Start by marking “Nyssa Glass and the House of Mirrors (Nyssa Glass, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nyssa Glass and the House of Mirrors (Nyssa Glass, #1)

Nyssa Glass and the House of Mirrors

(Nyssa Glass #1)

Nyssa Glass is a reformed cat burglar turned electrician's apprentice, settled into a life repairing videophones and radio-sets. However, when her past comes calling, she finds herself forced into one last job. No one has entered Professor Dalhart's secluded mansion in almost a decade, at least not and returned to tell the tale. If Nyssa wants to ensure her freedom, she'll ...more
Published March 20th 2016 (first published March 6th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Nyssa Glass and the House of Mirrors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nyssa Glass and the House of Mirrors

Len Evans Jr
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Wow... this was just awesome. Not only is the world the author created interesting and richly detailed her characters are so very complex and full of surprises. I loved Hart/Ellis from the start and although I figured out they were one and the same before Nyssa did in the story, it was totally cool because I am pretty sure the auther intended it that way. This story was full of action, puzzles and tension. The whole creepy house with scary robots thing was tense enough add crazed killer/burglers ...more
L.R.W. Lee
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars! Creative. Engaging. Well written. These adjectives summarize well the fun steampunk novel, Nyssa Glass and the House of Mirrors by H. L. Burke.

I’ve never read anything by H. L. Burke before but when she offered her latest release to me for an honest review, I thought I’d check it out and I’m glad I did, for this fun adventure did not disappoint.

I love steampunk for the creativity authors show re: inventions in the Victorian era that could have been. This novel captured Burke’s vivid i
m a r y l i z
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This story was not what I was expecting. Honestly, I'm not sure what I expected--a steampunk story with mystery and excitement and creepy mansions, maybe?

Well, this is kind of like that...but really, it just felt like a rather boring sci-fi book.

The whole plot seemed to revolve around technology and computers and I'm just over here like, "Um, can we not talk about technical stuff PLEASE AND THANK YOU." In case any of you didn't know, I'm not a very techy person. Maybe if I had known this story
Dale
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this story was very charming. A great intro to steampunk also if someone hasn't delved into it before. The main character Nyssa is a reformed thief with very redeeming qualities. The flow of the story pulls you along the current and draws you towards the end of the book. It was hard to put down. Good job by the author in making this shorter story not feel rushed.
Kellyn Roth
Okay ... that was amazing! I had no idea it would be so good. (Although, I adore steampunk. I've read like half a dozen steampunk books now ... okay, mostly just this series ...)

Nyssa was beyond a doubt the most amazing character I've read in a long time! I really adored her. I actually *coughs* doubted the author's ability to write this character. ;P I know, I know, that's a mean thing to say, but I did! As I saw Heidi talk about Nyssa's personality, I was just like, "There is no way on heaven
A. Powers
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: look-for-sequel
A well-deserved 5+ stars!
I’ve never read a steampunk novel before, so I really had no idea what to expect when I picked up this book. But I’ve read other books by H.L. Burke (including fairy tales, dragon tales, and one of my all-time favorites, Beggar Magic) and love her writing style in general, so I figured that it would be a nice introduction to the genre for me. It’s no surprise that I was not disappointed at all.

Nyssa Glass is a reformed cat burglar who has obtained a good education, than
E. Writes
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Super fun and rollicking puzzle-style adventure with traps and dangers to avoid, plus a rewarding twist at the end for a surprise reveal! You'll be slightly scared this plot won't turn out well... and perhaps I shouldn't spoil the suspense... but suffice it to say that Nyssa Glass and the House of Mirrors is a great book with a super fun over all result.

I received a Review Copy for my honest opinion... and I'm glad I did, because this was one fun read!
Kate Willis
May 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Kate needs to read more steampunk.
So she did.

I really loved the worldbuilding in this. Everything felt properly steampunky, and, even though a lot of it was foreign to me, I was never confused. Also, now I need to play some dressup… XD

The characters in this really shone. The more I learned about Mr. C, the more I loved him. His influence on Nyssa was subtle but so real, and it was exciting to see her faint knowledge of God strengthen as the story went on. Nyssa was a very cool character--fierce
Laurie Lucking
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Nyssa was such a fun character, and I was so intrigued as she delved into the mysteries within Dalhart's mansion. Some aspects were pretty dark, but Nyssa's witty banter with Hart kept it from feeling too dreary. If you're looking for a steampunk adventure with mystery and a strong heroine, I would highly recommend Nyssa Glass!
Savannah Jezowski
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I haven’t read anything yet by Ms. Burke that I haven’t enjoyed. This book was no exception. In turn, it makes you laugh, makes you shiver, makes you sniff, makes you sigh, and makes you want more at the end. Looking forward to the other books in this series!
Mike Billington
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
In her fast-moving tale "Nyssa Glass and the House of Mirrors" author H.L. Burke has combined elements of Steampunk, science fiction, horror, and romance to fashion an interesting read with a winsome heroine.
Nyssa has a shady past, which is not entirely her fault. Orphaned at a young age, she is shoved into a life of crime by circumstance more than desire. That doesn't prevent her from becoming very, very good at her "job" as a cat burglar, however. Caught one night while breaking into a store,
Sarah White
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nyssa Glass and the House of Mirrors held me riveted from the start and delivered one of the most beautiful and satisfying endings I’ve read in a long time.

