Start by marking “One Morning in Maine” as Want to Read:
One Morning in Maine

One Morning in Maine

A Caldecott Honor Book!

Today is a specidal day for Sal because she gets to go to Buck's Harbour with her dad. But when she wakes up to brush her teeth with her baby sister, she discovers something shocking.... Her tooth is loose!

And that's just the start of a huge day!
Published 1980 by Puffin Books (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about One Morning in Maine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Morning in Maine

Calista
OMG. I love the artwork and the nature drawings in this story. The drawings are black and white with exquisite details. I also like the story. Sal, who I assume is the same Sal in the Sal and the Blueberries, wakes up excited to go to town. She discovers a tooth is loose and the excitement is vibrating in the book. My niece has lost several teeth and each one has such excitement around it. She has to show off each wiggle, each tooth, and she loves the drama of the process. She gets a dollar for ...more
Jeremy
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
As a kid, I found "One Morning in Maine" calming and familiar, an ideal naptime book. Revisiting it much later in life, in a B. Dalton I believe, I was shocked to find myself teary-eyed, even dizzy, looking at the pages. It felt like picking up a seashell at the beach and finding a tiny picture of my best friend from kindergarten inside.

Ronyell
Maine

“One Morning in Maine” is a Caldecott Honor Book from the great mind of Robert McCloskey and it is about how a young girl named Sal learns about the wonders of growing up after she loses her first baby tooth. “One Morning in Maine” is a truly inspiring story about growing up that many children will easily love.

Robert McCloskey has done an excellent job at both illustrating and writing this book. Robert McCloskey’s illustrations are much more beautiful in this book than in his other books as the
Sandra
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How do I love the illustrations of this book!
Angelica
Dec 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Currently one of Niamh's favourites. She quotes sections to me randomly throughout the day... "My, such trouble" "We're having cham powder for lunch!" [sic] This is one of those books that kids love, but parents don't have to get tired of reading to them. I love the way McCloskey is able to take the stuff of everyday life and suffuse it with a gentle humour and an obvious understanding of the inner workings of a child's mind. Reading this book is like eating a slice of warm, home-baked bread wit ...more
Dec 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book takes place where I grew up in the summer and still go visit every summer. Sal and Jane are real people and the store/garage are also there just revamped. As I worked at the yacht club during my years from HS- college you do see many people stepping off the boats reinacting sal and janes adventures which is cute.
A fun book for kids and adults all ages who come to visit in this town in the summer!
Margaret Chind
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Margaret by: Sonlight P3/4
One Morning in Maine was our read this morning from Make Way for McCloskey on the recommendation of Sonlight P3/4. While I remember Make Way for Ducklings from my childhood I do not know all of these other McCloskey tales and I am really enjoying them with my girls. Blueberries for Sal is definitely the most well requested by my three year old, so when I was able to start a new story about an older version of Sal with her little sister Jane that intrigued my daughter who is also an older sister ...more
Kellyn Roth
This is just the sweetest little short story ever! I've been reading it since I was a tiny kid (or rather my mother's been reading it to me), and I've always loved it. I love the descriptions of the animals and how Sal interacts with them. I talk to animals about stuff, too ... and I'm a teenager ...

Also, this book really makes me want to visit the ocean and have chocolate icecream. :P

~Kellyn Roth, Reveries Reviews
Shiloah
How did I missed this book all my life? Well, my children will not miss out on this classic. Sweet story. Beautiful charcoal illustrations.
Cindi
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the most recognizable names in children's fiction is Robert McCloskey, author and illustrator of books like "Make Way for Ducklings," "Time of Wonder" and "Blueberries for Sal." As an illustrator, McCloskey was recognized with the Caldecott on four separate occasions for his work in children's fiction; twice with the Caldecott Medal and twice with the Caldecott Honor. He received the Caldecott Honor in 1953 for his book, "One Morning in Maine."

The story of a child losing a tooth for the f
Linda Lipko
The author conveys his love of Maine with lovely charcoal like black and white illustrations.

