Start by marking “The Adventure of the Colonial Boy” as Want to Read:
The Adventure of the Colonial Boy

The Adventure of the Colonial Boy

1893. Dr Watson, still in mourning for the death of his great friend Sherlock Holmes, is now triply bereaved, with his wife Mary's death in childbirth. Then a telegram from Melbourne, Australia intrudes into his grief. "Come at once if convenient." Both suspicious and desperate to believe that Holmes may not, after all, be dead, Watson goes as immediately as the sea voyage ...more
Published February 29th 2016 by eBook Alchemy Pty Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Adventure of the Colonial Boy, please sign up.
Narrelle Generally, no. However, if you run a book review blog, a PDF version for review can be arranged.

Start your review of The Adventure of the Colonial Boy
Figgy
You’ve probably noticed the explosion of Holmesian retellings in the last few years, what with the two RDJ and Jude Law movies; BBC’s Sherlock, featuring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman; and the American series Elementary, featuring Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu. Aside from these screen-based adaptations, there are also countless retellings in written form.

With so many options out there, it can be hard to know just where you’re joining the story and what is going on. The best can be
Narrelle
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, I wrote it, so obviously I like it. I hope you do too.
Atlin Merrick
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Do you know what I love best about this book? It's about adventures. Adventures through London, Bohemian Melbourne, the Australian outback, and the hearts of John Watson and Sherlock Holmes.

This is more than an adventure story though, it's also a mystery, a romance. It's a full-steam ahead, canon-era tale of two men making a rough world a better place through their gifts of detection, deduction, and doctoring, a tale of two men striving to love one another in a world that makes that loving hard.
Sally Koetsveld
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a romping good read, and absolute page turner that I couldn't put down.
Margaret
By now I'm sure everyone has realised that I read a lot of Sherlock Holmes pastiches. Some are good, some are mediocre, and some are downright terrible. Occasionally you get one that is bloody brilliant.

"The Adventure of the Colonial Boy" is bloody brilliant!

Mourning both the death of Sherlock Holmes at the Reichenbach Falls, and the death of his wife Mary in childbirth, John Watson is shocked and angered to get a telegram purporting to be from Sherlock himself. After a meeting with Mycroft Holm
Denise
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
While waiting for the printed book to be published and delivered, I bought the ebook because I couldn't wait - and ended up reading it in one day. I really like the story and the way Watson and Holmes are portrayed. The setting the story takes place in isn't one I'm used to when it comes to Sherlock Holmes stories, which made for a nice change. The story has an interesting mystery/case and just the right amount of character development as well. I'm looking forward to reading it again when the pr ...more
Adriana
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I have a weak spot for Sherlock Holmes pastiches, fanfiction, etc. Usually I’m more drawn to the… fantastical side of things (such as the stories in The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, some of which are outstanding), but lately I’ve been getting more into retellings exploring a potential romantic relationship between the detective and his doctor, as well as the consequences of that kind of bond in Victorian times. The Adventure of the Colonial Boy doesn’t technically ignore the canon, ...more
Rohase Piercy
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I did enjoy this one. Not least because it's set during the same canonical period as the second half of 'My Dearest Holmes', ie during the Great Hiatus (between Sherlock Holmes' supposed death at the hands of Professor Moriarty at the Reichenbach Falls and his reappearance in 'The Advanture Of The Empty House'). And yes! Just as in MDH, but in different circumstances and for different reasons, Holmes summons Watson to join him in exile using Mycroft as a go-between. And yes - the Love That D ...more
BakerStTardis
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sherlock, ebook
This is a brand new Sherlock Holmes story that takes place after Sherlock's death. My poor John Watson ( I have such a weakness for Watson) is in mourning for wife, baby and his best friend when he gets a telegraph calling him to Australia signed with Sherlock's initials. It's all adventure from there.

This one was a ton of fun. It's interesting to see John with a background of having grown up in both India and Australia as he is in this book, but it totally works and he's still true to characte
CleverBaggins
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, gay, sherlock

Leanne ~ Tales From The Heart
I was given this book for an honest review.
Well this was certainly different to my normal books and I possibly wouldn't have bought it myself.
I don't know anything about Sherlock, never read it or watched it so any references or innuendos went over my head. Aside from that the story was solid, I got to know the characters and their background.
Being a Melbourne girl myself I enjoyed the references to my town from over 100 years ago as well as the country towns of Victoria.
An interesting tale of
Claudia
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have loved this book from start to finish!
I throughly enjoyed the references to canon, the always great insight the author provides on the characters and their feelings, the great taste she gives the reader of their relationship, their courage, their wit and their sweetness.
I could not be happier that this book saw the light: it is a great representative of Improbable Press and I am looking forward to see what else they have in store.
Julie Bozza
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, male-male, lgbtq
A terrific ripping yarn of a Sherlock Holmes adventure, with a finely drawn romance as well. The settings in London, on board ship, and in Australia were as beautifully realised as the characters. Nicely done!
Ludovica
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist, ebook
Claudia
I love this so much! It has all that I love in the original Sherlock Holmes stories: the adventures, the mystery, the danger. And it makes explicit what I saw implicit since the first time I read those stories: the love between these two men.

