Start by marking “The Contract (The Contract, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Contract (The Contract, #1)

Read Book

The Contract

(The Contract #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  18,436 ratings  ·  1,630 reviews
A tyrant by day, a playboy by night. That is the reputation that precedes Richard VanRyan. He lives life the way he wants, no concern for the opinion of others. He cares for no one, is completely unrepentant, and he has no desire to change his ways.

Katharine Elliott works under Richard as his PA. She despises him and his questionable ethics, but endures all the
Published May 24th 2016 by Enchanted Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Contract, please sign up.
Melanie Moreland Yes this book is a stand alone. I wrote a small future take I posted for charity called The Baby Clause as well.

·  18,436 ratings  ·  1,630 reviews

~Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$~
3.5 Stars

This was an enyoyable read, especially the first half. It had all the ingredients I love: the asshole of all assholes, a likable heroine, slow burn romance, witty banter, a bit of angst and an interesting plot.

I even bought the hero’s transformation from a total asshole to the sweetest angel that literally happened in a blink of an eye.

However, around 75% mark the cheese fest began...

It dragged for way too long and the dialogue b
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
3-ish Stars

I am a total sucker for this trope and it was done really well here overall. Especially the beginning set up; however, at about 70%, the book stated to flag for me. The story started to drag a little and things got a kinda of cheesy. I also thought the love scenes felt more 90’s historical romance than I was expecting.

I did a fair share of skimming toward the end as the dialogue because a gush-fest and the narrative all tell.

Overall, I enjoyed it though. I just wish it had kept
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦

➦This book here has all kinds of tropes in it but the marriage of convenience trope is the one that caught my attention. Because ME LIKE. I might or might not have a bit of a ladyboner for such a trope.

➦I do admit that gif is a bit creepy. Moving on... So then I find out this also has a bit of a enemies to lovers woven into it with an asshole lawyer on the side for dessert. And then I immediately start sympathizing with the heroine because she seriously deserves a medal for putting up with this douchebag. lol

➦And I do love a goo
Katerina
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Katerina by: Τατιάνα Τζινιώλη
Holy frack, I can't stop puking butterflies!

There was cheese people, there's no denying it. So much cheese than even Mickey Mouse suffers from stomach ache. And clichés, it felt like watching The Proposal with a role reversal. But you know what? I love the Proposal (ogling Ryan Reynolds' butt has nothing to do with it) and I love cheese!

“A tyrant at work and a playboy after hours.”

Katy's boss is hclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
the contract melanie moreland - Google Search

The Contract is book one in The Contract series by Melanie Moreland. I’ve read several of Melanie’s recent books but haven’t had a chance to get to the back list. This is one of those times I am asking myself, why, why, why did you wait so long to read this?!

Richard VanRyan works at Anderson, Inc, a cut throat advertising firm. The work environment is toxic, a constant competition between the employees to out do each other and a tyrannical boss. Richard fits right in. He’s a tyrant himself. He’s mean, condes
Jennifer Kyle
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

”A tyrant at work and a playboy after hours.”

[image error]

Katharine Elliott works for Richard VanRyan as his PA. He’s unappreciative, condescending, arrogant, belittling, and flat out rude to her on a daily basis. Katharine spends a large portion of her pay check paying for the care of the only person who took care of her and loved her as a child. So it goes that our fab heroine, Katharine must accept all that is Richard VanRyan as he is constantly looking for a reason to get her fired.

”My assistant – Katharine Elliofired.
Mo
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm away from home so not much time for reviews. Enjoyed this one. Reminded me a bit of the old Mills and Boon that I read many moons ago. Rich, arsehole wanker boss. Downtrodden secretary or PA if we have to be politically correct here.

Richard was a fucking dick. But for probably not long enough in the book for me. Did he redeem himself? Yeah, he did.

Might edit my review in the future but,
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
4 stars!

Review at Of Pens and Pages.

The Contract had everything I wanted in a story—hate to love, marriage of convenience, slow burn! There’s genuine dislike between our a-hole hero and strong and resilient heroine, and it was such a pleasure to read the gradual change in their relationship as they played house.

Richard VanRyan is sick of getting screwed over by his boss and the only other major ad agencyhouse.
RichardPages.
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

This was propably the cutest story I've read all year, and you might think I'm crazy since the hero was a complete asshole in the beginning. But the book set such a light and whimsical mood that you couldn't help but be swept up in this modern day fairytale.