Written in 1952, the illustrations took me back in time to my childhood and reminded me of the Dick and Jane books.

Sal awakes to find her tooth is loose. Excited about a trip to Buck's Harbor with her father, she and her little sister walk the beach to find him.

While digging clams, her tooth falls out and is lost to the sea.

Traveling via row boat the Buck's Harbor Sal tells the tale of her missing toot
Judy
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Maybe this book triggered my interest in the Atlantic NE. The scenery is inviting and would have appealed to me. And how fun for a child -- woods and beach, digging for clams, a boat ride to go shopping, ice cream cones -- what a life! At the time it was written, the story was 'modern' now it's nostalgic. But ... it still shows the working of a child's mind, and as children begin to lose their teeth, they'll identify with Sal. This is a keeper.
Dolly
Aug 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a nice story about life on a Maine island for a family of four. Sal (from Blueberries for Sal, perhaps?) is growing up and has a loose tooth. She goes to help her dad go clamming and then she and her little sister go over to the mainland with their dad in a boat to get groceries. It's very quaint, and tells of an older time, but still has a sincerity and a sweetness that resonates with children today. We really enjoyed this story.
Cynthia Egbert
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
McCloskey never disappoints. I love the story and the drawings offered in this book. I am not certain if I have now read everything that McCloskey wrote, but this may be my favourite. If you want to offer your children (and yourself) a sense of a life that is nearly completely in the past, please share this one as a family.
Jamie
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I had a boss once, (who hasn't), but I guess she was my first boss, and, though we didn't part as friends, I thought of her as a big sister-type and there's still all these things that remind me of her and how much a relationship like that can mean to a 22 year-old when you're so far from your family for the first time (NYC). Because we worked in publishing, it makes sense Children's books would set it off, but she also had a house in Maine.
I've never been, but she was a fast paced lady, she ra
Robert Owens
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
This takes me back to my youth. I am not certain I ever read this book, but to me, this was the type of book I did read. I really like this book.

Sal, a cute little girl from Blueberries for Sal fame awakens to discover she has a loose tooth. I note that the tooth fairy did not make an appearance here. Rather, her mother tells her to put the tooth under her pillow and make a wish.

Sal takes off to find her father, who is digging for clams along the shore. Before she meets him, she tells the animal
Crystal
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-classics
This is an utterly charming kids' book, and I can see why it's considered such a classic. The story is cute--how Sal's tooth comes loose and falls out, and how she deals with the issue of wishes. She sets a good example for children of how to be a good older sibling and to deal with (initial) disappointment. The way of life described in the story, the family's little isolated Maine life, reusable milk bottles, travel by boat, etc is like another world, and all the more charming for it. The pictu ...more
ABC
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This old-fashioned book tells the story of a girl whose tooth is loose. Her mother tells her she can put the tooth under her pillow and make a wish. She goes digging for clams with her father, but she loses the tooth. I presume the little girl is the same girl from "Blueberries for Sal" because her name is also Sal, but she is obviously a little older in this book.

This book teaches a lot about nature because the little girl sees many animals and wonders if they have teeth.

