Start by marking “Dear Jane” as Want to Read:
Dear Jane

Dear Jane

The plan was to serve a mission, marry her boyfriend, and live happily ever after. But all of that changed when Quinn got a Dear Jane email. Now she's stuck at home with no boyfriend, no job, no major, and absolutely no social life. Will Quinn ever find the path that leads to her eternal happiness?
Published August 9th 2016 by Cedar Fort, Inc

To ask other readers questions about Dear Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Jane

Start your review of Dear Jane
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
This book completely surprised me. The book blurb really doesn't do it justice. I didn't expect the depth and difficult topics it included in Quinn's transition back to normal life after her church mission. She has an idealized view of the gospel, that following the commandments will keep you safe from certain types of hardship and trials. That bubble is quickly popped when she is faced with rejection, family secrets are revealed, and loved ones deal with divorce, infidelity, and suicide. In the ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: chaste, romance, lds
Elements of this really worked well. Others pulled me out enough I nearly stopped reading. In all, it's a good story and the ending was fantastic.

Quinn is having a really bad year. It starts with her boyfriend dumping her while she's on her LDS mission (prologues, ugh, but worse, one with an extended flashback, double ugh) but it goes downhill from there. It's remarkable (and kudos to Ward for this) that so much tragedy didn't feel piled-on or full of unnecessary drama. There's a lot that goes w
Katie W
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
(4.5 Stars) I really loved this book on so many levels. This story is specific to the LDS (Mormon) faith and while not preachy, there are many references that those who are not of the faith won't understand.

Quinn has always been in love with her best friend's brother and after they finally get together, she decides to serve a mission. Shortly before she comes home, she receives an email that changes her life--she's been dumped. After coming home, she struggles to figure life out and as she slow
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
First off, I need to mention that this is an LDS fiction book. References specific to the LDS religion are made. There is nothing preachy, but some not familiar with this religion may not understand the references.

I really enjoyed this book. I read through it quickly and it made me smile. The characters were well defined and I could picture the scenes and places so easily. It's hard to say much without giving away the content of the book which the blurb doesn't really mention.

Quinn is a good, so
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)

Quinn is a good, so
Coco.V
Jul 18, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (7/18/2019)! 🎁
Jenny
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a quick fun read. I look forward to more books by Rachel Ward.
NaDell
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quinn is finishing up her mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints when she gets a letter from her boyfriend breaking up with her and letting her know that he is engaged (typically called a "Dear Jane" or "Dear John" letter). She gets home and is trying to figure out what she will do now that the expectation she had has changed and real life hits her hard. She has a really rough time transitioning to life after her mission and the book gets more and more interesting from there ...more
Kathryn
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun read! Great perspective of a sister missionary coming home from her mission, getting a dear jane, finding that her family isn't perfect despite doing all the right things, bad choices still have consequences. I loved the relationships between Quinn and her sister and the realistic on off relationship with her mom. Absolutely loved the ending!
Mandy Al-Bjaly
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dear Jane, by Rachel Ward, was one of those books I wasn't super excited to read. The book cover and book description didn't sound very complex or interesting, but rather kind of cheesy and uncomplicated.

If you read the book cover and think the same thing, read this book anyway, because the actual book is absolutely amazing. It really, truly is.

Now, if you aren't LDS, you probably would find this book confusing. The author does not explain anything about LDS culture or beliefs, but rather assume
Melanie
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Quinn had her life all planned out. After her mission, she was going to marry her perfect boyfriend and live a perfect life. However, three months before she came home, he broke up with her so she needed to quickly change her plans.

I loved this book! The story starts with Quinn's boyfriend, Josh, breaking up with her three months before the end of her mission. She's understandably upset but pulls herself together, determined that it won't destroy the time she has left. Then the story picks up si
Valerie
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this story. However, not being a huge fan of love triangles, I wasn't a fan of the whole Quinn, Josh, Nick thing. Josh was a jerk and I have NO IDEA why he came back. I would have just loved the story to be between Quinn and Nick. But I guess maybe for closure? But couldn't she have just told him no at the beginning instead of dating him and having feelings for Nick? Just a side note. It didn't bug me enough to not really enjoy it!
Lydia
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet LDS romance. Quinn's life took a few huge twists that brought reality too close to home and thankfully made her love triangle resolve itself carefully. I would have loved to see more of Quinn and Nick's love develop together, but appreciated a story that showed how when life throws you lemons your true soul mate will help you make lemonade.
Amber
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was nice to read an LDS book that wasn’t filled with Peter Priesthood and Molly Mormon characters, and wasn’t overly preachy. That being said, Quinn was just a generic clueless girl, and her total inability to see anything clearly really made the book drag. The author threw in so much melodrama to keep driving Quinn and Nick apart that it just grew tiresome.

