Start by marking “Seeking the Veil, Part 1” as Want to Read:
Seeking the Veil, Part 1

Seeking the Veil, Part 1

This is an alternate cover edition for B00OH672FY

Seek your Purpose, Seek your Power. Seek the Veil.

Young Hestea left his secret home to fight back against an age-old enemy. But he has no power, only the untested warhammer on his back. With his unwitting magi companion Gunter at his side, they seek their destinies in the cold wilds of Beckenburg.

Joining a band of mercena
Published February 2016 by Clifton Hill (first published October 13th 2014)

Dianne
A restless young man travels to seek his destiny as a warrior against an ancient enemy with the dreams of heroism on his mind. Hestea was untested in battle, a tall young man, he carried his warhammer on his back, but using it was another matter and the echoes of his father’s words came to him as he faced his first taste of war, death and the true meaning of bravery and it didn’t mean you were not afraid.

Follow Hestea and his Magi companion, Gunter as they join a band of mercenaries and become
Boundless Book Reviews
After reading Seeking the Veil, it’s obvious that this is the beginning of an AWESOME series. Hestea is the perfect character to develop first. I enjoyed sharing his journey to adulthood. All the characters were great. I was at the edge of my seat one minute, and laughing my bum off the next. I look forward to this series and getting to know all the characters better. To sum it up; Love it!!!! Definitely, a 5 star rating!...Beth

Sean
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I thoroughly enjoyed this 1st part of prequel trilogy with Hammerblood.

Hestea is really well thought about and a very likeable character who finds his goal in an unlikely occasion.

I found it a very good read and will definitely read the next 2 in Hammerblood series.
Donna Sanders
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling, fast paced fantasy adventure. I was gripped from the very first page. The author has done an amazing job with the character and plot development. Each chapter easily flows into the next. I can't wait to get my hands on part 2.
Lars Teeney
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seeking the Veil is a great introductory read for those new to Clifton Hill's writing. Hill paints a very vivid medieval style world, with miniscule details befitting a Martin or Tolkien.

It follows protagonist Hestea during his formative years attempting to become a warrior. He tries and is humiliated but eventually makes progress. The Magi were also a nice touch for the story.

Readers who enjoy a fantasy for its fantasy merits will enjoy the fighting. If you are a reader who has researched medi
Robin Houghton
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent descriptive prose and as a prequel to Veil of a Warrior it works well and keeps you keen to read more, as towards the end you are left wondering what the untold mystery is. Plenty of action, even Hestea's more mundane moments are written interestingly. The only irritation for me was the overuse of the word `braided' when referring to body hair. Omit a few or swap it for `plaited' nasal hair or `woven' armpit hair etc would help. Jokes aside the book is written much more seriously than ...more
Kayla
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seeking the Veil, Part 1 is a good choice for those that enjoy the classic medieval style books.

I enjoyed the author's writing style. It's vivid without being convoluted or boring. The pacing was done well. The characters were interesting and I'd be interested to see how they develop over the course of the series.

* This book was received from the author in exchange for an honest review. *
Michael Wood
Short story or novella?

Swords and sorcery take center stage in this short story. A young man searches out a mercenary group to fight a dreaded enemy. At first he doesn't seem like much and is assigned to the kitchen of the mercenary band. When the cook is killed by the enemy, the young man finds his own berserk self in battle.
L.K. Evans
It’s always hard to review short stories. This one came in at a mere 60 pages, and as with most sort stories I read I just didn’t connect. It was not bad at all, just didn’t pull me in enough. I know this is a prequel and there’s a bigger story out there. Sorry to say, but this review will be rather short. Don’t want to give anything away and I don’t have a lot of material to review.

This story follows Hestea as he embarks on a mission to find purpose and fight against an enemy.

Honestly it’s a li
Jon Cassan
Clifton Hill
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of adventure, fantasy and action
What can I say, I'm biased. Seeking the Veil was born out of a curiosity: What came before Veil of a Warrior? Was there a shorter story that might invite readers into the world without having to commit to a giant 500+ page epic fantasy novel?

Yes there was. Part 1 of Seeking the Veil is free on Amazon & Kobo and Parts 2 & 3 are free for signing up for my newsletter http://eepurl.com/SVhLr
Greg Benham
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Hall's certainly a decent enough writer (especially among the field of self-published fantasy novelists), but the story itself was fairly ho-hum. Hestea's world could have done with a bit more fleshing out, but I imagine/hope that comes with later instalments.
Tom Britton
May 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Little slow for quick read ,only picks ups near the end ,not bad for fantasy book ,recommended because it free
Lamar
May 26, 2019
Julia
Mar 25, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Cover update 2 19 Feb 24, 2016 08:09AM
Clifton Hill discovered robots in the Fourth Grade when his grandmother handed him a book by Isaac Asimov. Science fiction absorbed him for the next couple years until a little piece called the Belgariad came along, bringing magic and an incredible new world.

Bouncing throughout speculative fiction, Clifton became absorbed by video games, comics and has a degree in Computer Animation. He has dabble