Start by marking “The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings, #1)

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

(Montague Siblings #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  43,585 Ratings  ·  9,749 Reviews
Henry “Monty” Montague was born and bred to be a gentleman, but he was never one to be tamed. The finest boarding schools in England and the constant disapproval of his father haven’t been able to curb any of his roguish passions—not for gambling halls, late nights spent with a bottle of spirits, or waking up in the arms of women or men.

But as Monty embarks on his Grand To
Published June 27th 2017 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, please sign up.
Mackenzi It's a bit of both! GGTVAV was meant to be a standalone, so it can definitely be read like that. The second book is both sequel and companion--it…moreIt's a bit of both! GGTVAV was meant to be a standalone, so it can definitely be read like that. The second book is both sequel and companion--it follows the same characters about a year after TGGTVAV, but it's narrated by Felicity! (less)

Em (RunawayWithDreamthieves)
“I don’t think it’s a good idea to go courting trouble, is all.”
“We’re not courting trouble,” I say. “Flirting with it, at most.”

I honest to god wish this book would take human form and come fall in love with me.

I love this book with all my usually empty 7 hearts that just inflated 6 sizes and I think my ribs might actually crack. This book was so pure it wasn’t made for earth. This was the best thing that’s happened to humanity since sliced bread. This was better than shaking hands with dumbl
Emily May
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
As we sail across the Channel toward Calais, this is what I’m thinking of—Percy and me and England sinking into the sea behind us, and also French lads and their tight breeches and, zounds, I can’t wait to get to Paris. I am also maybe a tiny bit drunk.

This book is wonderful! Just so so much fun. It's light, it's silly, and I just couldn't stop giggling to myself from start to finish. It reminds me of My Lady Jane, but with lots of gay love and drunken shenanigans.

Henry Montague, or "Monty" to
Regan
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25

So much fun!
Mackenzi
Apr 21, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
IDK sounds kinda dumb.
Kat O'Keeffe
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! Really liked this one! It was fun and hilarious and romantic and I didn't want it to end! Monty's voice had me completely hooked from the beginning--I enjoyed his character so much, and I loved how he grew over the course of the book. I did feel that some aspects of the plot were a bit shaky, but if you can suspend your disbelief a little and just go with it, it is such a fun ride and I would definitely recommend it!
C.G. Drews
I haven't even the words to summarise how much I ABSOLUTELY FREAKING ADORE THIS BOOK. I can't even stop gushing about it!! Everything was beyond perfect and I. am. in. love. It was sassy and hilarious and fast moving (like how did I read 500+ pages in a day?!) and so adorable I cannot even. I just cannot. Honestly as soon as this is out I'm BUYING IT AND THEN HUGGING IT and then putting it on my Favourite Books Of Ever Shelf.

Unfortunately it doesn't come out till June. Erm, so sorry about me gus
Emma Giordano
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
Y'ALL
THIS
DANG
BOOK

CW: child abuse, alcoholism, abelism, racism

I absolutely loved The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue. It blew away all of my expectations. I went in expecting a cutesy YA m/m romance novel set in the 1700s, but it was so much more! This novel is full of action, adventure, feminism, a sassy narrator, high stakes, (AND a cutest m/m romance).

I loved all the main characters - they are a terrific trio. Monty is particularly interesting to me because his addictions and recklessnes
Elise (TheBookishActress)
“Are you going to give me the fornication without the intention of procreation is of the devil and a crime lecture? I believe I could recite it from memory by now.”
“Monty-”
“Perhaps I am trying to procreate with all these lads and I’m just very misinformed about the whole process. If only Eton hadn’t thrown me out.”

Wow, so I expected cute and amusing, but I did not expect to find both the funniest thing I've ever read, and also one of the most unfortunately-personally-relevant-to-me things I
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5*
This was so fun and cute! So much love!!!
Zoë
Maria
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
4.6/5 Stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

I underestimated this book immensely. I thought it would be a light-hearted, fluffy, cute, funny and romantic gay love story set in the 18th century England but it was so much more than that. It was deep, it was heart wrenching, it was profound, it was adventurous, it was emotional, it was so
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
”Love may be a grand thing, but goddamn if it doesn’t take up more than its fair share of space inside a man.”

This was a buddy read with my one and only precious Gem!!! <333

To say this book had me from the very first page certainly would be an understatement…
because
it actually got me right after the very first sentence! ;-P

The way Monty told his story was just too hilarious and I was barely a few pages in when I already laughed so hard that my husband gave me a raised eyebrow! *lol* (and the
Claudia Ramírez
Monty, Percy and Felicity are my new golden trio.

PS. Also, Felicity is GOALS. I love her and I want to be like her when I grow up. Seriously, one of my favorite female characters ever.
Shreya (☆High Lady of The Night Court☆)
MYHEARTMYHEARTMYHEARTMYHEART
I absolutely LOVED this book and everything it stand for. I love the way the author created these characters and articulated their thoughts in such a marvelous way. I was in love with Felicity, Monty, and Percy before the second chapter even ended and only grew to like them more as the story progressed.

I’m not sure what I was expecting from this book but it definitely was not this. I knew I was going to love this book the second I started it and it met all my expecta
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Boys fighting pirates and their feelings for each other in 18th century Paris and Venice! *swoon*

We hosted the official cover reveal this morning, accompanied by an early ARC giveaway and the MOST ADORABLE video by the author talking about why she wrote the book. She touches on wanting to address frustrating historical tropes and the lack of queer representation, as well as how "strong" femininity is defined. Oh, and there are pirates and villains and a swoonworthy romance, too!

http://
emi
2.75/5 stars

I thought I was the biggest disappointment in life, but I guess I’ve been proven wrong with my reading choices lately. If it wasn’t for my sister sending me videos of her hedgehog right now, I think I’d be lying in a puddle of my own tears questioning every decision I have ever made in the past two months. I’ll still probably do that later though.

