Start by marking “The Lost Diaries of Elizabeth Cady Stanton” as Want to Read:
The Lost Diaries of Elizabeth Cady Stanton

The Lost Diaries of Elizabeth Cady Stanton

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  21 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Johnstown, New York, 1823: It is a time when a wife’s dowry, even children, automatically becomes her husband’s property. Slavery is an economic advantage entrenched in America but rumblings of abolition abound.
For Elizabeth Cady to confront this culture is unheard of, yet that is exactly what she does. Before she can become a leader of the women's rights movement and pr
Published February 22nd 2016 by Booklocker.com

Teddy
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Cady was not like other girls growing up in 19th century Johnstown, New York. She hated working on her embroidery sample and didn’t understand why she couldn’t take part in more intellectual pursuits like talking about law with her father’s law students. Her father wished, often out loud, that she was a boy.

When it came time for her coming out, she wouldn’t do it. Sure, she liked boys but wanted one who would be more her intellectual equal and agree with her that women should have the
Angie Fehl
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

When I mentioned to my mother that I was reading this book, her response was, "Elizabeth Cady Stanton... that name sounds familiar for some reason..." Many of you might be having a similar response to the title of this book. That might be because you might mostly know Stanton for being a bestie of suffragette bigwig Susan B. Anthony. Together, these two ladies (along with many, many others let's not forget) were a powerhouse team for getting the vote for women, though Stanton sadly did
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love books like this. When a real person from history is put into fiction. It seems real enough and gives you a good account of what their like could have been like.
This was a very interesting read. In the beginning it was a little slow for me because she was a young girl, but started picking up as she got older.

I was very excited to get this book because I have always been interested in Elizabeth Cady Stanton. I grew up, lived, married, and raised my daughter just 30 miles from Seneca falls!
LAWonder10
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth (Lib) Cady was advanced beyond her years intellectually and otherwise. She began reading early and by the time she was seven years of age - against social decorum - had read many of her father's books - even law books.  She had an insatiable hunger for knowledge and a strong opinion on truth and justice.
Lib's father was an accomplished lawyer, respected Judge and taught groups of law students in his home regularly. Forbidden to attend, Lib would sometimes sneak and hide close by where
Sherrie Miranda
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book at The Women's History Museum at Liberty Station here in San Diego. My mother's maiden name was Cady & I wanted to see if there was anything that hinted at our being related to Miss Cady.
But, once I got reading it, I was fascinated by this woman, who although a feminist by today's standards, still loved fancy clothes & parties. She loved talking with the men, which at that time was not allowed. I loved seeing how she continued her education by getting others on her sid
Stephanie
Nov 18, 2016 rated it liked it
We all know Elizabeth Cady Stanton as a fearless abolitionist and crusader for women’s rights. However, I did not know a lot about her early life and how her youth was able to shape the woman that helped to change history. I have been fortunate enough to visit her house and the Women’s Rights Museum that accompanies it, so reading The Lost Diaries of Elizabeth Cady Stanton was a treat for me. Elizabeth’s diaries begin when she is a young child listening in on her father’s sessions with young law ...more
Carole Rae
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've always been a fan of Elizabeth Cady. Yes, yes, she helped women get the right to vote and helped slaves be free. Those things make her a force to be reckoned with. However, I really find her an interesting and intriguing. I've read and seen many videos/movies about Elizabeth as a suffragette, but there is pretty much nothing about her early life.

This book covers the early life of this great woman. It was wonderful to read. Very entertaining. The beginning was a little slow, but it did get
Isi

"The lost diaries of Elizabeth Cady Stanton" is a work of fiction based on the early life of this historical figure, Elizabeth Cady Stanton: her family background, her education, and her willingness of being equal as any men from an early age; all of which is presented in small chapters narrating some events, followed by the possible entry that could have been written in this girl’s diary.
I think that the narration could have been better, but in summary, I have to say that I really enjoyed knowi
Jackie Wolfred
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"The Lost Diaries of Elizabeth Cady Stanton", by Sarah Bates is a historical fiction account of Elizabeth Cady Stanton's childhood and upbringing illustrating a likely glimpse into what influenced her strong leanings for women's rights, and for abolishing slavery.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and learning about the woman who was instrumental in forwarding the cause for women. She was a remarkable character, much before her time. This book is an encouragement to dig deeper into the hist
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

Elizabeth Cady Stanton is a name that you would know if you have read a few books about the relationship between getting women the right to vote and freeing slaves. I hadn't known that these movements actually came together until I read about it a few times.

I enjoyed this one. It definitely was a good historical fiction read. I loved seeing how one woman just kept pushing the envelope over and over again until someone got it and helped her move for
Angela Ryser Bahling
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this novel from a Goodreads Firstreads giveaway and really enjoyed it. Was a bit disappointed that the story was only told of Elizabeth Cady Stanton's formative years and not about her actual endeavors in regard to abolition and women's rights.

There were some editing errors in regard to chronology of events which caused mild confusion but I guess editing errors are to be expected in the times in which we live.
Diana Petty-stone
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A look into the early years of the life of the powerful crusader of women's rights. This fiction based on fact story shows how Elizabeth Cady became such a strong willed young lady when women were expected to stay at home and tend to the family and how she met her soul-mate Henry Stanton who was a crusader for abolition.
Mike Stack
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
This was a very enjoyable read. I received a copy of this book from Goodreads. I quite loved this book and it told a story of a very interesting person. This was a nice read, very sweet and interesting.
Laurie
Mar 09, 2016
Lorie Argent
Mar 17, 2018
Crazyarms777
rated it did not like it
May 24, 2018
Jane
Christine Zibas
Linda Johnson
  • Why Be Jewish?: A Testament
  • Grant vs. Lee: The Graphic History of the Civil War's Greatest Rivals During the Last Year of the War
  • Reincarnation (The Legend of Snow Wolf, #1)
  • Blue Ridge Mountain Heritage
  • Tongwan City
  • The River Girl (The Hanningdon Magic Series, #2)
  • The Unknown Universe: A New Exploration of Time, Space, and Modern Cosmology
  • The French Girl's War
  • Blood of the Lamb: A Novel of Secrets
  • A World Elsewhere: An American Woman in Wartime Germany
  • A Reader's Book of Days: True Tales from the Lives and Works of Writers for Every Day of the Year
  • He Wanted the Moon: The Madness and Medical Genius of Dr. Perry Baird, and His Daughter's Quest to Know Him
  • Pattern Play: Cut, Fold and Make Your Own 3D Animal Models - With more than 45 stickers
  • Make It Grow: Bring nature to life by lifting the flaps
  • The Orb of Truth (The Horn King, #1)
  • Animal Planet Ocean Animals (Animal Bites Series)
  • Amazing (Mostly) Edible Science: A Family Guide to Fun Experiments in the Kitchen
  • 23 Ways to Be an Eco Hero: A step-by-step guide to creative ways you can save the world
I worked in advertising for over 20 years, first as a production manager, then as an account executive and finally as an copywriter. After that I free-lanced copywriting. My clients included a book packager, the local chamber of commerce, a travel newsletter and a weekly newspaper where I covered business and schools. I now write fiction full time.

My short fiction has appeared in the Greenwich Vil