Start by marking “Spellbound (Legend of the Ice People, #1)” as Want to Read:
Spellbound (Legend of the Ice People, #1)

Spellbound

(Sagaen om Isfolket #1)

(Description from the back of the book)
Winter 1581: a deadly plague outbreak robs sixteen-year old peasant girl Silje of all her family. Homeless, starving and shepherding two abandoned children, she stumbles out of the corpse-strewn streets of Trondheim on Norway's northern coast.

Heading desperately for the warmth of the mass funeral pyres blazing beyond the city gates, s
255 pages
Published 2008 by Tagman (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Spellbound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spellbound

Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
I never would have read this if it wasn't for Kaisa and the MacHalos!

It was written in the 80s, I believe, by an author who has sold the most books in Nordic countries. Never heard of her. Oops. But, I'm really glad I know now because I really enjoyed this!

It's an historical fantasy with heavy romantic elements about a "cursed" people and a young woman who falls in love with the most-cursed of them all. It sort of has a Beauty and the Beast vibe to it. It might possibly be a little squicky becau
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 2.5 stars. Up the review goes, down the rating flows.

A question, my Little Barnacles: you do not seriously think I read this book willingly, do you now? Oh, good. I thought it must have been pretty obvious to everyone that the MacHalos someone must have held me at gunpoint to force me to read this delightful story, but I wanted to make things clear for the most clueless decapods among you. Wouldn't want the puny humans my dear friends to think less of me because of my despicable r
Kathleen
(English translation, paperback) A rather spooky cult classic in Europe, Spellbound is the first of 47 books in The Legend of the Ice People series, originally written in Swedish by the prolific Margit Sandemo. Fairly rich in European history -- particularly Scandinavian --- this paranormal romance series spans 400 years. Despite some erotic overtones (dream scenes, emerging sexuality, etc.) and one moderately explicit sex scene, I hesitantly tagged Spellbound as YA (but it captured this adult ...more
Joanna
This whole series is definitely a guilty pleasure for me... 47 volumes of a guilty pleasure. It's exactly the kind of overly sentimental, formulaic crap, with elements of fantasy thrown in and lots of sex scenes aimed at a)teenage girls and/or b) bored housewives, that I usually want to kill with fire but for some reason... I love it. Whole 47 volumes of it. I've read the whole series a couple of times, and certain individual volumes more than that. It's like eating a whole jar of peanut butter ...more
Celise
4.5 stars I don't know what came over me, but this made me feel things. Buddy read with the lovely MacHalo group!

Winter 1581, Norway. 16-year-old Silje stumbles away from her plague-ridden village, leaving her dead family behind. Having collected two abandoned children, she stumbles into a forest seeking warmth and sustenance. She encounters there a demonic yet captivating wolf-man, one of the Ice People from the Shadow Mountains whom Silje has been raised to fear.

Just a quick note: This isn't
Elena
In Experiences in translation Umberto Eco argues that translation should be considered a literary genre in itself, an art form in its own right: he knew something about it, given that the semiologist turned author translated himself one of the most untranslatable books of all times, Raymond Queneau's Exercices de style (which in fact Eco didn’t translate at all but rewrote from scratch, thus proving the point he made elsewhere: that a translator is, for all intents and purposes, the co-author of ...more
Beate
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, favorites
This is where it all started. With this book. Both for the author, and for me, as the reader.

This is where Margit Sandemo started writing a series of books that was unlike anything else at the time. We have to keep in mind this is early 1980's, and supernatural books with a slight erotic twist weren't all that common.

