Start by marking “Ashes To Ashes (Ministry of Curiosities, #5)” as Want to Read:
Ashes To Ashes (Ministry of Curiosities, #5)

Ashes To Ashes

(The Ministry of Curiosities #5)

With Charlie gone, Lincoln finds that Lichfield Towers offers no sanctuary. With reminders of her at every turn, and employees threatening to mutiny, he must try to find the murderer who is killing supernaturals on his own. Another victim leads to further leads, but is Lincoln too distracted to work efficiently?
Published April 2016 by C.J. Archer

To ask other readers questions about Ashes To Ashes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ashes To Ashes

Nefertiti's Heart by A.W. ExleyHatshepsut's Collar by A.W. ExleyNessy's Locket by A.W. ExleyNero's Fiddle by A.W. ExleyMoseh's Staff by A.W. Exley
Gaslamp
118 books — 13 voters
Kiss of Steel by Bec McMasterThief of Hearts by Margaret FoxeHeart of Iron by Bec McMasterSteam & Sorcery by Cindy Spencer PapeThe Mech Who Loved Me by Bec McMaster
☆ Steampunk ☆
99 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Ashes To Ashes (Ministry of Curiosities, #5)
Kayla
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it

CHARACTERS- so this book, we had no Charlie . This book was told from Lincoln, which I love Lincoln but I didn't really like the book being told by him. I would have preferred it being
Emma
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok. I have to say I feel a bit cheated in this book. I was well entrenched in the story at 70% on kindle, when it abruptly ended. The other 30% was the first chapter of a new series by the author! The story picks up with everyone more or less pining for Charlie. I felt like I was pining for Charlie too.
Archer has established a charming set of characters in Lincoln and his household and they are all held together by Charlie, so I’m looking forward to getting her back (presumably) in the next
nicklein
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've lost count on how many times I pulled my hair because of Lincoln's stubborness. I miss Charlie so bad. *nosedives into book 6*
Rose
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a short novella from Lincoln's point of view, that is set after Lincoln sends her away from Lichfield Park.
I actually really enjoyed this, which was surprising since I'm not usually a big fan of novellas. Nonetheless, it was great to finally gain a perspective into Lincoln's head and his opinions of the other characters, when in the previous books his thoughts have been so enigmatic.
In Ashes to Ashes, Lincoln continues the investigations to the serial murder of the paranormals and in
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
So this wasn't so bad. Normally I do not like novellas very well. I thought this one was fairly well done. Going into this I was really hoping that Lincoln spent some time regretting his decision to send Charlie away but he didn't. Rather, he was actually somewhat relieved - because despite his feelings for her, his life was less complicated without her in it. For selfish reasons he was kind of glad she was gone, despite the fact that he missed her terribly.

Okay, so this didn't really help
Elisa
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is marked as book 5 in the series, but it’s a novella — the price does reflect that (it’s cheaper than the full books) so it’s not like I felt ripped off or anything, but I don’t believe it contributes a whole lot to the overall story and I kind of wish I had skipped it.

It’s also written from Lincoln‘s viewpoint, and frankly I didn’t find him very likable here; I guess seeing him from Charlie’s viewpoint was much more flattering, because he is kind of odd, aggressive and neurotic.

The
Witchmetal
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This book felt more like a novella. I didn't enjoy it as much as the others.
R.L. Hemlock
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Ashes To Ashes” is the fifth book in “The Ministry of Curiosities” series. It is also a bonus novella-length story, told entirely from Lincoln’s point of view. It is shorter than the rest of the books in the Ministry of Curiosities series. Fair warning that this series has some dark content and I would recommend it for mature audiences, preferably whom are not too squeamish.

