Start by marking “General SS:” as Want to Read:
General SS:

General SS:

(Legion of the Damned #8)

Er heerst een ijzige kou, 38 graden onder nul. Stalingrad winter 1942-43. Een ijzige wind jaagt over de steppe en blaast de ijssplinters in ons gezicht. We marcheren langs duizenden bevroren lijken. Voor de colonne uit marcheert de stille en introverte Generaal SS. Hij is woedend. Dat weten we al lang. Een fanaticus, die strijdend wil sterven. En de Generaal SS wil zoveel

Published January 1st 1969 by MHAbooks

To ask other readers questions about General SS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about General SS

Start your review of General SS:
Phil
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: action fans
I had limped along with my well-thumbed copy of 'Comrades Of War' for years before one day, in a used book store in Burbank, I encountered this and several other Sven Hassel novels in the dusty, cluttered shelves. Until the internet Hassel's books were a lucky find. This was a lucky find. It places the gang, Sven, Tiny, the Legionaire, Porta, the Old Man and the rest in Stalingrad. They're surrounded. They're starving. They've been ordered not to retreat. Bad scene. They are rescued by an SS ...more
Yanper
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Περιγραφή της ζωής κάποιων Γερμανών στρατιωτών στον ΒΠαγκόσμιο πόλεμο και στην Μάχη τουΣτάλινγκραντ. Δεν μπορώ να πω ότι ήταν και κάτι ιδιαίτερο. ...more
David  Ioan
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SS General is a great novel written by Sven Hassel, a Danish soldier who fought in The 27th Penal Panzer Regiment. This book describes the atrocities in Stalingrad during WW2.

The plot is a bit fictional (from what I know, Waffen-SS didn't participate in the battle of Stalingrad).
Sven and his comrades are trying to escape from the battle, being helped by a SS general.

If you want to read about the complete stupidity of war and the pure incompetence of the generals and higher ups whose decisions
carl  theaker

A guilty pleasure - my dad had these books on this shelf for years and I'd
peak at them for some reason they seemed forbidden.

They are a fun read, a kind of WW2 pulp fiction, all from the
perspective of a German penal unit. Wild, realistic, most the time,
and oddly poignant for such a tale.

A lot of controversy surrounds the author, was he a real
soldier in the Wehrmacht? a con-man? Adds to the allure.
Procyon Lotor
8th SS-General chapter by chapter: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1. The Bridge Story of the SS dealing with the SA in 1934. Section travelling in tanks in the vacinity of Stalingrad. Tiny and Heide have a fight (Heide is dealt with). Contact with T34s. Description of situation in Stalingrad. Incessant rain, mud, mould. Description of recruits. Talk of Italian and Rumanian troops. Mission to blow up Russian bridge. Description of bog/marsh and ...more
David Miller
Any Hassel book is worth reading: a shot of adrenalin after other, lesser military novelists. This one includes two plot lines. Each chapter starts with a vignette of a key point in SS history, starting from the Night of the Long Knives, the event that brought Heinrich Himmler to prominence over Ernst Rohm. The meat of the chapter is our gang's Stalingrad experiences. The famously horrific siege of Stalingrad finished with the complete destruction of the German 6th Army.

These books are driven by
Mati
Dec 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, military
I came across name Sven Hassel, while reading some review on Leo Kesslers book and grabbed SS General. The book is written in crispy language with all gruesome of hunger, war, winter and Stalingrad. Group of soldier from penal regiment was stuck in the horrid eastern front and like a miracle they found the way out. General SS who saw no point in fanatical and useless deaths in Stalingrad pulled group of survivors and lead them across the steppe to the safety. The story is very strong and ...more
C. A. Powell
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sven Hassel stories seem to have a mixture of everything. They can be horrific and vile under conditions of a savage conflict. They can also be very funny because his friends are wonderfully portrayed in his first person singular narration. This is pulp war story telling at its best and was very gripping.

The characters are very special and the reader will easily like them all.
Anna
Jul 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sven-hassel
Hassel shows the toughness of the front line and fanatism that cost lives of thousands. Nice and entertaining. I think the stories about the war especially for teenagers and those have just little information should have similiar form.
Andreas Schmidt
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
E' un altro libro che non ha né precedenti, né successori e altro non è che una episodio localizzato nel tempo. E' la storia di Stalingrado, dove il gruppo di tedeschi lotta per sopravvivere. Il libro narra di questa battaglia sconsiderata, in cui Hitler noncurante di tutto avrebbe voluto che la Sesta Armata di Paulus avesse combattuto fino all'ultimo uomo. Infatti, tra le solite vicende di ordinaria amministrazione per gli uomini in armi del 27°, si vedono gesti di follia e di sconsideratezza. ...more
Amélie
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is will not only be my first review of the year but also my first book review on Goodreads. I have always thought a first must be spectacular, it must render every feeling and emotion that you'd feel throughout the length of such an amazing book. I wish I could describe and explain why I felt so bond with "SS General" by Sven Hassel, having dealt under no circumstance with an event so terrible such as war.
But I know why I loved this book and why Sven Hassel has become one of my favourite
John Freeman
I devoured the Sven Hassel novels when I was in high school, 45 years ago. They made visceral the history of the Second World War and the brutality of the Nazis. Reading SS General again, years later, there is almost a pulp fiction quality to the never-ending, seemingly impossible situations that Sven and his squad of comrades find themselves in. However, many soldiers survived impossible situations. Hassel lets us glimpse those struggles through the eyes of his characters.
Rupert Matthews
I quite enjoyed this book. My main criticism is that was all a bit disjointed. It read as if it were 4 or 5 short stories strung together, with a few stand-alone anecdotes thrown in for good measure - not really a novel as such. All pretty thrilling and interesting but an odd book all round. Still, the action scenes are well handled and the central cast of characters are well drawn and engage the reader's attention very well.
Brian Turner
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
Sven and his unit find themselves in Stalingrad as they are slowly whittled down during the intense fighting.
Has the usual cast of characters and they are well written.
Supposedly written from first hand experience, he focuses on the small things that keep them together as orders come down from people with no idea of the conditions.
Hans-Petter
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leste den norske utgaven
Andrew
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another classic page turner from the master, merging the darkest grimness of war with the relentless black humour of his weary regular protagonists. Pulp fiction, but imaginative and flawless in its execution.
Vergast
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you know haow hard it is to find these books?
I mean if your like me and wont buy books online for fear of reciving a credit card bill that resembles the national debt in size and magnatude.
Well the answer is extreamly hard.
The only other Sven Hassel book I have found was a beat up copy of 'Reign of Fire' someone carelessly left on their coffee table, and which I aquired after a convient diversion created by the family dog.

