Start by marking “The Colony” as Want to Read:
The Colony

The Colony

(Rasper #1)

Always have a weapon.

Sixteen-year-old Val lives by these three rules etched on her arm. Her rules and her gun are the only things standing between her and assimilation by hordes of human-looking aliens she calls Raspers.

By day, Val gathers supplies. By night, she hides and wishes she could go back in time…before her family died…before
Published April 5th 2016 by Leaf & Thorn Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Colony, please sign up.
Kathleen Groger Thank you so much for the question! I'm hoping by the end of the year.

Jasmine
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Colony is a young adult sci-fi story that has a Walking Dead meets V (or a similar type show) feel to it, and I have to say, it's one of my favorite reads of 2016. I couldn't put it down!

We have Val, the main character. She's 16, all alone, and trying to survive in a world that's gone to hell in a handbasket. She has rules she lives by, like don't go out at night and don't trust anyone. It isn't until she's out scavenging that she realizes those rules are no longer going to save her.

Saved by
Michelle (Bookaholic Banter)
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was full of non-stop action once you get past the first 20% of the book. When I first started reading this I didn't feel any connection to the characters and the writing just wasn't pulling me in. GIVE THIS BOOK A CHANCE! All of a sudden this book gets so much better and you won't be able to turn the pages fast enough! This book is proof of why I never give up reading a book if the beginning doesn't grab me. If I had done that I would have missed out on a highly imaginative book. EVERY ...more
Laura Thomas
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
So, the skinny is, scientists and Big Brother drill for what they think is the biggest oil deposit ever. What they raise is a plague on humanity. Many people die, and others are infected. Survivors are hunted by the Raspers, and the world crumbles.

You meet Val after the apocalypse started. She’s lost her parents and is surviving by three simple rules she keeps written on her arm.

Always carry a weapon.

This serves her well. But she soon has to bend those rules
Kerry
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Action packed and fast read. Will definitely recommend & can't wait to see what happens next!
Sheila
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-read-this-book
The Colony is a great book to read. It keeps you on the edge of your seat and don't want to put it down till the end.
Felicia
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a face paced, action filled read.
It's a story about an Alien invasion and how Val, a 16 year old girl survives it.

If you like Alien stories and YA because for me this could be considered a YA read then pick up this book. It's really fast paced and hard to put down, yet easy to follow kind of read.
BarbaraH
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Run for Your Life

Teens trying to survive as something chases them. You are safe if you Keep to yourself but how long will you Last alone, you have to sleep sometime
Very Good Si-Fi thriller!
BarbaraH
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Good Si-Fi with teens trying to survive in a world full of turmoil and strange things chasing after them
Tiffany
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved The Colony!!! I can't wait to read more from this series
Jackie
This was a somewhat out there take on zombies in a post apocalyptic setting with a young girl who just wants to survive.
Megan Murphy
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg

Loved this book I just stumbled apon this book and decided I'd give it a chance and I'm so glad I did !!!
Debbie Scott
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREAT SCI-FI

We loved it! The nonstop action keep us on the edge the whole time we were reading. The characters and storyline are very good. Thank you, Danny and Debbie Scott.
Sabrina
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic story! This book kept me intrigued and entertained for the entire read (only one night). Great characters, suspense, and doubt throughout and a storyline that twists and turns around the reader's ideas and assumptions. Very entertaining and very well done!
Tammie
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good

I first started reading and was reminded of the 5th wave series but this as different twists n turns to it. Good for both adults and young adults alike.
Kristin
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Val's been on her own for four months. Pretty much, from the moment the Raspers started to take over the world, she's been fighting to survive. She's been doing a decent job of it but recently it seems that the Raspers have evolved. They no longer wait until nightfall to come out. They no longer mimic the basic of human movements. No, now they are attacking in the daylight, wielding guns, and driving vehicles. Val finds herself throwing all of her old rules out the window when she teams up with ...more
Kimberly Vanderbloom
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was given a book in exchange for an honest review free of persuasion from the authors or anyone else affiliated with this book.

The government and scientist found the Great Discovery. It was supposed to be the biggest oil deposit ever known. The United States would no longer have to rely on foreign oil. Little did they know at the time that it wasn't oil that they were drilling in to. What they did release was a new life form that plowed through the United States. It would infect some and kill
Jessica Hansen
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it

Mesmerizing!

The Colony proved to be just as fast-paced & exciting as the synopsis promised!

