Start by marking “Born for This: How to Find the Work You Were Meant to Do” as Want to Read:
Born for This: How to Find the Work You Were Meant to Do

Born for This: How to Find the Work You Were Meant to Do

Have you ever met someone with the perfect job?

To the outside observer, it seems like they've won the career lottery—that by some stroke of luck or circumstance they've found the one thing they love so much that it doesn't even feel like work—and they're getting paid well to do it.

In reality, their good fortune has nothing to do with chance. There’s a method for finding
Published April 5th 2016 by Crown Business

To ask other readers questions about Born for This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born for This

Start your review of Born for This: How to Find the Work You Were Meant to Do
abby
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book says a lot, without saying much of anything at all. There is honestly nothing in this book that readers haven't gleamed from other sources or simply common sense.

The author stresses the importance of a Joy-Money-Flow model. It's where what you love, what you're good at, and what pays a livable wage come together on the Venn diagram. I think most people already know this. The problem, imo, is that it genuinely does not exist for a majority of people, and the missing element is usually
Amanda
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am such a sucker for these type of books. I read them thinking that 'this will surely be the book that maps out my future for me!' And then I end up learning virtually nothing new. Writing is fine and there are a few interesting stories of how others found their dream work....I am still waiting for my great epiphany....
Mike
Well that was another mild disappointment. Lots of rah-rah cheerleading talk, some really short, superficial stories of when (not how) people achieved their dream job or what they thought differently but not how they exercised the demons of doubt we all carry.

Some interesting notions to consider like "write your resume of the future to help define your goals", but it's also spoiled by unhelpful BS like "don't just be good - be so good they can't ignore you".

Did not finish - moving on to The
Lea
This was only ok. If you’ve never thought about work outside of the classical 9-5 setup, this might be an ok starting point. It’s not very focused or action-oriented, which is how I prefer my self help
Books and this is definitely a career self help book. It’s heavy on the anecdotes - something I hate in self help books. I still agree with most of the content, there just wasn’t anything new, especially if you’ve already read another book by the same author. I got more out of the 100 $ startup
Candace
Gives you a framework for thinking about your life and what work might be your best suited match. The first half of the book is a lot of conceptual/inspirational stuff and the second half gets into slightly more specific information on various topics, however this book is really just a starting point to get you thinking - if you want a career change you will have to do a lot more thinking and research than just what this book provides.
Jocelin Higgins
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Born for This is an easy to understand and quite useful guide to exploring and navigating one's career world in the current age.

Chris reaches out to people that are still looking for their optimal and best fit career or who want to find more than one to increase their income with a side hustle.

He offers practical advice and gives plenty of examples of people who are working their dream job, which is encouraging for people to read who haven't found theirs yet.
He stresses finding work with the
Pam Boling
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I'd like to say that I am not one who received an ARC. I know some think reviews from ARC readers might be biased, so please dispense with that thinking straight away.

I have, however, followed Chris' blog for many years, although I've done so mostly 'in the shadows.' I've read two of his other books, and this one pales in comparison, in my opinion. It is still a good read. A book like this one is necessarily generic. It would be impossible to be specific, so if you're looking for
B
Feb 16, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think there was anything all that new in here to enlighten readers. Some of the metaphors didn't quite fit, many of the situations were oversimplified and generic, and some of the stories (and ultimately, advice) is contradictory. The writing style was average, but accessible. But, maybe that was your point: appeal to the masses. 300+pages of blah
Ayelet
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
This book made me re-think my own work in terms of the intersection of joy/work/flow. Are all three needs being met? Is this the job I was born to do? Should I be developing a side hustle? Definite yes on that last part.
E. H. Nathasia
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Born For This shows you how to find the work you were meant to do, which actually might consist of many different forms of work over the course of your life, by showing you the power of a side hustle, proper risk-assessment, creating your own job and pursuing all of your passions – one at a time."

This is the second book of Chris Guillebeau that I read after Side Hustle. And I am not disappointed. Where Side Hustle is an 123-ABC type of to-do-list type of book, Born for This is at a higher
Sumit Singla
Born for This is a bit of a disappointment. And in hindsight, the title does appear to be that of a self-help book - something that promises you a pot of gold. And if you haven't got your pot of gold already, then clearly you're not trying hard enough.