The characters are gems. Nyssa’s past and her determination to escape it are compelling, and her intelligence and heart make her easy to root for. Hart is fun and intriguing from the start, and while I guessed the truth about him early on, it was still very satisfying to see how his story played out. The human antagonists get surprisingly lit
Deborah O'Carroll
So fun! It's like a steampunk/sci-fi mystery with heist elements, a spunky heroine, and a mysterious creepy old mansion with technology and traps, and a Doctor-Who-type feeling going on (Cybermen or Daleks, anyone? o.o Not quite, but really.), not to mention a TOTALLY AWESOME COMPUTER NAMED HART. (Hart is the best and I love his character so much. Ahem.) I guessed the twist but it was super cool, so. :P Plus it's a novella, so I read it in a sitting, which is handy! And it was FUNNY. Like, serio ...more
Abby Jones
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Take lots of adventure, mix in a robots, a haunted house, plenty of steampunk-ness, a snarky computer, and a reformed pickpocket and what do you get? Nyssa Glass and the House of Mirrors!

Following her normal pattern Burke again provides a fun, enjoyable, quick adventure that is perfect for a Friday night into the wee hours of Saturday morning. Grab a bowl of popcorn and some chocolate and snuggle in for a grand time.

I loved this book because the adventure had a nice mix of horror which wasn’t ov
S.M. Spencer
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was my first "steam-punk" book, so I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the genre, or just the author, but I absolutely LOVED this book! Fast paced, action packed, flawless writing and such an amazing imagination! I loved all the characters, particularly Nyssa & Hart ... Can't wait 'til someone makes this into a film as it would be a good one, and I can claim to be one of the early readers.

Five stars without a doubt.
Mariel Chambers
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book

So full of twists and unexpected surprises. I literally did not want to put this book down. The imagery was great and plot was excellent.
Valery
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Right off the bat I fell in love with this book, despite the fact that it is NOT Science Fiction. It has all the right qualities; exciting, great plot line, and memorable characters. Plus, it was simply a fun read! And no major grammar errors,  which was quite refreshing!

There are a couple of gruesome scenes, but they are necessary to the story and the scene is not depicted in detail.

I do have one complaint, however.
It wasn't quite clear, but at one point it seems that Nyssa gets shocked by a
Devann
The prequel story for this series was so short that I still wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this first full-length installment, but I definitely ended up enjoying it. Nyssa is a fun protagonist and I enjoyed how the story was set up with her having to go through the house and solve different puzzles [it kind of reminded me of a video game, which I'm sure isn't everyone's cup of tea in book format but I thought it worked nicely here]. Hart/Ellis was a great addition as well and I'm defin ...more
Jason C.
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, steampunk
This was a fun story. It had twists that I did not see coming. I've been wanting to check out HL Burke for a while and I'm glad I jumped in with this steampunk story. I'm interested in checking out more by her.
Katie Clark
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was so fun. It took me a couple chapters to get into the story, but it was so worth it. I loved all the details and sciencey bits. Super fun book!
Tamara Grantham
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super fun story. A different take on a steampunk world. I really enjoyed it. Never dragged. Highly recommended!
N.W. Moors
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nyssa Glass and the House of Mirrors by H.L. Burke is a YA Steampunk story full of twists and turns. Nyssa is an electrical apprentice working in a shop on Clockwork Row that repairs videophones, radios, and signal sending devices. It's a step up from the cat burglar that she once was.
The book starts with a mysterious man who comes into the shop to procure Nyssa's services, but not as a repair person. He's looking for a burglar. When Nyssa doesn't agree, she is forced to escape where she falls i
Camilla
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
It took little coaxing to get me to dive into this story. Between the cover art, the title, and the steampunk premise, I was thrilled when I was able to get it and dive in. From the first words of the first chapter, I was riveted. There is nothing tacky or uninteresting about it. Action, adventure, mystery, with a great dose of humor and the minutest smidge of romance, it all works like getting men, dragons, automatons, and unicorns to coexist together in a steampunk world.

Nyssa Glass is such a
Kristen Kooistra
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my third Burke book, and so far it’s my favorite! Nyssa Glass is sixteen, but she had this “old” feel to her that made her really easy to relate too. The story takes place over one day, but wow is it the craziest day.

