Start by marking “Cat Laughing Last (Joe Grey, #7)” as Want to Read:
Cat Laughing Last (Joe Grey, #7)

Cat Laughing Last (Joe Grey #7)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  669 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Fans of Lillian Jackson Braun and Rita Mae Brown and cat lovers everywhere will delight in this newest mystery featuring two furry felines on the scent of a killer.

Famous novelist Elliot Traynor is temporarily living in Molena Point. He and his wife don't have much to do with the villagers, which is fine with them since no one particularly likes Vivi. But their arrival has
Published November 5th 2002 by Avon (first published December 24th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Cat Laughing Last, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Laughing Last

Sandie Herron
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat lovers, cozy lovers, lover of character-driven mysteries
Recommended to Sandie by: A Novel Idea, collecting series
As Joe Grey and Dulcie stroll the streets and rooftops of Molena Point, California, they are privvy to information no human is aware of. For you see, they are cats. Even among their own furry kind, they are unique and extraordinary, for they can speak just like human beings. Very few humans are aware of their amazing talents, as the felines strive to hide their intellectual ability. However confidential their speaking abilities may be, Joe and Dulcie are key informants to Captain Max Harper of t ...more
Audrey Stephens
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well I am a huge fan of Lillian Jackson Braun's "Cat Who..." books so I was a little skeptical about trying a new cat detective series. I was pleasantly surprised by this well written fun book. Never mind that the cats actually talk to humans (and call them on the phone) and that the location is set in a thinly disguised Carmel-By-The-Sea, it was a fun mystery with several good twists and turns. Well worth the time.
Judym
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Interesting read but the cats not only talk to each other, they talk to a few people. It's too much of a stretch for my money.
Eyehavenofilter
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cat-mysteries
Again talking detective cats? Who could ask for more?
Norra
Nov 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: finished-reading
Highly predictable and dragged on and on.
Chris Meads
Joe Grey, Dulcie and Kit are at it again.

A famous writer has come to Molena Point, along with his snippy young wife. He is there to finish his book and work on a play based on his book as well. And there are events around town causing an uproar--according to the writer's story, based on history of the region, little caskets made of wood, may hold letters from the past and are worth a lot of money that someone would kill to get a hold of.

Joe is on the hunt after one of the caskets in the hand of
Fred Nachbrunn
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow Major character reset

Best book in series so far.
Brings together many from previous books.
Resets relationships.
Future books in series should be outstanding.
Books in this series should be read in order.
EBook Novels Cat For The Money should be read befor this book.
Jen
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Honestly, this was one fo the best books of the series so far; it captures the energy of the first book without the formulaicness of the following ones. I'm not sure why it's better--maybe because I'm a sucker for the theatre, or maybe because I like that Murphy is mixing up her human characters a bit, or maybe I'm glad the tortoiseshell kit finally had a purpose other than to give Joe and Dulcie something to dialogue about. (But no, I'm still not a fan of that character.) I also appreciated tha ...more
Alannah Davis
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is #7 in the Joe Grey series, but the first book I've read in the series and by this author. It stands on its own very well. Joe Grey and his companion Dulcie are feline sleuths who can talk to humans - but choose to reveal their talents to very few. A famous author - reportedly ill with cancer - and his loathesome young wife arrive in Joe and Dulcie's small town of Molena Point. While the author finishes a book that causes worry to his agent and a fan, he and his wife cause a stir whi ...more
Elly Wendy
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
2* Well, I did manage to listen to the end and found some parts cute and amusing. Among other things, since it didn't hold my interest, I couldn't sort out all the characters. I doubt I'll look for more in the series.

Listening: This isn't going well. Not sure if I'll be able to finish listening or not. In so many ways, this is not my cup of tea, so I won't rate it. Cat lovers may find it amusing.
Regan
Jan 01, 2011 added it
I really do like the little kitten that Ms. Murphy has added to the series.

This one, however, almost read like the others. Joe is getting a bit retrospective, he and Clyde are fighting more than I like, although I did like the twist in the end. I figured out how the killer was pulling it off the first time Charlie read the book chapter (you have to read the book to find out what I mean) but it was still fun to see it fleshed out.
Shandi Leonard
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book! I didn't know this was a series of books but I loved it all the same. Joe grey, dulcie and the kit are lovely creatures and their people are pretty good too. I love hot the cats have mouths and minds of their own and can communicate with Clyde, Wilma and Charlie so easily. Even with murders and mayhem in the picture these three almost always keep their cool. I would love to read more from them!
Emily Cullen
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
A body is discovered in Susan Brittain's house along with all her eBay treasures stolen, people are stealing from other people at yard sales and a famous writer has moved into Molena Point, CA. It's up to felines Joe Grey, Dulcie and the Kit to figure out how all these events relate. I really enjoy this cozy mystery series (A Joe Grey mystery) because the three cats can talk and read. If you're not a cat lover this may not be the series for you.
Sylvie Parris
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked that this book was written mostly from the cats' point of view, and that the author could give you insight into a few of the human characters as well. Things could have been tied up a little bit neater, as I felt a slight dissatisfaction with the involvement of all the players. Still, I enjoyed the book, and will likely read more in the series.
Lydia Erickson
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!!!

