Start by marking “Kate Remembered” as Want to Read:
Kate Remembered

Kate Remembered

For seven decades Katharine Hepburn played a leading role in the popular culture of the twentieth century - reigning as an admired actress, a beloved movie star, and a treasured icon of the modern American woman. She also remained one of the most private of all the public figures of her time.

In 1983 - at the age of seventy-five, her career cresting - the four-time Academy
Published September 7th 2004 by Berkley Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Kate Remembered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kate Remembered

Linda
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Audio read by Tony Goldman. What a delightful audio book! I laughed out loud several times and Mr. Goldman does an excellent job with Ms. Hepburn's voice. I don't know if I realized what a wicked sense of humor she had. She was very family oriented, was known to fall in love with some of her leading men and enjoyed the simple things in life. Spencer Tracy was the love of her life but they never married. If you are a Kate fan you will enjoy this book!!
Tony
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, history
Kate Remembered - A. Scott Berg – 20120804

I have read this biography twice, or actually read it once and listened to it once. It might very well be the best biography I have ever read.

Having first read the book from the library (and then purchasing it) I was to leave on a business trip and saw the audio book at the library. During my long drive I listened to the audio book.

Either version is highly, HIGHLY, recommended by me. The twists and turns, names and dates, understanding of the film indust
Blythe
May 21, 2007 rated it liked it
I thought this book had some really great moments and was perfect in that it was written by a close friend of kh's(not some random biographer), but also a person renowned for writing biographies. A little too much about the writer at the beginning, but all and all very fun to read about the amazing personality that was katharine hepburn. I made a list of must-see old movies to rent while reading.
Barb
Jul 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kate Hepburn fans
Shelves: biography
This is not an objective book about Katherine Hepburn and the author makes this clear up front. This is an homage to a friend by a friend who happens to be a writer. In a way, this makes it more enjoyable and fun to read for a Kate Hepburn fan. There are no new revelations, but then Hepburn revealed all while she was alive. So this is just a fun read that feels like you were invited to sit in while friends talked.
Natalie
Recommended for: Katharine Hepburn fans and Golden Age film buffs

Buddy Read with Samantha Glasser

Wow! This was a well-written and informative book. I enjoyed all the background information. I also thought that the reader gave a good performance. It was so refreshing to learn more about one of the Old Hollywood stars that I consider my favorite. In my opinion, the sheer length of almost 400 pages of the hard copy of the book makes it more ideal to listen to it than to read it. I also think that i
Bruce
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not the type of book I would normally read, initially I thought that it was not too bad. It is indeed as the author states a personal biography that is heavily influenced by his personal acquaintance and interactions with Katharine Hepburn. It is very readable but it does not concentrate enough on the subject of the biography. A. Scott Berg tends to weave in his own personal acquaintances with other Hollywood celebrities and indeed devotes a significant number of words to the life and opinions o ...more
Olivia
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Although this book is not bad it does seem a little pointless since about 95% of information in it was already available in Katharines autobiography 'Me'. The other part is about the author and is self serving. He goes on about the other famous people he knew, how great his other books are, and how great Kate thought he was. He's not unlikeable but does seem a little into himself. The strange part is he helped Kate put together her book so he knew exactly what was in it. Why did he feel the need ...more
Morgan Wiley
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved every bit of this book. Every page. Every word. Mr. Berg made me laugh the whole way through his journey of his friendship with Ms. Hepburn. It's not a thousand pages about her youth or a troubled personal life, etc. It's a poignant, well-pieced together story of a woman who knew exactly what she wanted out of life. Mr. Berg's description of Kate made me want to be her best friend, to be like her, to know her through and through. I often find myself reading biographies but having no opin ...more
Shannon
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is really good and it's got really interesting facts. The relationship b/t Scott and Kate is fun and quirky. And the insight on Kate's life and her relationships was so interesting. You can't help but like her even more.
Melissa
Mar 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book! It's very personal, and not unbiases--which is the main part of the fun. I love Katharine Hepburn anyway, and it's good that I didn't read this with my netflix queue in the same room. If you're at all interested in Hollywood history, this is a must read!
Donna Davis
A. Scott Berg started out to write a magazine article for Esquire, and he wanted to include Hepburn. Knowing she seldom saw people, he got in touch with mutual friends in the hope it would open the gate for him.

