Start by marking “The Recipe” as Want to Read:
The Recipe

The Recipe

(Chance of Loving You)

In this heartwarming romance novella by Candace Calvert, hospital dietary assistant Aimee Curran is determined to win the Vegan Valentine Bake-Off to prove she’s finally found her calling. But while caring for one of her patients—the elderly grandmother of a handsome CSI photographer—Aimee begins to question where she belongs.
Published February 19th 2016 by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (first published February 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Recipe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Recipe

Chantel
This novella was just a sweet as the strawberries described in this story. ♥ ♥

I really loved the characters, this story really touched my heart! This book really displayed love, and not just the romantic kind. But the love the Jesus wants us to share by serving others. I am looking forward to reading more from this author!

Joleen
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a recipe in how to win someone over when first impressions are quite sour... add a little grandma and you have a sweet offering.

Aimee Curran works in the cafeteria at San Diego Hope Hospital. Her dream is to win a cooking contest so she can get a full scholarship to a culinary school. After one of her creations sets off a reaction no one would have expected, she finds herself going over and above to keep her job by doing favors. This is where she meets CSI photographer, Lucas March
Kara
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very sweet story that is touching and has humor, great novella and recommended :)
Susan Snodgrass
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Candace Calvert never disappoints. I had the pleasure of discovering her as an author after she'd already written several books and had the blessing of reading several one right after the other! Loved every minute, too. This little novella was one I read in a collection last year, but it's finally available as a stand alone. The characters from this one show up later, too. This is a precious little offering and one I'm happy to recommend.
ItaPixie
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: freebie, 3-stars
This was a nice story with a tons of strawberries.
Sarita
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this short novella. It was sweet and the story was not rushed at all.
Randy Tramp
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Aimee Curran, hospital dietary assistant is determined to win the Vegan Valentine Bake-Off.

What a book. I really enjoyed the issue dealt with in this book. The end of life for a grandmother.

Being in Culinary Arts nearly my entire life, this book brought back memories. I loved the romance, the setting, and the plot.
April
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my first book I’ve read from Candace . And boy it was a great story.
The characters, the humur, the romance, and the drama all made this book worth reading. It may be short but that doesn’t make it any less enjoyable.
writer...
Quick, fun read - perfect lite touch as a great break from heavier topics.
Ye'Vell Hopkins
Jul 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice story

I enjoyed this simple, sweet and clean romance. Not preachy, but with a gentle reminder that God's plan often differs from ours and ultimately it's the best plan.
Patricia Romero
What a lovely novella! I have never read anything by Ms. Calvert, and I'm not even sure how this one ended up on my Kindle. But I am very glad it did.

A well written story of hope, faith, love and understanding. Aimee Curran is working is working in the dietary area of San Diego Hope rehab. She has entered the Vegan Valentine Bake Off hoping to win the prize of full tuition to culinary school.

Having lost her mother at a young age, she still feels her mother's presence when she is cooking the food
Nadine Keels
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I originally read The Recipe by Candace Calvert in a collection of novellas, and this one was my favorite of the three. Aimee and Lucas learn a lot about true love in action here, and not only true romantic love. The flow and pacing of the story is natural, and the lessons Aimee and Lucas learn come in powerfully, making for some beautiful turns of events.

And, to this reader personally, the way God answers Aimee's prayer about her Bake-Off dilemma is so like Him.
Nezzle
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this book very much. I loved the spiritual element and the fact that loving and caring for others was so important. I feel like the romance was balanced well with the other portions of the book and despite it being very short, I am quite pleased with how it turned out.
Jeanette
I liked this book. It was a little romance novel.
Hannah Sulfridge
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short novella, but super sweet! Left me smiling! Highly recommend it!
Jessica
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Already read as part of a novella set.
Brooke (i blog 4 books)
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a cute story! While technically a novella, Calvert delivers a full story—with a beginning, middle, and end (something that is hard to pull off in a shorter story). Of course the main characters are the focus, but Rosalyn and Wanda provide a "supporting cast" that give readers added dimension. For me, the best part of the story was Aimee connecting with the memory of her mother, who died 10 years before. It was sweet and compelling and added yet one more layer, which I loved.

