Start by marking “Faith, Volume 1: Hollywood & Vine” as Want to Read:
Faith, Volume 1: Hollywood & Vine

Faith, Volume 1: Hollywood & Vine

(Faith #1)

Valiant's most demanded hero steps out of Harbinger and into an all-new miniseries adventure!
Orphaned at a young age, Faith Herbert - a psionically gifted "psiot" discovered by the Harbinger Foundation - has always aspired to greatness. But now this once ordinary teenager is taking control of her destiny and becoming the hard-hitting hero she's always known she can be - co
Paperback, Trade, 123 pages
Published July 6th 2016 by Valiant Entertainment, LLC

Start your review of Faith, Volume 1: Hollywood & Vine
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I have never read anything with Faith in it before but it didn't take away from the story. I thought it was pretty good.

Faith is trying to go it alone without her crew. She works a regular job during the day and helps people by night or in the day time if need be.

She is a very sweet character. My favorite was when she saved the dogs =D

I loved the graphics as well.

She had some help trying to find out what was going on with these evil peeps and it all turned out okay in the end. I hope to read
Anne
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it

Faith is just a likable character.
You can't help but like her and because of that, you really can't help but like her comic.

description

You don't see a lot of unbridled optimism in superheroes anymore, which makes her a nice fresh breath of air. She's also got a geeky internal monologue going on that I think most of us who read comics can relate to in a Haha! That's exactly what I would be thinking, too! way.

description

So why not 4 full stars?
Well, the main story wasn't all that memorable, to be honest. In
Adam Silvera
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
4.5. Really enjoyed this! Was a little disoriented in some places because Faith's story begins in a previous series, but I got through it. Was especially charmed by her geekiness.
Sesana
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
It's refreshing to see a superhero comic that goes beyond just refusing to hypersexualize its female lead and stars an overweight woman whose weight is a non-issue. It's totally unrelated to her powers, to her work as a superhero, to her personal life, to anything. And beyond that, I really like Faith as a character. Unfortunately, the story is kind of meh. It does nothing for me. I'll still probably read the next volume she shows up again, because I like her, but the story here is a snooze.
Calista
Faith is your plus size super hero and she has a double identity. She was part of a team and now she is on her own in LA. She has a job and she is kick-ass and compassionate.

The art didn't stand out to me really. I did like her costume with the coat tails being what flaps in the wind. It's smart. This is a smart comic connected to a larger universe it appears.

I wasn't too into the villain and there was a whole lot of angst. It was a great comic.
David Schaafsma
Faith, alias Zephyr (her super hero name) and Summer (her regular boring job name), is plus-sized, or "fuller figured," and this isn't even mentioned in the comic in any way, which is unique, surprising, refreshing. The story is vanilla. She's a Clark Kent-type journalist, but she works in social media. She has a super cute sculpted ex she is trying to get back into saving the world with her. This has a lot of energy and is pretty fun, I thought.
Gary
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading a few of Valiant's titles, but I have to admit that as a rule the general tone - with some exceptions - is quite grim. This miniseries (which was quickly upgraded to an ongoing), focusing on the popular Renegades character Faith Herbert a.k.a. Zephyr, is an even more radical departure in that it endeavors to do what even Valiant's handful of "fun" books neglect to do - charm their readers with the kind of optimism and exuberance that made superhero comics so popular in the first ...more
Chad
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Valiant's best series in a long while. Faith is an uber-nerd with superpowers. The dialogue is snappy and full of nerdy pop culture references. I like her burgeoning relationship with Archer. They are my two favorite characters in the Valiant universe. Francis Portela's art is great. We need more Faith!
Devann
Absolutely love this! I'm guessing there is some other series I should have read before this but I'm not sure what it is and this volume does a pretty good job of filling in blanks on who all these people in her life are so I didn't actually feel like I was missing much. There isn't necessarily a lot of depth in this first volume, but I feel like it's a good start and also it's just nice to read something light that makes you feel good every once in awhile.

