Start by marking “Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 1

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 1

(Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide #1)

As long as there have been vampires, there has been the Slayer. One girl in all the world, to find them where they gather and to stop the spread of their evil and the swell of their members. She is the Slayer.
Published October 1st 1998 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Courtney Wells
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I remember begging for this book because - you know - Buffy rules!

And such continued my uber-fangirl-otaku penchant for trivia scrounging. Sailor Moon started it...
Joey Woolfardis
Volume One of The Watcher's Guide covers the two series of the fantasy television show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's a great accompaniment that gives you more information about the characters and monsters that feature in the episode, as well as background and in-depth synopsis' of each episode.

It's set out in a decent logical order which makes it very easy to dip in and out of. Whilst the photographs are in black and white in general, there is an insert with some promos and behind-the-scenes ph
Rachel Sheehan
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly entertaining. The book contained quotes, information about Sunnydale locations (like the Bronze), an episode guide of the first two seasons, character guides, a section about the relationships in these seasons, such as Buffy/Angel, Xander/Cordelia, Willow/Oz, etc., a monster guide including vampires and demons, music played in each episode, and Behind the scenes with the cast, the writers, and the crew. This book was packed with information about the show and the behind the scenes sec ...more
unknown
Ah yes, the before time. The Long Long Ago. Before wikipedia. I think I read this book cover to cover about three times back when Buffy was still on and the idea of owning a whole season on DVD was but a pipe dream (says the guy who bought poor quality tapes of seasons one and two from someone on eBay.) (Oh but the commercials from the San Francisco TV station were fun.)

This book provides good episode summaries, episode trivia, and tidbits on the makeup and costumes and stuff. Which you can just
BookLoversLife
Shelves: free
Susan Duncan
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-sortable
I don't usually like behind the scenes type things but this was very very good. Not only does it break down every episode but you get to understand just how the magic of Buffy came together from start to finish. Avid Buffy fans should definitely read this.
Kaitlin Winnie
Who read this over and over and over to the point of memorization back in middle school? I did.
Brittany
Jun 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Buffy fans new & old
How I Came To Read This Book: I was an avid Buffy fan and naturally picked up all 3 volumes of the Watcher’s Guide.

The Plot: More accurately, the concept is this: an episode guide with behind-the-scenes facts on the first two seasons of the series, plus character / actor / show / Sunnydale / memorable quote guides. Plus some colour photograph inserts of the stars. Basically a nice little almanac of the beginning of the show.

The Good & The Bad: The three Watcher’s Guides are actually all pre
Maria
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I remember reading this because my kid brother was the biggest fan I ever met that anything Buffy related, he either owned it or was about to, and he graciously lent me his copy under the guise that I can't eat or drink while reading it and that I needed to treat it like my baby. Lol.

This book provides in-depth episode summaries, trivia, and all sorts of information on makeup, costumes, locations, sets, among the character guides. I really enjoyed this behind the scenes look at what turned out t
Tara Lynn
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
So having just finished Julie and Julia, I've rediscovered my love for Buffy, the one girl in all the world...(If you have no clue what I'm talking about, stop reading, and go out and get two things: Buffy season I, and Julie and Julia. Both are very funny, although only one involves a hot cast and gratuitous violence.)

I actually managed to get through all of this in a day. (I was in bed, nursing arthritic hips I still hate to admit having. Damn you, JRA! I smite thee!) Anyway, there's nothing l
Faye Ducker
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I adore Buffy and I'm a sucker for trivia so I totally devoured this book.

As it was released alongside the show, it is so gloriously 90s and it was enjoyable to read the writers, actors etc pondering what would be in store for the world's greatest TV programme in the future.
Devon
Feb 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
One of my favorite television shows...arguably my favorite of all time. The Watcher's Guide, in my case, is essential!
Rosie
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I am a huge Buffy fan, since it first aired. I love reading the background books and collecting the series. This is a nice companion guide to the episodes, with info on the music, cast and creatures.
Tasha Louise
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for Buffy fans, it has everything you could want, episode synopsis, fun facts, actors biographies etc
Olivia Ambrose
Fun read for any Buffy fan, but I mean it's pretty much printed Wikipedia pages. You can get most of this information off the internet nowadays. Obviously it was written before that was a thing, and there a some really fun tidbits that I didn't know before. Not earth-shattering, but a fun read.
Becky Bullock
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
More aimed at kids, it’s a bit childish. Interesting guide book but not for adult fans.
Don
Mar 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
I shouldn't like to use the word "worthless". But this book is pretty much everything I DON'T want from an episode guide: Lengthy plot recaps, pages and pages and pages and PAGES of quotes, script excerpts copied verbatim - because, y'know, it's not like I haven't already watched the show, right? How about some NEW information?