Wait, what? I'm giving this h
Kai
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, glbt
"The world could have been a blank canvas and I still would have been exactly this livid with happiness, just to be with him."

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue is a wild and vivid tale of treachery, love and friendship set against the backdrop of Europe in the 18 hundreds.

Plot:
Henry Montague loves alcohol, romantic adventures and long, sleepless nights out. His father, however, despises exactly that, and everything Henry stands for. He sends him on one last trip, a so called Grand Tour ar
✨    jamieson   ✨
“If you go behind my back, I swear to God, I’ll skin you alive—”
“I won’t—”
“—murder you, then alchemically raise you from the dead so I can murder you again—”

TRIGGER WARNINGS FOR: homophobia, epilepsy, racism and racial slurs, ableism, PTSD, alcoholism, parental abuse,

BUT SPEAKING OF 2017 LIFESAVERS This book is a strong contender because it was really, really good and bought up so many important themes and issues and was also just really fun, adventurous, different from the usual and had ...
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]

What I knew before reading this book: 1) it was hist-fic, and 2) it was cute as hell.

What I knew after reading this book: it is nonstop shenanigans and I adored every single damn page.

This is my first time reading Mackenzi Lee's writing, and I really enjoyed it. With Monty as the narrator, it felt every bit the
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This is not a book I was interested in reading, but since it came in my Owlcrate box I will give it a try. I hope I like it! The Owlcrate stuff was awesome though ♥

I was right. It wasn't for me. There are some parts that I enjoyed but for the most part, it wasn't for me. But, I didn't pick this book to read, Owlcrate did it for me 😄

I did like Felicity's character because she fought against being the woman they were supposed to be back then. Go Felicity!

I'm happy for the majority of people that
rachel
me, sobbing in a public bathroom: you bastards told me this book was funny
❄️Nani❄️
4.5 ⭐

The more times you read it the better it gets.

Yet another FANTASTIC re read.

Monty, my roguish booze-hound seductive charmer, oh, how I love thee!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ORIGINAL REVIEW

I think I ended this book with a migraine because I was grinning and laughing like an idiot the whole way through that it slowly took its toll on my brain. ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!

WONDERFUL. Just wonderful! So delightfully heartwarming and hilarious. The Gentleman’s Guide follows our main lead Mont
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
4.5 Stars

Re-read:

Bumping my rating up because I forgot how great the discussion of chronic illness is here. Honestly some of the best representation I've seen.

"It isn’t easy and it isn’t very enjoyable but this is what I’ve got to live with. This is who I am, and I don’t think I’m insane. I don’t think I should be locked up and I don’t think I need to be cured of it for my life to be good."

Otherwise I pretty much stand by my original review:

-----------------

4 Stars

Original Review:

“I swear
Samantha
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars - audiobook
Warda
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
[EDIT: Despite the flaws this book had, when a book - or the characters in this case - pop into your head quite frequently, a book deserves 5 stars.]

--------------------------
THIS BOOK! THESE CHARACTERS! IT WAS SO DELICIOUSLY GAY, PEOPLE! *heart eyes*

*chants* MERCY! MERCY!

I promised myself that I'd review this properly, but what the hell, fuck it. My heart is a wreck and so full of love! So full of Monty and Percy! I need more of them two SO DAMN BADLY!!!!!! Their story can't be over! *SOBS*

The
jessica
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
goodness me, that was quite the ride! i had no idea this was historical fiction, so i went into this totally expecting ‘lads on tour’ but instead got ‘the journey of the century.’ and i completely underestimated how great this book would be - while it gave me fun summer road trip among friends vibes, it was so much more than that. i actually felt like i learnt a lot whilst reading this, and it also had some really deep and touching moments. the adventure, the romance, the wonderful cities and pl ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, favourites, 2018
Update: still a delight.

Well, that was a fucking delight and a half.
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Rating: 4.5 stars
Larry H
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just when you think that no one is writing anything original, along comes a book that is so different in many ways that you wonder how the author came up with the idea in the first place, and how they were able to sell it to a publisher. Mackenzi Lee's The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue is one of those books. What a sensational story, with characters I won't soon forget!

In 18th century England, Henry "Monty" Montague has grown up a son of privilege. His father is a lord with a sizable es
  • 27 Hours (The Nightside Saga, #1)
  • The Valiant (The Valiant, #1)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Mask of Shadows (Mask of Shadows #1)
  • The Careful Undressing of Love
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
  • Retribution Rails (Vengeance Road, #2)
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • The Freemason's Daughter
  • Traveler (Traveler, #1)
  • Spindle Fire (Spindle Fire #1)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • Our Own Private Universe
  • Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)
  • Poison's Kiss (Poison's Kiss, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)
Mackenzi Lee holds a BA in history and an MFA in writing for children and young adults from Simmons College. She is the New York Times bestselling author of the historical fantasy novels THIS MONSTROUS THING, THE GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE, which won a 2018 Stonewall Honor Award and the New England Book Award, and its sequel, THE LADY'S GUIDE TO PETTICOATS AND PIRACY, which debuted at #3 ...more

Montague Siblings (2 books)
  • The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy (Montague Siblings, #2)
“God bless the book people for their boundless knowledge absorbed from having words instead of friends.” 394 likes
“We are not broken things, neither of us. We are cracked pottery mended with laquer and flakes of gold, whole as we are, complete unto each other. Complete and worthy and so very loved.” 292 likes