I know a lot of people probably think
Chris
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Faith is a fresh, funny and action packed new comic series. Jody Houser's writing is just fantastic and the artwork is bright and traditional and lovely. I was immediately drawn to the story and the humour on offer, and Faith herself is just a delightful character to follow. I really enjoyed this book and felt like it just went by in a flash, I can't wait to read on and discover more about the characters and the world they inhabit. I recommend this, for sure.
Emily
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is everything I've ever wanted in a superhero comic.

First of all, Faith is just an amazing character. She's hilarious without feeling like a comic book cliche. I think it boils down to her sheer earnestness, which also makes her endearing as hell. I dare you to dislike her--IT'S IMPOSSIBLE.

I loved that this read as very self-aware without being too hipster cool. It pokes fun at superhero comics without every coming across as petty or mean. That is a fine line to toe, and Houser does so with
Diana
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
More like 3'5 stars

I just liked this comic a lot. It is full of surprises, like for instance, this retake of the woman figure in super heroes comics. I love that she is overweight, and that the other characters have lots of different physical atributes instead of sporting the same kind of body. I also enjoyed the reference to Superman: heroe and reporter hahaha
The story line is quite good, and we found a super heroe who is quite human, which is also very appreciated. It references a lot of backs
Jen
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ala-annual-2016
I enjoyed the artwork and the storyline. The reality tv show was tongue in cheek funny. I liked that the MC was not the typical bosomy skinny mini with muscles on muscles and gravity-defying barely there costumes.

My only quibble is I feel like there is much more back story that I wasn't caught up on enough to catch everything in this volume. I would like to read more of the back story and would like to read the continuation of Faith's story. 4 solid stars.
L. McCoy
Okay, guys.
Is it just me or does Faith (both her looks and personality) often seem like a younger, super-powered Pam Poovey? I can’t be the only one who sees it.

What’s it about?
Taking place after the 2012 Harbinger run, Faith moves to LA. It’s unfortunately a bit of a tiring struggle juggling her cover as Summer Smith, a writer for a pop-culture website and being a superhero.

Why it gets 5 stars:
The story is good and done in a way that I enjoy seeing in the brighter side of superhero comics. It w
Mario
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Faith rocks!!
Plus Valiant and Houser keep her real. What with the regular job, millennial day to day life, boys, etc. She's geeky, cool, and Zephyr. Even the fan service doesn't seem too contrived. I dig it.
Paul
I loved this a lot. I initially gave this a 4 but while writing this review, I realized how great this was, and it's going to a 5. This is probably the best female-centered graphic novel I've read so far. What I love about it is that author Jody Houser treats her characters as regular people. Faith is an overweight superhero but not once did Houser even write anything in the graphic novel to talk about that. Faith is just who she is. Faith loves SFF and geeky things but it wasn't over-the-top to ...more
Raina
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was surprised how much I liked this. And it wasn't just the hero.

Usually, superhero-universe characters are too actiony or referential for me, unless they're not macro-universe-based (cf. Ms. Marvel. Vol. 1: No Normal, Rising Stars: Born in Fire).
Here, I loved how much time was spent on the practicalities of life as a superhero - with a dayjob, alias, exes, relationships.
Solid, readable, engaging.

Yeah, kinda loved it.
Seizure Romero
Not a follower of Valiant, so I felt a little afloat regarding characters & back story. A little too much cutesy romantic fantasy. Still funny. What I found to be the most ridiculous, unbelievable, downright far-fetched nonsense? That full-page shot of Faith flying over the 405 freeway. Those lush green hills and big fluffy trees are pure fantasy in the desert that is Southern California. Has the artist ever been to L.A.? OUTRAGEOUS MISREPRESENTATION. ...more
Chessa
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I really liked the premise, but the details really got in the way for me. The plot was just kind of meh. Most of all, I found Faith's internal monologue text boxes reeeeeaaaaallllly distracting - and it really cluttered up the frames. I think this is where I will leave this series.
Richard
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite things about Valiant comics is that so many of their stories aren't about superheroes in the classic sense. They're either reluctant heroes, accidental heroes, or they're part of teams that can't seem to get it together. For the most part, all the characters are only looking after their own interests and happen to save the world in the process. Other than maybe Quantum and to a certain extent, Livewire, is there any character in this universe that actually wants to be a superh ...more
Stewart Tame
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun! I’ve been curious about this book for a while, so when I saw that our library had the first four volumes, I decided to check it out.