Charlie is gone, and Lincoln finds that Lichfield Towers offers no sanctuary. With reminders of her at every turn, and
Bree Verity
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I knew this was a novella going into it, so I wasn't concerned that it wasn't going to be full length. It was nice to get some perspective from Lincoln's side, however, he still remains quite enigmatic and, frankly, the most annoying hot-and-cold brooding irritating man I've ever known!!
SPOILERS!!
Thankfully, by the end, he has realised the error of his ways in sending Charlie away, so the next book should be back to somewhat normal.
Also, Seth and Gus leaving because Lincoln wouldn't bring
Giana Darling
I love the Ministry of Curiosities series! C.J. Archer is an amazing story-teller and Lincoln is the quintessential brooding, tall, dark and handsome hero. That said, I didn't love this installment of the series, because even though it was great to get Lincoln's perceptive and voice, I missed Charlie and the cliffhanger from the previous book overshadowed the entire plot of this one. Still, I cannot wait to see what has happened to Charlie in the next book!!!!
Mischa
Oct 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Pretty short, felt more like a novella than an actual book in a series. Also, mostly Lincoln being an idiot.
Louise
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it
This was like the filler episode in the middle of a series where you just want to get to the main plot, but you still have to sit through it in case you miss anything.
whateverlittleluce
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
A big "eff you" to you, Lincoln.
Jenn
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, e-book, audiobook
Very low three stars. First there were numerous contradictions to previously stated facts presented in the series which is a MASSIVE pet peeve for me in writing. If the writer is the one presenting the facts within their world then they ought to be respectful enough to remember them. For example in another book Seth said he was won in a card game where Fitzroy promised to pay his debts if he came to work for him. In this book it's an auction and Seth paid the debts himself. In the first book ...more
May 05, 2019 rated it it was ok

This half-a-novel was kind of a waste. This book is from Lincoln’s perspective, but it was amazing to me that other than the lack of sentimental thoughts of love, he had an almost identical voice to Charlie. Forgive my saying so, but this proves my typical stance that author’s need to be good at switching viewpoints for it to make sense and enhance the story in any way. Unfortunately, Archer demonstrated her lack of skill in this area and I’d caution her to stick with one viewpoint in the
Helena
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have quite mixed feelings about this. Mostly I'm utterly irritated. Why? Let me tell you why.

First of all, this is a novella and not a novel. Nothing against novellas but this does not work. This is more like a half of a novel. It doesn't stand alone as a story. It needs more. The story that started in the previous books keeps going on this and it does go forward but not enough and I can't say this would be a full story. As I said, just a half of a story.

Then there's the cliffhanger in the
Andra Shaw
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Does he get it yet so we can move on?!

I am a fan of this series but was ready to stop reading after the ending of the previous book. I realized that the character of Lincoln needed to be "hashed out" so to speak and the other characters to show their growth. It was weird having a book in this series that only contains reflections on Charlie. I still give it a 4 because the writing is so well done. However, I hope what ensues in the rest of the series is solid plots that allow these characters to
V Myers
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun series

I am enjoying this series as a whole though not as much as the Watchmaker series - all the characters are well written and developed in that one. I have to admit that this book has been my favorite in the Ministry series so far primarily because Charlie isn't in it. I find her character too inconsistent, immature and annoying - I know she is young but she takes away from the story and the other characters. Still, the author has a way of keeping the story interesting enough that I want
Camilla
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I really loved reading the story from Lincoln's perspective. It was wonderful to see how he had changed since Charlie came into his life and how much her absence was felt. I also loved seeing Seth, Gus, and Cook rally around Charlie. Seth's mother was an unknown but she grew on me and I loved how the story ended.
Eve
Pretty alright. Loved the introduction of Seth’s mum along with the Ministry Members wives. Julia has become even more of a nuisance and Lincoln didn’t do enough pining.

Plot wise, nothing really happened but seeing things from Lincoln’s perspective was interesting. I’m curious to see what happens in the next book.