I didn't get around to read these books until more than a decade later. I was still a kid when these books came out. Later I was holding off reading these because they were a "saga"
Jessica
~~~~ MacHalo Buddy Read~~~~

I enjoyed this story. It was a quick read. A bit dark, full of old superstitions and I like stories like that. Although, many were bothered by the translation, I wasn't really. BUT! Something was definitely lost. Something was off, but I got the gist and liked it anyway.
Silje
This is pure nostalgia ❤
Isabel
My mother started collecting this series in the 1980's when she was a teenager and when I entered my teens they became one of my favorite series.

The series starts in 1581 in Trondheim, Mid-Norway with Silje, Charlotte, Sol, Dag, Henning and Tengel. Silje is a sixteen year old girl who has lost her entire family and home to the plague and wanders the streets of Trondheim looking for food and warmth, and even though she can't feed or warm herself she decides to take in the two orphans she finds. L
Rebecca Wahlstedt
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Rebecca by: My mother
This is one of the best books I've ever read! Love, love, love it =D It's the first book in a series with 47 books!! But I love all of them. And now it's being translated into English. I recomend everyone in the world to read atleast the first book. It has alot of ingredients: fantasy, love, secrets, passion, evil.
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anna by: Amelia
‘Spellbound’ is a charming and atmospheric tale set in 16th century Norway. It follows a sixteen year old girl named Silje (pronounced Sil-ya, according to the internet) after she loses her family and home to a plague outbreak. After inadvertently adopting two abandoned children, she finds a new home and encounters mysterious persons. I found Silje an appealing and sympathetic narrator, convincingly teenage yet forced into adult pragmatism by circumstance; brave and thoughtful yet frustrated and ...more
Izabella (Pages Full of Stars)
I usually don't read sagas but I was recommended to try this one and it was surprisingly good! It's a light read with engaging story and interesting characters. I also liked the mix of historical fiction and fantasy/mythology.
Ingrid
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm just giving these books five stars because of the nostalgia, and it's just very relaxing to read them! And they give me a spring feeling for some reason! :)
Henrik
Aug 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those enjoying Sandemo stories; those wanting romance in a semihistorical fantasy setting
Recommended to Henrik by: My paternal grandmother, years ago
Grace
Not a bad read. This was a nice combination of historical fiction and fantasy - the two blended well together. I guess this book is classified as fantasy romance; I'm not a big romance reader, and I found the overall plot to be rather predictable, as I usually find romance tales to be. However, there was enough other stuff going on besides the romance/sexual tension to hold my interest.

The ending of the book felt more like a chapter ending rather than a novel ending, but that could be because th
Milena
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that was recommended to me by my Great Dane friend. The author is Swedish-Norwegian, and has written 47 Ice People book of which about 5-9 are translated into English, the rest are in Swedish and Norwegian.

I read this not knowing what to expect, and wondering if the English translation would match up with the Swedish/Norwegian version that my friend loved so much.

It is not a complicated book. The story is simple, and told through the eyes of a peasant girl, although educated. Her
Kristina
Mar 02, 2008 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Everyone I know
Here's a book I want to recommend to every single person I know who also likes supernatural stuff with some sexiness included. This is the first book in one of my favorite series, by Swedish/Norwegian author Margit Sandemo, finally translated into English. The series is 47 books long, and part one of a series-trilogy. I do not know yet, if they plan to translate the other two parts once they've translated all 47 books, but that's OK. They're all single-standing series, and you won't know there's ...more
May 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: margit-sandemo
Spellbound . Silje, a daughter of Arngrim, was only 17, when the epidemic in 1581 took all her relatives. Starving, cold with two orphaned kids she was going to the place away from the town, where the corpses were burned. She wanted to warm up by the fire. In that dramatic moment mysterious man took care of her - a man from Ice People clan, whose looks made her fear, but was also strangely attractive.

First volume of the series beloved in Scandinavia, Iceland, Poland, Russia and Hungary. I love
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: team-d-2013
I really enjoyed reading this book. I thought it was really good and sweet, and it had just the right amount of sexual tension. I would give it 5 stars but since there was one part that i thought was really weird and that i did not enjoy at all, i just couldn't bring myself to give it a 5. But anyway, it was indeed really good.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is intrested in scandinavian history with a dash of fantasy/supersticion.
Marte Patel