I’m still sad about the first death! I didn’t see that coming at all and even though the story had just started I really liked that character! There’s a lot of death(most of it referencing people that had died before the story started) and if you stop to think about some of
Heather Hayden
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A clear 5 stars! I've loved every book I've read by Burke so far and her latest one didn't disappoint! In fact, it's become my favorite (next to Thaddeus Whiskers and the Dragon, of course, because who can resist an adorable fluffy kitten?)

Nyssa, the main protagonist, puts the spunk in steampunk, and her courage and intelligence keeps her going as the plot begins to heat up...starting with the murder of her mentor, a kindly electrician who took in a young thief and taught her his trade.

Her own l
K.M. Carroll
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fast read--maybe too fast

This is a quick read, about 150 pages. My biggest complaint is that it moves TOO fast–I wanted more background detail, more worldbuilding, that kind of thing. But if you’re in the mood for a speedy read, this book suits the bill.

It’s supposed to be steampunk, but there’s computers, and I just couldn’t buy steampunk computers. Maybe I just haven’t read enough of the genre or something, but it felt more 1960s than 1860s to me.

Those issues aside, I enjoyed the various tra
Julieann Couture
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story! Nyssa stole my heart from page one, the antagonists were perfectly dislikable, and I adored the banter between the Nyssa and the other protagonist(shhh, not telling, because spoilers!).

The story kept me sucked in, laughing, 'aww!'ing, and flipping pages long after I should have been asleep. I really enjoyed the style. It was an interesting twist on what I'm used to seeing in 'traditional' steam punk stories, incorporating elements of both steam punk and gear punk/c
Shannon Rasche
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
H.L. Burke has created a marvelous beginning to a new YA series in Nyssa Glass and the House of Mirrors. I was hooked from the opening pages to the very last line.

The main character, Nyssa, is strong and intelligent, instantly finding her way into my heart. The inner workings of her mind as she faces the challenges placed in front of her--using her experiences as a former thief--adds a layer to her character that is very intriguing and personal.

Hart is utterly hilarious and his sarcarsm is endea
D.W. Frauenfelder
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of things going for it. Nyssa, the main character, is smart, tech-savvy, and tender at the proper times, and Burke has presented for her a set piece in the elaborately wired and booby-trapped mansion where mirrors are used in an innovative way. Nyssa has to find a solution to a number of puzzles and predicaments, and it's a worthy search.

It's not classic Steampunk. There is a lot of twenty-first century tech in it without being explained by steam and gears, and if you're look
Marc Secchia
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A reformed thief with a shady past is forced to take on one last job in this intriguing steampunk tale from H.L.Burke. Although this is a short work, and I join the queue of those begging for more, the world-building is meticulous and well thought-out, and the narrative moves at a good pace.

Nyssa is our moral thief, blackmailed and coerced into penetrating a shady mansion in search of an inventor's secrets. This is where I think the length worked against the tale somewhat - we didn't have time t
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Tinker's War (The Tinkerer's Daughter, #2)
  • Mind Writer
  • Chasing Christmas Past (The Airship Racing Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Once: Six Historically Inspired Fairytales
  • The League of Seven (The League of Seven, #1)
  • A Dream Not Imagined
  • The Merman and the Moon Forgotten (Nikolas and Company, #1)
  • The Beast of Talesend (Beaumont and Beasley, #1)
  • Obsidian Eyes
  • The Nullification Engine (The Alchemancer #2)
  • The Queen B* and the Homecoming King (The Queen B*, #3)
  • A Matter of Circumstance and Celludrones (Dark Matters, #1)
  • Power of the Heir's Passion (Andy Smithson, #0.5)
  • Joss the Seven (Guild of Sevens #1)
  • A Case of Poisons (Anthony Maxwell #1)
  • Steamsworn (Steamborn, #3)
  • Sentinel (Sentinel Trilogy, #1)
  • The Griffin's Boy (The Griffin Riders' Chronicles, #1)
Born in a small town in north central Oregon, H. L. Burke spent most of her childhood around trees and farm animals and was always accompanied by a book. Growing up with epic heroes from Middle Earth and Narnia keeping her company, she also became an incurable romantic.

An addictive personality, she jumped from one fandom to another, being at times completely obsessed with various books, movies, o

Nyssa Glass (4 books)
  • Nyssa Glass and the Juliet Dilemma (Nyssa Glass, #2)
  • Nyssa Glass and the Cutpurse Kid (Nyssa Glass, #3)
  • Nyssa Glass and the Electric Heart
“Whoever had set up this security system had somehow incorporated biological and man-made components. She’d heard such things theorized, but no one had even come close.” 2 likes
“This place is as dead as dice. Nothing safer to rob than a grave, if you can push past the creep factor.” 1 likes