It took a long time, but once the gate was open, it was open wide. Hepburn introduced him to her housemate and assistant as "my biographer", and his chin fell on the floor. The relationship began in the 1980's, and she made it clear that he was not to publish it until after her death.

I st
Chris Gager
Another "rescued" book. Reasonably entertaining hybrid of biography and memoir. The author became a pretty good friend of KH after approaching her for an interview about Sam Goldwyn. KH and my father were both kids growing up in Hartford, she about 5 years older, and their paths crossed some(according to him). She outlived him by about 25 years though. That's what smoking and too much booze will do. KH an example of a person whose life is fascinating and full of achievement but who's not that in ...more
John Yingling
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Katherine Hepburn has never been one of my favorite actresses; I must admit that up front. Nevertheless, this is an engrossing and at times touching account of the author's friendship with her over a number of years. Her personality would have me heading for the doors in a few minutes, but the author found common ground with her and learned how to deal with her at times prickly personality. And I did come to appreciate her acting skills through his stories of their discussions and through his re ...more
Joy H.
Added 5/29/14. (audio version)
Hear a sample here:

3/12/17 - I've been listening to an audio CD of this book. I loved it. I had forgotten that I had listened to it once before (although I knew I had read something similar about Hepburn, probably Me: Stories of My Life by Katharine Hepburn ). I'm changing my rating from 4 stars to 5 because I think the author has done a terrific job! I'm going to search for more biographies by him.

PS-The narrator of this audi
Sydney
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Katharine Hepburn fans
Recommended to Sydney by: Pat Gohring (My Mom)
I don't generally enjoy Biography, but this was different. Katharine Hepburn has always been one of my favorite actresses. She was such a strong, modern woman. She wasn't without flaws, but she was such a presence both on and off screen. Author Berg became part of her inner circle after convincing her to do an interview for Esquire magazine. He painted such an intimate portrait of her life. On the jacket of the book, he says he can't call this a biography, because he got too close to Hepburn to ...more
Jessica Morse
Jan 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes
Everything I could want to know about Katherine Hepburn.Berg captured the essence of who she was throughout her life on and off the screen. I received the hard over the day after it came out, when she died in 2003.
Minnie
Aug 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Good book. She was such a brilliant and beautiful actor..always spoke her mind and never minced wowrds. My favorite movie of hers was "The African Queen", and she talks a lot about the time spent on this movie.
Angie
Oct 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of old movies
I am a huge fan of Katharine Hepburn and found this book excellent at sharing her compelling life story. She meets and befriends so many odd famous people from the 1930s into the 2000s. I was simply mesmerized. The author's eloquent words appeared truthful and graceful, as Miss Hepburn.
Hilary Knause
Jun 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is the best biography on katherine hepburn out there. she became friends with the author before he became her biographer so there is a much more personal feel to the book than most biographies. i enjoyed every minute of this book.
Bethany
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoy biographies. I knew little of Kate before reading this book, so I learned a lot. great words of Hepburn wisdom about the meaning of life: "to work hard and to love someone. and to have a little fun along the way". it's not rocket science but it works for me!
Winter Sophia Rose
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating & Funny! The Essence Of Life Captured!
Aaron
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Writer Berg can't be accused of exploiting his subject or his uncommon friendship with Hepburn, as there are too many weekends at the beach, fireside chats and lots of fancy meals on TV trays. Hepburn obviously admired the author's skills and liked his companionship. The result is a personal look at one of the most anti-social actresses, with most of her less-than-congenial flaws exposed as well as her "charms".