I seem to recall that the initial buzz about this title was something along the lines of, “OMG! A plus size superhero!” While Faith certainly is that, it's definitely not her sole defining characteristic. She's a wonderfully lovable person actually, friendly, into SF and Fantasy and geek culture in general. None of the stories dwell on her size, nor do any of
Caitlin
May 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
In the first volume of the series, Faith is a former superhero who left her superhero teammates to strike out on her own. Working as a reporter for a smalltime website using the alias of Summer Smith, Faith works her regular job during the day and heroics at night as Zephyr. In her first case on her own, Faith runs into a rather nasty cult involved in the disappearances of gifted people. It's up to Faith and her friends to deal with the cult before anyone gets hurt.

I've only ever heard good thi
Venus Maneater
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, free, netgalley
Got to read this comic for free through NetGalley, but that won't influence this review in any way.

Such a lovely cover! Faith sitting peacefully, rockin' her gear, rockin' that beautiful ombre hair, probably writing a review about the last comic she read. Pigeons like WTF is happening.

Faith - Superhero Zephyr by night, and wig-wearing Buzzfeed-esque reporter by day. She's sweet, she's a nerd (there are even action figures in her bathroom!), she's plus-size, just a tiny bit insecure, but spunky
jess
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The first three issues of Faith are a delight. It has the backstory and world building you need and expect from any new character's universe -- where did you come from? what can you do? who did you hurt, and who has hurt you? mild-mannered secret identity. You know, the things we need to give any sh!ts about a character. But Faith is also more than just a fun new superhero comic. She's a woman, and she's fat. The book never beats you over the head with these facts, but obviously her identity inf ...more
connie
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-i-ve-read
Stuck between a 2.5 and 3/5 stars, so I'll just round down

I dunno... I just didn't really care about anything that happened in this. Or anyone, really. Everything just fell kinda flat and I didn't feel involved in the characters lives or the whole plot and stuff. There's not really much to say other than I didn't feel much of anything reading this, and the art was OK. I think one of the only things I liked about this volume was the fact that Faith is a bigger female superhero, and nobody makes a
Adriana
Another case of too much hype?
Sadly, it's a 3.5 star read.
There are things that I really liked about the story and the heroine, but I'd heard so much about how amazing and life-altering this series is that I was honestly expecting something way different than what I got.
Faith is a cool character and I love that she has a fuller figure and it's never even mentioned. The solid plot, if not ground-breaking, keeps you turning pages. While the art is very nice and works well within the narrative of t
Bookishrealm
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an interesting comic. I appreciated the elements of not having a stereotypical super hero but to be honest the story was rather confusing. I didn't exactly get what was going on and then on top of that I didn't really understand the ending. It just didn't make sense to be quite honest. I felt like they could have done a much better job with her as a character. The artwork was pretty good and I was intrigued enough to pick up the second volume and I really could appreciate the fact that ...more
Rita
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: millie
Fun and smart and lives up to the hype. It's a book I wish I'd written and it motivates me to work on the one I am writing. This superhero is way overdue! Thank the gods she's arrived at last!
Katiria
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-books
*** I really loved and enjoyed this graphic novel I can’t wait to continue reading more about Faith and her friends. Review To Come Up Soon. ***
Luce
I received a partial galley of this from the publishers via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. However, I also got a copy of the full first volume in a Humble Bundle, and that’s the one I read. (The partial galley contained issued one and two and a lineart-only version of issue three. The full first volume contains issues 1-4.)

I really enjoyed reading about a fat superhero whose weight is NEVER EVEN MENTIONED, except for one single fat-shaming comment by Faith’s ex boyfriend’s current g

• Harbinger, Volume 1: Omega Rising