Start by marking “The Martyr's Blade (The Chronicles of the Martyr, Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Martyr's Blade (The Chronicles of the Martyr, Book 1)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Martyr's Blade

(The Chronicles of the Martyr #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  44 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Fear rumbles deep within the halls of the great temple of Bandirma…

Brought together by bonds of friendship, love and duty, the Temple’s guardians journey into the ice-covered hinterlands to investigate disquieting omens of an ancient foe. Desecrated temples, ruined farms and butchered innocents presage an evil the Temple believed destroyed in a cataclysm centuries ago.

Th
Published February 18th 2016 by Colquhoun Books (first published January 11th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Martyr's Blade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Martyr's Blade

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Martyr's Blade (The Chronicles of the Martyr, Book 1)
Prem Krishnan
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Martyr's Blade is an engaging tale in the classic swords and sorcery vein. Manners weaves a tale in a rich world full of tiny details and well-developed characters. With more than a hint of romance and intrigue, frequent misdirection and betrayals, and highly-detailed fight scenes, The Martyr's Blade begins like a pop in a campfire and wraps up with the tri-state fire of '16.
Reader Views
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Susan Violante for Reader Views (05/16)

Article first published as 'Book Review: ‘The Martyr’s Blade’ by Joel Manners on Blogcritics.

“The Martyr’s Blade” by Joel Manners begins with the news of terrible violence in the North, as announced by the Temple’s Priest to Lady Danielle. As disturbing as it is, the Priest reveals his biggest fear…this violence might be a sign that the Crunorix has returned. This revelation marks the beginning of this epic adventure where the reader wi
Nancy Foster
Paused at 15%

Now, I do not wish to give a star rating to a book when I was so little in (and considering the length, I did haul around 80 pages), and maybe I will give it a second chance. I have done this in the past to other works that I paused very early due to gripes with the book, and sometimes I finish them, others I got real close and thus that gave me a better chance to rate it.

That said, I do not deny the author has a talent for writing and the book was definitely
Faith Rivens
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie-reader
A great, engaging fantasy with detailed worldbuilding and really well conceived characters. Danielle was an especially interesting character to follow through the story. The tone of the book was lighter than most, which at times allowed for a chuckle or too, but other times detracted from the gravity of situations and didn't sit well within the context of the action. But overall a highly enjoyable read that builds a world worth discovering.
Sue Smith
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I have to say that I really enjoyed this story - it got you right into the thick of things, great character intros and that wonderful feeling of the doom and seriousness of the things unsaid and yet to come - the storm brewing on the horizon so to speak - and I was thrilled to have stumbled upon a new author that gave me all I enjoy in an epic series. There even seemed to be a cheeky bit of comedy that was fun - the old ‘wink-wink’ chuckles - that lent an air of camaraderie to the various charac ...more
Joel Manners
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hopefully every author likes their own book, so I am sure my opinion doesn’t matter to you in the slightest. So instead of telling you what I loved about the book, I thought I’d talk about what I loved about writing the book.

More than anything, I enjoyed bringing these characters into being. They started life as rough characterizations, simple tools for the plot’s nefarious purposes. But they have grown into friends and lovers and heroes who I think about all the time.

I have always
Jeff Stanislawski
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Martyr’s Blade is a very welcome addition to the fantasy genre. An engaging, wondrous adventure from start to finish. Manners’ incredibly deep knowledge and appreciation for the genre is evident on each page. He writes with an enthusiasm that is both infectious and inspiring. That spirit is also reflected in his characters. Their witty, optimistic dispositions and larger than life personalities are a welcome change from the familiar stoic, brooding type characters typically found in these ty ...more
Tanya
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A well-edited, debut fantasy novel that grabs you from the first pages. The world building is fairly decent. There are many characters who die in the book so be warned. One aspect of the book I did not care for are the multiple points of view. I'm comfortable with two but beyond that I feel the story gets muddled. But then the author kills off those who's point of view the reader has been following which only muddles following the story, and it happens in the first half of the book. The romance ...more
Corrie Thompson
A ring of suspicious deaths linked to ancient, dark rituals has brought old fears back to the Hinterlands. Danielle, with blade in hand and Word ready, ventures out with a troop to find the source of the shadow. A torrent of wights and husks pour over the mountains, flowing from an even worse evil. Can the valiant group stop the portal opening a path to darkness and get away safely?

With well-written details and intriguing premise book was so close to being good. There is definitely a
Sherry
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Need the second in the series fast, can't wait to find out what happens next, Please hurry!
Great book
Eric M.
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this amazing book at the beginning of the year. Can't wait for the next in the series.
Joel Manners
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

I have always
Roth
This was a sword and sorcery fantasy that, while not being particularly innovative plot wise, was filled with fantastic, well thought out, flawed characters. I appreciated that despite following well worn fantasy tropes, there were also more women and poc than usually appear in epic fantasy. There's even multiple queer characters, and a heartfelt queer romance (the bar, it is so low). My main sticking points were the worldbuilding, or lack thereof, and the writing.

While overall the writing wasn
Jenn
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it

Long read. Took a bit to get into the book but once I did it was enjoyable.
Syndi Day
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i was the lucky winner of a copy of this novel through a goodreads win. it is a very engaging tale with well developed plot and characters. it involves good magic versus evil magic and is rich in details.it flows along nicely and everything ties together in a horrible betrayal. there are many fight scenes, some romance and lots of comradery and friendship. i especially like the fact that women are portrayed as being just as involved in the fighting as the men. i am looking forward to reading mo ...more
Dan Phillips
Vickie Allen
Feb 09, 2017
M. T. Lyons
Feb 09, 2018
Joel Manners has created rich worlds and memorable characters in video games for more than 30 years. He brings his talent for storytelling to the epic fantasy genre in his acclaimed series, The Chronicles of the Martyr. He lives in Austin, TX with his wife and two boys. And this dog his wife made them get, but honestly, she’s pretty sweet. The dog. His wife too. Although he suspects that might cha ...more

The Chronicles of the Martyr (2 books)
  • The Martyr's Tears (The Chronicles of the Martyr Book 2)