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I really wanted this to be good, since the author is Norwegian, but no matter how much goodwill I allow it, I cannot give it more than two stars. I think the translation must be poor, but having not read the original I cannot say for certain. I think people who like sagas will like it, but it wasn't for me.
Linnea Dunér
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to start reading this series, because two different people said my novel reminded me of it. I was amazed realizing how much the language as well as the plot resembled my own. I really liked it and am gonna continue with the second book out of many.
Therese
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just a lil tip, especially if you live in Sweden and enjoy audiobooks, the app Storytel has the entire series read by Julia Dufvenius - she makes the stories come to life in such a beautiful way and I cannot recommend it enough!
Sylwia
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading the saga again... it's a long road ahead through all 47 parts, but then it's so worth it!
hanne amelia
Pretty good. I will read the next book in this series of 47 books.
Phew.
Julie
Most people I know who rave about this series, read it in their teens. Many of them also say that they are scared to read it again as a more experienced reader, in case that ruins it for them. I think they're right, although I think nostalgia might help if they do.

I read this for the first time now, 30 years old and relatively well read. Went into it knowing that it's a beloved classic series, one that kickstarted many people's love for fantasy as a genre. I love that about it.

I liked the settin
Sofia Lynd
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second time I read this book, and although it was fifteen years ago and I hardly remember it, I’m quite sure it was almost as good as the first time. It wasn’t as thrilling as when I read it the first time since I do remember the gist of it, but it was just as enthralling! It always amazes me how writers can come up with such intriguing supernatural stories; my mind just does not work like that!

The language is a bit old fashioned, and I don’t know whether that’s a sign of the times (although the
Birdiexx
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has a special place in my heart, as it was the first big book series I read as a pre-teen. If my fourteen-year-old self would have had a Goodreads account she would tell you to go read these books right now. Present me gets why these were the first books that did not shy away from sex (something 14-year old I had never read about before) Reading the first one again I could see how in the 80's and in my 14-year-old mind this was scandalous
(( nothing compared to the good old fashion one
Therese Caruana
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal-read
Growing up with my mother loving Margit Sandemo’s books, this series has been on my TBR list for decades. I finally picked it up. I’m not sure I can say I was amazed, but maybe that is because I have lived with years of having someone hyping it up. I surely can’t say it disappointed either. However, I’m now in doubt if I will carry on reading the rest of the series. It is very long with almost fifty instalments. My summary of the first instalment ‘Spellbound’ is that it was mysterious and detail ...more
Lynne Page
The story was an intriguing one, and it reminds me of other historical fiction I have read in the past.

The translation itself was not very good though. There were formatting errors, and it seemed to be translated word for word, so in some cases, the meaning did not come across correctly. As well, many opening quotation marks were missing.

My favourite translator error was when they accidentally wrote farmland instead of doorman. So the farmland raised his hands.

In either case, I enjoyed the no
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Translated series 2 97 May 01, 2013 01:47PM

• Idun (Sagan om Valhalla, #2)
  • Råta (Ravneringene, #2)
  • Berättelser från Engelsfors (Engelsfors, #2.5)
  • Dæmonernes Hvisken (Historien om Mira, #1)
  • I en förvandlad stad (Stadserien, #4)
  • Renegat (Nocarz, #2)
  • ...och de vita skuggorna i skogen (Skuggserien, #2)
  • Ondvinter (Fortællingen om Blodet, #1)
  • Nordiska väsen
  • The Downfall of the Gods - Ragnarok
  • De skandalösa (Slottet Wadenstierna, #3)
  • Den 13. disippel (Bjørn Beltø, #5)
  • En dåre fri
  • Salem on Trial (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #8)
  • Für die Krone (Magierdämmerung, #1)
  • Siewca Wiatru (Zastępy Anielskie, #2)
  • Gay Like You (G-A-Y #2)
Margit Sandemo was a Norwegian-Swedish historical fantasy author. She has been the best-selling author in the Nordic Countries since the 1980s, when her novel series of 47 books, The Legend of the Ice People, was published. She has also written many other book series such as Häxmästaren and Legenden om Ljusets rike.

Sagaen om Isfolket (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Heksejakten (Sagaen om Isfolket, #2)
  • Avgrunnen (Sagaen om Isfolket, #3)
  • Lengsel (Sagaen om Isfolket, #4)
  • Dødssynden (Sagaen om Isfolket, #5)
  • Den onde arven (Sagaen om Isfolket, #6)
  • Spøkelsesslottet (Sagaen om Isfolket, #7)
  • Bøddelens datter (Sagaen om Isfolket, #8)
  • Den ensomme (Sagaen om Isfolket, #9)
  • Vinterstorm (Sagaen om Isfolket, #10)
  • Blodhevn (Sagaen om Isfolket, #11)