeichnungen von David Roberts sind wieder absolute Highlights.

Insgesamt Tendenz zu 4 Sternen, also 3.5 :)
Catherine
Dec 12, 2009 rated it liked it
The horror stories were pretty good and scary by themselves, though as an adult reader, I wanted them to be longer with greater use of descriptions and details. The narrator, a young boy by the name of Ethan, was aggravating. He states the same emotions and reactions over and over and over and at every new chapter, there he is with the same restatement of the same emotions.

But as far as scary stories go, I found these to be appropriately scary!
Chris
The frame for this collection of short stories is rather predictable. The individual tales themselves are better, though the first Uncle Montague book was better. I do wonder why all the short stories and the frame have male central characters. The stories channel Poe, James, and LeFanu. The book is stocked with literary references. Artwork reminds one of Gorey.
Ficie
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
A collection of very entertaining, and often unpredictable, scary tales set in the world of pirates and mariners.
I didn't give it 5 stars only because the final tale - which frames all the others - was unfortunately not as original and surprising as the rest, reminding me instead of (view spoiler).
✘Tabby✘
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-book, kindle
THE REVIEW

Why this book?

Another story for Halloween

What I thought

I didn't like this one as much as I liked Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror. But the stories were still somewhat enjoyable. I skimmed over a couple that couldn't hold my interest though. With that said the ending was shocking I got to admit that. Overall an ok read
Hafsa Sabira
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So far this is my most favorite book from Tales of Terror series. What can I say.... This book deserves a lot more praise that I can express with my words. This is not so different from the other books of the series in terms of narrative but the ending was definitely a surprise!

A must read for those who like horror stories.
Sally
Quite creepy if predictable. I liked the first book and probably liked this one more. Some of the stories were quite eerie and clever and others I have heard before but the author puts a new spin in many of them with the seafaring theme. I particularly enjoyed the snail story! Not a challenging book but light, entertaining and a bit disturbing.
  • Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)
  • More Horowitz Horror: More Stories You'll Wish You'd Never Read
  • The Mystery in the Cave (The Boxcar Children, #50)
  • Puppet Master
  • The Thornthwaite Inheritance (Thornthwaite, #1)
  • The Icy Hand (Something Wickedly Weird, #2)
  • The River
  • The Haunted Hotel & Other Stories
  • The Snow Sister
  • The Haunting
  • The Siren's Cry (The Otherworldlies #2)
  • The Intruders
  • O Livro Do Ano
  • The Long Weekend
  • Ministry of Pandemonium
  • The Girl Behind the Glass
  • The Wolf Tree (The Clockwork Dark, #2)
His father was in the army and so he moved around a lot as a child and lived in Wales. He was an avid reader of American comics as a child, and when he was eight or nine, and living in Gibraltar, he won a prize in a newspaper story-writing competition. He decided then “that my ambition was to write and illustrate my own book”.
He spent his teens in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, before moving to Manchester,

Tales of Terror (5 books)
  • Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror, #1)
  • Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth (Tales of Terror, #3)
  • The Teacher's Tales of Terror
  • Christmas Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror)
“Some people give off a scent of danger that the wise know and avoid and that the foolish are drawn to.” 0 likes
“You should try never to be sure of things.” 0 likes