Start by marking “Winter Fire” as Want to Read:
Winter Fire

Winter Fire

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  35 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
William Trotter's critically acclaimed fictional debut explores the deep forests of Finland with Nazi intelligence officer Erich Ziegler, a gifted orchestra conductor swept up in the maelstrom of war. Laden with the magic of Norse legends, the savage power of the northern forests, and the horrors of the Finnish and Eastern fronts, this tale burns with the fuel of timeless ...more
Published October 8th 2003 by Basic Books (first published February 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Winter Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Fire

Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Winter Fire follows a WWII German officer named Erich Ziegler as he serves the German Army in Norway and the Eastern Front. He is an infantry officer, who in his civilian life is a conductor. In particular, he had written an article on Jean Sibelius, the Finnish composer who was the pride of Finland. And after a period of exemplary service, he was tapped by German Army Intelligence to serve as what in the U.S. Army is known as a Foreign Area Officer, based on his expertise and special knowledge ...more
Sep 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
The problem with this book is that it aspired. This book aspired to be literature, when it would have been best left to popular fiction. Had it not aspired, maybe I would give it three stars.

The problem with the story is that the characters lack any depth. Sure, the author throws out little facts and quirks about Sibelius and others, but it feels more like he is trying to show off something he picked up from an encyclopedia page. Once these things are thrown out to the reader, they are often r
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
As I was reading this book I did find some parts a bit slow going. But now that I've finished I can't recall just what part. I knew a little about WWII and Finland, & I had written a term paper on Sibelius in college. But what struck me most was the sense the author conveyed of the country and its legends. I really felt the bleakness of the Arctic winter, and the mystical regard for the forest. Both of which endure despite a man's best or worst intentions.
Oct 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Kirja oli ideatasolla mielenkiintoinen sekoitus perinteistä jännäriä, sotatarinaa, musiikkihistoriaa ja yliluonnollista romanssia. Sibelius oli mystifioitu, mutta tarinan tyylilajiin moinen sopi.

Kirja oli, kielestä huolimatta, kelvollinen lukukokemus. Osa historiallista miljöötä oli kuvattu kaliiperintarkasti, mutta välillä pienet kömmähdykset häiritsivät - esimerkiksi kelvannee Alvar Aallon suunnittelema Helsingin rautatieasema ja Volganmutka- teoriaan perustuva mystinen juonikuvio.

Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Bill is my friend, and I really liked this book. If you like music, Sibelius and WWII stories, this could be for you.
Mar 29, 2011 added it
Shelves: abandoned
I only got halfway through this. You'd think it was made for me: WWII, Finland, music. But I couldn't get over the mediocre writing.
Kenneth Flusche
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most different WW-II book I ever read, who would have thought Finland was part of the war and music could be a part of it. Trotter has a way of writing which holds my attention.
Apr 29, 2014