I thought the author tries too hard to oversimplify things and preach at the reader. The stories and anecdotes are sketchy and honestly not enough to make a significant enough change in my life.

Advice like "Don't just be good, be so good they
Cosmic Arcata
I read this book twice! I loved the examples and the path to finding what you were born to do. It is organic as opposed to linear (school). I have seen these ideas in action both in my own life and in others. The ideas expressed here are a jumping off point for your own growth. No one can tell you what you were born to do. But listening to this book can give you channels that you might not have thought of for finding that next opportunity.
Teri Temme
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! The 3 Minute MBA is spot on. I would not trade my MBA experience, but if you are short on time or money - this is all you need to know! Chris does it again
Colleen Wainwright
Full disclosure: I adore Chris Guillebeau as both an all-around great human and a writer. He is generous, curious, kind. He is true blue. He looks out for other people's best interest, and has as his main goal in life to help other people connect with what will help them most fully come alive (which I believe means to either to find that particular thing you're meant to be doing, or to adopt a way of being that allows you to be in deepest service no matter where you are—and hopefully, both).

Judge
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started following Chris Guillebeau because of his knowledge of travel and travel hacking. I then read his book 'The Art of Non-Conformity' and enjoyed that one. I was lucky enough to get an advance copy of his latest book 'Born For This' and got to meet him in person on his book tour.
These kind of books are great reinforcements for the thoughts I already have as well as introducing new ideas for me to mull over. Each reader will take away different things from this book. Some may find it very
Karen Fasimpaur
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you met someone who seems to have the perfect job or career? Have you wondered if there’s something more for you in the world of work, but felt like it was out of reach? Finding the work you were born for is one of the best things in the world, and in this book, Chris Guillebeau lays out the vision and then supplies the methods and tools to achieve it.

Guillebeau establishes the key components in finding what you were born to do: finding joy (what you like to do), flow (what you’re good at),
Samantha
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got an advance copy of the book and given that I've been in the same (meant-to-do) job/profession for 20 years thought it would be a book that would help me around supporting my patients who are unhappy or in transition. What I ended up with was that and more.

I gave it 5 stars because of the impact it has already had on my 'side hustle.' Guillebeau's approach got me thinking about how I can approach my second business in a very different and more effective way. This alone made it well worth
Sam
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. I thought it was written well and it was engaging. It had a lot of great advice and I found it to be very encouraging and inspiring. I bought this book because I love Chris' other book: The Happiness of Pursuit. I would recommend this book to anyone interested or who is struggling to figure out what they want to do with their life. I'm excited to see Chris next week while he's on tour!
Charles Franklin
Great, non-traditional guide to building a non-traditional life.
Kaylie
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for self-help books but still find them difficult to rate and review. It's my fault, really. Despite following various authors on habits, essentialism, marketing, and entrepreneurship, I expected some life-changing light bulb moment. When in reality, these books require wading through the murkiness, without a flashlight.

What am I born for? According to author Guillebeau, it's something (or things) that align joy, flow, and money. Uh-huh. Never heard that before. His quiz suggests I
Jo Ann
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Hard to read a book called _Born for This_ without any sense of calling, so the book _Courage and Calling_ gets a much higher rating from me in its holistic presentation of life work.

There are good concepts in this book though, particularly if you are someone like me who has a lot of interests that could become long-term things, but also have limitations.

Some quotes/concepts:
-JOY: What you like to do (top priority), followed by MONEY (what supports and sustains you), followed by FLOW (what you
Madam J
If you're a self-help/inspiration book fiend like me, you put up with a lot of repetition and spend a lot of time questioning your life book choices. Sometimes though, there's a payoff when you find something you didn't expect, or an author takes a deep-dive into a subject and you actually learn something new about yourself, the world, or a subject.

