Start by marking “My Life in Dog Years” as Want to Read:
My Life in Dog Years

My Life in Dog Years

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  2,678 Ratings  ·  390 Reviews
Gary Paulsen has owned dozens of unforgettable and amazing dogs. In each chapter he tells of one special dog, among them Cookie, the sled dog who saved his life; Snowball, the puppy he owned as a boy in the Philippines; Ike, his mysterious hunting companion; Dirk, the grim protector; and his true friend Josh, a brilliant border collie.
Published June 8th 1999 by Yearling (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about My Life in Dog Years, please sign up.

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronMarley and Me by John GroganWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Great "Dog" Books
922 books — 1,719 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsAnimal Farm by George OrwellBlack Beauty by Anna SewellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Best Books About Animals
1,096 books — 1,472 voters

More lists with this book...

Lillian
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Gary Paulsen never really had anyone looking after him. His parents were always drinking and never really took care of him. He lived in a house up in the mountains most of the time but when he was younger he went to the philippines for 2 years and he also went to Alaska alot. So this book tells how each dog he had took care of him and he took care of them. Some of his best friends were Cookie, Dirk, and Snowball. Cookie was a sled dog that he had when he did the iditarod. Cookie was a sweet dog

Dashon Arthur
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
The book My Life in Dog Years by Gary Paulsen is a autobiography about him and the dogs he had in his time.

In the book he talks about the many companions and adventures they had over their life.One of the dogs he talks about is his dog Cookie.Cookie was a sled dog that was given to him by a man who thought she could no longer run but she was later found out to only have worms.Cookie once saved Gary's life when they were out trapping beavers,the ice below his feet cracked and he feel through and
Krazykat
Jun 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: srp-2009
So it's a juvenile book you can finish in an hour and it's another dog book---ok, ok, sue me! I'm a children's librarian and a total dog freak---whaddya expect? :)
A proud and self-confessed "dog person", Gary Paulsen literally owes his life to dogs. The first chapter of his book is dedicated to his lead sled dog who, if she hadn't pulled him out of icy water in the nick of time, the author would have died. The following chapters are short and sweet stories of other dogs he's owned who have likew
Luann
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I loved this book. If you are a fan of Gary Paulsen, or a dog person, or both, you will like this book! I read it during silent reading time with my library classes, which actually wasn't a great idea because I was alternately crying or laughing or both - and trying to be quiet! - during the different stories. I would have enjoyed even more a much longer book with many more stories of dogs from Gary Paulsen's life.

A favorite quote:
"I have always had dogs and will have dogs until I die. I ha
Stacey B
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this book. Then go hug a dog. That's what I did.
Steve
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Up front, Paulsen says, “I am – I say this with some pride and not a little wonder – a “dog person.” I make no excuses for unabashedly loving all of them…” In this book, Paulsen lovingly tells the story of seven or eight of the many dogs in his life in short vignettes. These are not his Iditatrod dogs, but those he rescued, had thrust upon him, chose, or otherwise knew. There was a purebred or two, but lots of mutts, and they ranged in size from the one with four inch legs to the Great Dane. The ...more
Shannon The Show Stopper
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you are a dog lover like myself...This is a definite must read! I loved this book :)
Abigail Lutz
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
In this autobiographical text, Gary Paulsen tells the unique story of a dog who has impacted his life. Through each of these seven stories, he gives the reader a glimpse into who he was during that period of time. Paulsen begins the book with a dedication to Cookie, his lead sled dog, who saved his live while trapping and led his team during his first Iditarod race. Aside from Cookie, this book focuses on the stories of the dogs that Paulsen had as pets rather than his sled dogs. The first chapt ...more
David Lopez-sanders
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion, it is best to preface this review with an important piece of information. The piece of information is that this book is a collection of the author Gary Paulsen's experiences with dogs throughout his life. Due to this format, the setting varies. It goes from when Paulsen was young in the Philippines to when he was much older than that in Colorado. There are even more times and places than this, but those are at least some of them. The conflict, and plot are not easily represented ...more
Sylvia
May 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Gary Paulsen, penulis buku 'Hatchet', khusus menceritakan kisah hidupnya bersama anjing² kesayangannya di buku ini. Kecintaannya terhadap hewan yang satu ini bener² bikin saya kagum dan berpikir, "kok bisa sih suka miara anjing?" secara saya paling tidak suka hewan peliharaan. Mo itu ikan mas, kucing, apalagi anjing.