The story is happening just before 'The Empty House', in Australia! and the reunion... oh, the reunion makes so much sense. As Holmes' reasons to stay away does (although this may be a biased opinion, as I always thought the same :P)

The writing is perfect,
T.A. Creech
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!

This was a fantastic story. The world building and sensory details were delightful and really brought both London and Australia to life. Holmes and Watson are very much true to character, with a personal depth that Doyle had left us to wonder about in canon. Meloncoly, sweet, triumphant, fierce in a beautiful balance, I highly recommend The Adventure of the Colonial Boy. Definitely a favorite.
Vixis
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

Rollicking good story and enjoyed the different setting, although I think one of the characters died too quickly... I recommend you read it to see if you agree with me!
katriana
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

Wonderfully written.
Great plot. It was absolutely lovely and I eagerly recommend it to you.
( This is not part of the review I just need more words in order to review)
Meg
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable take on a familiar classic.
More blatantly expressive than the original, but no less sincere.
Hazel Edwards
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I know Narrelle M. Harris is a good researcher and widely read, so I've taken her Sherlock and period links as accurate and allowed the dramatic licence to portray a Watson-Holmes gay relationship. The erotic scenes are really well done, especially Watson's moustache. The chapter where they travel the Australian bush on horseback and their relationship changes from angst to acceptance and mutual enjoyment is well written.

There are Sherlock Holmes experts who know every plot and character, and ca
Edwina Harvey
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This is actually a 3.5 stars review.
I enjoyed reading this book.
I think Narrelle Harris really captured the essence of the main characters and the style of writing in this Sherlock Holmes novel, partly set in Australia.

Still grieving the death of his wife, Mary, and still grieving the apparent death of his friend and colleague, Sherlock Holmes, Dr Watson's life is very much in the doldrums when he receives a cryptic telegram that - encouraged by Mycroft Holmes - sees him setting forth on a jou
Susan Batho
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Chelsea Cahill
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I could have been reading the piles of unread books around my house, but no, I decided to read this for the third time! Delightful read deserving of a review to say so! Nice balance between the harsh reality of the time for queer folk and the positivity that comes from taking a chance on love. I look forward to reading more from the author.
Ailbhe
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a complete joy. It's quite an easy and smooth read, with wonderful heartwarming moments and brilliant sensual description. If you love Sherlock Holmes and John Watson, and them loving each other, you have to read this book.
Angela Kamerer-White
Romantic adventure

Ms. Harris gives us a great adventure story that is well grounded in its particular time period and geography. An interesting spin on the return of the Great Detective.
GG
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful read. A suspenseful case, plenty of adventure, a realistic but tender love story, and a bit of Australian history and travelogue for added fun.
Kerrie
Review

A twist on the background to the well-known plot of Sherlock and Holmes of the famous murder and mystery adventures.
Heather
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh, yes, what a satisfying story. Looking forward to more books by this author!
Becca
Have you ever needed a Victorian Australian outback erotic gay Sherlock Holmes adventure story? What am I talking about; of course you have. Well here it is! It's tender, it's suspenseful, it's heartbreaking, and it's sexy. Go read it!
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
At first I thought this wouldn't be my thing, I love Sherlock and Watson but there are way to many spin offs and new takes out there but I was happily surprised with this story. I loved the inclusion of Australia's early Chinese community too.

• The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • The Train (Point Horror, #36)
  • The Perfume
  • The Midnight Club
  • The Fever
  • The Stranger
  • Mother's Helper (Point Horror, #14)
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • A Noise Downstairs
  • A Question of Time
  • The Five: The Lives of Jack the Ripper's Women
  • Sergeant Delicious
I grew up in a home bursting with books. My father was in the Royal Australian Air Force – we moved roughly every three years – and my parents were passionate advocates of reading and the importance of access to a library of ideas, no matter where we lived.

Between a childhood spent on the move yet steeped in literature, and a naturally dramatic personality, it’s no surprise I became a storyteller.