This book didn't do that. It didn't fall to the bottom of the pile, but runs somewhere in the lower-middle of the pack. There was no new real
Colleen
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book had some interesting and unique perspectives on finding one's life work. I like the Joy-Money-Flow concept. The author presents some interesting, and even quirky, approaches to finding what you want in your career. I like some of the concepts like having a "side hustle", a 24-job, being a "self-employed" employee, etc. The focus seems aimed toward entrepreneurial endeavors, but I think it has insights that can be used for job hunting, networking, and just looking at work and the joy ...more
Hannah
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots to highlight, screen shot, write down, and send to friends. I found this plenty motivating and thought-provoking as I consider my next hybrid career move(s).
Kelly Hamilton
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend this book for anyone looking to made a career change or wanting to start their own business. This book gave me some great ideas!
Reaz
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. The author says that writing a book isn’t that hard. Well, if you repeat the same things over and over, I guess it isn’t.
S
Sep 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: productivity
In his book “Born for This: How to Find the Work You Were Meant to Do,” Chris Guillbeau talks about exactly the same. Chris Guillbeau is the author of other books such as “The $100 Startup” and “The Happiness of Pursuit”. This book is in line with his other books, focusing on how you can work outside the 9-5 economy. The author begins the book with listing some of the traditional assumptions (he calls them “scripts”) we learn/absorb as we become members of the market economy. Some of these ...more
Lance
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book along the lines of Cal Newport's "Be So Good They Can't Ignore You" and "Deep Work," this chronicles case studies and tips for how to find meaningful work regardless of your current career status.
John Majors
I've enjoyed all of Guillebeau's books, and this one is as solid as the other two I've read. He's great at giving vision for a new work reality to those who feel stuck. If you're not sure what vocation you should be pursuing, this is worth reading to help guide you. Also read his "Art of Non-Conformity" (one of my favorites) and "The Happiness of Pursuit." Those are fantastic. He's lived his personal and work life as a learner and a discoverer and has much wisdom to offer.
Favio Zúñiga soto
I guess I got this book out of curiosity, because sure, the title is very direct and you can assume what the content will be (stories, pieces of advice and so on), but then I thought what would it be in there to really help you "find the work you were meant to do". I mean, that doesn't sound like an easy thing to do at all.

So does it make it?, did I change jobs and magically find that thing I didn't know I've always looked for?, well, no, or I would like to say not yet.

It is a nice book I would
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Will It Fly?: How to Test Your Next Business Idea So You Don't Waste Your Time and Money
  • The Complete Enneagram: 27 Paths to Greater Self-Knowledge
  • The Proximity Principle: The Proven Strategy That Will Lead to a Career You Love
  • Bike Snob: Systematically & Mercilessly Realigning the World of Cycling
  • Juliet's School of Possibilities: A Little Story about the Power of Priorities
  • Creative Calling: Establish a Daily Practice, Infuse Your World with Meaning, and Succeed in Work + Life
  • Moonshot!
  • Wayne Dyer's Ultimate Library
  • The Way of the Seal Journal
  • Kick Ass with Mel Robbins: Life-Changing Advice from the Author of “The 5 Second Rule"
  • Company of One: Why Staying Small Is the Next Big Thing for Business
  • The Art of Leaving
  • Quitter: Closing the Gap Between Your Day Job and Your Dream Job
  • How to Save Your Own Life: 15 Lessons on Finding Hope in Unexpected Places
  • Joy Enough: A Memoir
  • Confident Ruby
  • The School of Greatness: A Real-World Guide to Living Bigger, Loving Deeper, and Leaving a Legacy
  • Fear Is My Homeboy: How to Slay Doubt, Boss Up, and Succeed on Your Own Terms
Chris Guillebeau is the New York Times bestselling author of The $100 Startup and other books. During a lifetime of self-employment, he visited every country in the world (193 in total) before his 35th birthday. Every summer in Portland, Oregon he hosts the World Domination Summit, a gathering of creative, remarkable people. Chris also hosts Side Hustle School, a popular podcast that is downloaded ...more
“Finding the work you were meant to do is rarely a linear journey. It’s a process of exploring many little twists and turns that lead us to the place we ultimately belong. THE WINNING” 0 likes
“It’s less about how do I find time and more about why do I find time. You’ll always find time for things that have a strong enough why.” She” 0 likes