Ann Marie
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very well written, loved the plot twists. Thanks for a quick, light, happy reading experience.
Marilyn
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best LDS fiction I've read. Not preachy or cheesy. The book's description doesn't do it justice. It's much deeper and covers some difficult topics. Worth the read.
Grace Tolman
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first read from this author. I stumbled upon her through one of the "listopia" lists here in Goodreads. And I'm glad I came across her work because I like her style. In the LDS community, a dear John letter is not uncommon and i'm sure a dear Jane one is not that unusual either but we go beyond our heroine's mission time. We also see her through our post mission life where things are up in the air and the plans that she had set prior to her mission is not quite the same life she is l ...more
Heather Green
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This one started out really good, but it got bogged down with life. That was probably the point, but it seemed like everything that could happen did happen and I started to think- What next? Quinn's mom was crazy. I had a really hard time with her. I also had a hard time with all the shouting and yelling. They all need counseling for their anger issues. I worried that Nick and Quinn's relationship wouldn't last because they were always screaming when issues arose between them. That being said, I ...more
Debra Brown
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just finished this book and I highly recommend it to my LDS women friends! It has a really good message. The plot is about a returned sister missionary who learns how to deal with hardships in life, and finds love along the way. The writing is a little cheesy, but I enjoyed it. I think it's so important to have LDS books that show sometimes life doesn't go the way you plan, it's not all rainbows and butterflies. I also liked how they touched on anxiety, because I have anxiety myself and it's imp ...more
Ashley
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I'm generally very leary of lds fiction for many reasons and while this is definitely an LDS novel, it wasn't heavy handed or crazy cheesy and I thoroughly enjoyed it- stayed up late to finish it and I was sad when it was over. Plus I love the main character's name: Quinn: all told from her perspective.
Ashley
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
Really cute story! Felt connecting during different chapters. Clean and easy read! :)

My favorite part was this at the very end: "I knew that the gospel was true, but it wasn't a band-aid. It wasn't a magical wall that would keep me safe from the bad stuff. It's faith and it's strength, and it's a little, tiny light in the darkness that keeps me going." ←← So good!!
Kristen
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really need to start getting on here more often to do my reviews. I've read a few books in-between this one and I remember enjoying it but not too much details to give here. While there were some heavy issues I don't feel like it pulled the book too far down.

Moral Note: Some innuendos, discussions and talk of suicide, drug addiction, mental illness, divorce and abandonment
Donna
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprise

This was a nice surprise. I really enjoyed this emotional rollercoaster. In life, things happen and having your best friend beside you makes it all bearable. No one is without trials.
Angelina
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
It was cute, but it seemed just a little bit over the top in terms of hard things happening to the main characters.
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction, romance
Cute little lds romance. An easy read.
Swhe641200
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
WT book group. Good. Read. We need to listen to the spirit not just follow what we think our dreams are
Susan
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quinn's best-laid plans may not have worked out with Joshua, but Nick Ryan is so....... worth it. Some real family issues (suicide, drug addition, estrangement) are treated along the way.
Barbara A. Faw
Jul 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read prologue & quit reading during first chapter. Not quite my cup of tea. ...more
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute read! Really fun when you know an author is from your home town
Lynette
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
How did I come to read this book? It was a gift from my daughter-in-law for my birthday, and the author just happens to live in her and my sons ward. I could see it was LDS fiction and didn't have really high expectations.
Surprise! I read it in two days and thoroughly enjoyed it. The story line went much deeper than I expected and the main characters were endearing. Good job Racheal Ward! It also helped that it took place in Utah county and she used places I frequent often in the story line. It

• Love Sidelined
  • A Date with Danger
  • Healing Hearts (Savage Wells, #2)
  • Undercover Honeymoon
  • The Lady and the Highwayman
  • The Matchmaker's Match
  • Everything She Wants
  • The Heart of a Vicar (The Jonquil Brothers #6)
  • Ella
  • Promises and Primroses (Mayfield Family #1)
  • My Sister's Intended (Serendipity #1)
  • Wrong For You
  • Blue Moon Kisses (Georgia Moon Romance #3)
  • Daisies and Devotion (Mayfield Family, #2)
  • Glass Slippers, Ever After, and Me
  • Swedish Death Cleaning for Beginners: How to Declutter and Downsize your way to a Happy Home and Life
  • Pretty Much Perfect
  • Reforming Lord Ragsdale
Rachel grew up reading every book she could get her hands on and spending time with her cat. At least, that was the report in every annual Christmas letter. The humiliation was enough to spur her into action, and she began writing. And she never stopped. Rachel studied English at Brigham Young University-Idaho and then wrote and blogged in between the births of her six children. She currently live ...more