With a world being taken by these things that are getting smarter, they're learning. Val knows what she has to do to survive....she's done it before. Being scared her whole life has kept her alive, but after realizing quickly that her own personal world is evolving as well, Val realizes that trusting Adam is the only way she might survive after all.

Along with their personal relationship being complica
Barb
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-packed
Wow, just Wow! What a ride! If your are looking for a fast-paced, edge of your seat, heart racing wild ride...This one is for you! The excellent imagination , story telling and general putting together and release of information of this Author's writing is amazing! I got this book because of all the great reviews on Amazon. ( and from my experience, usually they are so exaggerated, but not this time). They were dead on. This book is a non-stop adrenalin ride. So much so I am, for the 1st time in ...more
Karen Jenkins
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rasper Book 1 - The Colony

Really good book. It ended too soon and left me hanging. When is the next book coming out? Can't wait to find out what will happen.
Marie Lowry
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

I am an avid reader and have been for many years. I say this to emphasize that I have a very low tolerance for poor writing and character development. This book is well-written and the characters are likeable. This author took an over-used, worn out theme and revamped it. The protagonist is both tough and likeable. She grows, changes, and adapts over time. The author's excellent use of descriptive language pulled me into the story. Very intense at times!!! Can't wait for the next insta
Diana Long
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like The Walking Dead, you'll love this book!

**slight spoilers**
The Colony reminded me of The Walking Dead. If they took a character from the show and made this their backstory (*up until they meet up with the adults), it would fit in perfectly. The raspers are different enough from the tv show that they give this book its unique flavor. The twist on how they came to be was unique. Val was a great character and you were with her to the end.
Morgan
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
???

Non-stop action, not much rest periods to take in what's going on, and the character development was minimal and fast paced. It was ok. Original idea, not completely thought out. Great quick read though!
Joann
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Colony Was Fantastic!

This is my very first time reading anything by this author and I must say she’s very good at weaving her stories.
Because this book was awesome so awesome that I’m looking forward to reading more of this series!
kerri
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So so

Too far fetched. Won't read book 2. Not enough interest to continue. But enjoy if you go for it! Good luck and good read!!!!
Delayna Gonzalez-Keller
Very action-packed post-apocalyptic dystopian book. It's been a new take on the cause of an apocalypse, and I look forward to book #2.
Sandra Quinn
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down.

Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. Exciting right out of the gate. You feel like you know the characters.
Tiffany
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a stand alone so I was a little disappointed to find the story just ended.
Steven Mason
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

This book kept my wanting to read any free moment I had to the end. This book is a must read.
Katherine Paschal
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aliens, distopian

Val has been on her own for the last 4 months since the Great Discovery turned the world upside down. She lives by her own rules of survival, avoiding the inhuman Raspers and trying her best to stay alive. When she encounters Adam, the only person she has seen in that time, she is instantly leery. Adam ends up saving her life, and Val has no choice but to give him a chance. But Adam has a secret, one that Val may not be able to forgive. Can the two of them stay alive long enough to find answers
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Val a sixteen year old girl is fighting to for her life against the raspers. Raspers are human looking aliens that are evolving every day. The Raspers don’t come out during the day so that is when Val hunts for supplies but at night you better find shelter and lock yourself in or they will get you and maybe you will die or maybe you will become one of them, maybe.

Val has three rules that she lives by and they are:

Always have a weapon.

Val lives by these rules
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Beneath the Silver Rose (Shadyia Ascendant, #1)
  • The Between (Changeling's Choice, #1)
  • Ice Fall
  • Waterfall (The Water Crisis Chronicles)
  • Fallout New Vegas - Prima Official Game Guide
  • Omen Operation (The Isolation Series #1)
  • True Storm (True Born Trilogy #3)
  • The Wild Ones: Book 2
  • The Ice King: Snow White (Adult Fairy Tale, #3)
  • Sleeping Beauty (Not Quite the Fairy Tale, #8)
  • Taming Red Riding Hood (Fairy Tale Heat, #8)
  • The Forge King (The Dark Kings Book 6)
  • Impersonator (Forager Impersonator, #1)
  • Soul Finder (The Immortal Gene, #2)
  • We, the Jury: Deciding the Scott Peterson Case
  • Dragon Apocalypse: The Complete Collection
  • The Bitches of Enchantment: A dark princess fairy tale (The Everafter Trilogy Book 2)
  • Daughter of Lies: A Reimagining of Snow White (The Andari Chronicles Book 5)