Katy's boss is a grade A asshole, he is prime example of what the boss from hell would be like. But when he asks her to pose as his fiance so he can get a job their roles are suddenly reversed. Although you'd never say since Richard takes charge of whatever
NMmomof4
2.5 Stars

Overall Opinion: This was just ok, and then it wasn't. It lost my interest completely and even though I really should've put it on my dnf shelf -- I skimmed through the last 30%. I didn't find anything really all that special about either characters, and once they developed stronger feelings it became kind of cheesy and just plain unappealing to me. I didn't hate it either. I just completely lost interest tbh. I'm sure others would like this low drama, super sweet story...but it just wasn'/>Overall
Maria...
"4 Cheesy stars"

"I'm not scared of loving you anymore, Katy.
I'm only scare of losing you."

This book was quite enjoyable and I didn't expect it to be so good! The title kind of prepare you of what's coming. This was my first book by Melanie Moreland and I liked it very much! The writing and the characters were great, although there were parts that some people will find really cheesy but it was ok for me and the end was unnecessarily dragged for a while which it would have been ok if it wasn't. Just saying....

Because it asaying....
Becausestars"

Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Still a good read*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Re-read: 04.04.2018
I couldn't find anything new that looked interesting enough to read, so like I've done most this year: I did a re-read. The book centers around the blunt and in charge in the advertising industry, Richard VanRyan (32) and his PA, Katharine ‘Katy’ Elliott (view spoiler) (how old?). Richard wants revenge for being passed on a promotion, and wants to start working for The Gavin Group. However, the TGG is a family busine
Chantal ❤️
This was a great story but I did drag on in places. I loved how he runs after her in the end but honestly it was a slow moving book. This was a comforting read filled with ups and downs.
The hero was a total asshole. I had no idea that I could hate him so much and then at the end love him. He really did grow and the author did a great job of showing his growth. It does come slowly with the realization of who he could be if he allowed himself to feel. Everything he does towards the end is for her
Katie
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars!

description

"No, Richard. You aren't despicable. I think you're lost. You haven't let yourself feel. Once you do, once you allow yourself to connect to someone, I think you'll find this world is a much better place. Love doesn't make you weak. Real, honest love- it makes you strong."

Ah! Loved this book!

So the story plot is as follows- an eccentric, rich and womanizing man named Richard is looking to leaclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
"No,
Dilek VT
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Dilek VT by: Gökçe
Someting between 3-3,5.... Very sweet and heart warming but too slow and dragging!

As you can see from the blurb, the plot here seems to be a cliché but it doesn't follow the cliché road, it takes its own way.

However, even this refreshing approach to "the girlfriend/wife with a contract theme" cannot save the book and make it a 4 or 5 star read for me because it is too slow, too uneventful and incredibly dragging.

I think this book is 100 pages longer than necessary. I mean, there are 60 more pages after their happ
Alex ♈
I didn't like the hero at the beginning, I didn't like him much at the end.
She was OK. She wasn't weak, she was a good person I guess. Much better than me, coz I would have never forgiven him.
Do people change? I'm not sure. They accommodate maybe, but don't change completely.
There are miracles in books, there are non in real life.
Amanda
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 'make - believe' stars

The Contract is quite a surprisingly good read. When I started on the book, I find the writing was pretty mediocre and there isn't enough backstory to build up the two main characters. When they first came on the page, I don't find them instantly likable. But as I continue, I find myself getting more and more engrossed in the story and rooting for the jerk.

Richard VanRyan is a high flyer of the advertising industry and a jerk of epic proportion, especially towards his PA, Katherine Elliot. Honstars
Claire Robinson
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shit-hot-series
5 - "Go fuck yourself, VanRyan." Stars!

The Contract is not the first book I have read by Melanie Moreland, but it is definitely the best book I have read by her to date.

There is nothing I love more than an asshole who over the course of the story reforms into something else. Richard VanRyan is the epitomy of that description, because at the beginning of this story, he can only be described as a total douche,Stars!
Bev
This was one of those "it's not you, it's me" books, and I really struggled with this. Richard was a monumental tool from word one, to the point of being vile and nasty, and he irritated the ever loving hell out of me with his unwarranted and cruel attacks on Katy. She then in turn irritated me by putting up with his crap instead of kneeing him in the nuts. Then she has a light bulb moment and agrees to a marriage of convenience, having been ridiculed, maligned, hurt, bullied, etc over and over ...more
Jan
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
****3.75 Stars****

This is a story line I can’t seem to get enough.
As soon as I read The Contract’s blurb I knew I would have to read it!
And so I tried my luck.
Thanks to StarAngel's Reviews for very kindly sending me this copy.

So, what’s it about?

In other words: a jerk

****3.75 Stars****

This is a story line I can’t seem to get enough.
As soon as I read The Contract’s blurb I knew I would have to read it!
And so I tried my luck.
Thanks to StarAngel's Reviews for very kindly sending me this copy.