There are self-evaluations, like her describing her young self as "fame-obsessed" an
Kiri Kayrooz
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit worried when I started reading this book that I would find out that Katharine Hepburn was unlikeable but this book was a fascinating portrait of her life. Hepburn met the author Scott Berg when she was in her 70s and they remained friends for the remainder of her life (she died in 2003 at age 96). Berg published the book after her death but it doesn't seem exploitative or try to whitewash Hepburn's flaws. Hepburn seemed to be pretty honest about mistakes that she had made in her life ...more
Bonnie
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I listened to this audio version and the first half was very good but the second half got tiresome. The author spent a lot of time talking about his other projects which, I didn’t think related to Hepburn that much. But I listened in my car and over all it was more entertaining than the radio stations available here.
Dawna
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This was wondeful. I laughed. I cried. I marvelled at the life of this incredible woman. This may legitimately be among my top 3 favorite biography/memoirs. Stunning. I didn't want to put it down. It's one I'd definitely like to read again one day.
Anne
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
This is a very interesting and intimate view into the life and mind of Katharine Hepburn, which is based upon the 30 year friendship between the author and the actress.
Simon
Aug 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Berg's real problem is that he only knew Katharine Hepburn at the end of her life, but then again I doubt she would have had time for him prior to that period. This is a once-over-lightly memoir, perfectly enjoyable to read. But it is what it is, which is to say a friend's recollection of a woman who was clearly fascinating at one point in her life, perhaps not as much during the twilight years. Characters that she knew pop in and out of the book. Some of them seem more interesting than Hepburn, ...more
Stephanie Montgomery
This is the most enjoyable book I have ever listened to on Audible. Listening to Tony Goldwyn (who, it was pointed out to me before I read it, is Samuel Goldwyn's grandson) read this book truly enhanced my enjoyment of it. It is also somewhat of a memoir, as Scott Berg "remembers" his friendship with Kate. I liked him, so his Pulitzer Prize winning "Lingbergh" is next on my nonfiction reading list. If you love Katharine Hepburn, you will love this book. Thank you Nick Harvill for the recommendat ...more
Lachlan Hazelton
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This is worth a look because it is from the perspective of an unexpected friendship. Through the long friendship of A Scott Berg and Kate Hepburn, the author provides more than a few of her unvarnished opinions about all things, plus the touching journey of their friendship as Kate tackles advancing age and all that comes with it. Really enjoyable look at one part of an interesting and fulfilling life.
Jenn
Oct 14, 2007 rated it liked it
I liked this book. But I went into it knowing very little about Kate. I really liked the beginning and the end, but the middle kind of dragged for me. I thought there was too much spent on, which actors were in every movie she made. I liked the stories about her life, but some of the parts about her career read too much like a resume for my tastes. She was a very interesting woman!
Silver Screen Boo...: APRIL 2017: Kate Remembered by A. Scott Berg 15 22 Aug 27, 2018 01:41AM

• An Affair to Remember: The Remarkable Love Story of Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy
  • Kate: The Woman Who Was Hepburn
  • Tracy and Hepburn
  • Myrna Loy: Being and Becoming
  • The Making of The African Queen Or How I went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall and Huston and almost lost my mind
  • Gracie: A Love Story
  • Marlene
  • The Whole Truth and Nothing But
  • Ava: My Story
  • Notorious: The Life of Ingrid Bergman
“Most of the Hartford crowd had left Fenwick by mid-September, but the big wooden Hepburn house, built on brick piles, was more than a summer cottage. Kate intended to stay there indefinitely—until the afternoon of the twenty-first, when a hurricane, which had been threatening the eastern seaboard all week, gusted northward, heading right for the Connecticut River. Kate swam and golfed that morning, but by the afternoon, the waters had turned ferocious, swamping the lawn and pounding against the house. After the chimneys toppled, the windows imploded, and a wing of the house snapped off, Kate, her mother, her brother Dick, and the cook fled to higher ground. They looked back and saw their uprooted house wash out to sea.
'I think,' said Kate looking back on that entire year, 'God was trying to tell me something.”
0 likes