Joe Grey, Dulcie, and the kit return in this 7th installment of a delightful series. You will laugh, and be brought to tears by the antics of the cats as they assist law enforcement in solving this very complex murder. Even a dog person will like this one as several dogs are highlighted in this story. Enjoy!
Lydia Erickson
Katy M
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
My mother gave me this book. I love cats. And I like books where cats talk to each other and dogs and other animals. But, when they talk to humans, it goes to far for my taste. The police chief's girlfriend is a housekeeper. She steals glasses for him to get fingerprints. Totally illegal. But, supposedly it's OK since it's all for a good cause. Totally predictable outcome.
Phair
Jan 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
It had been a while since my last Joe Grey so it took some time to get back up to speed on the various relationships in Molena Point. Murphy does include plenty of recap info- maybe even too much- as the narrative line seemed uneven. I sort of guessed the big 'mystery' but she does make you care about the regulars. A very comfortable, homey series entry.
Katherine
Jan 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book is a mystery with talking cats. I kid you not. Detective cat Joe Grey investigates the connection between a visiting author and a botched burglary. Dramatic and thoroughly cute. I especially like the little details, like difficulties that cats face when trying to use cell phones.
Elsa Troy-Slovik
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This was such a cute book with the cats and the old ladies. It felt like Agatha Christie thrown in a California with cats playing Miss Marple. Somehow it works really well. I was pleasantly surprised and 4 years later I still remember it.
Pat
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm reading them whenever I find one I haven't read at the library, so they are not being read in order. Each can stand alone, so no problem! I thought the twist at the end made this one especially good.
Tami
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audio book and with this being my first of the series, I had a little trouble following the characters. I did enjoy the story line and especially liked the ending. There was a twist I didn't see coming as well.
Ruth Ellen
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
my mom suggested I read this author. So I went and got her books. and surprise...they are good. I love the cats in this and the people who are close to them. It is a different twist on mysteries. YOU be the judge.
Talietha
Jan 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
add a new person to the list who know...
Kim
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Every series has one weak book and this one was pretty lame on the premise compared to the others before it.
Sheila
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Talking cat detectives. I kid you not. "It was ok".
Vicky
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this entire series… the cats who can talk and solve mysteries… what fun… definitely a cozy mystery, but then I love them… nothing I have to concentrate on...
Terri
Joe Grey
Cheryl
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews
The series is starting to get a little old. Add a few characters, change up the who-hooks-up-with-whom. I figured out who dunnit too soon.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
love that ensemble of characters
  • Cat in a Vegas Gold Vendetta (Midnight Louie, #23)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1)
  • The Cat, the Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
Shirley Rousseau Murphy is the author of over 40 books, including the award-winning Joe Grey cat mystery series and three other novels for adults, the Dragonbards Trilogy and more for young adults, and many books for children. She grew up in southern California, riding and showing the horses her father trained. After attending the San Francisco Art institute she worked as an interior designer, and ...more
More about Shirley Rousseau Murphy

Joe Grey (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Cat on the Edge (Joe Grey, #1)
  • Cat Under Fire (Joe Grey, #2)
  • Cat Raise the Dead (Joe Grey, #3)
  • Cat in the Dark (Joe Grey, #4)
  • Cat To The Dogs (Joe Grey, #5)
  • Cat Spitting Mad (Joe Grey, #6)
  • Cat Seeing Double (Joe Grey, #8)
  • Cat Fear No Evil (Joe Grey, #9)
  • Cat Cross Their Graves (Joe Grey, #10)
  • Cat Breaking Free (Joe Grey, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• A Quiet Life In The Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Deliver Her
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Monk (The Hangman's Daughter, #2)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Rain Girl (Franza Oberwieser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shuddering
  • The Unseeing
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The 7th Canon
  • The Sisterhood
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Question of Inheritance (A Very English Mystery #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Good Neighbor
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shark Skin Suite (Serge Storms #18)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Free Fall (The John Ceepak Mysteries)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Interference
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Man of Some Repute (A Very English Mystery #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In The Market For Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beggar King (The Hangman's Daughter, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Poisoned Pilgrim (The Hangman's Daughter, #4)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • End of Secrets
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Sun Storm (Rebecka Martinsson, #1)
  • Only the Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Eagle Has Landed (The Liam Devlin Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Red Herring Without Mustard (Flavia de Luce, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Dressmaker's Dowry
  • The Lost Ones
  • The Halo Effect
  • The God's Eye View
  • What She Knew
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Werewolf of Bamberg (The Hangman's Daughter, # 5)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The 7th Victim: A Novel: Volume 1 (The Karen Vail Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shattered Tree (Bess Crawford, #8)
  • The Dante Club