So, what’s it about?

In other words: a jerk

Katharine Elliott works under Richard as his PA.
She despises him and his questionable ethics, but endures all the garbage he sends her way, because she needs the job. Her final goal is far more important than the daily abuse and demands she tolerates from her nasty tyrant of a boss.
In other words: A heroine I was so looking forward to see grow a backbone.

So Richard, The Tyrant, needed a fiancé In order to get a job with The Gavin Group – A family run company that operates on two fundamental principles: family and integrity.
Why not his clumsy PA?

I was just waiting for the moment she would explode and grown THAT backbone I was talking about.
When she did it, it was in grand style.

The Tyrant made the fake-fiancé proposition. Katharine accepted.
Soon they were caught on a snow ball of lies where the fake engagement wasn't enough and to keep the appearances they had to get married.

With the forced arrangement of living together, a mutual respect built on a forced daily basis intimacy started to flourish, and as a result, a beautiful friendship.
It was a subtle changing very well crafted by the author. I liked it a lot. There was no insta-love.

While I loved the banter and chemistry between the H/h, I didn't appreciate how intrusive the Gavin family was.
The Gavin family from The Gavin Group remember? Yep! He did get the job.
The rapport between Katharine and Gavin’s family was too fast and too much. They became best friends in the first family BBQ.
And then there was Jenna (Gavin).
JENNA.WAS.UNBELIEVABLE. The woman had no boundaries! No sense or filters at all!
Getting in their room to have coffee, early in the morning, with Katharine?!
Hellooo!? Do you mind?!

Yes, she did.

Overall, The Contract was a great read with lots of laughing out loud moments and a punch of a few emotional ones.
Nicola
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I know I’m once again late to the party, but better late than never eh?

description You know you’re known as ‘The Dick’ in many circles. For obvious reasons.”

description

Melanie Moreland knitted together so many aspects perfectly in The Contract and the slower burn romance, witty banter, low-drama and connections between each of the characters made for a fantastic all-round read. But it was Richard VanRyan’s transformation from arsehole to adorable that was the star of the show and a joy to behold.

4.5 Stars

I know I’m once again late to the party, but better late than never eh?

description

description Go fuck yourself, VanRyan.”

Katy may come across as yes-person to begin with, but first impressions aren’t always the true reflection of a person and I quickly fell in love with her quiet tenacity, strong will and huge heart. I’m a hard nut to crack when it comes to the marriage-of-convenience trope, the couple have to have something special to win me over and Richard and Katy had it.

description ...she makes me look at the world in a different way. She grounds me. She makes life brighter.”

Yes it ventured into the sweeter end of the spectrum heading towards the end, but it wasn’t close to what I would term Melanie’s most saccharine. A loveable couple with an engaging story and easily one I could and will pick up and read again.

♡Tonya♡
I have to give praise to this author! She had me wanting to initially junk punch this H and by the end of the story, I adored him. That is not an easy thing to accomplish. These two characters, Richard and Katy, started off not very fond of each other. Richard was actually not very fond of anyone. Sweet Katy just didn't care for him and his horrid attitude. He was mean and hateful and you didn't think he'd ever be able to redeem himself. I loved how they progressed together in their relationship ...more
Nikki ღ Navareus

***FOUR STARS***

Yeah, I love a story about a total asshole hero, who redeems himself by the end. This one pretty much fit the bill. Richard was a douche extreme at the first of this story. He was mean and hurtful as hell. Katy came off as a sweet little shy thing, but she eventually comes out as the spitfire she truly is, and stopped holding back all her kick ass responses back to Richard whenever he acted like a douche to her. I also enjoyed the whole host of awesome, lovable secondary characters that toppeSTARS***
Yeah,
Naksed
The shriveled up, ashy, black and burnt raisin that serves as my heart wished it could have the capacity to love this fun, entertaining, contemporary romance where the nerd girl heroine tames the wild beast of a hero through a marriage of convenience. Unfortunately, the cynical little sucker couldn't help roiling with nausea at the super sappiness including how quickly (and disappointingly) the F-bomb dropping, narcissistic, greedy manho turned into a mushy Hallmark Card because his Mary Sue dro ...more
EgyptDiva
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I didn’t think I’d like this one as much as I did considering it had (view spoiler) but I really really did.

I’m a sucker for love hate relationships and marriage of convenience tropes so it was no wonder I decided to read this. It reminded me of Natasha Anders heroes. You know the super asshole hero you think you’ll NEVER EVER forgive but you end up loving? Yup that was Richard. But I also ado
maggieandteddy
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is my second book by this author. I really enjoyed Over the Fence, which was such an original, sweet book. The H in that book was so awesome, but the h's brother was such an asshole. Well, Melanie sure knows how to write about assholes!
In The Contract, the H, Richard is the asshole. I sure do love a swoony, loving Hero in my books (and in real life!) Lately, I've been reading about some grrr leading men. As in real life, I wonder how he got that way. Does he know that he's an asshole, or does he think: '
Libby Harrison

Beware of Spoilers!