The books are quite good. Sometimes funny, sometimes horrible,
Patrick Neylan
I thought I'd read all Hassel's books years ago, but this one was unfamiliar. The pleasant surprise is that by the time of this, his eighth book, he had developed his skills as a novelist. The early books are fascinating for their genuine, albeit fictionalised, account of Hassel's actual experiences. SS General, on the other hand, is complete fiction, albeit within the very real environmnet of Stalingrad and the Don steppe (neither Hassel nor the SS were at Stalingrad).

Although the narrative,
Morgane Zephyr
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Usually, the Second World War was certainly not one of my favorite piece of history cake. It is bitter, anxious, hard-boiled over-chewed topic with all the negative aspects and connotation of humanity. We all know our facts and if it is spoken about people, it is mostly about the holocaust horrors.
So I liked this soldier's story. I liked it a lot.
There he is, the main face of the story, he doesn't even want to be in all this mess he's pushed in, and he certainly doesn't share enthusiasm with his
Ruth
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
April 19, 1917 Barcelona September 21, 2012. Nice succinct description from Wikipedia - "Involves the 27th (Penal) Panzer Regiment composed of expendable soldiers - sentenced criminals, court-martialed soldiers and political undesirables." "It was no joyride, being in a motorised sledge driven by Porta. The thing weighed three tons and he flung it up and down, from side to side, with the same recklessness as if he were on a car at a funfair. We shot up hills like fire-balls from the cannon's ...more
Handrick
"- Den satans snön gör mig vansinnig! Mina ögon värker. Varför är snön vit?

- Vad fan! vrålar Lillebror. Vilken färg skulle den annars ha? Har du någonsin sett svart snö?

De släpar mig mellan sig. Porta räcker mig sin fältflaska. Jag dricker glupskt. Nu är vi snart vid Don, och sedan är vi hemma! Jag stramar upp mig. Maskingeväret har blivit lättare. Vodkan har gett mig nytt livsmod. När man upplevt Rysslands polarvinter och brännande heta somrar, förstår man, varför ryssarna älskar sin vodka."
Marius Voila
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sven Hassel manages to capture the pure essence of survival in a world gone mad. his stories are realistically horrific yet can capture your mind in a book, which after reading through the first few chapters, you won't want to stop reading it, and once you've finished, you want more.
Lis
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La tremenda ritirata tedesca da Stalingrado. Con il suo solito stile, Hassel descrive le atrocità e le pazzie vissute dall'esercito tedesco nel momento della sconfitta più grossa. Privazioni, ordini assurdi, disperazione, cannibalismo...e un pizzico di ironia.
Jorgen Lundgren
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, war
Read all of his books found in the local library years ago. I now seems to start to pick them up again. Raw but witty.
Emily Olson
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was excellently written. You could easily imagine yourself slogging along over the steppes and through the forests. I recommend it highly.
Matt
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
Another good Sven book
Wendy
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So happy now that these books have been re-released! I've read and retread this one several times over 20years along with two others I owned, now I'm getting them all and love them just as much!!
Stephen Coleman
A break from the norm but an interesting insight to how things might have been for the Germans in Russia.
Honza
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sven-hassel
Good
Goodreads Librari...: Add cover photo, info and combine 3 33 Oct 27, 2019 11:41AM

• Moara cu Noroc
  • O scrisoare pierdută
  • Endex 2: Uncut
  • One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer
  • Ion
  • Moromeții I (Moromeții, #1)
  • Borgia !
  • Les Pardaillan
  • The Assassins: A Radical Sect in Islam
  • The New Achilles (Commander #1)
  • Gigi and The Cat
  • Iona
  • Le Souffle court
  • Blood Red Snow: The Memoirs of a German Soldier on the Eastern Front
  • Διηγήματα τρόμου
  • Morningstar
  • Trouble Is What I Do
  • Morții nu vor apă
Hassel served in the Danish merchant navy till 1937, when he moved to Germany to join the army. He served with the second Panzer Division stationed at Eisenach and in 1939 was a tank driver during the invasion of Poland. A year later he attempted to escape because of being mentally exhausted. He was transferred to a Sonderabteilung, a penal unit manned by criminals and dissidents. He served with ...more

Legion of the Damned (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Legion of the Damned