My son seemed to like t
David Ward
Feb 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, fiction
One Morning in Maine by Robert McCloskey (Puffin Books 1976) (Fiction – Children's). Here's another book about Sal by the wonderful author and illustrator Robert McCloskey. First published in 1952, this book was a winner of the Caldecott Honor. Sal wakes up ready for a day on the water and finds that she has her first loose tooth! Can anyone remember what an absolutely HUGE deal that was as a kid? I remember it as being as big as the first time I was actually able to ride my two-wheeler without ...more
Carol
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite picture books of all time. I was thinking about it today because it is a beautiful book about a girl character that is not ABOUT a GIRL!!, if you know what I mean. Sal's relationship to her father and her sister is so well-done, and I love that Sal suffers a small disappointment, yet her father does not sugar-coat it or try to "fix" it and life goes on. The book is dated, but in a wonderful, magical way that will make you want to go back in time. Really, it has about a ...more
Savannah Bryant
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
One Morning in Maine is a beautiful book that expresses the simple pleasures of life, whether it be losing your first tooth, getting that delicious chocolate ice cream cone, or Mom's fresh cooked clam chowder. McCloskey's story is a heart warming telling of a family's life on the coast of Maine, as well as an endearing interpretation of childhood and the meaning of growing up. A Caldecott Honor Book, One Morning in Maine is a great book for children between the ages of 3-6 years. A good read-alo ...more
Eyehavenofilter
A follow up to Blueberries for Sal, she and Jane are on their way to Bucks Harbor. Sal has a loose tooth and wants everyone to know she's growing up. She wants to know what animals have teeth, and do they put them under pillows like human children? While she's helping her dad dig for clams her tooth falls out, but she can't find it. Not a big deal for Sal, she takes it in stride. They row over to Bucks Harbor with the clams and then head home for clam chowder! Another great day to be in Maine!
Kristin
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My 5 year old loves this one...it hits a lot of his interests (loose tooth! little sibling! boats! ice cream! motors!). The illustrations are so detailed and support the story so well, that even my two year old will happily sit through this book. And I appreciate all the "real" details...actual names of wildlife, the spark plug problem, as well as the gentle way that McCloskey shows losing things (a tooth, a feather, a boat part) isn't catastrophic.
Summer
This is a sequel to Blueberries for Sal. This time Sal is older
with a little sister Jane. The book takes her through a day with her dad and a trip to Buck’s Harbor. And another fun surprise that makes it an extraordinary day for Sal.

The drawings are superb. The movement and action are so good you feel like you are actually watching the day. Jane’s adventures in the pictures offer a perfect silent B line to the book. I really like Robert McCloskey’s drawings.

Fjóla
This is such a beautiful book, my favorite so far of the McCloskey books. Such a big day for Sal, and oh, the questions, they're exactly the same ones I get from my almost five year old all the time, so endearing! This book would make a beautiful gift. Wish I could draw like Robert McCloskey ...
The Library Lady
This is Sal from "Blueberries From Sal", but a little more grown up--the toddler now is her sister Jane. Both little girls were based on McCloskey's own daughters.

This is my own childhood favorite--I vividly remember the chocolate ice cream cone and the loose tooth falling into the salty mud. My own "Sal" and "Jane" loved this book too!
Jessica
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet story about a girl, Sal (from Blueberries for Sal), and her loose tooth. The illustrations are beautiful and the sisters sweet. All my girls, ranging from 5 to 2, will all sit still for the whole book. Well, my 2 year old wanders around at about the 3/4 mark, but comes back to sit down later. You cannot go wrong with McCloskey.
Deania
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
The book is good and is set in Maine. The pictures are sketched so it gives it the old style look. It is based on the family and the daughter who loses a tooth. Questions are asked about who does and does not have teeth. It is a cute book for younger children who have lost their tooth and are proud of it, as it is a sign of growing up.
While the story of this book wasn't as interesting as I would have liked, I did enjoy the pictures, they were detailed and made the book feel more alive. I liked this book, aside from a few flaws it was nice.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
MJ
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can see why some stories become classics. We love the parts about Sal's tooth, the spark plug and the clam with a chocolate ice cream cone.

(6-19-2000) This is such an excellent story t hat we'll never get tired of it.

• Island Boy
  • Ape in a Cape: An Alphabet of Odd Animals
  • In the Forest
  • Roxaboxen
  • The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes
John Robert McCloskey (September 15, 1914 – June 30, 2003) was an American writer and illustrator of children's books. He both wrote and illustrated eight picture books and won two Caldecott Medals from the American Library Association recognizing the year's best-illustrated picture book. Four of those eight books were set in Maine: Blueberries for Sal, One Morning in Maine, Time of Wonder, and Bu ...more