Star Ratings:
Heroine (Katharine): 5/5
Hero (Richard): 5/5
Plot: 4/5
Grovel: Hero redeemed himself brilliantly!
Cheating: none
HEA: yes but no epilogue
Triggers: none

Average score: 4.5/5 – an epilogue would have made it a 5 star for me

Best Line: “You have hands.”

Worst Line: “I liked my women strong and vibrant—not a doormat like Miss Elliott.”

Personal Review:
This was a romance between a PA and a arrogant man who learned to love again despite his awful childhood.

Random Ramblings:
•I’m sorry but can those names be any more boring?
•My first impression of the H was that he needed a good slap/punch!! Every time he spoke to the h I was…

Beware of Spoilers!

Star Ratings:
Heroine (Katharine): 5/5
Hero (Richard): 5/5
Plot: 4/5
Grovel: Hero redeemed himself brilliantly!
Cheating: none
HEA: yes but no epilogue
Triggers: none

Average score: 4.5/5 – an epilogue would have made it a 5 star for me

Best Line: “You have hands.”

Personal Review:

Random Ramblings:
•I’m sorry but can those names be any more boring?

•Loved the sarcastic moments from the h
•I felt like applauding the h for the brilliantly harsh speech she gave the H
•Penny and Richards relationship brought tears to my eyes
•I was a blubbering mess by the final few chapters

Overall Feeling:

So proud of the Hero for learning to open his heart to love
So proud of the Heroine for seeing the real Hero (under the asshole!)

Lea ★
From the moment I read the blurb, I knew this book will be a jackpot!
If you loved Christian Grey (no BDSM here though...), Jesse Ward, Gideon Cross or Malcolm Saint, I'm guessing you will probably like Richard VanRyan too.
This is a rich guy/poor girl pattern I can't seem to get enough of.
Call it my guilty pleasure.
I really liked it!
bella ϟ  [ bella farren ]
3 / 5 stars

reread: 21/02/17

edit: I deducted the half star I had originally added because again, Richard's initial treatment of Katy and his general personality was pretty abusive, and the change in him unrealistic. I always enjoy the majority of this book, and the person he tuns into, but there's a fine line between being a difficult boss and being a verbally abusive boss. A better example of this concept is The Hating Game imo.

This was a classic "hate to love" storyline, filled to brim with lots of well loved tropes such as marri21/02/17
edit:stars
Sara
I started reading it last night and couldn’t stop! I don’t know why I didn’t read it earlier on. It’s a cute story with a lot of banter.

I love the Hero even though he is an asshole in the beginning but you begin to like him. I LOVED the Heroine, she is super strong, with a good personality & she doesn’t act dumb or naive. I liked the whole “hate to love" thing going on, it made the book interesting!
United By Romance: The Contract is on Prime Reading 1 4 Dec 22, 2018 09:31AM
United By Romance: The Contract 1 2 Sep 22, 2018 01:53PM

• Soldier On (Appalachian Hearts, #3)
  • Simply Love
  • The Divorce (The Relationship Quo, #1)
  • Kissed
  • The Temporary Wife
  • That One Time
  • The Italian's Token Wife
  • The Scorsolini Marriage Bargain
  • Resonate (Something in Common, #3)
  • Love Hate Relationship (Colors, #3)
  • The Christmas Wife
  • Vigil
  • Blackmailed Bride, Inexperienced Wife (Innocent Wives #3)
  • Released (Caged, #3)
  • Love Me Harder (Love Never Fails Book 3)
  • The Price of a Bride
  • Passionate Bid (Blue-Eyed Four, #1)
  • To Love, Honor and Betray
New York Times/USA Today bestselling author Melanie Moreland, lives a happy and content life in a quiet area of Ontario with her beloved husband of twenty-seven-plus years and their rescue cat, Amber. Nothing means more to her than her friends and family, and she cherishes every moment spent with them.
While seriously addicted to coffee, and highly challenged with all things computer-related and t

The Contract (2 books)
  • The Amendment (The Contract, #2)
“When you get older, Richard, you realize life is made up of moments. All sorts of them. Sad ones, good ones, and great ones. They make up the tapestry that is your life. Hold on to all of them—especially the great ones. They make the others easy to take.” 10 likes
“Without her, it was nothing.
Without her, I was nothing.
~Richard VanRyan”