This novella can
Beth Erin
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-kindle
I love this story! What a great novella, the storyline wasn't rushed and it has a satisfying ending as well. Hope, faith, romance, and humor!
Toni Shiloh
Aug 06, 2016 rated it liked it
A sweet read.
Linda
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Candace Calvert is one of the few authors I've read, Christian or not, who I can depend upon to produce consistent five-star quality.

I only spotted two editing errors in the entire book, which a more casual reader might not even have noticed: Chapter 2, "It looks like big black bug." This should have had an "a" in front of "big."
Chapter 13, "I guess it will be awkward, physically, to try and manage ---"

Now some will be asking, what's wrong with that? Let me rewrite the sentence using a synonym:
Jan
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Wonderful!

This was probably the most fun read I have had in a long time! It was a beautiful romantic story that takes place for the most part in a hospital but with endearing twists and turns in the lives of the colorful characters. Several poignant phrases in perfect harmony with the story that made me laugh out loud. The story reminded me of O'Henry's Gift of the Magi but the gifts were strawberries and rhubarb! This is definitely a story I will recommend to all my friends and family!
Amanda (Books, Life and Everything Nice)
Such a sweet, heartfelt novella from Candace Calvert about what really matters most in life. Friends, family, following your passions, serving others, and enjoying life are the main themes in this story. Great reminders for all of us to live our best lives. The Recipe follows Aimee, a dietary assistant at the hospital, with big dreams to win a baking contest and scholarship to culinary school. Along the way she figures out what is most important to her. And the sweet romance doesn’t hurt one bit ...more
✨ Gramy ✨
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
If this is the book I remmeber, I really enjoyed it. And it was clean!

She was a nurse at a hospital and is blackmailed into taking care of a patient.

Her ultimate dream is to become a chef and she is entered into a cooking contest that could help her on her path to her dream, but ends up eating her strawberries, an ingredient for the contest, with the patient instead of saving them for the contest...but miracles happen and magical feelings develop.

You will have to read to taste the final produc
RaChelle Holmberg
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT novella, touching from page one until the last page, excellent characters, my favorite was the Developmentally disabled roommate, probably because we have a person like that in our family - the novella can be read in one (long) sitting and JUST the thing you need on a bad day, or a beach read. I really enjoyed it.
Melody
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: just-ok, read-again
This was a cute, quick read. It moved at a swift pace, but considering the length of the story, that’s not too surprising. I really enjoyed it; even though it was short, it got deeper than I expected. I feel like if the author wanted to, the plot line could be really fleshed out and could be made into a full-length novel.

3 1/2-4 stars.
Meagan
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A sweet, sweet story!

I loved this novella. The characters are endearing (even Wanda), and the talk of food is “scrummy” (as Mary Berry of “The Great British Baking Show” would say). A festive Valentine’s read. And yay for the recipe at the end!
Leo Saguisag
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short but satisfying

Good quick read. The recipe at the end was a pleasant bonus. Characters were easy to relate to since most people aren't extremely broken or riddled by complicated circumstances.
Elizabeth
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, own
This was super sweet! It didn't end like I thought it would at all which is a good thing! I've never read anything by Candace Calvert before, but now I want to see what else she's got up her sleeve!
Tamara
  • Better Not Love Me
  • On the Edge
  • Butterfly Season
  • At Her Service
  • Three Little Words (Walker Family, #0.5)
  • Twenty-One Trees
  • Love on the Air
  • How Sweet It Is (Heart of Carolina #2)
  • The Buck Pass
  • The Doctor's Unexpected Family (Port Provident: Hurricane Hope #2)
  • The Price of Fame (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #14)
  • Chaperones
  • Bookishly Ever After (Book Nerds and Boyfriends Collection #1)
  • How To Catch A (Rock) Star
  • Secretly Yours (Riverbend Romance #1)
  • A Tide Worth Turning
Former ER nurse, wife, Mom and grandmother, Candace Calvert believes that love, laughter, and faith are the best medicines of all. Her Mercy Hospital, Grace Medical, and Crisis Team series for Tyndale House offers readers charismatic characters, pulse-pounding medical drama, romance, humor, suspense--and a prescription for hope. Think, “Grey’s Anatomy finds its soul.”

Chance of Loving You (1 books)
  • Chance of Loving You