Tapi di buku yang dia tulis dengan gaya bertutur yang asik ini, anjing bagi dia benar² 'a man's best friend'. Tiap chapter menceritakan anjing yang berbeda dengan kisahnya masing².
Nikki G.
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am currently reading My Life In Dog Years by Gary Paulsen. Overall I think the book and author is great. It is about the authors dogs. To me it is a very touching, funny, and a sad book. I really like how he writes this book. Each chapter is about a different dog. So far my favorite dog he has written about in his book would have to be either Ike, Dirk, or, Caesar. I like Caesar because one of my dogs can relate to him, Bear. Bear literally looked like a bear because he was so big, and that is ...more
 Pat
Nov 29, 2012 rated it liked it
This book tells you about Gary Paulsen's personal life and how dogs have been a tremendous influence in his life. You'll get to meet these dogs and how they actually influenced Gary's life. Worth reading .
Canadian Reader
Wonderful stories of the dogs in Paulsen's life and how they helped him growing up in an alcoholic home. Many of these make great read-alouds for upper elementary and middle school. "Dirk" in particular is recommended.
Tristan
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this book was pretty good i just would have added more dogs.
Brittany Ozera
Feb 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
I didn't enjoy this book and thought it was poorly written.
Rosaleen Leclair
I would give this book 3 of 5 because some parts got boring.This is my opinion it wasn't the best it could be
Dustin Rhoads
May 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read in months. Not just for animal lovers.
Pam
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book for young readers and adults alike. In a time when Gary Paulsen needed parental care and attention, he had dogs to protect him, care for him, be his friend, show him what it meant to work hard and work as a team, even those who saved his life.
Nowadays, Gary may have been put into the System, but in my opinion, those dogs did more to make him a well-rounded and caring individual than any human could.
Some would say they were his guardians or angels. Gary considered them his companion
Kari
Dog love - is there anything better? I didn't know how much dogs add to your life until we got our family's first dog three years ago. Famed author Gary Paulson's slim book focuses on a few of the standout dogs of his lifetime. I was laughing and then crying. My first read of the 2017 OBOBs and I am convinced it will remain my favorite even after reading all 16 books.
Cyndi
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Changing careers to become an educator has halted my reading goal progress but has introduced me to charming quick reads like this one. It's Paulsen's autobiography told through stories of the dogs in his life. My fifth graders loved reading it and we had so many conversations about the dogs in their own lives. I recommend it for dog people, and read it with kids if possible!
Mackenzy
The title of the book is My Life in Dog Years and the author is Gary Paulsen. The genre is Autobiography and it has #137 pages.

This book is about Gary’s dogs that he has owned throughout his life and there story. Each chapter was about a different dog. Gary has a dedication chapter that is dedicated to cookie the dog that saved his life when he was drowning. The first chapter is about Snowball a dog that Gary wanted when he was little. Gary got Snowball when he was on a vacation trip and the tow
E.
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I pre-read this book for students and loved the way Paulsen carries the memoir genre for that age group. The stories were adventurous and engaging, but short enough for students. Some of the side comments are better suited for more mature students (e.g. calling his parents "drunks").
Leslie
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Some of the episodes are quite endearing because dogs can be wonderful, but overall he let many of the dogs run riot in public which sets an appalling example for children reading or listening to this book. Such blatant irresponsibility for his animals is not cute, funny or acceptable.
Lindsey
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love starting the school year with this one as a read aloud. The kids love Paulsen's dog stories and ask after each chapter, "Wait, is that one really real? It really happened?"
Already I have several readers picking up more of Paulsen's books to read on their own.
Jen
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sweet, sweet title for dog people who may *also* track their lives by the dogs who have befriended them.
This title is super-easy to read but may also be a good read aloud for our youngest OBOB fans because of a few scary moments when Paulsen almost dies.
Read in preparation for OBOB2018.
Kristine
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
My little boys and I had a great time reading this and were so interested in the author's life which has not been easy but was always full of dogs with fantastic stories and personalities. Made us love our dog even more.
Haydn Marks
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
A book that was charming in the writing and the characters were ok but they weren't really memorable in any shape or form. This book was fun to read but this was aiming towards kids definitely so I recommend it to kids who love dogs.
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
OBOB 2018, book 4. If you like dogs, you will LOVE this book. If you don't like dogs, I'm not sure. But don't most people like dogs?? I enjoyed each unique story. Some made me teary eyed and most made me laugh. The book was quick and a pleasure to read.
Lori
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such a happy read. It is a collection of stories of all the dogs that have been in the author's life since he was a kid. Dogs are the best.
Amy
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
Hard for me to buy that all the stories in this book are true but well written and interesting.
My Life in Dog years 1 3 Mar 16, 2015 12:56PM
  • Knots in My Yo-Yo String: The Autobiography of a Kid
  • Water Buffalo Days: Growing Up in Vietnam
  • Tree Shaker: The Story of Nelson Mandela
  • If You're Not Here, Please Raise Your Hand: Poems About School
  • Helen Keller:  A photographic story of a life (DK Biography)
  • Marshfield Dreams: When I Was a Kid
  • Oh Rats! The Story of Rats and People
  • The New Work of Dogs: Tending to Life, Love, and Family
  • Kakapo Rescue: Saving the World's Strangest Parrot
  • The Mighty Mars Rovers: The Incredible Adventures of Spirit and Opportunity
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve
More about Gary Paulsen...