The only part of the book that you couldn't have gleaned just from watching the series itself is the "Behind the Scenes" section in the last third, particularly the interv
Craig
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Here's another one of those annoying posts where instead of a review there's going to be a statement having nothing to do with the quality of the book. Back in the day when Pocket was publishing a new Buffy or Angel paperback every month, for quite a while they ran a contest where you could remove a sweepstakes card inserted in the book, fill it out and mail it in to enter, and be in the running for one of several prize packages. There was an age limit on it and I was too old, so I used my daugh ...more
Michelle
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-i-read
I don't know why but I find myself once again being interested in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer tv show thus my interest in this book "The Watchers Guide". This book was not what I thought it was going to be. (Clearly, I didn't read the book description)I was expecting something along the lines of various accounts from various watchers telling the accounts of their slayers and the vamps and demons they faced. While this book is something altogether different from that it was still nice. For those ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There are lots and lots of guide-type books to various TV series but I believe this is the best one that I've ever seen!

This one has episode guides like other guidebooks do, but it's also has loads of fascinating information in addition to episode summaries. There are interviews with almost everyone involved in the series, lots of quotes from various characters, beautiful color photos and even material on parts of scripts that never made it to the aired program

You're not going to read this in on
Larry McCloskey
May 12, 2010 rated it liked it
An inside look at the first two seasons of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" with an character, episode and monster guides, as well as interviews with the cast and crew.

If, for whatever reason, you've just discovered Buffy the book has some interesting little tidbits. That said, it's an old book and most fans will have already heard and seen most of what's here thanks to the wonders of the Internet.

Worth browsing for the insider look at the effects and guest stars but don't expect to be blown away by i
Rhiannon
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book cover to cover over 50 times since the first time I've received it as a christmas gift in 1999. This is a quint essencial book for any fan of the show. It has all sorts of good things inside ranging from back stories on certain demons, character bios, even the love triangles on the show. My favorite parts are the explanations of the sets, how the make-up is done, and loads of other cool facts. It's my all time favorite BTVS book.
JanBreesmom
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's guide, Volume 1 by Christopher Golden is a pictorial companion guide to the television show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It was published early in the show's run, I believe it was in the third season.

Buffy the Vampire was a very popular show, in it's time. This Watcher's guide was a welcome accompaniment to the show. I wish I still had my copy. I used to really enjoy thumbing through the pages.
Meghan Emery
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a good look at the beginnings of Buffy. It covers episode summaries, makeup and costumes, and a few interviews. Like another Goodreads user said, it's like Wiki before there was wiki. This was a much beloved companion during the series' early years. I still on occasion go back and read it for nostalgia's sake. I even got my copy signed by Christopher Golden when he came to my local convention. :)
Jdetrick
It's probably not fair to say one of the problems with this book is that it was written after the second season of Buffy, so it can't comment on some issues that can only be noticed with more distance, but it is a problem. The episode write ups are incredibly short and superficial and most of the book is padding, with endless interviews and quotes from the show. There's no real meat here.
David Caldwell
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not a story but a lot of information for the Buffy fan. It was really cool when it first came out and the series was still being shown. Nowadays I would really only recommend it for the collector who wants tyo collect everything. In other cases there are probably better choices for your collection budget.
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Covers Seasons 1 and 2 of Buffy. Great for us fans who want to know about the writers, stuntwomen, makeup artist and directors as well as the actors. If you are someone who watches the special features on DVD, this is for you.
Phil Syphe
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read this some time during 2002, thus can't remember too much of it now, though recall that I enjoyed it more than expected. Reason being, books inspired by TV shows that I really like don't always appeal to me, yet this one did.
Wendy Mills
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a thoroughly entertaining, must read book for any fan of the tv series BTVS. It’s filled with episode summaries, cast and crew bios, fun quips, set designs, pics, etc.

• Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 3
  • Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Script Book "Once More With Feeling"
  • Angel: the Casefiles, Volume 1
  • The Complete Slayer: An unoffical and unauthorised guide to every episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Slayer Slang: A Buffy the Vampire Slayer Lexicon
  • Buffy Chronicles : The Unofficial  Companion to Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Reading the Vampire Slayer: The Complete, Unofficial Guide to 'Buffy' and 'Angel'
  • Seven Seasons of Buffy: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Television Show
  • The Quotable Slayer
  • What Would Buffy Do? The Vampire Slayer as Spiritual Guide
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 4 (Tales of the Slayer, #4)
  • Return to Chaos (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #17)
  • Bite Me!: An Unofficial Guide to the World of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 2 (Tales of the Slayer, #2)
  • Chaos Bleeds (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 5, #7)
  • The Faith Trials (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Novelizations, #10)
  • Resurrecting Ravana (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #13)
  • The Burning (Unseen Trilogy, #1)
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film ...more

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide (4 books)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 2
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 3
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The Watcher's Guides
“My boyfriend had a bicentennial.” 1 likes
Angel: You think I want anything to happen to you? Do you think I could stand it?” 0 likes