I hope we get to kill Julia :))
Haley Smith
No where near as good as the other books. The author seemed to struggle more writing in his perspective it also seemed to waver bits from the previous books in quality at several points. It was a must read to continue the series but I was sort of dissapointing
Sarah Battease
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I like all of C. J. Archer's books that I've read. They are entertaining, quick reads. No, the characters (women especially) do not act like typical Victorians. However, magic wasn't really around then either, so I think a little artistic license should be allowed.
Savannah Todd
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love!!!!

I love this series so much so far!!! I love the character growth with Lincoln the most, Having this book from his point of view really let you get to know his struggle a lot better. Rushing to the next one now.
Natasha du Plessis
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lincoln has done the unspeakable and has send Charlie away. He is not in the good books of Guy and Seth and is in trouble with how he handles things.
I love CJ Archer's writing style and how she brings her characters to life.
Lillybee
I am enjoying the series but the books are too expensive. They are a fairly short and could easily have fit into longer stories, not really worth the money to read all of them. I see there are nine so far, no idea if that is all of them or if there are more to come
Valerie A Quinn
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I. Cannot. Stop!

I started with CJ's Glass and Steele series, then when I found this one, with so many I couldn't resist! While this was a short novella, it was a beautiful book from the other prospective. I can't wait, yet I never want the series to end!
Elizabeth
Too short

While I couldn't have put up with Fitzroy's moping and stubbornness for much longer, I still expect more length and substance from a novel. This felt like half the story. 2,5 stars
ari
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, 2020, paranormal
me the entire book: Lincoln u dumbass get your head out of your ass and fix this.

Seriously though, it was nice to hear from Lincoln's perspective. The author could have done more as far as character development and plot, but this was fine.
Donna
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not exactly from Lincoln's POV. Just follows him rather than Charlie. Not 1st person view.
margie jedrzejas
Keep reading

He has to realizes he needs her...She needs all of them. Must keep reading.! Evil is there for sure!! Read n enjoy

• Awakening (Return of the Elves, #6)
  • Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
  • Why Is Nothing Ever Simple? (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #10.6)
  • Solstice Day Gifts (The Emperor's Edge, #7.5)
  • Fall of Dragons: an urban fantasy, dragon reverse harem romance (Dragon Dojo Brotherhood Book 5)
  • Wyrde and Wayward (House of Werth Book 1)
  • Aftermath (Decons and Magical Nulls-Elite Division #1)
  • Nefertiti's Heart (Artifact Hunters, #1)
  • To Catch A Rogue (London Steampunk: The Blue Blood Conspiracy #4)
  • When Did You Last See Your Father? (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #10.5)
  • Bewitched Incubus Mate (MatchMater Paranormal Dating App, #2)
  • Druid Vices and a Vodka (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #6)
  • Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)
  • Night Before New Year's
  • The Golden Spider (Elemental Steampunk Chronicles, #1)
  • Angel (The Sacred Oath Series Book 1)
  • How to Kiss an Undead Bride: The Epilogues (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #7)
  • Jinxed (Karma, #2)
C.J. Archer has loved history and books for as long as she can remember and feels fortunate that she found a way to combine the two. She spent her early childhood in the dramatic beauty of outback Queensland, Australia, but now lives in suburban Melbourne with her husband, two children and a mischievous black & white cat named Coco.

While she has written historical romance in the past, she now

The Ministry of Curiosities (10 books)
  • The Last Necromancer (The Ministry of Curiosities, #1)
  • Her Majesty's Necromancer (The Ministry of Curiosities, #2)
  • Beyond The Grave (The Ministry of Curiosities, #3)
  • Grave Expectations (Ministry of Curiosities, #4)
  • From The Ashes (The Ministry of Curiosities #6)
  • Of Fates And Phantoms (The Ministry of Curiosities, #7)
  • Veiled in Moonlight (The Ministry of Curiosities, #8)
  • Vow of Deception (The Ministry of Curiosities #9)
  • The Wisdom of Madness (Ministry of Curiosities Book 10)